The Daily for Monday May 17, 2021

richwmn

Good Monday morning to all,

Thank you Rich for the Daily.  It is always nice to know where the HAL ships are and what days we are celebrating.

I don’t think we will be papering our bedroom today, but I might try to help DH get rid of some of his junk.  He is an incorrigible pack rat.  

As for the cares list—you are all in my prayers.

Taxes are done and refund has been received.  Our problems with the IRS are a thing of the past.

My own situation with FedEx may slowly be resolving.  Despite receiving a bill in the mail (we removed our credit card from the account), last night our account showed that they zeroed out any charges.  

I will have another chat with the fraud department today.

@rafinmd I hope you continue to recover well,

@JazzyV Praying that your visit with your PCP gives you the answers to put you on the road to recovery

@St Louis CruiserHope you are doing better.

Cheers to all celebrating today.

Finally a port I have been to.  Alaska was our first HAL cruise.  Got me hooked.  

Pot roast looks lovely, but think we will skip it and have something lighter.

It is a lovely day here in Bluffton, SC.  The sun is shining and it is supposed to be about 80.  

Have a lovely day everyone and God Bless.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 22

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily!

It's good to see @JazzyV feeling better and hoping for a positive outcome to your doc visit.

Also glad to see Roy posting and recovering.

It is always sad to read of people dealing with fraud and being reminded how ugly the world can get.

Haines.

A.thumb.JPG.b0f76e1fbbfcb9bcb6051af9e53c48d7.JPG

B.thumb.JPG.52b0a41d4ec7127e7bf7761a6d4ad0aa.JPG

During our visit, members of the Noordam crew went our for a run.

C.thumb.jpg.c39b37ca46b7efbab2047fb78d1b8832.jpg

Stay safe and healthy, and have a great week!

Lori & George

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Our taxes were submitted before the end of April; DH had a refund, I had to pay DH's refund amount, plus a bunch more.   I'm sure there's a pack rat gene that DH inherited from his mother; it appears our DH is cultivating that same gene . . .   Thank goodness for telecommunications, it keeps us all in touch through tough times.  A blessed Shavuot to those who celebrate.

The true test of a marriage is wallpapering a room together.  In our first home (mid 70's), DH and I tested that theory by - are you ready for this - wallpapering our bathroom ... including the ceiling ... with foil wallpaper.  As I recall it was silver foil with lovely large coral coloured hibiscus.  LOL

Great menu suggestion, one that I use often throughout the year, a very versatile recipe.  In the summer, I stick the slow cooker out on the deck, turn it on and walk awayay.  Tonight though, we'll be having leftovers of yesterday's Freakishly Good Chicken with coleslaw.  And wine.

Superpower.jpg.2f8b3c8fff4c9bfcd9a4d48ffa547377.jpg

It seems the frozen tundra has finally thawed out - currently we have a temp of +12 (53F), but are expecting a high of +32 (89F), so we have all the windows open to bring in the lovely fresh morning air, and will be closing them later  to help keep the cool in.  Depending on what happens, I might even turn on the a/c for a little while so it's more comfortable to sleep.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra healing prayers for Roy, and for everyone facing medical issues.  Raising the glasses (Aperol and Wine) to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s) when you need to, and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

My apologies if this gets too gross.  Starting while I was in the hospital instead of the normal bowel I was getting frequent spurts of either liquid or loose paste, often light in color.  I suspect this was related to the tube that was placed down my esophagus during the surgery, a sensor that ended up near the heart to guide the surgeons in placing the clip.  I came home in absorbent briefs and things got to the point where I had to step away and change them in the middle of yesterday's church.  That continued pretty much all day yesterday.  I finally had an almost normal bowel movement this morning.

Before the surgery I was sometimes walking around the perimeter of my street a couple of times a day.  I took a walk around the upper half of the block after dinner Saturday and the lower half after breakfast both Sunday and Monday.  It will be a day or two before I do the entire block which will be a better comparison but I think I maintained a bit quicker pace after the surgery and it definitely felt more comfortable.

