The Daily for Friday August 20, 2021

richwmn

Good morning from central Texas where it will be cloudy early then sunny.  The clouds will make today a better day to mow the grass.

Will celebrate all the days, but will celebrate medical transporters especially.

Like the John D. Rockefeller quote, especially since that is what DH did when he started his software company.

Will pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine is one I think I'd like, and I like the price.

We have not been to today's port, but sailed past it when we did our Amazon cruise in 2006.

@cat shepard  Ann, that's good news that you can walk better and without hip pain at the end of the day.  Good food and wine with a friend sounds good.  Don't apologize for the vent.  We have the same situation here, but at least our state supreme court yesterday overturned the governor's ban on mask and vaccine mandates, and he did an about face.

@dfish  Debbie glad the lawn service is working out, and that your neighbor said the plumbing jobs were easy.  Enjoy your lunch with your fellow retirees.

@Gail & Marty sailing away  Happy Birthday, Gail.

@Crazy For Cats  Glad you did not have serious damage.  Hope Henri's path changes again and misses you and @kazu Jacqui.

@mamaofami  Carol, sorry your aide's father died.  Hope the agency can find someone to fill in while she is gone.  I agree about the aide being vaccinated.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kazu said:

Glad you had no serious damage 👍 I hope Henri changes and heads out to the ocean for everyone’s sake.  

Yes.  I'm also thinking of Crystal Symphony.  She's supposed to embark on her first post-Covid voyage  from Boston on Sunday.

Roy

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Our aide is returning to Ghana the end of the month because her father died. The agency we are using can’t promise to find us a vaccinated replacement and my kids refuse to allow someone who isn’t vaccinated in the house

Oh DAM, Carol.  So sorry to hear this.  I agree with your children though on only the vaccinated allowed in.  I hope you can find a replacement aide 🙏🏻 

• Like 15

Good Friday morning!  Not sure but looks like we will have some clouds and rain today.  The weather people say 40% chance of rain and hope that works out for them.  🤔

School started a few days ago for my daughter's 4th grade math classes in Ohio. (She had to teach 5th grade last year at a different school).  She said everyone has to wear masks which is a last minute change.  But unlike last year students don't have to sit 6' apart and have shields in front of them.  She has one student who is already in quarantine because her high school sister is positive for Covid.  The high school student showed up at the elementary school open house UNMASKED while she was waiting on her Covid test results.  You can't fix stupid!

DD also found out this month what the results of last spring's State testing results were.  DD's 5th grade math students had an 87% pass rate!  That is outstanding for State tests.  That really helped her school passing rate a lot because unfortunately the other 5th grade math teacher's students had only 54% pass.  Teaching is hard work!

I think I'll pass on the fish dish today.  Thanks for the recipe though Debbie!  @dfishthings really are looking up!  The plumbing will be taken care of and the lawn is in good hands.  Nothing to worry about when you leave for your cruise!

I haven't been to Macapa, Brazil yet and I don't think that is even included on the Grand South America/Antarctica cruise in January.  As for that cruise, I wish HAL would send out an email telling us what the odds of that cruise going are.  They don't look good from where I'm sitting.  

Thanks Rich for your Daily newspaper today.  Thanks Roy for your list keeping.  Prayers for everyone on the Care list.  I'm especially worried about those left behind in Afghanistan.  Things seem to have been done backwards there.  Also the people of Haiti who were harmed by the latest earthquake.  All need our prayers.  Cheers to those on the the Celebration list.  

I have found out there will be a visitation tomorrow (apparently all day) for Copeland and his son at a Macon funeral home.  Due to Covid the family will not be available to greet visitors.  Then on Sunday they will both be laid to rest.  DH and I will probably drive down tomorrow and pay our respects, say some prayers and sign the guest book.  We understand the family not wanting crowds to congregate at the funeral home.  Of course we will be masked and social distance with anyone there.  We sure aren't looking to come down with Covid now!  Thank you @rafinmdfor putting them on your Care list this week.

• Like 24

Good morning all - away all week on business in Atlanta.  8 hours a day in business meetings from touchdown on Sunday through noon yesterday left little time to for 'fun' internet stuff - I think this is my first visit to Cruise Critic since Sunday morning!  Will take me a while to catch up.

I did go through the care list though, and will keep all in my thoughts.

The trip was a success, and my homebound delay out of ATL was only 2 hours - that's pretty good for August.  Lucky for me since my flight didn't involve any plane changes - there were many who had already had prior flights cancelled and were rebooked to my flight, with international connections to make once we arrived in PHL, and that just wasn't going to happen now.  Lines were long and frustration level high...to anyone traveling soon, pack your patience and be prepared for delays.

For now I'll share some photos I was able to take from my visit to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens this week for a cocktail event as an homage to all the great gardeners in this group...it was a beautiful and peaceful spot alongside the hustle and bustle of a major metropolitan city:

image.png.03e1d80fa58553abb83fd7a22ac79f70.png

image.png.a084fd4e33b9c7ac08a207c754e06604.png

image.png.52e602181ffb960de3126f46348ae9d3.png

image.png.1f1a79ad19357d8910c385e706d9fb49.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days and a big salute to Medical Transporters!

