John Heald is stuck in the UK :( Will not be able to cruise :(

matymil

4 hours ago, Jthomasou said:

Carnival has been transporting staff and crew from all over the world to the United States to resume cruising. 

I have faith that they have people in their logistics office that have an understanding of what regulations are within reason (things are constantly changing).  I find it hard to believe that what JH was totally on his own.  I’m sure his ticket was purchased by someone in the corporate office.  They thought they had the proper documentation to have this employee of their company travel to the United States (they were wrong).  

Some posters make it sound like JH was just deciding to go rogue and travel with some bogus documents. 

Carnival may have been in the wrong for assuming he was essential or believing he could travel, but I highly doubt it was JH on his own 

However, if he was flying to join a cruise where he was sailing as a passenger, then he really could not claim that he was an essential worker.  So his letter would not be appropriate. If he was going to join the ship as a worker then the letter would be applicable (along with the appropriate worker visa), but then he would be subject to the safe crew transfer requirements from the CDC.

It looks to me like he was trying to end run the restrictions and slide between the safe crew transfer requirements by sailing as a passenger, while trying to claim essential worker status and got caught.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nocl said:

However, if he was flying to join a cruise where he was sailing as a passenger, then he really could not claim that he was an essential worker.  So his letter would not be appropriate. If he was going to join the ship as a worker then the letter would be applicable (along with the appropriate worker visa), but then he would be subject to the safe crew transfer requirements from the CDC.

It looks to me like he was trying to end run the restrictions and slide between the safe crew transfer requirements by sailing as a passenger, while trying to claim essential worker status and got caught.

He could be essential for schedules and videos that the company needs their brand ambassador for.

• Haha 1

Just now, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

He could be essential for schedules and videos that the company needs their brand ambassador for.

But he is not cruising as an employee, he is cruising on that cruise as a passenger.  He is one or the other.

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Actually they seem to be scheduling the comedians stay on ships longer right now. I know of some that are scheduled to be on ships for a month. It's probably easier than having them bounce from ship to ship right now.

Thanks for sharing that link!  It certainly looks like they're going with some of their tried and true comedians for extended periods.  I wonder how it would work if one of them happens to lay an egg on their first day.  They may think they have a month to work things out, but the very next show will be socially distanced... and not by Carnival policy.

But how, really, can they miss?  The current pandemic has been a gold mine for humor over the past year:

• Toilet paper!  😄
  • The CDC! 😄
  • "I got jabbed and boy are my arms tired!" 😄
  • the more politically-savvy might throw zingers at various governors.  You could do a full show about the things that have happened by and around our own Governor. 😄
  • Quarantine! 😄
  • Stay-at-home orders! 😄

Thank you very much!  I'm here all week!! 😄  Actually, I'm here every week. 😁

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

I want to echo everything that @chengkp75 has said. Chris Wong was able to travel to the US from the UL just fine because he was traveling on a C1/D visa since he actually works on a ship and was able to quarantine on the ship. John is traveling for business on an ESTA and therefore subject to Presidential Proclamation 10143, which limits travel of individuals from many countries, including the UK. No disrespect to John, but he is not an essential worker (the show will go on without him) and his business in the U.S. is non-essential. 

There have been ZERO changes to travel from the UK to the US in the past 24 hours due to the Delta variant. That may have been the explanation given by someone, but they were mistaken. PP 10143 is the primary mechanism limiting travel right now.

Also, I doubt it was a US Customs and Border Protection officer since they do not have a presence at LHR. Preclearance is only done from Dublin and Shannon in Ireland. CBP would not deny boarding to someone at LHR. 

It could be as simple as the air line tightening up their documentation checks and where in the past the letter might have been sufficient, but CBP may have instructed the airlines that both the correct Visa and letter was required. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I want to see JH skydive and land in one of the pools on Horizon this weekend.

Instead of skydive, just fit him up with a jetpack and he can fly himself onboard like the Royal Navy guys 😁

image.png.1279c55db39023e1da2d8ac49dc37b0e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Though I agree that he is not essential, I am curious if it would make sense for Carnival to reclassify him as an employee, have him fly over, and make him quarantine in a cabin for 2 weeks to meet the CDC transfer requirement. That way he will be done with quarantine in time for Mardi Gras, Magic and Panorama sailings. Otherwise, he will not be able to come over anytime soon as the Delta variant is continuing to spread. Here in Los Angeles, Covid rates have doubled in just 2 weeks. Eeekk.

Edited by CruisingFromLA
  • Like 1

There is no "new rule" creating this issue.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/coronavirus

"

Entry to USA

Since 16 March 2020, it is not possible for most British nationals to enter the USA if they have been in the UK, Ireland, Schengen zone, Iran, Brazil, or China within the previous 14 days. On 30 January 2021, South Africa was added. Those arriving from outside these areas will need to get a visa or an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) visa waiver to enter or transit the USA as a visitor. You should consult the US State Department website to determine which you will need.

