Ovation Turned Away Half a Dozen Unvaccinated Cruisers in Seattle

SeaHunt

18 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Your wife, and your daughter if over 12, will not be able to sail out of NJ / Cape Liberty. Try Florida.

Please don't come to Florida if you are unvaccinated.  We've got more than our share of COVID here already.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Oh I love Seattle too  (family still lives there-mom in Ballard and brother in Bothell).  Went to high school there and Western Washington U in Bellingham (was state college back then).  We laughed 2 years ago when we flew from Miami to Seattle to go on an Alaska cruise since there are so many cruises from Miami, Pt Everglades and Pt Canaveral).  But I digress...getting away from the OP topic.

No worries going OT -- the majority of the threads here go off topic at some point in time.  I'm glad you have the same opinion of your beautiful native state!  Can't wait to revisit soon!!

5 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

I put blame on people and lack of doing ANY research and if unsure asking questions. I don't really care if people "disagree". These days it is SO common for people to be ignorant on lots of topics DESPITE easily being able to find out almost any information on any topic at any time. It's not unique to these people "not knowing the rules". You see it everywhere. Do you know how many people that buy a HOUSE have 0....0..clue on how their interest rates work, or fees for closing, or any of that?  Or willingly sign a car loan for 24% interest just because they don't even bother researching? People try to argue that "they don't have time" or "don't know how to research". I call BS. If you are spending HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS you can bother to read "financing 101". There are a million of them online. They teach you how to read the closing disclosure for irregularities, unexpected changes, how principal & interest work. The BASICS. But, people just don't care but they will invest a ton of time and effort into "hobbies" but not bother learning just the basics on other topics when they really should bother to spend 5 minutes

Another example: a family member took their kids to Disneyland for the first time (and for them). We are pretty solid Disney fans and know the park ins-and-outs quite well (tips and tricks). We provided them more information than they could ever need. We even offered to give them suggestions to avoid lines, where to stay, etc. They ended up going and complained about everything, had no plan for their days, nothing. They even spent money on parking when they stayed right across from the entrance because they "never looked at the map" or looked into it. They spent $100 on parking when they had it free AND closer to the park! I could go on. Same thing when planning cruises for the family, which I pretty much stopped doing. They all wanted to be spoon fed everything. Where to go; what to eat; how to get there; not even spend a moment looking for themselves. This is pretty typical. We sold our house a few years ago and the realtor even sent us a thank you bottle of champagne and a dinner. He called us up and said how "refreshing" it was to work with clients who actually understood the process of selling/buying and made it so much easier for them. He said most of their clients are completely clueless and don't even bother getting involved in any part of their transactions. Blows my mind really...

So none of this is a surprise to me....

If you are going to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, you should be able to spend a few minutes checking you have everything in order...

agreed.  I never had the internet growing up as a kid.  Now there is no excuse for not being prepared.  You have google maps that give you the street view so you can familiarize yourself with the area even before you get there.  

22 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

I can, watching the video of the news report. Her family look embarrassed. I didn't get the impression these were anti-vaxxers trying to make a point. She genuinely believed she was right. Still wrong though, and Royal owes nothing. 

I also have to say I have gone on cruises having pre-paid my gratuities and spent zero dollars on board. Not my usual, but it can be done. I would not go if I were truly broke though.

Yes it can be done where you dont buy any extras onboard but you still have to set up an acct with cash or credit.  So I'm sure that someone out of a group of 6+ people had means to pay for a hotel.  

Simply take a taxi to airport, find out options at their airline counter to change flight home and figure it from there.

I'm sure it was horrible feeling to be left at dock after being told no sailing for you.   And hopefully they made it home safely and decide to get vaccinated, its FREE!

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes it can be done where you dont buy any extras onboard but you still have to set up an acct with cash or credit.  So I'm sure that someone out of a group of 6+ people had means to pay for a hotel.  

Simply take a taxi to airport, find out options at their airline counter to change flight home and figure it from there.

I'm sure it was horrible feeling to be left at dock after being told no sailing for you.   And hopefully they made it home safely and decide to get vaccinated, its FREE!

