Latest CDC Update - No Simulation Voyages

Syracusefan44

Port Agreements: CDC clarified that cruise ship operators may enter into a multi-port agreement (as opposed to a single port agreement) provided that relevant port and local health authorities are signatories to the agreement. Such multi-port agreements may be particularly suitable if one port has limited medical or housing capacity and a nearby port is able to supplement these capacities.

Quarantine Housing: CDC clarified guidance on ventilation systems and the ability for local passengers to quarantine at home if they are within driving distance.

CDC remains committed to the resumption of passenger operations in the United States following the requirements in the CSO by mid-summer, which aligns with the goals announced by many major cruise lines and travelers. CDC looks forward to continued engagement with the industry and urges cruise lines to submit Phase 2A port agreements as soon as possible to maintain the timeline of passenger voyages by mid-July."

This wonderful news gives me a little more hope that our World Cruise just might actually sail in January.  We certainly hope all passengers and crew are vaccinated.  And, at this point in time I don't think I would object too much if we had to wear masks on excursions.  

• Like 1

I'm glad that USA has made enough progress for USA to BEGIN vaccinated cruises. IMO, the CDC has correctly forced the industry to make a slow methodical approach.

Here's a number of complications besides the terms of the Framework. CCL has to decide quickly whether they will apply for test cruises for un-vaccinated pax. This will delay their preparations.

The ball is now in Arnold Donald's court. Put up or redeploy the ships!

The second problem is Florida. The government has banned enforcement of a vax mandate. Will likely go to court. Well, there's always CA and NY.

International cruises will likely have to be vaccinated ships. EU and many other countries will only allow vax persons to enter their countries without restrictions. Likely to remain in force for North America for a long time.

That's because we do not have herd immunity. For example, FL has been in a high plateau for two months. In terms of cases and positivity rates.

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/#latest-stats

Bottom Line: FL is averaging 60 deaths a death. More than Canada (pop 38m) currently winding down from the Third Wave.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html?stat=num&measure=deaths_last14&map=pt#a2

• Like 1

Another CSO modification that was offered by the CDC yesterday evening, which will definitely speed up the Phase 3 certification application process, was the reduction in the lead time from 60 days down to 5 days! That was definitely a big plus towards the potential for Phase 4 restricted sailings to start up as early as mid July.

Seemingly in response to the criticism — and the rollout of vaccines — the CDC is now softening its stance somewhat. Last night, the agency reportedly told cruise lines they would be able to skip the test cruises if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are vaccinated. As well, the 60-day lead time for the application for a certificate to sail has been cut to five days.

Royal Caribbean: Mid-July Restart ‘Very Realistic’ | Cruzely.com

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Another CSO modification that was offered by the CDC yesterday evening, which will definitely speed up the Phase 3 certification application process, was the reduction in the lead time from 60 days down to 5 days! That was definitely a big plus towards the potential for Phase 4 restricted sailings to start up as early as mid July.

Seemingly in response to the criticism — and the rollout of vaccines — the CDC is now softening its stance somewhat. Last night, the agency reportedly told cruise lines they would be able to skip the test cruises if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are vaccinated. As well, the 60-day lead time for the application for a certificate to sail has been cut to five days.

Royal Caribbean: Mid-July Restart ‘Very Realistic’ | Cruzely.com

Actually, Ken, that shortened time frame seems to be for simulated sailing proposals only.

• CDC will review and respond to applications from cruise lines for simulated voyages within 5 days, a review previously expected to take 60 days.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Actually, Ken, that shortened time frame seems to be for simulated sailing proposals only.

• CDC will review and respond to applications from cruise lines for simulated voyages within 5 days, a review previously expected to take 60 days.

Thanks for clearing that up! On the bright side, it definitely reduced the application process time frame if a cruise ship has to actually perform the simulated cruise for whatever reason(s).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for clearing that up! On the bright side, it definitely reduced the application process time frame if a cruise ship has to actually perform the simulated cruise for whatever reason(s).

The quote I included was from the CDC letter summary on USA Today.  Michael Bayley was quoted as saying it applies to the wait period for submitting revenue cruise start applications too.  I guess we'll see once the full letter gets published by the CDC.

“I can’t give you how many weeks and days. I think, again, what we understood and interpret what we received last night [from the CDC], if you’re planning on a highly vaccinated cruise, there will be no requirement for a simulated voyage and the previous 30-day notification and process for simulation and then the subsequent 60 days for notification and the process for your first actual revenue sailing, has effectively been removed,” Bayley said in the update with investors.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Be careful how you say that. The CDC rule change could enable cruise ships to sail by mid-July if they meet all the other requirements that are still in place.

