Tell me why I will hate a Pride Aft-Balcony

EngIceDave

Odd question I guess, but we got another great offer too good to pass up, a 9 day Med tour 

Start - Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Naples (Capri/Pompeii), Italy

Messina (Sicily), Italy

Valletta, Malta

Fun Day At Sea

Fun Day At Sea

Malaga, Spain

Gibraltar

Portimao (Algarve), Portugal

Lisbon, Portugal

Here's the question, I was able to secure an aft balcony cabin, #8275

Never had an aft balcony, but heard some love it, but I wonder how cut off do you feel? Do you see less of the world passing by or more?

I can switch, likely be able to switch to any possible balcony, the cruise is in a year.

Just want to know the negatives. 

I do realize if the seas are heavy, that could suck

Edited by EngIceDave
dorkfinger

The Vista Suite on the Pride (or Miracle) is our all-time favorite cabin. That being said, the aft balconies on deck 8 and deck 4 will have the best (size)...the view is unbeatable.  Yes, there may be some soot (mostly happens overnight, just don't leave anything out there)...the balcony is way deeper than a regular balcony and will (probably) have two chairs, a table and a lounger, if not, you can request a lounger from your cabin steward and they will usually accommodate (insert tip $$ here)...the deeper balcony will also be half covered, so even if it rains, you still have plenty of room to sit out there.....I would take an aft balcony over a side balcony anyday...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

Odd question I guess, but 

Messina (Sicily), Italy

Valletta, Malta

Fun Day At Sea

Fun Day At Sea

Malaga, Spain

Gibraltar

Lisbon, Portugal

I wonder how cut off do you feel? Do you see less of the world passing by or more?

Sitting and enjoying your aft balcony, you may miss the hairy man contest. I'd imagine some of those Europeans bring some intense competion. Other than that, sounds like a plan for a great cruise.

• Haha 2

Downsides to my aft balcony experience: 1.  the blazing hot floor!  We couldn't dare walk barefoot out on it.  2. No escape from the sun. You might think that's one of the purposes of going on a cruise, the sunshine. I am 1000% on board with that one but there was also no escaping it. Unlike a side balcony of which  you can enjoy the views and outdoors without the sun beating down relentlessly on your possibly already toasted body (said from a dark haired highly freckled person).  3) potential inhibition from joining the balcony club due to zero-minimal overhang (a friends experience, of course)  1st world problems, right!

• Thanks 1

I had an aft wrap on the Horizon. Soot rained down on me every morning around 6am. Didn’t care one bit, I wore the carnival robes to keep clean. When it got to be around 10am, it became unbearable because of how hot it got this is especially so on port days.There was no overhang unless on deck 9 so no shade. Privacy is non existent unless on deck 9. Other than that, I loved it. Would I get again? Nah. Regular ole balcony is good enough for me. 

• Thanks 1

DH and I have had Aft Wraps on the Legend and Pride. 

Legend: Deck 4  Lots of shade. Did a B2B in it. LOVED it! No soot

Pride: Deck 7. No soot. More sun. 14 day cruise. Never an issue.

It was fun in some ports people watching.  The only downside: LONG walk to just about everything. If you have difficulty walking, spend a little more and get a regular suite on deck 6.

Karen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Vibrations when docking and the scrapping of lounge chairs as the crew puts them out at 5 O'Clock in the morning.

We're not late nighters...so we're usually sort of early risers, and that's the adult serenity deck above us, maybe not too bad?

We had a similar cabin on the Legend back in Feb 2020 and we loved it.

Never was bothered by vibrations, the DW is a sun worshiper so she appreciated the lack of shade and I found there was sufficient shade on most days to be OK on the balcony close to the door.

The wake view was great!

I've told my Pride aft balcony cabin story several times on these boards, but I'll do it once again.

First aft balcony was on Miracle.  Cabin 4230 next to the aft wrap.  Great cabin.  Yes, hot out there despite Deck 4 having more overhang.  Could hear MDR servers singing while we were getting ready for late dinner, which was fine.  Could smell bacon in the morning, which I didn't need since I already overeat when I cruise!

Had 4232 on Pride out of B'more.  She was having azipod issues at the time.  Noticed some slight vibration at all times.  It was the last night, sailing very slowly as we returned to port that was really bad.  The shaking was so bad that it was as though someone grabbed me by the shoulder to shake me awake.  Over and over and over all night.  I had a 6+ hour drive home in the morning and I was petrified that despite plenty of caffeine, I'd fall asleep at the wheel on I-85.  It was not fun.

I rarely book balcony cabins and that experience made me think I'll never book an aft again, even though I enjoyed most of the actual time out there on both trips.  But, honestly, I just don't spend enough time in the cabin to justify the added expense (as a solo).  I'm on Pride B2B2B, with the leg your on in the middle.  I'll be in an inside and I'll be perfectly happy and sleeping like a log in that nice, dark cabin.

I don't know that heat will be a problem in October in the Med.

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I've told my Pride aft balcony cabin story several times on these boards, but I'll do it once again.

First aft balcony was on Miracle.  Cabin 4230 next to the aft wrap.  Great cabin.  Yes, hot out there despite Deck 4 having more overhang.  Could hear MDR servers singing while we were getting ready for late dinner, which was fine.  Could smell bacon in the morning, which I didn't need since I already overeat when I cruise!