I agree with this 200%!!  Really, in this day and age where vaccines are plentiful and FREE you would risk being denied boarding on a cruise you had been planing for over two years because you just didn't feel like the rules applied to you? Give me a fricking break!  And for some to say cruising has to stop (sarcasm or not), is totally beyond the pale! I noticed none of the other news services are giving credence to this story -- for a reason!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Quite honestly I place a lot of the blame at the feet of DeSantis. Had he left the cruise lines and CDC to their business, the rules would have been clear from the start. Instead its constant court cases and as a result constant changing of rules. One day its ok to ask for vaccinations, the next day it isn't. One day a test at the pier is possible before boarding. The next it isn't. One day vaccinated people can cruise, the next day they can't. Some lines are asking for vaccinations, some aren't. Some lines are threatening to pull out of Florida, some lines are cancelling cruises (looking at you Celebrity) because they need to quarantine for 4 week after homeporting outside the US. Mass confusion every where you look. We spent two weeks trying to figure out if we would be able to cruise, what cruise line, what rules we'd need to know until we finally gave up. The added complexity and uncertainty not only took all the fun out of the planning phase but it left in doubt whether or not we'd even be able to step foot on the ship in 2 or 3 days even though we meet the criteria today. Just not worth it.

Seriously?  Had he left it to the CDC, the rules would have been clear? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JMKreno Feel better? I can't disagree with you, though!

Sometimes the vent has to pop and then we can go a few more weeks before the nitwits just cause that "OMG!" or "W--?" feeeling to grow and grow until -- poof! And it begins again.

Remember when people naively believed the internet would lead to a rise in the general level of education and knowledge? HAHAHA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

At this point, RCL just needs to shut down cruising again. 

Just not worth it. 

Disagree, follow the rules, and all will be fine.  My recent cruise on Celebrity was excellent.  I'm guessing those calling for a shut down haven't cruised recently.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, ryano said:

"Sylver says not even their travel agent knew about the change"

That has to be one of the worst TAs in the business if this is true

In general - true.  However, I don't expect from my TA ANYTHING at all whatsoever these days!!! Why?!! - what to expect from him?!!  - have you or whoever else been working for free during 18 months?!!  and on top of that paying your employees (my agent is actually an owner of his agency)?!!  My agent does exactly that and working more hours than prior to February 2020 - 14-16 a day, every day (yes, including weekends).  What is he doing for those long hours?!! - cancelling and rebooking while being on the phone with cruise lines sometimes for 4-6 hours (waiting and hoping not to lose them), cancelling and rebooking, cancelling and rebooking, cancelling and rebooking... - no revenue, no a penny, nothing.  I'm writing about it in many quotes, and no one replies (no one cares, right?!!).  We are only care about what are told to be, right?!!  Every one else is a casualty of the "war", collateral damage so to speak.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lr657 said:

I think Ovation is sailing from Florida, and cruises from Florida can't require proof of vaccination.

Edit: my mistake, it's sailing from Seattle.

Florida cruises can and are requiring proof of vaccination...I am on Allure this Sept out of Port Canaveral and St Thomas is one port of call..they will not allow anyone 12 years or older to board the ship without proof of vaccination per St Thomas rules.  

I had to show proof of vaccination on my recent Aug 1 Cruise on Celebrity Equinox...or risk not being able to board.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Having a credit card means nothing, it doesn't show means to pay for anything. I use a credit card for my account and there hasn't been a new cruise related charge in almost ten years. In fact there is always a credit issued to repay the refundable obc we receive from our travel agent.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

In general - true.  However, I don't expect from my TA ANYTHING at all whatsoever these days!!! Why?!! - what to expect from him?!!  - have you or whoever else been working for free during 18 months?!!  and on top of that paying your employees (my agent is actually an owner of his agency)?!!  My agent does exactly that and working more hours than prior to February 2020 - 14-16 a day, every day (yes, including weekends).  What is he doing for those long hours?!! - cancelling and rebooking while being on the phone with cruise lines sometimes for 4-6 hours (waiting and hoping not to lose them), cancelling and rebooking, cancelling and rebooking, cancelling and rebooking... - no revenue, no a penny, nothing.  I'm writing about it in many quotes, and no one replies (no one cares, right?!!).  We are only care about what are told to be, right?!!  Every one else is a casualty of the "war", collateral damage so to speak.

And my TA has been doing the very same thing for the same amount of time, for nothing.  She still keeps me informed with all the latest breaking news about the protocols with the words "Im sure you already know this but...."

There is NO WAY I will believe these people didnt know they had to be vaxxed and most especially will I never believe the TA didnt know. 

• Like 5

If you read the cruise contract, you will find you can be denied boarding for almost any reason.  You can be wearing 8 pairs of pants and 10 shirts and be denied, just like the air passenger trying to get to London from Iceland and instead of paying excess baggage fees, put on most of his clothes in his suitcase and the airlines denied him boarding the plane. 

