The Daily for Friday August 20, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Oh DAM, Carol.  So sorry to hear this.  I agree with your children though on only the vaccinated allowed in.  I hope you can find a replacement aide 🙏🏻 

If we don’t, we will move to our daughter for two weeks. Not ideal , but not much choice.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Meal suggestion for today - Spanish Moroccan fish

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Today's meal sounds good.  I think I would like the spice combination.   It does call for tilapia, but you can substitute any mild white fish.   I have some cod I might try it with.  

https://www.food.com/recipe/spanish-moroccan-fish-233576

230396129_SpanishMorroccanFish.jpg.52001e7b3ec6c74d5627ebde829dae82.jpg

In addition to being interested in @richwmn's Wine of the Day, I am also interested in the Meal of the Day,  I like Spanish cuisine, I like Moroccan cuisine and I like all seafood.  So, Spanish Moroccan Fish sounds like an absolute winner to me.

I also enjoy  @dfish's regular contribution picturing the Meal of the Day along with the recipe. 

I clicked on the link to look at the recipe, and, I have to say, it is a tad confusing.  At the top, right under the picture its says, "Ready in:  10 minutes."  Cool.  What's not to like about getting supper out in 10 minutes.

Well, clearly, that 10 minute ready in time does not include peeling, chopping, slicing and draining various items in the Ingredients list.  OK, moving on to the Directions part of the recipe, heat up the skillet, cook some things, add some more things, continue to cook, sprinkle some other things, season to taste and stir.  We are pushing our 10-minute ready in time when we get to the last step.  Add the fish and cook for 40 minutes.

Huh,

I get it, if you don't count the 15 minutes of retrieving the ingredients and, then, peeling. or draining or slicing or dicing them and you don't count the 40 minutes of cooking with the fish, then, you can get supper out in 10 minutes.

I jest, of course.  We will be trying our adaptation of this recipe here at the XBGuy Adobe.  I shared this recipe idea with Mrs. XBGuy, and she thinks the idea is great, and we will make it work for us.  Five pounds of fish is quite a lot for just two of us.  Similarly, most of the other ingredients will be reduced.

One think I love about cooking is the fact that no recipe is sacrosanct.  If you don't have an ingredient, there is no penalty for leaving it out.  If you think you can improve a recipe by adding something that wasn't called out, then add it.

😀

• Like 21

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily Rich and care reports Roy.

Interesting quote.

Lemonade is nice and we salute medical transport day to keep our medical supplies in supply.

I have listened to the radio many times especially when driving.

Today's food and drink suggestions are good.

We have not been to today's port.

Yesterday we visited Highclere castle where Downton abbey was filmed.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe 😷.

Graham.

IMG-20210819-WA0010.jpg

Wow, looks so busy!  Here’s some photos from our visit.  Did you also go to Longleat,  so amazing to see dozens of lions wandering about!  

image.thumb.jpeg.1c09901a24869297b09ab026855ef944.jpeg

Have you been to Wrest Park?   Was bought by a distant relative from the Earl De Grey, so we visited and were very impressed.  Not too far from Bletchley Park, also well worth a visit. 

92C27BC3-213C-468F-9087-14050D17A863.jpeg

13E55592-862B-4F28-B019-C9432F494BFE.thumb.jpeg.77a8fa3ce150ca7bb9fea0a9341acd8f.jpeg

Wrest Park

D0EA8AE4-2081-4439-A1DB-DFA578191D77.jpeg

BD6F69C7-1130-4738-B031-BF1B4846128D.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Wow, looks so busy!  Here’s some photos from our visit.  Did you also go to Longleat,  so amazing to see dozens of lions wandering about!  

Have you been to Wrest Park?   Was bought by a distant relative from the Earl De Grey, so we visited and were very impressed.  Not too far from Bletchley Park, also well worth a visit. 

13E55592-862B-4F28-B019-C9432F494BFE.jpeg

Lovely photos.

Pauline always wanted to see Highclere castle where Downton abbey was filmed as she watched every episode and film.

It was nice to your inside and to see the Egyptian museum too.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! It would be nice to celebrate the day by drinking lemonade and listening to the radio. I also salute medical transporters, so essential and so often undervalued. It would be nice to buy them lemonade as well. The Moroccan Fish good, as does Roy’s lamb alternative.