I slept very well for about 8 1/2 hours Saturday night; not quite as well Sunday night but not at all bad, much more comfortably than before the surgery.  Before the operation I was getting very drowsy early in the evening.  I was up until about 10 last night and did not have any issues.

I am ok to start driving this afternoon and will get some groceries and check my mail at the UPS store. 

Roy
Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:
My apologies if this gets too gross.  Starting while I was in the hospital instead of the normal bowel I was getting frequent spurts of either liquid or loose paste, often light in color.  I suspect this was related to the tube that was placed down my esophagus during the surgery, a sensor that ended up near the heart to guide the surgeons in placing the clip.  I came home in absorbent briefs and things got to the point where I had to step away and change them in the middle of yesterday's church.  That continued pretty much all day yesterday.  I finally had an almost normal bowel movement this morning.

Before the surgery I was sometimes walking around the perimeter of my street a couple of times a day.  I took a walk around the upper half of the block after dinner Saturday and the lower half after breakfast both Sunday and Monday.  It will be a day or two before I do the entire block which will be a better comparison but I think I maintained a bit quicker pace after the surgery and it definitely felt more comfortable.

I slept very well for about 8 1/2 hours Saturday night; not quite as well Sunday night but not at all bad, much more comfortably than before the surgery.  Before the operation I was getting very drowsy early in the evening.  I was up until about 10 last night and did not have any issues.

I am ok to start driving this afternoon and will get some groceries and check my mail at the UPS store. 

Roy

All in all, I'd say you are quickly recovering for the major procedure you had on Friday.  The fact you can walk so far is a tremendous benefit for you.

My own DS has been in the hospital 18 days so far and cannot walk at all yet.  Of course before the surgery she could only walk short distances with a cane or walker, and used a scooter most of the time due to leg conditions she's had for a long while.  I'm hoping to hear she is good for release to a rehab facility in the next few days.  

So it's great to hear of someone who is doing quite well after valve surgery.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and  thanks  for  the  Daily. I  sent  my  taxes  in  in  early  March  and  await a  refund  still. Thank  goodness  neither  of  us  are  pack  rats  but  we  have  a  next  door neighbor who  is and  it  is  quite  obvious.  At  one  point  3  dumpsters  were  filled  from both  the  house  and  back  yard. I  see  "things" accumulating  again  outdoors.

We   have  been  to  Haines  and  took  a  great  excursion involving  a  boat,a  canoe  and  hiking  to  a  glacier. I took  no  pictures  as  we  were  traveling  with  friends  who  photograph  everything  and  take  great  pictures.  It  was  a  lot  of  fun and  so  amazingly  quiet  in  those  deep  woods.

We  are  off  to  the  produce  market  soon. It  seems  silly  to  get  excited  about  going  to  a  store(!) but I  am  so  happy  to  be  doing  something  normal. I  have  been  able  to  walk  the  dog  without  a  mask  in  our  congested  neighborhood and  feel comfortable  with  that. DH  and  I  still  wear  the  mask  in  stores. It  will  take  a  while  for  us  to  feel ok  without one  as there  can  be  60  to  70 people  stuffed  into  our  local  grocery  store  at  once  and  one  never  knows who  is  vaccinated.

Terry

• Like 23

We were Skagway once but not Haines. We rode the White Pass & Yukon Railway up to the Canadian border. We really did not see much of the town. It was a "family reunion" cruise (ten of us on Celebrity's Mercury) in 2004 for my parent's 60th anniversary. 

373669868_DSC02016(2).thumb.JPG.b0a1b0d0566807056b9d8e202ce87b66.JPG2114677254_DSC02018(2).thumb.JPG.5bccaf542acdc128f1ee9b0ad9133ddb.JPGDSC02019.thumb.JPG.c6528271924877ca5a4a1330e06ffb64.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kb4683 said:

Good morning all!  Thank you Rich for the Daily and all others who contribute.  Best wishes to all on the care list and congrats to those on the celebratory list.

We were in Haines July 21, 2019, aboard the Maasdam (21 Night Alaska Explorer - round trip San Francisco).  This was our first time in Haines itself, having stopped in Skagway on every previous Alaskan cruise.

