The Daily for Monday September 13, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Gardening Club Participants:  I’m happy to report that spraying my dahlia foliage with the mix of Epsom salts & water is helping to put the missing magnesium back.  My blooms may not be as stupendous as other years, but there are some coming again and the green is starting to look better in the leaves.  Recipe - 8 tablespoons of Epsom salts to 4 quarts of water.

If you have a lot of rain and see the leaves lightening, start applying every 2 weeks.

Correcting my post - it’s not quarts but GALLONS.

So it’s 8 tablespoons of Epsom salts to 4 gallons of water.  My sprayer is measured in gallons and the recipe I found called for gallons so I didn’t convert it to litres 😉 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ok, will try to post. I read every day but have not been able to post for various reasons. 

today’s recipe will fit perfectly into our Wednesday ladies group supper. There are 7 of us. 2 are vegetarian, one is celiac and one is doing a keto diet! Try coming up with a main dish that works for all! This one will. This Wednesday we will have the lemon garlic salmon from a few weeks ago. 

prayers for all who need them and will raise a wine glass tonight  for any celebrations

edited to add yay  it worked!

Edited by superoma
  • Like 20

Good morning and thanks all.   Sending good wishes to all on the care and celebration lists!  

We've had some rain and some sun,  typical early fall.   

well my purple jalapeños are lovely but the black Pearl are still minuscule flowers,  I am beginning to lose hope…

EC5A3BB7-4E64-48B3-A467-43F7CC387E8D.jpeg

• Like 20

Thanks for the daily and for the lists.

My Mom was very superstitious. My sistert and I would always laugh about it. As a result, I am not superstitious at all.

The quiche looks really good. Not a fan of using coke as a mixer.

The navigator app tells me that we have 68 days and 10 hours till our next cruise. That time can't go fast enough.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Just posting again, to say we paid for our flights to Italy today, so we are set to leave for Italy in just a few weeks (October 16 to be exact!)  Now to organize our Covid tests ...

🥂 🥂 🥂 

• Like 8

Good morning, all! We have an interesting collection of days. The crustless quiche sounds like a good dinner choice, I just need to pick up some fresh basil. 
Yesterday we did an interesting section of the Vedder trail, as we are now working our way back upstream on the other side of the river. One section ran past a small town, and they had an interesting addition to the trail. At spaced intervals, they have mounted plasticized pages of a children’s story book. As you walk along, you read the book page by page and hurry on to see what happens. Even without children it’s quite interesting. What a great idea!

We have been to today’s port, Devils Island, twice. There are two things to do there. The first time we walked up top and took the tour of the old prison buildings. It is a grim place with the feeling of despair haunting it still. 
The second time, we took the trail around the shore line. It is beautiful, and hot, and lined with warnings of what can kill you in this particular section of trail.
There is also the children’s cemetery, as the guards families lived on the island with them.

3A985F1D-20A1-415C-9D03-9AB9C3ABB09E.thumb.jpeg.c312db09249542b36cf60ddac129a361.jpeg

Iles Royale landing, with the Amsterdam at anchor.

963C451F-2CA9-4D51-B875-2D33E4778BE9.thumb.jpeg.a2e6d1ad0fa4b9dde043b3c001007ad3.jpeg

Looking at the real Devils Island. It is used by the military and off limits to tourists. Between the currents and the sharks, swimming across is not advised.

DFB3A216-76B6-4092-9007-54A280D37CC9.thumb.jpeg.03f719d685783d4a46de8afa998840a5.jpeg

Apparently it’s draw as a prison colony was the fact that those who wandered off didn’t get very far. The shoreline has a wide variety of ways to kill humans.

D5E2C8D4-1829-4C02-9A15-9E60D28CB3BA.thumb.jpeg.578398a4dfe170d4578d98df785b419f.jpeg

Eventually they gave up on specific warnings and admitted that the island doesn’t like you much.

482AACC0-0AB0-4670-B902-01E0807876D2.thumb.jpeg.1a0397143b91e512bea75cdcefaca5c7.jpeg

It would seem even the falling coconuts are to be avoided.

173EAB02-59C8-45DE-8079-4FBF8E0A37CB.thumb.jpeg.ce90aaeb7898a31481a94c269141a30d.jpeg

The wildlife has a better relationship with the island. This hell for humans is a paradise for the natural kingdom. The monkeys  have a great time. In a fascinating spirit of cooperation, the monkeys drop coconuts…..

83438214-189E-4B04-A6AD-308939F941C6.jpeg.a93d03a59f4c52e2bc0b9f969555c037.jpeg

These little guys gnaw large holes in the coconut for water and fruit…..

08160CCE-614A-488F-9279-18DB4A3FC75D.thumb.jpeg.9586e4f597cca2636588ed356b9b9339.jpeg

And the hole in the coconut is big enough for the monkey to reach in and scoop out what it needs.

99E90300-3A03-4F4E-B1EF-29A859033739.thumb.jpeg.88e3560ce657787104a7b09aaa2db986.jpeg

The plants and flowers are also beautiful.

986D4338-F544-4C9D-A065-F0CF4A6AD518.thumb.jpeg.13dd2b8a30442d43af67bd99e8fcf7ff.jpeg

There is one lone and highly unattractive safe swimming area that built for the guards and their families.

D0C4B1F0-8CCB-4BC3-9373-850CC082B6E1.thumb.jpeg.9cd315b0541e6fa884a1d09c9ea46368.jpeg

The more attractive parts of the shore offer swimmers a shorter life span.

2A2D878D-31EB-44F5-9AB8-C841C1A16975.thumb.jpeg.929c12304569fd4907ab8b6dddb5eeb8.jpeg

Happy Monday. I hope you enjoyed the pictures of adventures on a BHB!

