The Daily for Friday November 19, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Blow Bagpipes Day, Play Monopoly Day, and Women's Entrepreneurship Day

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Meal suggestion for today - Skillet Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Apples

Drink of the Day - Ti' Punch

Wine of the day - Ata Rangi 2017 Pinot Noir (Martinborough) New Zealand

Destination of the Day - Saint John New Brunswick Canada

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam Destination Panama Canal
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Port Everglades, FL

eta 11/20
Rotterdam Destination Half Moon Cay BS eta 11/20

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US eta 11/21

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 11/21

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Freeport BS
Noordam

La Paz MX
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1119NAmerica.thumb.png.fa6067982e61e43518adc302d5bd9f2e.png

1119Europe.thumb.png.50a5c85a71f126ef18f760c5b704e10a.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Friday Daily Report.

I enjoy listening to the bagpipes.  I haven't played Monopoly in years.  A big thanks to Women Entrepreneurs.

Interesting quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink of the day and wine are winners too.

I haven't been to Saint John in a long time.  I need to go back.🙂

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good Friday morning everyone; thanks for today’s daily report Rich.  Would love to play Monopoly and hats off to women entrepreneurs but ix nay to bagpipes, just don’t enjoy the sounds they make, sorry bagpipe fans.  The quote sounds overly aggressive, I respectfully disagree.  The chicken and wine sound delicious, maybe tomorrow.  Haven’t been to St. John but it’s definitely on my bucket list. Following the weather closely as we’ve traveling to Minneapolis next Wednesday for Thanksgiving and it looks messy next week.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list, hope our Roy is on the mend.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today 🎉

• Like 24

Good afternoon.

It is dry 55°F and cloudy.

Today is my late Dad's birthday.

He would have been 95.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Great collection of days.

Scottish bagpipe playing is associated with 12 midnight on New year's Eve.

We haven't played Monopoly for years.

Good to see women Entrepreneurs doing well 

Excellent quote.

Great selection of food and drink of the day and a nice wine choice.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers for @rafinmdfor his continuance of radiation treatment and for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 24

Thank you for the TGIF (TGIH for me) daily, Rich.  A nice selection of days, especially bagpipes with my Scottish heritage.  Nice quote by London.  I've visited Saint John a couple of times, including once on the Veendam when I had coffee with @kazu.  The meal sounds pretty good.  I disembarked MS Prinsendam 4 years ago yesterday.  I think I'll put the alternate meal suggestion on hiatus until I finish radiation.

@kazu, can you do the lists at least one more day.  I need to catch up on my grocery shopping early tomorrow morning.

Roy

• Like 38

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  Hurrah for women entrepreneurs.  We played many a monopoly game when I was younger.  Bagpipes can be eerie and beautiful.

Wonder if Jack London came up with that quote when he was writing his book?

The meal sounds good and may be a saver.  

@rafinmd - no problem at all 😉   Take it easy and you can fix up my mess when you are up to it.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Flooding, evacuation, destruction & lost lives in Washington, Oregon   and British Columbia

Town in B.C. sheltering evacuees running out of food & supplies

Those trapped in the Agassiz/Hope mudslide areas & flooded areas awaiting rescue & evacuation

rafinmd in hospital, culture for infection & undergoing radiation treatment

kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice

mamaofami for all the strength she has needed for this difficult time

StLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma

cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo but at least back home

Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments

USN59-79 with kidney stone

grapau27’s wait for surgery

JazzyV’s best friends MOHS surgery on Nov. 30th

USN59-79’s kidney stone procedure

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

4 BHB with passengers

Front Line Health Care Workers

The wonderful community of Hope, B.C. sheltering & feeding those who were trapped on the highway & have been able to be rescued

Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)

Search and Rescue teams going above & beyond to save whom they can

Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam till 12/12), dobiemom & LAFFNVEGAS (NCL Bliss to 11/21), Lady Hudson (Anthen OTS to 11/21)and Sea Viewer (Allure OTS to 11/21)

RSWBADGER & NCTribefan enjoying the Eurodam

Irishjim’s wife, Sheila improving

57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29

cruzn single getting her sister back & enjoying her company

ger_77’s DSIL successful valve replacement & home recovering

Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain

Off to visit a friend today in my bubble to deliver a calendar to her.  It’s part of her Christmas present but I want it in her hands before she goes out and buys one.  It’s a special one that helps raise money for the training of those wonderful service dogs - not an advent calendar, sadly

0FCEE169-BBB7-4F87-977F-00B155CB5A19.jpeg.4f3ac93a16a07acc2c0c45da3b98ad0d.jpeg

Saint John, NB is our port for today?  I’ve never cruised to it but I’ve certainly spent a good part of my life close to it, worked there and been there many times.  I’ll be back with a bit of a story on it.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday, everyone !!!!!!!

