This why cruise ships should not allow any unvaccinated adult onboard any ship.

terrydtx

If she had special circumstances, she should have contacted them in advance as requested and provided the proper documentation.  This wouldn't have been a low-level person making this decision to toss her off the ship, so there are obviously other facts at play here that we don't see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

If she had special circumstances, she should have contacted them in advance as requested and provided the proper documentation.  This wouldn't have been a low-level person making this decision to toss her off the ship, so there are obviously other facts at play here that we don't see.

You are right... she should have... but... what is the process if she had done so... seems passengers who are recovered should be notified that they will be tested and there is a reasonable possiblity that they will test positive...so reconsider your trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Here's a Youtube video that provides some additional information worth considering:

And a longer version of her video with a lot more detail.

School librarian here...

My elementary students are well aware that You Tube is NOT a reliable source for facts...

Just sayin'

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

They should do the same as all cruise companies for the UK cruises, 100% vaccinated and a test when boarding. That way no one should slip through the net.

I would support 100% vaccinated guest including children. 

Unfortunately, unlike the UK,  the Governor of Florida made it against the law for any business including cruise lines from the requirement of showing proof of vaccination.   Just facts not a debate on whether he is right or wrong. 

Also from the first video above RCL also screwed up and gave her a bracelet indicating she was vaccinated and she was not required to take a Covid test prior to sailing which is required by their own protocol. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, kearney said:

Thanks... so... for the sake of discussion.. let's say she had the documentation and let's say they knew she was unvaccinated... what is the procedure for testing... looks like the CDC warns against this because of what I will call a false positive. I wonder if they have considered this in developing their procedures... it seems the CDC does not note this in the guidance for cruise lines.... this is why I think there is a hole in the procedures... beginning with the CDC not incorporating this infor in the cruise ship guidance... if it is there and I missed it... let me know..but I could only find limited references to recovered Covid passengers. This really is a complicated issue for everyone involved.

The information would have directed her to contact the special needs department though an email or phone call. I assume their special needs department would have given her the information she needed to comply or told her she couldn’t sail.

I’m showing my obsession with cruising now. Michael Bayley, current President of Royal Caribbean and former President of Celebrity, congratulated Celebrity Edge on its return to sailing. He said there were 400 (?) vaccinated passengers, 24 unvaccinated children, and 2 medically exempt adult passengers on the sailing.   

He noted something about medical exemptions being in short supply. So the Royal Caribbean Group does have some sort of protocol in place for people who are seeking a medical exemption  for various reasons. Their process may not be a one size does not fit all solution so they don’t publish it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would support 100% vaccinated guest including children. 

Unfortunately, unlike the UK,  the Governor of Florida made it against the law for any business including cruise lines from the requirement of showing proof of vaccination.   Just facts not a debate on whether he is right or wrong. 

Also from the first video above RCL also screwed up and gave her a bracelet indicating she was vaccinated and she was not required to take a Covid test prior to sailing which is required by their own protocol. 

Well, the vaccine isn't approved for children yet, so there's that.

NCL filed a suit against FL yesterday in an effort to have 100% vaccinated.

We shall see...

On a good note, with 95% vaccinated & tight protocols in place things seem to be going well.

On a stupid note, those unvaccinated still seem to think the rules don't apply to them...🤨

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

...Now please tell me if I am missing something. But early in the video...before she completely loses it... she notes that she had have covid within the last 3 months.. and that she has a high level of antibodies and the tests to prove it....

Again... am I missing something???

She said she tested positive for antibodies in the previous 3 months, indicating infection at some point in the past. She makes assumptions about the timing. That isn’t equal to being SARS-CoV-2 positive within that limited time frame.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KKB said:

School librarian here...

My elementary students are well aware that You Tube is NOT a reliable source for facts...

Just sayin'

LOL, totally agree. But there was information provided in the two videos that was not presented in the OP's link. How much credence you choose to give the additional information is another question.

• Like 2

Just now, seabeew said:

He noted something about medical exemptions being in short supply. So the Royal Caribbean Group does have some sort of protocol in place for people who are seeking a medical exemption  for various reasons. Their process may not be a one size does not fit all solution so they don’t publish it.

The number of people who TRULY need a medical exemption are likely immuno-compromised & wouldn't travel anyway..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

This may change, NCL currently has a pending Federal Lawsuit against Florida over their "You can't require proof of vaccination law". If the law is not reversed NCL will pull all of their FLL departing cruises which were going to start August 15th. This will cost Florida millions in revenue and lost jobs from NCL cruises.

