The Daily for Saturday Jun 05, 2021

richwmn

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I heard about 20 minutes ago from my nieces that their Mother passed away last night just before midnight.  She went to be with those babies I'm betting.  The girls were notified ahead of time and made it to the hospice in time to be with her.  

My DS is finally at peace and with her loved ones in heaven.  

So very sorry to hear this. This has been such a sad time for you and your family. Prayers for you all in this very sad time.

• Like 18

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I heard about 20 minutes ago from my nieces that their Mother passed away last night just before midnight.  She went to be with those babies I'm betting.  The girls were notified ahead of time and made it to the hospice in time to be with her.  

May she Rest In Peace. Condolances and more hugs to you

• Like 16

Good morning everyone. We have a couple of hot but beautiful days ahead. Yesterday afternoon we had a terrible thunderstorm come through. It was really scary but didn’t last too long.

Protecting the environment is very important for all of us to do so we pass along a safe place for those who come after us.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 17

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm so sorry.   Hugs and warm thoughts to you.

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh, Sandi, my heart breaks for you and all you and your family are going through.  It was good that your nieces could be with your DS, Nancy, at the end.  My your memories of Nancy give you comfort, and know that she is not suffering now.  Another, huge virtual hug is heading your way.  

Lenda

• Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love hot air balloons - went up in one once and it was so beautiful and serene; I couldn't believe I was floating like a cloud in the air.  I said "This must be what being an angel feels like."  The captain of the balloon liked it so much that he included it in their promotional material!    We are so fortunate to have a walking trail only 5 houses away in the park - it goes almost all the way from one end of the city to the other.  I agree with those who say every day should be World Environment Day.

I love today's saying by Groucho Marx - and isn't it true, if you have a computer problem, find a child and they'll figure it out for you.

@StLouisCruisers my heart breaks for you; I'm so glad you had a lovely visit with your sister last week - that memory will remain with you.  Try to envision her now, with those beautiful babies, one cradled in each arm, to help comfort you.  My prayers to you and all who loved her.

@rafinmd where does your cousin live in Saskatchewan?

Another beautiful day on the "frozen tundra", so we'll do some yard work; DH has an idea to help raise some of the spruce tree branches so they don't obscure the annuals I've got along the perimeter of the yard.  We don't like cutting branches, so if there's a way around it, we'll go there.  Tonight will be another good night to take out the topless car for a spin - it's always nice having my hair mussed up by the wind, LOL, hearing the birds and snippets of conversations as you drive past people, and smelling what people are cooking, too!

We had a first yesterday - attended our first Zoom wedding.  We dressed up (from the waist up) and settled in front of the computer with our champagne flutes at the ready while we watched a young man from the neighbourhood and his fiance exchange their vows.  It was quite lovely, as after the ceremony, they approached the camera and visited with each attendee on the zoom side.  Definitely one for the books!

I like today's meal suggestion, but leave out the olives - I consider them a waste of stomach space - but because I'm the only lamb lover, we don't keep any on hand.  I think tonight is going to be chicken rice bowls for us.  Fill a bowl half way with your favourite cold rice, add chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber, thin sliced green onion, and small chunks of chicken breast.  If you like basil (which I love!), add as much as you like, then top with your favourite salad dressing.  Ours is a zesty Italian, and voila, dinner!  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

As I indicated in my first post today, my visit to today's port was scrubbed but I'll post what photos I have, starting with the tender that went ashore for paperwork:

ouremissary.jpg

Here's what I saw of St. Pierre:

stpierre1.jpg

stpierre1.jpg

stpierre3.jpg

A bit later we sailed past the smaller island of Miquelon:

miquelon.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Not a frequent posted here, but the port of the day brings back some foggy memories of the day we were there on the Rotterdam in 2009. The first photo is the line of people awaiting the tender which was lost in  the fog! I believe (hope) they now have improved the navigational equipment  onboard the tenders. 