A6540A68-4D46-473B-A0A3-4424B676269F.thumb.jpeg.ae2dbaa17ab3a5f554aefcd2093ed8f1.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

D8690D89-F0AB-4202-9D2A-F9C3585C917A.thumb.jpeg.22fb44c6faaa980a7ab60889349aa479.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, everyone.

I am celebrating welcome home day for Roy and the good outcomes from other medical procedures that friends and family of the Dailyites had.  Prayers for all those affected by the floods and mudslides as well as those facing medical procedures in the next few days.  

I'm hoping the first recipe site is not a pay site.   Ooops, it is.  I have two free articles left this month, so I am hoping the rest of you do as well.   https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a44233/skillet-chicken-brussels-sprouts-apples-recipe/

2120495945_SkilletChicken2.thumb.jpg.c8bf1d684cb7f924fcf20875587756f5.jpg

If you can't get in without paying, you can find the ingredients here:  https://mealplannerpro.com/member-recipes/Skillet-Chicken-with-Brussels-Sprouts-and-Apples-1917229  Then it is a matter of seasoning the chicket and frying it up.  Then do the brussels sprouts and apples together with everything else before adding the chicken back into the pan.  

This version adds in a little bacon to the brussels sprouts and apples.   https://tasty.co/article/christinebyrne/single-skillet-chicken-thighs-bacon-brussels-sprouts-apples

590107421_skilletchicken3.jpg.e6e988ab99c445bfa457f03732869bc6.jpg

And here it is as a sheet pan recipe:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/262533/chicken-apple-and-brussels-sprout-sheet-pan-dinner/

1145080327_skilletchicken4.thumb.jpg.7ce88ca79a48c5eb5160f5b6f40ea003.jpg

Keep in mind that you can substitute chicken breasts if you prefer.   

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Buenos Dias, all! An interesting collection of days, and I love the quote! I have no idea what dinner will be tonight, as it’s not under our control. This is the last day of our vacation.
Goodbye Puerto Vallarta!

F043B4FD-52F7-459F-8F79-A6874186FFA3.thumb.jpeg.a924fe4da89f93b6fb02b83ad6a6c98f.jpeg

Today we fly home, and find out what awaits there. Anyone following the news from Canada has heard about the disaster situation in British Columbia. We are flying into Abbotsford airport, and BIL has his car waiting there. The airport is on higher ground, and still operating. Our flight has been rerouted from a four hour direct to a nine hour flight with a stop and layover in Edmonton. The prairies have been hit with their own winter storm, and none of us have the clothes for that climate with us. When we get to Abbotsford, we hope the water will have receded enough that we can get to Chilliwack. Chilliwack is currently an island. Routes to the west and south are under water from the Abbotsford / Sumas prairie flood. Routes to the north and east are cut off by mudslides at Hope and Agassiz. We will probably be staying with DHs cousin for a couple of days. She lives a twenty minute drive from the airport on higher ground and has beds waiting for us.

DS and BIL. They have no idea how long it will before there’s a clear route back to Kelowna. They may end up driving home via Seattle and Spokane, which would mean another PCR test to come back into Canada!

@rafinmd, Roy I’m glad you’re home, and hope your strength return faster than you expect. Take care of yourself. Your Daily family is rooting for you!

On a happier note, I watched the Konigsdam arrive and depart Puerto Vallarta yesterday. I waved to @dobiemom across the distance! It was so good to see a BHB with passengers again, and I dearly wish I was looking down at this right now:

FC66FE75-879A-4238-B50C-5549916D6D54.thumb.jpeg.c54a8e7577960ff175e6221914c2c46e.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Morning all gremlins still attacking CC on my iPad, so on my phone. This will be a very short post. 

Thank you Rich & Jacqui. Welcome home, Roy!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ata Rangi 2017 Pinot Noir (Martinborough)

A bit elusive, but very highly rated. I found several overseas distributors that ship to Florida. But it is out of my budget range - even without shipping. But I would love a taste. Online prices started at $64.97 +  shipping.

Tasting notes

Really pristine fruit aromas here with such pure, ripe red cherries and roses, as well as gently earthy and spicy nuances. Very fresh, precisely ripe and a pinot you can sit and just breathe in for days. The palate has a velvety layer that few others manage to find; silky at the core, succulent in the center and delivering such vibrant, red-cherry flavors in a long, pristine and fresh, red-cherry finish. Drink or hold. Screw cap.

James Suckling, JamesSuckling.com, October 2019
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Jacqui for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Friday!

My favorite Pipe and Drum march is the "Atholl Highlander." There are a number of videos on YouTube but my favorite is the one by Jim Ramsey recorded of the 3-SCOTS Black Watch homecoming parade in Perth.