We have, and haven’t, been to Macapa Brazil. That is where the Princendam picked up the paperwork for entering Brazil, and possibly the pilot, although memory is less clear on that. The officials came out in a boat and although we sat there for a long time we didn’t dock and no one went ashore. Apparently is is even less safe to go ashore there than Belém or Recife, which is pushing the envelope a bit! It is known for a monument where the Equator runs through town.

@Gail & Marty sailing awayHappy Birthday, Gail! It’s too bad you aren’t celebrating it on the Eurodam in Santorini.

@cat shepard Ann, that’s awful about your sisters DGS. 8 positive in his class alone! Wow! The numbers there are very concerning, especially right after Canada has opened the border to visitors from the US again. At least it is only opened to fully vaccinated, which should help. And as of today, the US has extended on Canadians crossing the border for another month. This may be just as well, until the delta surge passes. 

Yesterday was a happy day processing the silk I ordered into a state ready for printing. Instead of doing a few scarves at a time when I want to print something a day or two later, I have everything ready to go whenever the right leaves come along.

We have a forest fire across from us on Vancouver island. There is a large smoke plume heading east, rather than spreading out to blanket the region. It’s alarming, but did make a pretty sunset from our friends deck.

This will not post right side up, no matter what I do.

063C5617-5825-4BBD-9EE1-80A6275971D0.thumb.jpeg.1ed7143041010cc31db9d7952fd4dfc8.jpeg

Happy Friday, courtesy of the elevator mats of our BHB’s!

893BAB36-4ABA-4CCF-8D46-2D1E2B2E7223.thumb.jpeg.cd852a646f1add37c7f1e170951f6362.jpeg

Your picture of the sun is so gorgeous. I attempted to turn it, let me see if it works. 

St Louis Sal

C5191E47-7322-49A4-B053-DFA33BD557A6.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

13E55592-862B-4F28-B019-C9432F494BFE.thumb.jpeg.77a8fa3ce150ca7bb9fea0a9341acd8f.jpeg

Wrest Park

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lots of nice photos today of the castles from you, and from @grapau27.  Really lovely!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  The Daily has been busy while I was doing yard work, followed by house chores.  At least, I finished outside before it got hot, and there was a good wind which helped.

@StLouisCruisers  Your DD is to be commended for getting such good test scores, especially with the pandemic.  Good teaches who love what they do are a treasure.

@CruiseMGM  Safe travels and have a great cruise.  May you have smooth seas and following winds.

@Horizon chaser 1957  The picture was awesome even up side down and really spectacular after @St. Louis Sal flipped it.  Too bad it took a fire to produce such a picture.  Hope the fire was contained quickly.

@Vict0riann  Sorry about the loss of your friend.

@rafinmd  Roy, hope the results of the PET scan do not show anything majore and that anything they find is easily and quickly resolved.

Lenda

• Like 16

Good afternoon Dailyites.

@grapau27and other Downton fans...we booked a transfer from Southampton to London a few years ago that stopped in Bampton Village where many scenes were filmed.  We saw the church where Lady Mary was married, the storage shed where Thomas hid his shoddy black market goods, Isabel Crawley's house (or maybe Dowager Duchess -- can't remember.)  Then we had the best pub lunch I've ever had.  It was a great day.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Southampton/Southampton-to-London-via-Cotswold-Villages-Downton-Abbey-Locations-and-Pub-Lunch/d22563-5528P60

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard and any others interested in Reykjavik, Iceland...

On BBC, I ran into this quirky/interesting/sweet mini documentary about a School for Housewives in Reykjavik.    Fun to look at.  You might recognize some terrain.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p09q5pqm/the-nordic-school-that-creates-the-perfect-housewife

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

We will be trying our adaptation of this recipe here at the XBGuy Adobe.  I shared this recipe idea with Mrs. XBGuy, and she thinks the idea is great, and we will make it work for us.  Five pounds of fish is quite a lot for just two of us.  Similarly, most of the other ingredients will be reduced.

One think I love about cooking is the fact that no recipe is sacrosanct.  If you don't have an ingredient, there is no penalty for leaving it out.  If you think you can improve a recipe by adding something that wasn't called out, then add it.

You've got it!   I substitute, leave out, and add ingredients all the time.  The recipe police have never cited me for not following the formula precisely.   I would leave out the carrots in this one. 