Norwegian Cruise Line Will Abandon Florida if State's COVID Vaccine Law Not Reversed (msn.com)

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

Personal experience - Mr Wolf had covid in September.  Tested negative in October after 5 weeks.  Had surgical procedure in December.  Tested positive as hospital protocol and surgery cancelled.  Surgeon said he did NOT have covid again and was not contagious but this can happen with people who had covid.  Now we are vaxxed AND have antibodies.  Sorry - she knew the rules and she behaved like an a**.  Glad she was tossed and hope she is banned.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, kearney said:

You are right... she should have... but... what is the process if she had done so... seems passengers who are recovered should be notified that they will be tested and there is a reasonable possiblity that they will test positive...so reconsider your trip.

Unvaccinated is unvaccinated.  She has no excuse for not knowing that testing would be required, and unless she's been a hermit for the past 15 months she should also have known that positive tests can occur after recovery and that she should have discussed it with the cruise line (or just gotten vaccinated)

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. I guess we view "months ago" a little bit differently.

Obviously I have no concept of time, as evidenced by the fact I’ve been posting on this thread for two hours when I could have been playing Candy Crush. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, wolfganghowell said:

Personal experience - Mr Wolf had covid in September.  Tested negative in October after 5 weeks.  Had surgical procedure in December.  Tested positive as hospital protocol and surgery cancelled.  Surgeon said he did NOT have covid again and was not contagious but this can happen with people who had covid.  Now we are vaxxed AND have antibodies.  Sorry - she knew the rules and she behaved like an a**.  Glad she was tossed and hope she is banned.

My point was that Royal should have expected that when testing a covid recovered passenger that they were likely to get a positive result. Everything up to there appears to be a cluster f.... not sure who screwed up.. perhaps they knew and gave her a wristband... perhaps she claimed and convinced them that she was the same as vaccinated...or some other scenario... but it appears CDC warns travelers who have had Covid within 90 days that they are likely to test positive.and therefore not to bother with the pre cruise testing.... but that does not line up with CDC guidance for cruise ships... just suggesting that they get things to line up... 

8 minutes ago, KKB said:

Well, the vaccine isn't approved for children yet, so there's that.

NCL filed a suit against FL yesterday in an effort to have 100% vaccinated.

We shall see...

On a good note, with 95% vaccinated & tight protocols in place things seem to be going well.

On a stupid note, those unvaccinated still seem to think the rules don't apply to them...🤨

Personally it doesn't matter to me if kids can't be vaccinated because of their age or if someone has a religious, allergy or personal decision not to be vaccinated.     Just my opinion that I would like to sail will all vaccinated guests and crew. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Personally it doesn't matter to me if kids can't be vaccinated because of their age or if someone has a religious, allergy or personal decision not to be vaccinated.     Just my opinion that I would like to sail will all vaccinated guests and crew. 

I would like to also.

Advantage of Celebrity--probably going to see the lowest numbers of kiddos of any mainstream line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

I would like to also.

Advantage of Celebrity--probably going to see the lowest numbers of kiddos of any mainstream line.

From a live thread on this weeks Edge cruise, there are only 20 kids onboard under 16. 

• Thanks 1

Stuff happens. Mistakes get made. It’s how you react and behave from then on that is the key. Her behavior was atrocious. The crew do not deserve to be treated that way. And she deserved to be Kicked off the ship.  Has she not ranted and raved, and been filmed doing so, we would have nothing to comment on here.  We might even feel sympathetic toward her. But when she began screaming and cursing, she lost all credibility.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Cruise lines also have to consider the countries where the cruise is going, which is why the CDC advice may not line up neatly with their final decision.  Another reason it would be important for any special cases to work with the special needs folks to see what is actually possible.  I suspect this passenger's behavior did her no favors, but I don't see anything malicious in how the cruise line treated her.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sure would be interesting to see the video, if there was one, when she was checking in at the terminal to see exactly what happened and why she got the bracelet. Also curious, but will probably never hear, if there were other unvaccinated passengers that got the bracelet or was she the only one?? As with many things, there are always 2 sides to the story. My guess is the crew member involved with giving her the bracelet probably has an entire different story as to what happen. 

• Like 1

It is all about choices and consequences.  The freedom of one individual does not superceeed the freedom of others.  IMHO, the entire incident should have never happened, but with the climate and hostility of so many nowadays, rules need strict enforcement!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

It is all about choices and consequences.  The freedom of one individual does not superceeed the freedom of others.  IMHO, the entire incident should have never happened, but with the climate and hostility of so many nowadays, rules need strict enforcement!

Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Captain Kirk answers, “Or the one."  

Spaceship or cruise ship.  Same logic.

• Like 4

That was a thoroughly disgusting performance. I don’t care who gave her the bracelet. She knew she wasn’t vaccinated, so she should have spoken up at that time. She could have then displayed her physician’s letter stating her Covid history (if she actually possessed such a document). It’s called honesty, and personal accountability. 

As for the asthma hysteria, yeah right. Someone having an asthma attack wouldn’t be able to rant loudly and clearly for several minutes. 

Kudos to RC (and Celebrity) for following through on their stated Covid regulations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1