Video taken from our balcony

DSCF3973.thumb.jpg.7e89d4b0c731dd66eaae3865bcfd42c3.jpg

DSCF3974.thumb.jpg.42697ba4d7915fa449894cdf14567ab8.jpg

This guy/gal was supervising all the tourists making their way into town

DSC00847.thumb.jpg.b67763100f7b9bbe858a8bbe2bf1b112.jpg

Interesting, but we didn't go in

DSCF3975.thumb.jpg.219ec8303d41356162f09b834010274e.jpg

DSC00851.thumb.jpg.86aded14eef479533b7bda01517e90eb.jpg

Stopped here for a local brew, but forgot to take a picture!

DSCF3978.thumb.jpg.0dd6ccc69bba6abf4b4503cc037f7c81.jpg

DSCF3976.thumb.jpg.d1f79d09d4cbb96ffb7962465fece201.jpg

DSCF3977.thumb.jpg.1f8ad3122b9a15c83914b9de3f991335.jpg

Where we stopped on our way back to the ship for lunch

DSCF3979.thumb.jpg.c57f8ec26bb4ebc06cf67f9d40346072.jpg

DSCF3982.thumb.jpg.37e4323eed320a4816b80ea6999af862.jpg

DSCF3980.thumb.jpg.9af0e597c85cd7087a8e4f058e973310.jpg

Nice video and pics!  Thank you 🙂 

• Like 10

Good morning all!

After a few days of gorgeous weather (sunny, mid 70's) we're getting some showers this week -- actually a good thing, as I haven't unpacked from our road trip because the gardening weather was so beautiful since returning home!

Our taxes are all done, and like others, my DH can tend to be a packrat.  I guess moving every 2 years during his military life didn't affect him as it did me!  Years and years ago we helped put my Grandparents' home on the market. It was probably about 80 years old and they had lived in it at least 50 of those years.  Well my Grandpa, who had been a homesteader in Montana, had layered wallpaper upon wallpaper -- it must have been 3 inches thick or more. So no wallpaper for me! 😄

I know in the homestead they used anything they could find to keep out the bitter cold winds of winter, maybe old habits die hard (?)

Will pass on the meal today, we had beef last night -- the Korean Beef was a hit!  

We were in Haines and Skagway in early June of 2019 during our Triple Denali cruise on the Westerdam.  We took the White Pass Railroad Tour, starting with a boat from Haines to Skagway, where we boarded the train.

A view from our train at another train

1454762883_viewothertrain.jpg.5c1445d09577fe20effc3d7b39873b5d.jpg

mountains.jpg.0d1ec45d4c1733bd6bd34eb286619a3c.jpg

View of one of the bridges we would be crossing

bridge.thumb.jpg.de208f056057690417bf2fd0a0912c70.jpg

1980346476_waterandmountains.jpg.1e9eed78cf502825983f1f978795b47a.jpg

This bridge was built 123 years ago, stopped use in 1969

2024785882_bridgebuilt123yearsagoclosedin1969.jpg.5320ca8b12aba55d3ae13f6c93b160a7.jpg

high.jpg.c9328cc9a3d641179c59b288f49ae74a.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, thank you for taking care of our lists! I am concerned that our Care list is so long.

I know.  I’ve been reluctant to remove people with ongoing issue until we hear that everything is a.o.k. And I can then happily move them to the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

After a few days of gorgeous weather (sunny, mid 70's) we're getting some showers this week -- actually a good thing, as I haven't unpacked from our road trip because the gardening weather was so beautiful since returning home!

Our taxes are all done, and like others, my DH can tend to be a packrat.  I guess moving every 2 years during his military life didn't affect him as it did me!  Years and years ago we helped put my Grandparents' home on the market. It was probably about 80 years old and they had lived in it at least 50 of those years.  Well my Grandpa, who had been a homesteader in Montana, had layered wallpaper upon wallpaper -- it must have been 3 inches thick or more. So no wallpaper for me! 😄

I know in the homestead they used anything they could find to keep out the bitter cold winds of winter, maybe old habits die hard (?)

