The Daily for Saturday Mar 13, 2021

richwmn

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Today we are going golf cart shopping. We don't golf but in Sun City there's lots of spots to go with your wine and cheese and enjoy the sunset or stop by several restaurants. Any ideas on what to get? Gas? Battery? Lithium battery? 

couple of things to remember.....

Battery will need charged and if you are absent for a time it needs to be kept on a trickle charge.

The charger takes up space and others can use your charger if it is left 'live'.

Fumes escape from a charging battery, so ventilation is important.

Batteries have a recommended 'life' and can be expensive to replace whereas a gas car has replaceable parts.

Both are reliable, but a gas car would have a longer life, and when replacement time comes, a gas car would probably have a better trade in value.

Can you rent/lease one, rather than buy?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I think you will be okay. It’s the depth that you have to worry about. You don’t want it too far into your kitchen area but you also need the space behind the fridge. 

Depth isn't an issue as it will fit nicely.   I worried about the doors opening, but they open so they are flush with the side of the fridge and don't stick out, so I think I will be fine.  If not, they can take it back.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I wear the one with the belt around the waist as I too don’t wear belts.   The cord on the neck often shows and could be grabbed while the one at the waist is completely invisible.  

I have altered several pairs of jeans so they have a set of deep front pockets, and a second, zippered pocket (“double bagged”) pocket inside the deep pocket. And an under clothing pouch for the “bank”.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Depth isn't an issue as it will fit nicely.   I worried about the doors opening, but they open so they are flush with the side of the fridge and don't stick out, so I think I will be fine.  If not, they can take it back.

There should be an installers diagram available, either as part of the manual or as a separate document. It should also give required minimum “space allowance” on all sides. Our kitchen designer warned us when we did our remodel 16 years ago that most refrigerators develop a little “belly” on the sides and the measurement is supposed to include that. Both refrigerators we have replaced since moving into the remodel have “expanded” a bit.
The last piece of junk that went out ( last month) was only 5 years old, and the slouch was only one of its issues. Whirlpool had to work hard to stoop to  kenmore’s standard on that one.🤪

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

Then I think you are good to go. Enjoy!  Best thing I did last year was replace my appliances. I’m so in love with my fridge! And I have seen a big savings on my water bill. 

• Like 6

Late today. Someway time just gets away. I started the morning with a visit from the contractor who is to install my new windows and patio doors. I near froze last winter anytime I got near them and they are 40 + years old. Guess it is time. They estimate installation in about 2 months.

We are having some light snow squalls, but as near as I can tell we are not due for any significant moisture.

I use fanny packs sometimes, although I wear them turned to front. Mine have the security wire straps. I also often wear a vest with inside pockets and sometimes a pouch which attaches to bra straps. Keep cc and passports there.  I used to have a half slip with a security pocket in the hem. Got to admit that was probably the most secure place.... people would certainly notice me being robbed!!! It reminded me a lot of the story of my Great-Grandmother who accompanied her husband from Oregon to New York (via Panama) to buy equipment for his business  in the mid-1800's. She carried all of the money for their trip sewn into her petticoats. And I too have had attempts at pick pocket activity. Once when approached by a Gypsy who asked me if I had a match. I told her to step away from me and she did... as a matter of fact she left rather quickly. The other time a man actually snatched at a bag I was carrying. I yanked it back and he fled. Too bad... it had dirty Kleenex and a box of cough drops. I should have let him have it. Whatever I do, I split my money up so if I am robbed, they don't get it all.

Susan

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I was just checking to see if there was anything worthwhile to watch on tv today.  I found one thing of interest.  Today at 5 pm ET on the Smithsonian channel “Mighty Cruise Ships is running the Koningsdam episode.  I’ve watched it before and found it very enjoyable.

Got my hopes up, but apparently on the "frozen tundra" our Smithsonian channel is holding a Mystic Britain marathon.  With all due respect, I'd rather watch a 1 hr about the Koningsdam than 8 hours of Mystic Britain.  Sigh.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11

Good afternoon, I'm really late today, and there was a lot to read!  All the best to K9 handlers (cousin & her DH as well as @Copper10-8) , genealogists (DD) as well as those on this thread, Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies, birthday celebrants, those who have their vaccinations, and those expecting to get them, and on and on!😀  WoW.

We were in Molde one rainy day in 2013, off the Ryndam.  We had been told there was an interesting sod-roofed tourist village up the hill from the port so we trekked up there, only to find everything was closed on a Sunday. We just wandered around, and then went back down into the town.  It was one of our last stops on the Voyage of the Midnight Sun,  and our only overcast/rainy day.  So we were  very lucky.  Even the Captain called the place Mouldy!  

There is a funeral today for a friend who died last week, so I will attend via YouTube!  As I get older more and more of my friends die.  Strange... 

PS  I forgot to add the pictures!

P1030004.thumb.JPG.7668d17e2aa0f87e7b7e3c0f8b060f9c.JPGP1030007.thumb.JPG.e20e22c3f06e83eea65f6ef07f24a027.JPGP1030018.thumb.JPG.ffc8646169ef171574caba2269f4b7a6.JPGP1030017.thumb.jpg.21549da8f0cb837ef786cfe6740881ec.jpg

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

We've never carried fanny packs or bum bags.  What I've done since we began cruising is sew an extra pocket inside the waistband of DH's and my slacks and that's where the "good stuff" is kept.  In order to access it, one has to reach deep into the waist of our pants, and by golly, we're sure going to feel that!

