The Daily for Monday 04/11/2022

richwmn

Today is Barbershop Quartet Day, National Poutine Day (Canada), and National Pet Day

It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Meal Suggestion for today - seared salmon
Drink of the Day - Peachtree Martini
Wine of the Day - Perinet 2016 Merit Red (Priorat)
Destination of the Day - Portland (Weymouth), England, United Kingdom

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Cartagena Colombia
Nieuw Statendam   Destination Roseau, DM eta 4/12

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Honolulu, Hawaii eta 4/17
Zuiderdam   Destination San Diego, Califor

Bimini Sands Resort

Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Panama Canal

Nieuw Amsterdam   05:00 - 05:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

At Sea Pacific

Westerdam   Destination Long Beach eta 4/13

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0411World.thumb.png.744880fb72f6e8ccc431ead7fc44386f.png

0411Caribbean.thumb.png.3c0167e58e6874e4cb27de8fc0ae09d0.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Bertie believes it's always Pet Day.🙂

Good quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good - I'll check the freezer for salmon.  Looking forward to seeing recipes and pictures.

The drink and wine sound good too.

Prayers for everyone.

I hope today is the start of a wonderful week.

• Like 30

Good afternoon.

It is currently 50°F and sunny 

I had a doctor's appointment this morning and he recommended  x-rays of both my painful knees.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Interesting days.

Pets should be appreciated every day.

Excellent quote.

Salmon sounds delicious.

I will give the drink and wine a miss.

Portland is not a well known or used port in England.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who they will help.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220411_115822.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!!  Checking in before I run out to the dentist about my chipped tooth.  I think I hear the words, root canal and crown in my future.  Have a great day, I have no idea how long I'll be gone, and then I start working the late shift.  I did go to bed at 9 last night, preparing for the worlds weirdest work week.  Have a great day!

catslpresso-catpuccino-cat-meme-coffee-b

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 36
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Barbershop quartets and pets always bring a smile to my face.  Enjoy your poutine friends from the north!  The meal and drink suggestions sound tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 

• Like 29

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I love Barbershop Quartets and while I don't own a per salute those who do.  I love the Rowling quote and have been to Portland on the Elegant Explorer.  I'll pass on both the Poutine and the salmon.  My alternative is AChilled Anjou Pear Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, and Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy and Cranberry as served on MS Amsterdam April 11, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Duane Haskins
Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH in hospital post heart attack
Lady Hudson Sister with stroke
From the rotation:
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Jen slow recovery from fall

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
6 days for sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam 4/17 to 5/8)
Bon Voyage  Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)
GTVCRUISER and Tioga Cruiser (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13), Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17)  at sea
HorizonChaser1957 making the difficult but correct decision to forgo family gathering
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Norseh2o on family  celebration
Great FUNd raiser for cat shepard
Crazy for Cats great outcome as squeaky wheel after Jet Blue foulup
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  Love barbershop quartets (good ones 😉) and a good poutine.  I’ll happily celebrate everyone else’s pets and the memories of mine.

5246A6AC-128E-4DC0-AB0D-A708E6A6B69A.jpeg.c7aad4e5aa6df9d5aacd84dffa6d18dd.jpeg

Love the quote by Rowling.  She has a lot of good ones!  Seared salmon sounds good and the drink of the day intriguing.

Portland was a wonderful stop for us on the Prinsendam.  Weymouth is a very popular resort and  pretty but there are some wondrous sights aside from it.  The Jurassic Coast area is UNESCO world heritage site and worth exploring.  I will see if I can find some pics later, time permitting.

Well, Garden Club participants, I think I made a mistake.  Last year my cobaea scandens seeds (cup and saucer)  did nothing much and I swore I wouldn’t try again.  But I did and I am just hoping we are frost free early this year so I can get them outside. They fill the entire windowsill

128E5BF7-2137-409B-9334-9CB51C538A36.thumb.jpeg.42a7be4c5a56bd3fa9d57e848be28d2a.jpeg

I’ve had to add extensions to their climbers as they were reaching for the blinds and put chili babies in between them so they didn’t grab each other’s netting.

CDC4F206-30D7-494C-B701-5F3C7B8990E0.thumb.jpeg.a97de85a79e851a7dd9228743df0b13d.jpeg

I’m afraid they are going to get too tall before the risk of frost is gone.   😱 and yes, I took the pics with my new phone 😉 

@marshhawkyikes on your tooth 😬 I hope the dentist can repair it without the intrusive work you anticipate 🤞 

Dirty work to do today - the bank and my lawyer for legal stuff that’s no fun but will make sure Jose is cared for should something happen to me.  Hope I will have the energy for the hospital after.  It will definitely be wine o’clock later on today 😉 

8386B00B-FF17-4AF9-8931-495BFCEED634.jpeg.205542cda2991f08ee8f46ac5690ca55.jpeg

Well, it’s Easter week, so you know what that means, don’t you?

D929CF2F-6E95-402A-9D2A-C6A7A4C98E79.thumb.jpeg.6b605fcb1f36dee06892d99cf2cfccfb.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!!!

66F155E9-A288-483A-B565-72992000E1C8.jpeg.55f9558ed3d137f48d49538f3cfe2187.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 37
  • Haha 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another cool morning, but the sun will quickly warm us up. Looks like another beautiful day. The local deer herd just wandered through with fawn #4 joining the other three, though still a bit wobbly on its legs. This pic is from last evening, while their Mom’s were in my back yard eating, the three oldest fawns were tasting my neighbor’s bushes.

D71C883F-D9CC-47C6-BAE1-D4ECCD1CC861.jpeg.7950e4c1f2ea5bc7ae5df4ca2739b30c.jpeg

Made washing dishes a heck more enjoyable. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Off to an early class. 