It's a cure colorful little place. As I recall when we were there,  the ship actually docked and one had the option to walk or take the tender into town which was quite unusual. We walked in and decided to take the tender back and got caught up in line up.  

Picture 022.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich and all DAILITES.   Thank you for the Fleet report.  It is vey warm in Naperville.  Warm and sunny. Drove up to Lake Geneva, WI yesterday.  Purchased Gasoline for $2.89 per gallon.  Locally here I would pay $3.35 for the same gasoline.    Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I like watching hot air balloons but have no desire to get in one.  I have some favorite trails I walk regularly but my favorite "trail" is a nice promenade deck.  Every day should be World Environment Day.  The Marx quote is especially appropriate for computer issues.  I have not been to St. Pierre and Miquelon but was booked there once on the Crystal Symphony.  We were unable to get a "bite" with our anchor.  It was a round trip from Montreal and the stop was to satisfy the requirements of Canada's equivalent of the PVSA.  We did send a tender ashore to do the necessary paperwork to make it a legal cruise.  The meal sounds great.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petit Filet, and Baked Alaska as enjoyed on MS Prinsendam June 5, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Nieuw Amsterdam loading up with additional vaccinated crew

Anniversary cruise booked for Copper10_8

My cousin in Saskatchewan fully vaccinated

Truth and Reconciliation commission for Canadian Residential Schools

Cherished memories of Ger_77's uncle

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

3 weeks for me at home

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy:  Thank you for the Shout Out list.  I like your alternative meal from start to finish.  My prayer is that you continue your recovery. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am so very sorry to hear this 😢. Absolutely heartbreaking for you and your family 💔  I wish there was something I could do to help you in this difficult time.  My very deepest condolences and prayers for you 🙏🏻 

• Like 16

Good morning from another grey day in Central Texas.  Our rain is supposed to hold off until early afternoon, and we didn't get any yesterday.  I may try to get out before it starts and get some more of the driveway cleaned.  The new power washer works wonders getting 21 years of dirt out of the concrete.

I have never been in a hot air balloon, but might give it a try even though I am not a fan of heights.  @travelnap  It is good to know that the balloon ride was not scary.  We used to have hot air balloons in Quartzsite when we first started going there.  Unfortunately, all the pictures are pre-digital.  

It's been a while since we hiked a trail.  I also agree that the environment should be celebrated and cared for everyday.   I found an interesting article yesterday, that man's assault on the environment started a long time before the Industrial Revolution.  Scientists are beginning to find that when man decided to turn peat areas into agriculture land, harmful gases were released when they turned over the peat.  

Over the years, I have learned that I like lamb, especially lamb chops.  I rarely get the leg of lamb on a BHB because they over cook it as far as I'm concerned.  I like my lamb and steak on the rare side of medium rare.

We have not been to St. Pierre and Miquelon, although we were supposed to stop there on our 2019 TA on Veendam.  We left St. John's, Newfoundland, on a bright, sunny day.  The next morning, the seas were rough and the weather was miserable so we could not tender.  Originally, we were supposed to dock, but it was changed to a tender port. We could not even get pictures of the island as the weather was so bad.

@kazu  I agree with you that some threads on CC can be scary.  I rarely look at other threads, and when I do, I'm hesitant to post anything.  I wish my computer would ask me if I wanted wine when it couldn't/wouldn't do what I wanted.  🍷

After 32 years owning a software company, DH is my computer guru.

Lenda

• Like 26

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

I would go in a hot air balloon in a heartbeat.   I went once for a fly over of Letchworth State Park in New York.   If you've ever seen the show Arial America, it is kind of like that.   Our favorite trail is in Acadia National Park when we visit Bar Harbor on a HAL cruise.   And, yes, every day should be environment day.  Let's all pick one thing we can do that helps the environment.

Today's meal sounds good, although I am not a big fan of lamb.  It has to be spiced right and cooked well.   Given the choice, I'd probably pick Roy's meal. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/olive-and-spice-rubbed-leg-of-lamb-recipe-1973032

Olive and spice rubbed leg of lamb.jpeg

I like them both.  I love Petit Fllet or any kink of beef but I am also fond of leg of lamb.