I think the 10 minutes is how long it takes to put everything in the dish to go in the oven after all the slicing, dicing, sauteeing and such.   Or perhaps it refers to how long it takes to read the recipe and decide what you're going to do with it.  

• Like 12
  • Haha 7

@Gail & Marty sailing away  Happy Birthday to Gail!   

@rafinmd I hope all is found to be well.   Sorry about the issues you are having, but that is part of being human and your Daily family can empathize with you.

@mamaofamiI totally agree on only allowing vaccinated people in the house.  Personally, to work as an aide with the medically fragile or high risk population and not be vaccinated is reckless and irresponsible.  And for the agency to send someone out who is not vaccinated is the same.  

@Cruising-alongI am totally excited about getting to meet you finally.  Now, let's not jinx it too much.  No broken bones, please.   

@StLouisCruisersI am happy that you will be able to pay your respects to Copeland and his son. Congratulations to your daughter from this retired Math teacher.   

@Vict0riannMy sympathies on the loss of your friend.  

@Crazy For Cats I almost fell off my chair when you said you might be able to eat today's meal suggestion.   Really?    I hope Henri shows mercy.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 16

Thanks Rich, Roy, the drink, food and garden ladies. Roy I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I went out in the kayak this morning. Up river is getting really low and the lava rocks are reaching up to scratch your bottom but it was good to get out.  

• Like 17

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Ann!  She's been teaching since 1995, but took off some years when her first three kids were babies.  Now she says she's so OLD, the third oldest teacher out of 27 in the school.  She's only 49; LOL!  Over the years she's picked up lots of little tricks to help the kids learn formulas, etc. and it really seems to work.  She loves seeing the light bulb come on when they finally get it!😲

I was just reading your testing experiences over on the other thread.  Have a wonderful cruise!  You deserve it after all the work just getting on the ship anymore!😅

I will add my congratulations for your daughters achievements Sandi.

You must be so proud.

Graham.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@StLouisCruisers  Your DD is to be commended for getting such good test scores, especially with the pandemic.  Good teaches who love what they do are a treasure.

Lenda

31 minutes ago, dfish said:

@StLouisCruisersI am happy that you will be able to pay your respects to Copeland and his son. Congratulations to your daughter from this retired Math teacher.   

Thank you Lenda and Debbie!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I will add my congratulations for your daughters achievements Sandi.

You must be so proud.

Graham.

Whoops!  Sorry Graham I almost missed your post.  Yes, I know she was pretty pleased that the group she started with at the beginning of the school year had come so far.  👍

• Like 10

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I will try to have a few photos of Macapa later but will likely be in the fire house a good part of this afternoon.  Yesterday was a challenging day.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer almost 25 years ago and my PSA is creeping up again.  The PET scan was to look for any cancerous spots and try to take care of them before they become a problem.  Be prepared to stop reading if you're easily grossed out.

My prostatectomy has left me with bladder control problems and yesterday was not a good day for that.  I had prepared for the day with absorbent briefs and it's a good thing I did.  My procedure uses a pretty rare dye which comes from only a couple of pharmacy labs, usually one in Charlottesville.  The tech says it has to arrive right on time and is usually a bit late. Yesterday it was unusually late.  We were a bit concerned that it might have been seriously delayed by the Washington bomb scare.   The tech called the lab and they said "It isn't on our manifest".  Turns out it was coming from Philadelphia (probably good news) but still the shipment was about an hour late.  Despite using the toilet immediately before the table I think the stress got to me and I had a major accident.  Fortunately, the absorbent did it's job and the table was dry when I got up.

I was at least an hour behind when I left the facility.  I had planned to stop at an area store for groceries and then Panera for lunch/dinner.  I got the groceries but had to substitute the McDonalds drive through for Panera.  I was home just in time for the fire department meeting.

Roy

I'm sorry to hear how yesterday was so challenging for you Roy.

I hope everything is good with your PET scan.

Our prayers and very best wishes are on the way to you.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon all I hope everyone had a great day.

I just heard on the news that the land border to Canada is staying closed for at least another month. Tough break for those looking to travel.

Just so you know Americans have been coming to Canada for a few weeks now.   Canadians are not allowed to travel across the US border  by car at the moment.   We are able to travel to US  by plane.   I live on the Trent Severn waterway and I have  to say some beautiful large US cabin cruisers are travelling again.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2