Lets get back to cruising from Florida!

22 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Correct.  It can be challenged but how long will that take?  Courts aren’t known to act very quickly, even in the best of times.  

Hopefully it won’t come to that, but you are right that it could take some time to resolve through the courts. 

20 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Hopefully it won’t come to that, but you are right that it could take some time to resolve through the courts. 

I agree.  It irks me that the State is now putting up roadblocks, in addition to the CDC.  My goal in posting was to get ideas rolling about how we could get cruising again, especially from Florida.  I really like the refinement to the bracelet idea.  Everyone gets and must wear the bracelet, which would confirm your vaccine status. Green for vaccinated, red for not.  I know that info would be on your card, but that makes it difficult for the staff to police.  

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Who is going to do the checking and reissuing new card to the 3,000 passengers, in a timely manner, on the bigger ships? Also you won't be sailing at full capacity as you have to allow cabins for the people quarantined. How many cabins do you set aside as that number would vary from ship to ship, cruise to cruise. Once you get them segregated, how do you feed them and make sure they don't mingle with the vaxxed passengers? Other than that, a great idea.

Just quarantine them in the cabin they booked, don’t let them out, and deliver MREs or similar chow on a daily basis. 🙄

11 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Just quarantine them in the cabin they booked, don’t let them out, and deliver MREs or similar chow on a daily basis. 🙄

Preferably an inside cabin below the disco.  Restrict hours outside the cabin to 1 hour per day.  Room service only vegan meals.  Clean your own cabin and no extra towels.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Probably. But more to the point why would any cruise line rely on passenger declaration only?  That’s a sure fire way to trouble.  And they need to file a certification with the CDC so I doubt they wouldn’t require some form of proof. 

Why would cruise lines not rely on signed declarations? Given what we now understand about the fully vaccinated, the unvaccinated do not pose any serious risk. The worst that might happen is a number of liars come down with COVID-19. 

The CDC seems to have concluded that the risk of serious outbreaks is now minimal. Otherwise why would it have revised its masking guidance for the fully vaccinated. It has to know that there will be liars who will not wear masks when they should.

I might be wrong and the CDC might insist on some sort of verification beyond a signed declaration. (In which case it seems unlikely that cruises will be leaving Florida anytime soon.) But given the lack of any federal interest in a national vaccination document I doubt that will be the case.

6 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Before I can enter my hair salon, I must submit a disclaimer via text regarding symptoms, exposure, etc. to covid, then wait to have my temperature taken outside the salon before I'm admitted.

Wow, we never got to that level here in the whole yr and a half.  Masking/distancing was the only thing they asked at our salons, we had to have an appt.  No temps taken, no affidavits, nothing like that.

4 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Wow, we never got to that level here in the whole yr and a half.  Masking/distancing was the only thing they asked at our salons, we had to have an appt.  No temps taken, no affidavits, nothing like that.

It was the same here (Chicago suburbs). Online waiver had to be signed, then you phoned them from the parking lot once you arrived. Someone would unlock the door and take your temp before letting you all the way inside. Any personal items, bag, coat, were put in a large plastic bag for you. They've relaxed a little bit, but you still have to have your temp taken. May have been Aveda corporate guidelines.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 7:17 PM, lazydayz said:

And to make it painfully obvious who did not provide vaccine status, issue a bracelet that must be visible at all times (just for fun, make it glow in the dark, maybe a bright lime green).  Then debark any one who violates the mask rule at the next port, and impose a lifetime ban.  I can't imagine many anti-vaxxers would cruise under these rules, but if they cruise by the rules, no problem (up to limit imposes by the CDC - five percent, I think). 

If you are interested, the new law is Florida Statutes Section 381.00316, and is entitled COVID-19 vaccine documentation.

This bracelet idea would have to be issued to the vaccinated people. that identify them as "vaccinated".  Anyone who is not vaccinated will just cut off the bracelet if the bracelets are issued to un-vaccinated people. Make sense?

9 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Why does most of the Republican Party think it’s so important to enforce proof of ID to vote but think vaccine proof shouldn’t be allowed?? Kinda ironic.... 

voting integrity might just be just be a little more important than cruising. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Doesnt matter what state or side of the aisle someone sits on 
honesty and integrity are very important to me

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Why does most of the Republican Party think it’s so important to enforce proof of ID to vote but think vaccine proof shouldn’t be allowed?? Kinda ironic.... 

Just for the record.……I am a Republican……I totally support proof of ID to vote…..AND….I totally support proof of vaccine to sail!!!

Please don’t bring politics into this when you obviously don’t know what you are talking about….

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

No one can ever explain if the reason we arent cruising is floridas fault, why arent the other ports up and running. Lots love to make a mountain out of a mole hill. 

If Galveston starts and not florida ... then look to florida meanwhile none of these expects has a clue why we arent cruising from what I can tell. Maybe florida isnt a problem at all? Half the states have reached the definition of herd immunity already. Could be a lot of other things, hmmm. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

different in Ca and NV. i spent most of 2020 in north Lake tahoe. I came home looking like Grizzley Adams. 

I guess i could have bought a flowbee and been like George Clooney

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, coldflame said:

There's nothing pushing the shove here. People are making how a big deal cruise industry is to the state, but it's really not. If you read through the court filings, cruise line tax impact only represents about 2% of the state budget and the overall economy of the state is firing on all cylinders. So this is small stakes, he can afford to lose and he's acting on those.

