Watermelon

nycruise1

Has been great this summer.  Buy a whole one from the supermarket and cut it open, just delicious.  Got me thinking, cant get good watermelon on a cruise.  Even when on ice by Blue Iguana, it is just not that good.  Got me thinking, what else have you found to be just not as tasty on a cruise?  I am not looking for things they dont have at all.  I guess another thing is the movie popcorn, but that has been discussed in other threads.

• Like 1

Not a taste thing but Blue Iguana serves slightly warm food but never hot. The eggs in the breakfast burrito are cold so I stopped going there. The whipped butter they serve in lido and MDR is not as good as solid butter. The soft serve frozen yogurt is a meh mix and can't compare to a rich frozen yogurt found in the states ashore. My request for really hot food is always granted in the MDR at breakfast and dinner so we eat those meals there. You asked for the negative but overall we still enjoy many food offerings on Carnival that keep us coming back time and again.

12 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

You asked for the negative but overall we still enjoy many food offerings on Carnival that keep us coming back time and again.

Dont get me wrong, we do too and are Platinum and have sailed Carnival exclusively for about 15 years.  My list of things we love would be much longer.  Just an observation that the watermelon is not that good and curious if there are other foods people feel are better on land.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nycruise1 said:

Has been great this summer.  Buy a whole one from the supermarket and cut it open, just delicious.  Got me thinking, cant get good watermelon on a cruise.  Even when on ice by Blue Iguana, it is just not that good.  Got me thinking, what else have you found to be just not as tasty on a cruise?  I am not looking for things they dont have at all.  I guess another thing is the movie popcorn, but that has been discussed in other threads.

Suggestion for a Watermelon.

Take a large Watermelon, a medium size kitchen funnel and a bottle of Vodka.

Make a small hole in the top of the Watermelon and half insert the funnel tube into the hole made.  Pour in the Vodka until the top of the funnel is almost full.  Place in refrigerator and allow the Vodka to empty the funnel.

Keep an eye as the Vodka runs down, do not let it run dry and keep topi going up until the Watermelon can take no more.  Leave in the refrigerator for a further 12/24 hours, then remove, slice and serve.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
  • Like 3

Odd as I've been happy about half the time with the times I found nice ripe watermelon. And yes the Mexican cantina bar was a 2nd place to look for it. I eat a lot of watermelon on my cruises .. when I can find it ripe. One night for dinner that's all I had. Watermelon from the buffet and took pictures of the setting sun. Was perfect that night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nycruise1 said:

Odd, we were taking watermelon from the Blue Lauga daily on our Horizon July 24th....loved ti....pi;ed on a tin every day by the pool....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Make a small hole in the top of the Watermelon and half insert the funnel tube into the hole made.  Pour in the Vodka until the top of the funnel is almost full.  Place in refrigerator and allow the Vodka to empty the funnel.

Keep an eye as the Vodka runs down, do not let it run dry and keep topi going up until the Watermelon can take no more.  Leave in the refrigerator for a further 12/24 hours, then remove, slice and serve.

Rum works also

• Like 1

Sometimes the watermelon is decent.   I don't think the other melons are ever ripe enough - cantaloupe and honeydew.  I find it hard and crunchy, instead of soft and juicy.   The breakfast fruits are delicious (grapefruit and orange sections, and the prunes).

All the other food - delicious!  Love the salad bar - everything fresh and crisp, the breads are very good - both on Lido and MDR.

The cakes are good - but they aren't like Publix bakery cakes - need more sugar and real butter in the icing.   Still....I eat them.😊

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nycruise1 said:

...Got me thinking, cant get good watermelon on a cruise.  Even when on ice by Blue Iguana, it is just not that good.  Got me thinking, what else have you found to be just not as tasty on a cruise?  

Everything except the pizza and Steakhouse is "just ok".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nycruise1 said:

Dessert on the buffet

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Not a taste thing but Blue Iguana serves slightly warm food but never hot. The eggs in the breakfast burrito are cold so I stopped going there. The whipped butter they serve in lido and MDR is not as good as solid butter. The soft serve frozen yogurt is a meh mix and can't compare to a rich frozen yogurt found in the states ashore. My request for really hot food is always granted in the MDR at breakfast and dinner so we eat those meals there. You asked for the negative but overall we still enjoy many food offerings on Carnival that keep us coming back time and again.

I love whipped butter, but I am with you, I love my food HOT.  That's why I eat so fast 😞

• Like 1

Pretty much everything? That doesn't mean I don't love some of the food, but most of it can be hit or miss any day, and the buffet is mostly miss, imo. The huevos rancheros is actually the one thing I like better than at home. 

Of course it has been a long time since my last carnival cruise, and NCL wasnt good other than the final night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Pretty much everything? That doesn't mean I don't love some of the food, but most of it can be hit or miss any day, and the buffet is mostly miss, imo. The huevos rancheros is actually the one thing I like better than at home. 

Of course it has been a long time since my last carnival cruise, and NCL wasnt good other than the final night. 

I LOVE the huevos rancheros from Blue Iguana (and the MDR)!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Did this once long time ago in college. Woke up the next morning on somebody's floor that I did not know. Think a good time was had by all that were present though. Except for one guy that chose to run down the street naked. Police did not like that too much. 
Back in innocent days........