EE4A89ED-1A8A-417C-8792-D4CB2AB987E5.thumb.jpeg.cd525046a1bad7e1c34f47d21ff59353.jpeg

• Like 28

5 hours ago, JAM37 said:

The quiche sounds good although I will have to read reviews to see how long it keeps or if anyone has tried freezing part of it as DH wouldn't touch it so I would have to eat it all.

I haven’t made this particular recipe but make quiche about once a month and it freezes very well. I cut it in half (don’t slice into individual portions though) wrap and freeze. Sometimes I Food Saver the frozen quiche half so it lasts longer. Defrost before reheating, just don’t over heat since it’s cooked already. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I haven’t made this particular recipe but make quiche about once a month and it freezes very well. I cut it in half (don’t slice into individual portions though) wrap and freeze. Sometimes I Food Saver the frozen quiche half so it lasts longer. Defrost before reheating, just don’t over heat since it’s cooked already. 

Thank you so much. I will definitely try this with this and other quiche recipes. 😀 (I think I have mentioned here before that my husband does not eat most vegetables.)

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good to know that it freezes...I have a favorite quiche recipe but never tried to freeze it (though I've re-heated leftovers just fine.

I'll give this one a try!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@Seasick Sailor

Joy, glad the antibiotics have helped.

My friend is doing ok. Her Sister is with her this week, so that is good.  Her third of twelve treatments is this Thursday.  Her oncologist is pleased that she has not experienced any of the usual side effects.  She has picked out two fun wigs, in the event she loses her hair. She has been warned it usually starts after the third treatment. But this is a long journey for her. Thank you for asking. ❤️

A friend of mine had hair loss and much to her joy it came back in very curly. By the way..... that must have been over 20 years ago and she is still going strong!!!!

• Like 17

25 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Good to know that it freezes...I have a favorite quiche recipe but never tried to freeze it (though I've re-heated leftovers just fine.

I'll give this one a try!

Also, I only reheat it in the oven. IMO microwaves and eggs don’t work well together. 😉

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I’m not a huge fan of peanuts,  mostly prefer peanut butter. I don’t think I’m superstitious but I’m sure some of my quirks are stemmed from long ago family superstitions. I remember my DM’s siblings being very superstitious. When they helped her move once they wouldn’t move the broom. Not sure what it represents but they wouldn’t do it. 

The meal suggestion sounds good but I prefer quiche with a crust. I need to make one soon so I’m sure I could use my base recipe and add the Caprese flavors. Thank you for the recipes Jacqui. 

Devil’s Island doesn’t sound like fun but thanks to everyone who posted pictures. 

Craig has been going to work every Monday, then working Tuesday-Thursday at home, off on Friday. He just texted me that the company decided to hold off on bringing employees back to work physically until after the first of the year. 

Prayers to those on the Care list and extra prayers to Sam, @irishjim, @kplady .

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

26 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I’m not a huge fan of peanuts,  mostly prefer peanut butter. I don’t think I’m superstitious but I’m sure some of my quirks are stemmed from long ago family superstitions. I remember my DM’s siblings being very superstitious. When they helped her move once they wouldn’t move the broom. Not sure what it represents but they wouldn’t do it. 

The meal suggestion sounds good but I prefer quiche with a crust. I need to make one soon so I’m sure I could use my base recipe and add the Caprese flavors. Thank you for the recipes Jacqui. 

Devil’s Island doesn’t sound like fun but thanks to everyone who posted pictures. 

Craig has been going to work every Monday, then working Tuesday-Thursday at home, off on Friday. He just texted me that the company decided to hold off on bringing employees back to work physically until after the first of the year. 

Prayers to those on the Care list and extra prayers to Sam, @irishjim, @kplady .

Have a great day everyone!

We helped a friend move in June who wouldn't move her broom. All she said is that she has always been told it is bad luck to travel with a broom. 🤷

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The second time, we took the trail around the shore line. It is beautiful, and hot, and lined with warnings of what can kill you in this particular section of trail.

Those signs alone would be enough to make me not want to return to the island . . . let the monkeys and the capybaras have it for themselves!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I defy superstition except in relation to sports fandom. If they win, wear the same shirt next time, lol. Fortune cookies are meh. I love peanut butter, but not peanuts (unless in M&M's).

Funny quote.

The meal sounds good, as well as the drink and wine. I'm just having a baked potato I think, as my stomach is a bit upset.

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures. 

I can't open videos that are .mov. I don't think my browser (Chrome) likes those.

It's warmer and getting more humid. Skies are milky and per the weather people it's from the western fires. My night blooming cactus' flower stalk is growing. It may open in about a week.

@kplady Prayers for your surgery today.

@irishjim Prayers for your surgery tomorrow.

@mamaofami So sorry to hear that the delay in getting Sam's CT and the subsequent delay in starting the Warfarin. I hope the stress lessens for you all.

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad you're feeling good today.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. Sadly our 72 hour county new case count is 1043!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Hello All, from Juneau.  Just arriving.  I just have my cell phone to post, so will be quick here, but it’s divine being at sea again and DH and I had the pleasure of sailing away from Seattle with @dfishand her sister Sue, on their plush corner aft balcony.  😊

DH was kind enough to take a photo.

Loving this cruise.

DD37B1AE-81E6-4995-8451-9ADBA633C599.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Hello All, from Juneau.  Just arriving.  I just have my cell phone to post, so will be quick here, but it’s divine being at sea again and DH and I had the pleasure of sailing away from Seattle with @dfishand her sister Sue, on their plush corner aft balcony.  😊

DH was kind enough to take a photo.

Loving this cruise.

DD37B1AE-81E6-4995-8451-9ADBA633C599.jpeg

Nice pic 👍

• Like 7