St. John is on my bucket list - someday.

I turn over my files and keys today as treasurer of our local railroad museum to my replacement. After two years holding the office I decided not run for a third term. It has been hard on us as a non-profit due to COVID as twice we could not hold our annual fundraiser. While closely monitoring our savings and income these last two years, the museum just went into the negative column with expenses last month. Thankfully we are still very solvent due to being frugal for our 27 years of existence.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Safe travels today!

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Saint John New Brunswick - where the St. John River meets the Bay of Fundy:

Saint John is the oldest incorporated city in Canada. Around 33 years ago a cruise ship sought shelter from a hurricane and requested permission to head here to hunker down.  Of course it was granted and the city went to work creating shore excursions, tours and a welcome.  The crew and passengers were so impressed that they requested to return again and Saint John became a cruise port and grew into a popular stop on many itineraries. Cruisers are greeted warmly here - welcomed with roses for the ladies & pins for the men.  Major work has been done to the port area to make it very attractive and tempting.

13C52C2B-56ED-4328-8DFA-0095BBF6C150.thumb.jpeg.7cfead7672ce583c2a27abd0833d08d4.jpeg

It’s city market is also the oldest in Canada.  It’s worth a visit.  

555E3FD0-2477-4F5B-AF5B-6949CFE37ABA.jpeg.1dca2f15176d1213b3dd8dded58d4663.jpeg

it’s much more than just a regular food market with ethnic foods as well and crafts.  Very diverse.  of course, you’ll find lobster and lots of fresh seafood here.  Lords Lobster has great lobster rolls 😉 

D3D7D7A9-C6D3-4D88-A3A1-3F5191DDB4B7.jpeg.1b1e6a9c5048b475ac0d8bfd02845fdb.jpeg

Many will head to St. Andrews, St. Martin’s caves or Hopewell Rocks but there is lots to see in this city.  You can just relax at the board walk:

69194F85-CF29-4C4E-80FF-442458B7057A.jpeg.0163ebea43a4aaaf21b7269e770c7037.jpeg

Go on a walk to see some of the amazing buildings that are heritage protected whether you do it on your own or with a guide.

8C187131-AEED-4EBD-A6B5-C21E00D736F9.jpeg.cc0fa8697b65ead9517d235820590ce8.jpeg

Hop on the horse drawn trolleys to see some of the sights and views.  

1EFEC5C9-2DFA-40E1-9CDC-6E632550FAA6.jpeg.823951ddb7aff1f53356c065be464657.jpeg

Reversing Falls is appreciated by many.  You need to be there at high tide or low tide though so see the effect.  And from the bridge you can easily see all the ships in port.

F3D762A2-0925-4829-8E34-4FA44D6F88F7.jpeg.665c2665e6314e3d546602d42c60a692.jpeg

People here are warm, welcoming and helpful to any visitors.  I’m sure you will be sorry to say good bye to this port.

F734DCE9-4880-4963-A02A-26C59D6A0407.jpeg.4573a14e4a720cf568fe64ff94a839cf.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 13

Book club is about to attack reading Jack London.  

I got the booster on Wednesday and had bad reaction to it, called out from work and slept all day yesterday.  I work at home, so i looked at the desk, and turned around and went back to bed.  Very easy commute.

Never like Brussel sprouts until a few years ago.  They reminded me of the original body snatchers movie.  Finally had some roasted, and got over my fear. 🙂

• Like 21
  • Haha 4

Good morning everyone. I haven’t played monopoly in years, but I did play when my children and grandchildren were young.

I will celebrate women’s entrepreneurship because I owned my own business remediating children with learning disabilities. 
It’s 35 degrees here this morning. Yesterday it was 70;and probably the end of our beautiful days for a while.

I read this morning that covid is rising again in our state and that’s not good. We visited St.John a few times on our Canada cruises.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25

12 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

St. John is on my bucket list - someday

A note of caution here.  There are 2 Canadian Cities with similar names that are easily confused.  Today's port is SAINT John in New Brunswick and is always spelled out. Just a little further is St. Johns in Newfound and always abbreviated.  It can be confusing and far too many times people have flown into the wrong city by mistake.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF (TGIH for me) daily, Rich.  A nice selection of days, especially bagpipes with my Scottish heritage.  Nice quote by London.  I've visited Saint John a couple of times, including once on the Veendam when I had coffee with @kazu.  The meal sounds pretty good.  I disembarked MS Prinsendam 4 years ago yesterday.  I think I'll put the alternate meal suggestion on hiatus until I finish radiation.

@kazu, can you do the lists at least one more day.  I need to catch up on my grocery shopping early tomorrow morning.