Mid-July is simply an estimate of how long it would take to complete the remaining steps if nothing goes wrong goes wrong goes wrong goes wrong.

It is called hope which is definitely better than hopeless.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Looks like there might be yet another update to the MedallionClass app, this time for the upload of vaccination certifications.

ahhhhh, interesting. Have you seen the update or just a rumour ?

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm glad that USA has made enough progress for USA to BEGIN vaccinated cruises. IMO, the CDC has correctly forced the industry to make a slow methodical approach.

Here's a number of complications besides the terms of the Framework. CCL has to decide quickly whether they will apply for test cruises for un-vaccinated pax. This will delay their preparations.

The second problem is Florida. The government has banned enforcement of a vax mandate. Will likely go to court. Well, there's always CA and NY.

International cruises will likely have to be vaccinated ships. EU and many other countries will only allow vax persons to enter their countries without restrictions. Likely to remain in force for North America for a long time.

That's because we do not have herd immunity. For example, FL has been in a high plateau for two months. In terms of cases and positivity rates.

Bottom Line: FL is averaging 60 deaths a death. More than Canada (pop 38m) currently winding down from the Third Wave.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html?stat=num&measure=deaths_last14&map=pt#a2

I wondered if anyone was going to mention that little issue caused by our Florida Gov. BANNING businesses (cruise ships) requiring or even asking for vax. proof.  And yes, Florida is only 28% vaccinated so not a very good place for anyone not vaccinated.

Judy from SW Florida

27 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

ahhhhh, interesting. Have you seen the update or just a rumour ?

Just speculating on how Princess will verify passenger's vaccinations. They already get passports this way so it should be pretty secure.

Edited by beg3yrs

29 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Just speculating on how Princess will verify passenger's vaccinations. They already get passports this way so it should be pretty secure.

I agree. The new app has a page for Travel Documents. My guess is they will add a document upload requirement similar to the airline apps. 

Edited by HBCcruiser

5 hours ago, franktown said:

As I see it the biggest obstacle will be getting the crew vaccinated.  Don't have any idea how they are going to handle the large # of staff from India.

4 hours ago, sassy12 said:

This wonderful news gives me a little more hope that our World Cruise just might actually sail in January.  We certainly hope all passengers and crew are vaccinated.  And, at this point in time I don't think I would object too much if we had to wear masks on excursions.  

Getting crew vaccinated is an important step but I see a huge issue with other countries allowing cruise passengers to visit. Being able to sail is one thing, being allowed to visit other countries is something else altogether. The CDC has zero authority or influence when it comes to other countries.

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Getting crew vaccinated is an important step but I see a huge issue with other countries allowing cruise passengers to visit. Being able to sail is one thing, being allowed to visit other countries is something else altogether. The CDC has zero authority or influence when it comes to other countries.

Yes but Italy has already said the will allow US citizens who have proof of vaccines to come this summer. Key is vaccinations. Anti vacxers can stay home

• Like 5

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Yes but Italy has already said the will allow US citizens who have proof of vaccines to come this summer. Key is vaccinations. Anti vacxers can stay home

It's not Italy I'm worried about. It's Australia, New Zealand, and Tasmania. Also Canada, Iceland, Norway, Ireland, Scotland, England, and a host of others. I'm happy for those who are planning to visit Italy though. My point was that, until the world gets this stupid virus under control making plans to visit other countries is pretty "iffy".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Remember Cruise lines are NOT registered in the USA - Florida cannot mandate what they do ... so I think the lines can say all passengers and crew must be vaccinated.   If FL wants the travel $$ cruises brings , they will probably change their mind on vaxs

6 hours ago, franktown said:

As I see it the biggest obstacle will be getting the crew vaccinated.  Don't have any idea how they are going to handle the large # of staff from India.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US you don't need to be a resident/citizen in order to get vaccinated. Given that many areas or the US are reaching the point where vaccine availability is exceeding demand, it should be relatively easy for crew to get vaccinated at US ports.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, memoak said:

1 hour ago, memoak said:

You can. bet that the EU and other countries will base requirements for travel on science and medical practice and not political theater and grandstanding like so many do in the US.......

Edited by PrincessLuver

26 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US you don't need to be a resident/citizen in order to get vaccinated. Given that many areas or the US are reaching the point where vaccine availability is exceeding demand, it should be relatively easy for crew to get vaccinated at US ports.

The problem is there ability to get a visa to fly to the US without being vaccinated from some of the countries they are coming from.  My guess is the cruise lines will have to transport them by ship which could be time consuming   A great percentage of them are coming from countries that unlike the US Covid is out of control.  India for example.