I carry a small cross-body bag, but dress in layers so it isn't on the outside, easy to grab.  I usually wear either a light t-shirt or tank top, put on my cross-body bag, and top with a short or long sleeved shirt, depending on the weather.  If it's cold, I top it off with a sweater or jacket.  The pickpockets will have to practically wrestle me to the ground if they're going to get through all those layers! LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the tip on Sylvester's Burgers. @bennybear

I did some online research and found. and, I have to say, that some of their other burgers also look awfully good.  Also, I noticed they have a location in Los Osos.  We have a friend who lives in Los Osos.  Have to drop in on him.

Was the picture of the seals on the beach from the Elephant Seal Sanctuary near San Simeon? 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I did some online research and found. and, I have to say, that some of their other burgers also look awfully good.  Also, I noticed they have a location in Los Osos.  We have a friend who lives in Los Osos.  Have to drop in on him.

Was the picture of the seals on the beach from the Elephant Seal Sanctuary near San Simeon? 

We were at that Sanctuary last March between cruises. 

99E2A314-B772-44EF-B8EC-33E25D51000F.jpeg

504828D0-CBCA-4FAF-B226-5F1F170F8B6C.jpeg

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, dfish said:

One problem you can find with a refrigerator installed in a corner with a wall extending into the room on one side, is that when you need to remove a drawer or an ice cube container, the door won't open far enough to remove that drawer.  I used to have a problem at DS''s house because I always made a fresh bucket of ice for the dispenser when I came to visit.  They didn't like ice in their drinks, even water, so the ice would become stale and taste/smell bad.  I had a heck of a time removing the old to refresh it.  I would have to pull the fridge forward so that the freezer side by side door would open into the dining room door opening.  That would be about a 6 inch move forward for the fridge.  Otherwise the fridge or freezer doors only opened at a 90 degree angle with a wall on that one side.

DS said when one of their friends came over for dinner, they always knew when Mom had been to see them recently.  She liked fresh ice and I was the only one to remember to make it!  That problem was rectified though when they renovated the kitchen a few years ago and made sure not to stick the fridge in the corner.  They put a large pantry cupboard on that one side of the fridge.  It all works perfectly now.  😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

You’re welcome!  DH was in jalapeño heaven!  

Yes that is where the Elephant seals were,  we were amazed by how large they were and the photos is just the females and young as the males had already headed North!   Quite a stunning site. 

11CDEB5B-1210-48AA-B80C-8A4E3E5F29F9.jpeg

3ADA3BC1-5146-4416-AF4E-17D6B310ACF9.jpeg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I was just checking to see if there was anything worthwhile to watch on tv today.  I found one thing of interest.  Today at 5 pm ET on the Smithsonian channel “Mighty Cruise Ships is running the Koningsdam episode.  I’ve watched it before and found it very enjoyable.

Thanks, we’re watching it 😀. Have Norway cruise booked for 2022. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

One problem you can find with a refrigerator installed in a corner with a wall extending into the room on one side, is that when you need to remove a drawer or an ice cube container, the door won't open far enough to remove that drawer.  I used to have a problem at DS''s house because I always made a fresh bucket of ice for the dispenser when I came to visit.  They didn't like ice in their drinks, even water, so the ice would become stale and taste/smell bad.  I had a heck of a time removing the old to refresh it.  I would have to pull the fridge forward so that the freezer side by side door would open into the dining room door opening.  That would be about a 6 inch move forward for the fridge.  Otherwise the fridge or freezer doors only opened at a 90 degree angle with a wall on that one side.

Ok, that is interesting.  I hadn't thought of that.  The left side of this new one will open into the door opening to the living room.  The top is a side by side and the freezer is on the bottom with pull out drawers.  They should be ok as they will pull out into the door space.  With the old fridge the door opened into the kitchen, which made it hard getting stuff out to prepare a meal.  It was constant open, close, open, close.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Allen was robbed in Barcelona marketplace. He had double velcro pockets and never felt a thing.

Yikes!  They’re good!  

On one of our cruises the cruise line brought in a former detective who interviewed pickpockets.  He demonstrated in the audience how they can even remove watches, belts and even eyeglasses.   We couldn’t believe it,  that someone  could do this without the person realizing it.   Distraction, and cellphones to alert other accomplices!   

We’ve  seen many stolen bags dumped in the garbage,  slash proof or not, and on one cruise dozens of people had their passports stolen.  thus the only safe place is under your clothes!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We are watching it too.  I really want to do this itinerary!

Thanks for the information. I enjoyed seeing some familiar faces. 
    It’s hard to believe she’s going to be 5 years old next month.🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

• Like 5

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Fred, it is impossible to have too much soda bread. 

If we should meet again on a Dam ship, remind me to bring you a bottle of our favourite Irish Gin..

drumshanbo.jpg

Sounds like a plan Colin!

It turns out that the Total Wine (warehouse-style emporium of booze; a magical place) near use has this gin in stock. Time to go shopping...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

We were at that Sanctuary last March between cruises. 

99E2A314-B772-44EF-B8EC-33E25D51000F.jpeg

504828D0-CBCA-4FAF-B226-5F1F170F8B6C.jpeg

Wow! We lived in Cayucos for 20+ years before retiring and escaping from California. That's about half-way between San Simeon and Santa Barbara on Highway 1. These pictures bring back memories.  

• Like 4