Love the quote by Rockefeller 🙂  And the meal suggestion for today sounds yummy.  Love the name of the drink today.  

We’ve been to Brazil but not the port of today.

@erewhonso sorry to hear about your cases there 😔 

@Gail & Marty sailing away Happy Birthday Gail!

70EB7C3D-4BAC-4057-B737-4FB013279117.gif.04983361c7da40b2bb3bda32fce14662.gif

@Crazy For Catshope Fred didn’t cause you too much damage.  Good luck prepping for Henri.  Sadly, it’s currently forecast to head here as well 😔  I’m going to have to get very energetic to prepare.

9B19D44B-91D6-4A8F-B7D9-05DBBD4DA221.thumb.jpeg.75898dcf66ca87eb56972aab656fc53a.jpeg

Thought those of you who love their hummingbirds might enjoy this one.

9E8C4921-AADC-4E9C-AD1C-84FFE940BA2F.thumb.jpeg.54b843e28eeb0b051934f81a09cf8cc8.jpeg

Looks like another muggy one today.  I can’t remember a summer where it was so humid in a very long time.  We make the best of it as all too soon we will be back to the cold weather 😔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

A8501554-AA4D-46FE-98A0-8D3A41D2D9A3.thumb.jpeg.e6b4b0aca6c9b261c5d188d7fecb16a3.jpeg

Stay safe everyone and please don’t forget your 😷 

Nice Hummingbirds..

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Good  morning  fellow Dailyites. This  morning  our  phones  are  warning  us  of tropical  storm  conditions  from  Henri  with  winds  and  rain  expected. I  am  worried  about  my  extended  family  in  Massachusetts  as  they  are  near  Fall  River and  landfall  is  probable  for  Rhode Island. I  also  worry  about @Crazy For Cats  and  @kazu who  are  in  the  path  as  well. My  SIL  was  already  with  the  shopping  hordes  in  the  grocery  store when  I  tried  to  call  her  earlier. She  was  also  getting  food  for  Miss  Camillas'  parents. 

@cat shepard, I  appreciate  your  valid  rant and  share  in  your  concern. I  just  don't  understand  how  a  public  health  issue  gets  interpreted  as  freedom. I  have  always  believed  that  we  should  try  to  take  care  of  each  other  in  this  world.

I salute  all  the  days  and  like  the  looks  of  the  recipe. I  like  Mr  Rockefeller's  quote. He   has  a  beautiful  home  near  us  on  the  Hudson  and  when  the  weather  is  better  I  may  take  my  two  dog  friends  walking in  the  Rockefeller Preserve. It  was  landscaped  a  long  time  ago  with  carriage  roads  so  that  the  family  had  a  place  to  ride  their  horses or  use  carriages. It  became  a  public  park  for  regular folk  in  the  eighties.

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Bless the medical transporters - they do not have an easy job.  I haven't had a glass of real lemonade in so long that I can't recall the last time I actually did.  I have the radio on from early morning until late evening, switching stations if I don't like the music.  I haven't had the drink of the day, but certainly remember the song "My Baby Loves The Hanky Panky"!

It's a cool, cloudy day on the "frozen tundra", but it doesn't look like it will rain, just  overcast.  It's mid August and you can tell the days are becoming noticeably shorter - by 8:30PM it's completely dark and we can turn the landscape lighting on in the back yard.  It won't be long that we will no longer be able to sit out comfortably enjoying the ambiance, so we'll enjoy it while we can.

Today we're heading over to a crisis nursery where we'll donate all of the baby stuff we've collected over the past 6 years.  While the DGS's were here, we realized it will be the last time we'll need the high chair, play pen, and all the baby toys and blankies we have for them, so we might as well give them to a place where they can be put to good use.  I've sanitized everything - I contacted the nursery who suggested putting all the plastic toys into a mesh bag in the washing machine set on hot to clean them; what a great idea, rather than trying to do them by hand!  

I'm not sure about the menu suggestion for today, but may file it away for another time - leaving out the olives, of course.  LOL  Today is Friday, so it's pizza night at our house; I've seen some good reviews for another pizza place that has opened up not far away, so we'll give it a try.   And wine.

@Gail & Marty sailing away Happy Birthday Gail!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for those in the path of the latest tropical storms.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list. Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DD also found out this month what the results of last spring's State testing results were.  DD's 5th grade math students had an 87% pass rate!  That is outstanding for State tests.  That really helped her school passing rate a lot because unfortunately the other 5th grade math teacher's students had only 54% pass.  Teaching is hard work!

Thanks Rich for your Daily newspaper today.  Thanks Roy for your list keeping.  Prayers for everyone on the Care list.  I'm especially worried about those left behind in Afghanistan.  Things seem to have been done backwards there.  Also the people of Haiti who were harmed by the latest earthquake.  All need our prayers.  Cheers to those on the the Celebration list.  