US citizens and permanent residents of the USA, certain specified close family members and certain other limited categories of visas holders (such as UN staff and diplomats) are exempt. They will still be able to enter the USA, subject to normal entry requirements. Further details are on the US Embassy Website."

Edited by gnocchi_mommy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, steamboats said:

Correct, but when you are an essential worker you still can enter the US from Europe (including UK). He got all the proper documents with him.

steamboats

I can’t imagine that working on a cruise ship is “essential.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kleibo said:

Can someone find where this is - I cannot find anything that lists new rules from yesterday to today.  I have seen no changes for weeks.

11 hours ago, maryann2 said:

Can you please post where you see this new regulation.

Doesn't seem to exist.

Sorry, I can´t help you with this. I´m not from UK or US. I can only write what John was saying in his two videos. He said that the day before traveling from the UK to the US was no problem (having the proper paper work of course). He stood in line and an officer with a US badge (he said Homeland) was walking through the line talking to the people in front of him and the people stepped out of the line and went away. He said seeing this he thought something is going wrong. He cleary stated that he was not turned away because of his paperwork but new regulations regarding the Delta variant. He said there was no warning ahead and nothing in the news about this. So everyone was completely surprised that they weren´t allowed to fly.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Well, JH said this morning that it was a misunderstanding and he didn't have it right on flying to the US yesterday. 

I'm sure that he was not thinking 100% clearly yesterday.  He must have been quite shocked!  It's perfectly understandable that his perceptions were clouded by emotion, as would be the case for most of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From John this morning:

Good morning and not from he and of palm trees, Mojitos and  Sandwich Cubano  as I had hoped but from the land of oak trees, cups of tea and spotted dick.

I do not want to say too much about yesterday. The video I made ( which ridiculously has almost 450,000 views) showed the emotion I felt at the time and so I really want to move on. I will say that it is all my fault. I should have done deeper checks. Someone had in fact told me that my essential business letter from Carnival Cruise Line may not be enough but as other Carnival employees had traveled this way I didn't think for a moment it would be a problem.

I respect the rules, I really do and if anyone is to blame, well it's me.

And hopefully one day soon I will find a way to get to the United States and sail again. I will send a special message to those sailing on Carnival Horizon and who had booked to be with me and look out for that tomorrow.

So let's move on because there are far more important things to talk about than my travel woes and my stupidity.

He goes on to talk about other Carnival happenings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I agree with others - how in the world did Carnival not think this thing through - all 1 (or 2-3) steps of it. Yes, chess indeed...

Tom

‘Oh what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive’ means that when you lie or act dishonestly you are initiating problems and a domino structure of complications which eventually run out of control  LOL. Looks like they got caught and now he doesn’t want to talk about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I agree with others - how in the world did Carnival not think this thing through - all 1 (or 2-3) steps of it. Yes, chess indeed...

Tom

I don't blame Carnival. This man has travelled the world and in his own words says  "Someone had in fact told me that my essential business letter from Carnival Cruise Line may not be enough"  and he didn't follow through to find out if it was enough and he was denied boarding.  His fault alone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kleibo said:

I don't blame Carnival. This man has travelled the world and in his own words says  "Someone had in fact told me that my essential business letter from Carnival Cruise Line may not be enough"  and he didn't follow through to find out if it was enough and he was denied boarding.  His fault alone.

Some shared blame in all likelihood. Someone at Carnival generated that letter for him, with what background research or legal consultation we'll never know.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Some shared blame in all likelihood. Someone at Carnival generated that letter for him, with what background research or legal consultation we'll never know.

Tom

Understood, but the fact that Carnival is getting employees from all parts of the world, it most likely also included a letter stating to check local regulations as well as US regulations to be sure all is in order prior to travel.   Not only did he not do that, he disregarded a warning given by another.

There's much we will never know.  But, to me, buck stops with him.

• Like 3

I realize that a lot of people care deeply for John and feel sorry for him not being able to be on the cruise.  I feel more sorry for any groups/family that show up and one person out of that group suddenly tests positive.  Now that whole group/family is denied boarding.  

John's ticket to fly was probably paid for by Carnival.  That group's tickets were paid for by the group.  Now you have a whole group/family stuck with having to guarantee themselves before they can fly back home.  Add on to that, the cost of the cruise that they can't take and the hotel stay before they return home.  They take a huge hit monetarily where John's was paid for by Carnival.

How many fellow UK people were planning on vacationing in the US that were also denied passage.  Their hopes and dreams were shattered too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Imagine a world where we can fly without going to legal…..

• Like 2

I think we all realize that the road to cruising is going to initially have some bumps.  The next month or so will reveal just what those bumps will be, probably including some that nobody anticipated.   I was sad at first when I realized we wouldn’t be cruising for the first couple of months (not until August 12), but now am grateful for the opportunity to watch and learn for the next six weeks. 

• Like 3