Roy

Glad you are out of the hospital Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A note of caution here.  There are 2 Canadian Cities with similar names that are easily confused.  Today's port is SAINT John in New Brunswick and is always spelled out. Just a little further is St. Johns in Newfound and always abbreviated.  It can be confusing and far too many times people have flown into the wrong city by mistake.

Roy

It happens a lot - or baggage / a package in Newfoundland when it was supposed to be in New Brunswick and vice versa.

LOL Roy, St Johns, Newfoundland is more than a little further away 😉.  It takes time to get to the Rock 😉 

• Like 21
  • Haha 4

Today's Sunrise is from the aftermath of a 2012 Crystal Symphony Panama Canal cruise, Charleston (Not New York due to Superstorm Sandy) to Los Angeles.  I disembarked November 18 and November 19 was my first morning on Amtrak's Sunset Limited to Chicago and back home. 

dawn19.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love bagpipes in a marching band, and find them quite soul-stirring when listening to a lone piper.  I never liked playing Monopoly, because I always ran out of money before everyone else!  Yay for women entrepreneurs; there are more and more every day.

We haven't been to Saint John, but it's on our list - it would be nice to see the area that is so near and dear to @kazu's heart.

While we were just kicking around the house yesterday afternoon, the doorbell rang - there was an older couple from down the street with a plate of fresh baked cookies.  They said they hadn't been out in such a long time, that now they've had their boosters, they felt a little braver and ventured out.  We invited them in and had a lovely visit, hearing all about their family's events, and catching up on neighbourhood happenings.  I can't recall the last time someone just came to the door like that; it was refreshing, a real throw-back to the days when friends would just drop in unannounced and you'd put on the coffee.  Miss those days.

I like today's menu suggestion, but will put it away for another day.  It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so we'll take a look at the online menus to see what appeals to us.  Whatever it is, I'm sure there will be enough for the 2 of us, plus a snack for DH late in the night.  And wine.

@Horizon chaser 1957sending prayers and good wishes for your return trip today; please keep us apprised of your progress.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Celebrating the happy list by clinking our glasses together tonight.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm, cloudy and yet undetermined day at the beach

Have not played Monopoly in years, and now there are co many versions. Have not been to todays port but it is on the list. @kazu pictures are wonderful- thank you.

A new Irish shop opened here a few weeks ago. I bought my sister a very bright colored wrap and sent it to her. She wore it yesterday while getting her chemo and received many compliments. It made her happy, as she  loves color! No browns or black for her. 

Hope to do water aerobics this AM if the rain holds off.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone, sea day for me today on my way back to Ft Lauderdale.

I have visted today's port several times. One of my favorite cruises is the so called "snowbird migration" from Quebec to South Florida in the fall.

@kazu your photos were great and reminded me of my many good visits to Saint John's, thanks. Agree with you that the market is well worth a visit.

@rafinmdget better soon, 

🙏 For all being so badly affected by the floods and mudslides.

Mary

• Like 21

Good morning.  I love the sound of bagpipes.  Loved to play Monopoly but the rest of the family didn't.  I totally agree with the London quote.  The meal sounds and looks fantastic.  Will print this out for the future.  We've been to Saint John New Brunswick.  Got there on Canada day and our hotel room faced the Bay of Fundy.  Got to sit in the room and watch the fireworks.  Sadly, no photo's.  Roy, please don't overdo things.  Take it easy.  @Horizon chaser 1957safe travels home.  I hope the trip home goes smoothly. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Major prayers for all those in flood danger.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Ti' Punch:

The national cocktail of Martinique is as easy to make as it is to drink, using just three ingredients, including the island’s native spirit, rhum agricole.
Ingredients
1 lime wheel
2 ounces rhum agricole
1 teaspoon sugar cane syrup
Steps
Squeeze a lime wheel into a chilled rocks glass. Add the rhum agricole and sugar cane syrup, and top with ice if desired.

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 8.50.13 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Great to see our Roy home and posting. Take care of yourself. Prayers lifted up for all on our care list.

Thank you Rich and fellow Daily-ites for your contributions. I'm torn on today's quote.

I really enjoy bagpipes. I think we discussed this before, probably last year on bagpipe day 😉 We have been twice to the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo and I would love to go again someday. Scotland is a beautiful country. 

image.png.2ead197b6c17c9d6c25a78e95fae5674.png

image.png.0972ff821516e7adeba70ff85033a55d.png

image.png.b6709bd7fcce68ad38a6ae57ca4e28fd.png

This sounds odd, but I only make Brussels sprouts with pork. Same with cabbage.

Not sure what I am going to make for dinner. Maybe chicken potpie. 

I had a Happy Hour with my Mahjongg ladies and a few spouses. One couple is moving to the Houston area next month. She will really be missed 😞

Blessings, Cheers and Prayers to all my friends here on the Daily. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3