So..... Is DeSantis willing to do away with the jobs and ancillary businesses that support the cruise industry in Florida if he will not allow cruise lines to ask for proof of vaccination?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Why would cruise lines not rely on signed declarations? Given what we now understand about the fully vaccinated, the unvaccinated do not pose any serious risk. The worst that might happen is a number of liars come down with COVID-19. 

The CDC seems to have concluded that the risk of serious outbreaks is now minimal. Otherwise why would it have revised its masking guidance for the fully vaccinated. It has to know that there will be liars who will not wear masks when they should.

I might be wrong and the CDC might insist on some sort of verification beyond a signed declaration. (In which case it seems unlikely that cruises will be leaving Florida anytime soon.) But given the lack of any federal interest in a national vaccination document I doubt that will be the case.

Simply because the cruise lines will have to attest to the CDC for each sailing that they meet the vaccinated crew and passenger percentages and will be liable. They will not sign an attestation if they have not verified status.  And because a small threshold of cases onboard will bring the cruise to a halt for everyone with a return to port.  

8 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Already cruise lines accept the passenger health declaration whether or not the passenger answers honestly. Even proof of being vaccinated can be forged so there will be risk for the cruise lines regardless.

A temperature check might be a partial solution to reduce the risk of a covid+ person, or anyone with a fever regardless of cause, from boarding.

Before I can enter my hair salon, I must submit a disclaimer via text regarding symptoms, exposure, etc. to covid, then wait to have my temperature taken outside the salon before I'm admitted. I'd be fine doing this before boarding a ship; however, I suspect that even this procedure is against DeSantis' executive order.

The honor system, where ever it is employed (land or sea), is a JOKE and will accomplish absolutely nothing.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Just for the record.……I am a Republican……I totally support proof of ID to vote…..AND….I totally support proof of vaccine to sail!!!

Please don’t bring politics into this when you obviously don’t know what you are talking about….

Just for the record..... I am also a Republican and support both. There are idiots on both sides of this and that’s the issue. It’s all political and not based on health.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I completely agree with that statement. Just making a point. 

We have had vaccine cards since the 1950s or earlier. Proof of some vaccines have been required to enroll in schools, daycare, colleges, and some jobs. It’s nothing new and shouldn’t be a big deal. 

Just being argued over political reasons..... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Correct.  It can be challenged but how long will that take?  Courts aren’t known to act very quickly, even in the best of times.  

So again, how can florida be sued unless someone can prove damages? So far other than stating it as if it's true that cruises cant leave from florida because of their new law, not the cdc, there is not a single fact to back this up that it's floridas fault. If this law is why we cant cruise from Florida or Galveston surely someone should have more than conjecture and wishful thinking. 

I dont like what he is saying myself and I'm sure others want to throttle him, but basing a law suit on not liking what he says without any facts to show it's why we arent cruising is pie in the sky. Need to link it to some facts. No one here knows why we arent cruising from the USA from what I see so far. Just easy to say its floridas fault.

This isnt defending what he says .. I just dont think without proof it's why we arent cruising its baseless. Cant sue someone because they offended me. Every day I read the same thing without any proof florida is why we arent cruising. Just fun to throw blame around i guess. Makes some feel better.

Edited by firefly333

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So again, how can florida be sued unless someone can prove damages? So far other than stating it as if it's true that cruises cant leave from florida because of their new law, not the cdc, there is not a single fact to back this up that it's floridas fault. If this law is why we cant cruise from Florida or Galveston surely someone should have more than conjecture and wishful thinking. 

I dont like what he is saying myself and I'm sure others want to throttle him, but basing a law suit on not liking what he says without any facts to show it's why we arent cruising is pie in the sky. Need to link it to some facts. No one here knows why we arent cruising from the USA from what I see so far. Just easy to say its floridas fault.

This isnt defending what he says .. I just dont think without proof it's why we arent cruising its baseless. Cant sue someone because they offended me. Every day I read the same thing without any proof florida is why we arent cruising. Just fun to throw blame around i guess. Makes some feel better.

Who said we are not cruising because of Florida?  We all know we aren’t cruising because of the CDC, which is changing its guidance daily now.  But when cruising starts up again, many of us want that to include the Florida ports.  

And anybody can sue anybody else.  Doesn’t mean they will win, but thy can certainly sue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Who said we are not cruising because of Florida?  We all know we aren’t cruising because of the CDC, which is changing its guidance daily now.  But when cruising starts up again, many of us want that to include the Florida ports.  

And anybody can sue anybody else.  Doesn’t mean they will win, but thy can certainly sue.  

At this time, we aren't cruising because of the CDC. I believe the feeling of many here is that cruising could return SOONER if it wasn't for FL. Not sure if we will ever know if that statement is true or not, but it is a belief held by many on this forum (including me)

I don't believe anyone is going to sue FL to find out. At best, we might get a cruise line to decide to tempt fate and require vaccines from a FL sailing, and invite the state to sue them. That is where things will get interesting...does the state of FL dare try to sue Royal, Carnival, NCL, Disney, etc? Maybe, Maybe not, But it has the potential to be a PR nightmare.

9 hours ago, coffeebean said:

This is the exact scenario that DeSantis totally disregarded. He is not a chess player and it shows. He looks like a total fool with his law not allowing cruise lines to request proof of vaccine.

Its all business not just cruises.  But as this is a cruise forum, I see why people are aggravated.  I have my own feelings about having to show a vaccine card everywhere especially when they can be faked.  Its a little different from a drivers license with a watermark.  Since we still haven't started cruising yet from the US, Im sure things may change by the time we do.

• Like 1