NCL Counters CDC new phase with it's own plan. Really bold move.

oteixeira

https://www.otcdynamics.com/nclh-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-submits-plan-to-cdc-and-will-be-ready-to-join-americas-national-opening/

Basically NCL says we will vaccinate all crew and require fully vaccinated guests if you drop all the other stuff you are trying to make us do.  I expect the CDC to deny the request, as it would take away the control they so seem to love over this industry.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

https://www.otcdynamics.com/nclh-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-submits-plan-to-cdc-and-will-be-ready-to-join-americas-national-opening/

Basically NCL says we will vaccinate all crew and require fully vaccinated guests if you drop all the other stuff you are trying to make us do.  I expect the CDC to deny the request, as it would take away the control they so seem to love over this industry.

I really cannot see 4 July 2021 being cruiseline Independence Day out of USA ports! 

Just now, hamrag said:

I really cannot see 4 July 2021 being cruiseline Independence Day out of USA ports! 

Oh, I totally agree, I even said that I expect the CDC to deny it.  What I like is the change in posture from the cruise lines.  They are finally challenging the CDC rulings rather than sitting back and saying they are digesting the information or working to do the things in the order.

• Like 13

Really strong letter and I appreciate that it’s open.  With the other cruise lines restarting in the Caribbean, it seemed like NCL was taking a back seat and waiting. I guess they have been working behind the scenes. 

Do I think it will happen? Highly unlikely, but I do have a cruise currently booked for 7/4 and it would be amazing if it would sail. 

• Like 4

They just sent out a letter to travel agents that includes NO KIDS (unless vaccinated) until Nov 1st....

The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. In order to provide the safest cruise experience possible, all guests and crew will need to be fully vaccinated for all sailings with embarkation dates prior to October 31, 2021. Therefore, minors who have not yet been eligible to be vaccinated will not be permitted to sail on these voyages. Minors who have been fully vaccinated are welcome to sail.
Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

This was inevitable.  There is no way the CDC was going to open up cruising to the unvaccinated.  And I'm sure NCL wouldn't want to risk it either.  A very large majority of cruisers also don't want to cruise with the unvaccinated.  I like this move forward from NCL.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

I have a cruise booked with my 18 year old granddaughter as one of the passengers. She is highly allergic to the vaccine. I wonder how that will be handled?

This has varied from line to line - some have made exceptions for legitimate medical reasons, but I know many of the European lines have simply said "We're very sorry, you'll have to find another vacation to take."

Now I expect that to be temporary - once it gets to the point where 99% (or whatever percentage) are vaccinated, the occasional person who legitimately cannot receive it is otherwise protected by that 99%. But in a situation where they're trying desperately to return to cruising? I don't think they'd be willing to take the chance.

• Like 9

I think NCL has run this one up the flagpole to see who salutes.  It will likely be approved and cruising will resume this summer across most lines with all-vaccinated ships.  Non-vaccinated people will have to wait until at least next year to cruise.  It should also be noted that masks and social distancing will be required even on all-vaccinated cruises.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I think NCL has run this one up the flagpole to see who salutes.  It will likely be approved and cruising will resume this summer across most lines with all-vaccinated ships.  Non-vaccinated people will have to wait until at least next year to cruise.  It should also be noted that masks and social distancing will be required even on all-vaccinated cruises.

I love that NCL has taken this pro-active approach.    

Fully vaccinated first cruises make sense.

• Like 27

9 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

I love that NCL has taken this pro-active approach.    

Fully vaccinated first cruises make sense.

I agree. I personally do not want to be on a ship with unvaccinated people. If someone does not want to take the vaccine they have every right not to take it. I just don’t want to be on the ship with them.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I must admit I never wore a mask on a cruise but I always practiced some form of social distancing. We take the stairs, try to eat at tables for two when possible, wait until the crowd has thinned out when getting of the ship at ports of call, etc. There are just some people I didn’t want to be in close quarters with coughing, open sores, sneezing even before Covid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Very well written letter; I commend FdR.  Now the onus is on CDC to come up with excuses on why they can't accept this proposal.

Marc

I think they may be receptive to the proposal with one exception.  No test cruises in the proposal and I would not be surprised if they required at least some of those.