I have found out there will be a visitation tomorrow (apparently all day) for Copeland and his son at a Macon funeral home.  Due to Covid the family will not be available to greet visitors.  Then on Sunday they will both be laid to rest.  DH and I will probably drive down tomorrow and pay our respects, say some prayers and sign the guest book.  We understand the family not wanting crowds to congregate at the funeral home. 

Sandi, I will toast your DD’s achievement. Teaching is difficult in the best of times. Teaching during the pandemic is HEROIC! 

I am happy that you and DH will be able to say farewell to Copeland and his son. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick note, thank you for the Daily and good wishes to all. Have a house full of guests .... or it really just SEEMS that way when it's normally just the 2 of us in our little home and the in-house population doubles with the addition of my brother and sister in law! Headed to the airport in a few short hours for our flight to Seattle, and then onboard the NA tomorrow! Hoping everything goes well, and hopes and best wishes to everyone on the care list and celebration list. Probably won't be checking in after this, as we don't have the internet package and aren't bringing the computer. But will check back once we're home, probably around the end of the month, as we're spending 2 nights post-cruise with nieces and nephews in Oregon. Hey, we're so close, why not? Haven't seen them in over a year, so excited!

Best wishes to everyone!

• Like 32

2 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Just a quick note, thank you for the Daily and good wishes to all. Have a house full of guests .... or it really just SEEMS that way when it's normally just the 2 of us in our little home and the in-house population doubles with the addition of my brother and sister in law! Headed to the airport in a few short hours for our flight to Seattle, and then onboard the NA tomorrow! Hoping everything goes well, and hopes and best wishes to everyone on the care list and celebration list. Probably won't be checking in after this, as we don't have the internet package and aren't bringing the computer. But will check back once we're home, probably around the end of the month, as we're spending 2 nights post-cruise with nieces and nephews in Oregon. Hey, we're so close, why not? Haven't seen them in over a year, so excited!

Best wishes to everyone!

Bon voyage & smooth seas!

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Headed to the airport in a few short hours for our flight to Seattle, and then onboard the NA tomorrow!

Safe travels and Bon Voyage 🛳 

Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time!!!

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Headed to the airport in a few short hours for our flight to Seattle, and then onboard the NA tomorrow!

Bon Voyage - wishing you a wonderful cruise!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 9

Good morning all!

We were up early this morning (before 5) to say goodbye to our son who has to catch an early ferry.  It was so nice having him here for a few days!  Lots of family time and DD and DGS were here too.  The house is quiet now!  

All the days are worthy of celebrating, and the meal does sound good minus the olives -- @ger_77like minds! And I would substitute cod probably.  

@cat shepardI feel so bad for the children and teachers who cannot wear masks in school.  I'm very thankful our grandsons, who are too young to get vaccinated, will be required to wear masks as will all the other children in school here.

@dfishDebbie I'm looking forward to finally meeting you in just a few weeks!

It looks like our hot summer is finally over.  More chances of rain/showers in the next few days and lower temps -- much more typical for us!  

• Like 20

10 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Best wishes to everyone!

Safe and healthy travels!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Best wishes to everyone!

Bon voyage. Have a great trip!

• Like 9

Thank you for today's daily Rich and care reports Roy.

Interesting quote.

Lemonade is nice and we salute medical transport day to keep our medical supplies in supply.

I have listened to the radio many times especially when driving.

Today's food and drink suggestions are good.

We have not been to today's port.

Yesterday we visited Highclere castle where Downton abbey was filmed.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe 😷.

Graham.

IMG-20210819-WA0010.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thought those of you who love their hummingbirds might enjoy this one.

9E8C4921-AADC-4E9C-AD1C-84FFE940BA2F.thumb.jpeg.54b843e28eeb0b051934f81a09cf8cc8.jpeg

Jaqui, I think you need to cut back on the extra protein and sugar you are putting in your hummingbird feeder nectar.  Those are the biggest hummingbirds I have ever seen.

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

Good morning. Thanks to Rich, Roy and our food and beverage department. Jacqui those flowers look beautiful. We had several shrubs replaced yesterday. They died a slow death til Claudio could get here to replace them.

A hearty Bon Voyage! to all who are setting sail tomorrow. Wishing ya'll good weather. 

Yesterday was busy. I had my chores, market, a meeting here at 2:00 that lasted til 5:00 when my Mahjongg ladies were showing up. They left at 9:30. I wanted to pull up some ugly butterfly plants that looked messy and popped up wherever they wanted, so at 10 last night I was yanking up plants so they'd go in today's trash. The lawn mower is already finished this morning and we will have a nice quiet day.

Ann I'm glad you are able to walk smoother and not hurt at the end of the day. Soon you'll have the cast off and we will celebrate!

Peace, Prayers and Cheers 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday morning.  Very overcast today and comfortable temps, the next ten days look pleasant, 60s/70s, they took out the 80s that were originally in the forecast!  As @Cruising-along said, hope summer is on it's way out.  

Not too much planned for today, just a call to the doctor about ringing in the ears, I'm assuming it's medication, the trick is figuring out which one.

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  

Have a great day/weekend everybody!

• Like 16