• Like 4

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I agree with the others- everyday should be World Environment  day. Never been in Hot Air Balloon, but would if I get the chance!

Never been to todays port. Looks interesting.

I had a very early airport run this AM. My nephew flew up to Boston to help his mother for the weekend. She is so looking forward to his visit.

On our way by the port, I saw the Mardi Gras. That is one huge ship! I just cannot imagine being on a ship that size. Not for me, but my nephew and son are anxious to go on it. Go figure!

Thank you all for this wonderful and caring thread. Best one ever on Cruise Critic!

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of days - especially Environment Day.  I’m with Roy, Environment Day should be every day.

Love the Groucho quote.  I joke all the time that we need a child to show us some of the computer / Ipad /Smart phone tricks 😉 

7B15B2D4-4874-4B22-8102-0E04F0A34590.gif.54472f85d55b6ac7793bd1dceddc7b81.gif

Yum on the meal suggestion for the day.  DH loves lamb.  None in the fridge or freezer, sadly.

I’m afraid I am getting a bit thin skinned when it comes to CC these days and starting to feel like no good deed goes unpunished. 😡 Thank heavens for this thread where people are congenial and don’t try to blame or dump on others 👍  (and humour & wine 😉 )

102905A3-71E0-4D4C-8295-7F2100ECB473.jpeg.a2e8a7928a2a19dddc624a992173ac39.jpeg

Today’s port is on our bucket list.  We were planning a trip when covid hit and hope to get there when covid is over.  

Today’s Care List:

• Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery and wrist cast
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS, Nancy with little chance of survival and needs our prayers, sad death of the twins & DB’s struggle for pending heart surgery
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs & wrists and injured tail bone from fall
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • smitty34877’s Tana fever returning
  • The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.
  • ger_77’s favourite uncle sad death due to covid

Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - for those that are fighting the deer, I have discovered two plants they seem to be leaving alone (so far) not listed in any books.  Cannas & diplandenia.  They are outside my fenced area and so far so good. 

Prayers for those on the Care list which is getting sadder daily & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

AF1702DC-DEC4-48D3-8B74-D2B86EBE660F.thumb.jpeg.8af61beceb1f295ec2be73da090be0b0.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

Jacqui:  Thank you for posting the care List. 

• Like 8

Thanks Rich for our safe place Daily. 

Sandi, Beautiful Angel's are playing harps, entertaining your mom, who is sitting in a rocking chair holding the babies with a huge smile on her sweet face.

Jacqui ignore the buffoons, they have nothing better to do but post rubbish. 

Good morning sweet sisters. 

I love hot air balloons! Watching.. not riding..

image.png.35b9065213ac932cfdbb1bdf4b0941f1.png

I love lamb, especially shanks and lollipop chops. That's for dinner tonight.

image.png.8fdd21a223f1e98575a05042e996a5c8.png

My friend invited me to a historical tour of Georgetown cemetery and museum today. Hoping the weather holds as we are due rain today.

Wishing you peace, blessings, cheers and prayers. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Morning all. Bright and sunny as usual. Maybe some showers later in the day but I doubt it.

I love lamb. Tonight's meal is going to be a curry made with some that has been in my freezer for awhile and needs to be eaten. Roast lamb is my holiday meal for just about any holiday. I have been to today's port. It was an early stop on my VOV on the Maasdam. Interesting port.... the main interest in just walking around it. Evidently it was heavily involved in the bootleg "trade" during prohibition. Now it is a quiet, colorful stop.

@cat shepard ... do watch out for the bear. I always worry about surprising one. Years ago a friend of mine was knocked down by a yearing. No damage except a lot of bruises. And of course we just had our very unfortunate incident with the woman that was killed. As an aside on that.... some people were thinking the mountain lion might have been involved and that Mama bear got the blame... but they have established that it was bear only. Anyway... I am trying to avoid places where I can not see well ahead of me. 

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1