Had 4232 on Pride out of B'more.  She was having azipod issues at the time.  Noticed some slight vibration at all times.  It was the last night, sailing very slowly as we returned to port that was really bad.  The shaking was so bad that it was as though someone grabbed me by the shoulder to shake me awake.  Over and over and over all night.  I had a 6+ hour drive home in the morning and I was petrified that despite plenty of caffeine, I'd fall asleep at the wheel on I-85.  It was not fun.

I rarely book balcony cabins and that experience made me think I'll never book an aft again, even though I enjoyed most of the actual time out there on both trips.  But, honestly, I just don't spend enough time in the cabin to justify the added expense (as a solo).  I'm on Pride B2B2B, with the leg your on in the middle.  I'll be in an inside and I'll be perfectly happy and sleeping like a log in that nice, dark cabin.

I don't know that heat will be a problem in October in the Med.

What is an azipod issue?  I just posted my own thread freshly home from Horizon 8/1 sailing.   First two nights in aft area were almost un-sleepable ( is that a word??) due to vibrations.   Then it stopped for two days but started up again on Day 5.  It was our first cruise near the back, we always have midship cabins so we were really surprised by all the shaking.  I would have described it like one of those 25 cent vibrating beds from a bad 70s movie.  LOL   But in all seriousness, I will not ever book an aft or end of ship port or starboard cabin again if this is a regular issue.   Any ideas?  

Had an aft-wrap on The Legend. Balcony of all balcony's. We had no soot and loved the large cabin. Only problem was the heat did not seem to flow to the back of the ship. (We were in Alaska). Froze to death most of the cruise..

After 12 years of cruising (usually in standard balcony rooms) we were so excited to try an aft balcony on the Breeze recently (deck 7).  Never again.  We did not experience vibrations most of the time, but when we did, it was almost unbearable.  One night at about 3:30 in the morning, the vibrations were so bad, it woke me and my daughter up.  It gave me such a headache, I thought I was going to have the leave the room (but wasn't sure where I was going to go...).

I also didn't care for the reduced privacy and constant sun exposure.  In addition, the way the cabins are stacked at an angle on the back of the ship, when your neighbors above you drag their deck chairs around at 5 am, it's right above your bed, not above your balcony like it would be on the side of the ship.  I still can't believe those rooms are considered an upgrade.

Edited by csm5986142

10 hours ago, VaTech8912 said:

Pride aft cabins vibrate a lot....more than any other ship I have been on unless they fixed it during a dry dock.

Completely agree. Vibration on this ship is awful and it’s not just when docking. It seems to effect people differently. Some say it doesn’t bother them but to me it was unbearable. We had so much vibration we couldn’t leave anything on the countertops without it ending up on the floor. We weren’t in an aft facing cabin on this ship but just an aft balcony. I could never spend good money to sail on this ship again with so many options out there. We did have an aft facing balcony on the Breakaway and it does get very hot because you don’t get a breeze. 

Especially on a port-intensive itinerary, I just can't see paying extra.  In fact, I'd prefer a side balcony since I like to watch the dock workers when arriving and leaving port.

On the Spirit-class ships, I wouldn't even opt for the extended side balcony (which I had once on Miracle) because your view straight down is blocked by the lifeboats.  I'd go for the slightly-smaller side balcony where I could see straight down.

But that's me.  I'd get the view I want at a lower price.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:44 AM, EngIceDave said:

Odd question I guess, but we got another great offer too good to pass up, a 9 day Med tour 

Messina (Sicily), Italy

Valletta, Malta

Fun Day At Sea

Fun Day At Sea

Malaga, Spain

Gibraltar

Lisbon, Portugal

Never had an aft balcony, but heard some love it, but I wonder how cut off do you feel? Do you see less of the world passing by or more?

I can switch, likely be able to switch to any possible balcony, the cruise is in a year.

We’ve done 7 crises on the Pride, main deck (4), same standard balcony cabin with 2 exceptions; a cabin 2 cabins down on Main deck, and the extended balcony cabin deck 5 once. All AFT.

Maybe we have our “sea legs,” or we’re just oblivious to vibration, but the most movement or vibration DH or me have ever felt is once or twice while pulling into a port. We are booked in early 2022 on the Legend (same class as Pride), and we have been on Legend before and we have the same standard balcony booked for that trip...Main deck AFT. We love it back there...easy elevators without crowds, and close to MDR and fun.

I’m just keeping fingers crossed that things continue to stay somewhat stable and our cruise won’t be canceled. Enjoy your vacation!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would always take an aft cabin if I could. The view is always amazing, even in port. Usually they have the largest balconies. I mean 2x's the size of a regular. Also, there is no wind, so you can use it all the time. I've had balconies that were so windy it could only be used in port. The takeaway? It's a long walk to anywhere. But you kind of expect that on a cruise anyway. Most of the aft cabins I've been in are at least half covered so there's shade and sun.

I've had some vibration on ships before, but I don't think it is due to being aft. Avoid cabins without passengers both above and below you. 

One more thing. The ride is better on newer ships.

Edited by Shay6380

Hate it never, but I did have two issues with the aft balcony on the Pride that would keep me from paying more than a regular balcony for it. Very sunny and people could see me on the balcony from above unless I was right up against the wall as they are slanted. The vibration on the Pride at the very rear if that still exists. 

On 8/7/2021 at 11:44 AM, EngIceDave said:

Messina (Sicily), Italy

Valletta, Malta

Fun Day At Sea

Fun Day At Sea

Malaga, Spain

Gibraltar

Lisbon, Portugal

We had a deck 8 aft balcony 1 time and won't ever get one again. Constant vibration when the ship is moving.