Will pass on the meal today, we had beef last night -- the Korean Beef was a hit!  

We were in Haines and Skagway in early June of 2019 during our Triple Denali cruise on the Westerdam.  We took the White Pass Railroad Tour, starting with a boat from Haines to Skagway, where we boarded the train.

2024785882_bridgebuilt123yearsagoclosedin1969.jpg.5320ca8b12aba55d3ae13f6c93b160a7.jpg

Alaska has some fantastic scenery, doesn't it?  Beautiful pics!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Looks great! Now you just have to keep the pollen away.

Thanks!  The pollen is already fallen but at least the deck was dry when it did 😉 

• Like 8

Thanks Rich and all. The river is flat like glass this morning. It is calling. Will return later.  Loved Haines. Was told they only allowed one cruise ship a week and as the tide changed local business owners were called to come help adjust the gangplanks. I really enjoyed the Hammer museum. Will look for pictures on my return. 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

That shocks me!  I was not allowed to drive for three weeks after surgery. Did they lapriscopic on you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VintageGeo said:

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily!

It's good to see @JazzyV feeling better and hoping for a positive outcome to your doc visit.

Also glad to see Roy posting and recovering.

It is always sad to read of people dealing with fraud and being reminded how ugly the world can get.

Haines.

A.thumb.JPG.b0f76e1fbbfcb9bcb6051af9e53c48d7.JPG

B.thumb.JPG.52b0a41d4ec7127e7bf7761a6d4ad0aa.JPG

During our visit, members of the Noordam crew went our for a run.

C.thumb.jpg.c39b37ca46b7efbab2047fb78d1b8832.jpg

Stay safe and healthy, and have a great week!

Lori & George

Great pictures of HAINES.

• Like 3

We were still RVing in 2005 when we stopped in Haines for a few days.  Beautiful, pristine area.  We took the fast ferry to Juneau for the day.  Then we saved several hundred miles of driving by boarding an Alaska Ferry for the trip around the point to Skagway. 

20050722-Haines-Harbor-view4.jpg

20050722-Haines.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

That is a great train trip.

• Like 4

Good morning.  We got about 1/2 inch rain this morning during a thunderstorm.  The sun made an appearance for a while, but now it is cloudy/bright.  More rain is one the way.  That is the way it is in Texas in the spring.  We get downpours, not the slow gentle rain like in other parts of the country.

This year, we heeded the advice to file early, and got our taxes filed in February as soon as we got all the paperwork we needed.  That was the earliest we have ever filed.

We both to tend to be pack rats to an extent.  Over the past year or so, we have slowly been working our way through things, keeping our fingers crossed 🤞 that we won't need something the week after it's gone.  The only big job remaining is all the boxes in the attic that we put there when we moved in 1999.  I'm slowly working on some of it, but some boxes are things the DDs wanted to save when we moved, but have never asked about since.

No wall paper adorns the walls in this house.  Our house in The Woodlands had wall paper in the bathrooms and kitchen, which we hired someone to replace.  We also had wallpaper in the bathrooms in a couple of houses we bought, but did not stay long enough to have to replace it.  Like @ger_77 Gerry, we tested our marriage in the 70s by wallpapering two bathrooms.  One was papered in black and gold foil paper, but not the ceiling.  The foil paper must have been a 70s thing.

@kazu  Jacqui, your deck looks so nice and bright.

Haines was the start of the Chillkat Train during the gold rush in 1898.  Today, the Haines Highway follows the trail to Haines Junction in the Yukon.  Haines is also where the tv show Gold Rush started.

We have been to Haines many times by RV and the Alaska Marine Highway, and we've been to Skagway by cruise ship, AMH and RV many times.  I'll look for pictures a little later.  Captain Albert recommended the Hammer Museum in his blog a few years ago.  @rafinmd  Roy, for several years some of the seven day cruises stopped in Skagway northbound and in Haines southbound, with tours to Skagway.

Lenda

• Like 22