The takeaway here is always, ALWAYS, have extra funds or credit cards available for unexpected circumstances.  Don't rely on a GO FUND ME page, charities or newspapers to get you from Seattle to Illinois because you were too lazy to read or pick up the phone and ask what was required -- especially after two years of planning.  The death of common sense is becoming a reality with stories like these. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Having a credit card means nothing, it doesn't show means to pay for anything. I use a credit card for my account and there hasn't been a new cruise related charge in almost ten years. In fact there is always a credit issued to repay the refundable obc we receive from our travel agent.

Having a credit card means you can probably stay in a hotel and pay airline change fees to get you back home -- as opposed to reaching out to the news media and hoping people will fund your way back. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I looked at the video of them being angry at the port.  

My thoughts were the following:

1) did they have a travel agent who did not pay attention and mislead them thinking about FLA rules vs other rules?

2) Did they not read their e docs where is says to check the protocols of the ship you are going on?

3) when did they get their e docs?

4) what about the RCI App? Did they not look around 24 hours in advance to answer the questionnaire? I am unsure if the questionnaire mentions a vaccination.  But it should.

And lastly when I heard they did not have money for hotel and changing or rebooking their flights, my first thought was perhaps they should not even cruise as additional expenses can always crop up at any time.  

While I do feel bad in a way for these folks because perhaps they just did not pay attention to details and or were confused by agents in Florida, still in this day and age, GET THE FACTS for anything you do.  They said they were retired, so perhaps family members could have helped better in the planning as well.  

Hope they get home and hope they deal with their travel agent who might have not done their job as well as they should.   Lesson learned do your OWN research too.

In my experience, there are lots of cruisers who don't really read the fine print. Time and again, I have overheard conversations revealing that people don't understand the tipping guidelines, or they didn't know they needed a reservation for certain shows, or didn't know that they couldn't bring a bottle of whiskey on board, and a dozen other such things that we understood from our very first cruise.

The thing is, it's not that people are stupid, it's just that cruising is a unique sort of vacation that you can't get the best out of without really doing some research. Beyond that, with the whole COVID situation, making sure you read the fine print is more important than ever unless you're ok with being left on the doc because you didn't know what the requirements were.

It is sad that they missed out on a vacation, but ultimately, I don't feel sorry for the unvaccinated, unless they die, in which case I have the normal human sympathy for them. I hope the experience leads these folks to get their vaccinations, instead of just complain. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

It is sad that they missed out on a vacation, but ultimately, I don't feel sorry for the unvaccinated, unless they die, in which case I have the normal human sympathy for them. I hope the experience leads these folks to get their vaccinations, instead of just complain. 

Echo that...

• Like 1

Those saying how could people not know .. I've seen a thread here and other forums, if my pretest is positive can I still board the cruise. 

Not everyone here seems to have common sense if they have to ask if they are covid positive can they board their cruise .. I'm often scratching my head here. This is just one more time. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Those saying how could people not know .. I've seen a thread here and other forums, if my pretest is positive can I still board the cruise. 

Not everyone here seems to have common sense if they have to ask if they are covid positive can they board their cruise .. I'm often scratching my head here. This is just one more time. 

I think common sense is missing from a lot of people these days, not exclusive to Cruise Critic. Here in Reno, we just had a story make national news about parents who sent their kid to school despite KNOWING the child was POSITIVE for covid (they had just received their positive test) AND the child was SYMPTOMATIC. But they sent the kid to school anyway....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

In my experience, there are lots of cruisers who don't really read the fine print. Time and again, I have overheard conversations revealing that people don't understand the tipping guidelines, or they didn't know they needed a reservation for certain shows, or didn't know that they couldn't bring a bottle of whiskey on board, and a dozen other such things that we understood from our very first cruise.

The thing is, it's not that people are stupid, it's just that cruising is a unique sort of vacation that you can't get the best out of without really doing some research. Beyond that, with the whole COVID situation, making sure you read the fine print is more important than ever unless you're ok with being left on the doc because you didn't know what the requirements were.

I get what you're saying, but when you don't have any extra funds whatsoever for the unexpected, one would assume that much research pre-boarding would take place.  Apparently, these people did nothing to educate themselves after planning for 2+ years. They relied on the seat of their pants and a news outlet.  So much for planning.... Hopefully, like you said, they will get a FREE vaccination after this soooo preventable ordeal! Maybe the best outcome would be that the last hold outs that watch this tomfoolery situation decide to get vaccinated!

• Like 2