Monday smiles…

D2D94FA9-402C-4D23-AB77-D908DD6670A1.jpeg.8063e98860a26d59381d9239f9223b75.jpeg

C7EE8808-ED76-4033-8E2B-B3E817DCCDDB.jpeg.ad13c5aba51c6bcbe90b2a51d4b5a731.jpeg

BD978A58-92CD-4AC8-BEEC-53CDA50F3386.jpeg.223780683fe4284a7ddc6da1e1631281.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Perinet 2016 Merit Red (Priorat)

With an average rating of 90 from 5 critics, this sounds like a lovely wine. A few online distributors with prices starting at $24.98.

Distributor’s notes

Tiny and entirely composed of craggy, jagged and deeply terraced vineyards, Priorat is a Catalan wine-producing region that was virtually abandoned until the early 1990s. Its renaissance came with the arrival of one man, René Barbier, who recognized the region’s forgotten potential. He banded with five friends to create five “Clos” in the village of Gratallops. Their aim was to revive some of Priorat’s ancient Carignan vines, as well as plant new—mainly French—varieties. These winemakers were technically skilled, well-trained and locally inspired; not surprisingly their results were a far cry from the few rustic and overly fermented wines already produced. 

This movement escalated Priorat’s popularity for a few reasons. Its new wines were modern and made with well-recognized varieties, namely old Carignan and Grenache blended with Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. When the demand arrived, scarcity commanded higher prices and as the region discovered its new acclaim, investors came running from near and far. Within ten years, the area under vine practically doubled. 

Priorat’s steep slopes of licorella (brown and black slate) and quartzite soils, protection from the cold winds of the Siera de Monstant and a lack of water, leading to incredibly low vine yields, all work together to make the region’s wines unique. While similar blends could and are produced elsewhere, the mineral essence and unprecedented concentration of a Priorat wine is unmistakable.

Edited by cat shepard
I forgot the darn pic!
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

We have no pets at this time, but do adore other's pets. I've never had poutine, but am sure I would enjoy it; DH not a chance. I love listening to barbershop quartets.

Great quote. Love salmon although it will be shrimp stir fry tonight since I didn't feel up to cooking last night. 

It is 50 here now and the forecast is sunny with a high of 70.

DH is better, he just has that end of cold sound in his voice. I feel slightly stuffy, but my throat feels better.

Wishing everyone a magical Monday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

It is rainy but warmer here in northeast Ohio.   No pool today as I couldn't get a pool time I wanted.  Instead, I will walk the track and do the weight machines.  It is good to switch things up now and then.  I need to get the printing order in for literature and program materials for our conference at the end of the month.  

Salmon is one of my favorites, but only when it is well done.   It is one of the fish you can eat that can have tapeworm parasites in it. So, it either needs to be frozen and very low temperatures for a week or cooked completely.  Take heed!  

This first recipe is described as a technique rather than a recipe.  It does have good information and tips on how to prepare and cook the salmon for the just right finish.  It also recommends a center that is just barely cooked.  Not in my house!   https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/restaurant-style-pan-seared-salmon.html

1716317034_searedsalmon1.thumb.jpg.01805b229ab102c6ef2b86e40aac5920.jpg

This next one sears the salmon and then finishes it with a lemon garlic butter sauce.  Sounds great in my book and looks even better!   I would have a hard time turning this one down.   https://cafedelites.com/crispy-seared-lemon-garlic-herb-salmon/

1157016058_searedsalmon2.thumb.jpg.c17439a1ed0c42275f17ef4159cdf998.jpg

This recipe cooks skin side down first where the first one did flesh side down first.  I would probably do the skin down first.  The trick to doing this well is to make sure your pan and oil are hot before you add the salmon.  The seasoning here looks really good.https://www.themediterraneandish.com/pan-seared-salmon-recipe-with-orange-juice-wilted-spinach-and-arugula/

520047135_searedsalmon4.thumb.jpg.d436c8ca2bc196a8983eec84cb106d9e.jpg

Prayers for those in need, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.   Cheers to those celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Good Monday morning.  It's cold here!!!  Love listening to a Barbershop Quartet.  Had a neighbor who was in one and they would practice at his home sometimes.  Pet day is everyday here.  Will find a photo later.  DH would love the meal, me not so much.  Have not been to England.

Prayers to our care list, and @kazu with unpleasant duties today.  Toasts to our celebrations.

Please continue to use caution and wear your mask.  Hugs for my daily family.

Peachtree Martini:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1 splash Orange Juice
Garnish: Peach Slice

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a peach slice.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 8.01.32 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  It remains chilly but we are promised almost 60 degrees later. I will salute all of the days  and we have been to the port on the Prinsendam.

We had a chance of plans for dinner last night as DSIL was leaving early for a Yankees game.He wore his heavier coat and a hat as it remained chilly yesterday. The rest of us had pizza with cauliflower  crust for some,regular  thin crust for. the others.Today we are having a red bean and rice dish that I am trying fir the first time.

Pet day is everyday  here

20220306_182312.jpg

• Like 32

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a sunny but cool day and tomorrow is supposed to be 70.

Every day is pet day for the rulers of the house.

We have Noordam in tomorrow for the day and Zaandam and QM 2 on Thursday. 
     Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏🎉

• Like 26

I have only one sunrise for April 11.  It's from the 2014 MS Amsterdam voyage from Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale.  On April 11 we crossed the Equator on the way from Ascension to Cape Verde:

dawn0411.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning, thanks for the daily report.  While I enjoy our vacations it’s always good to be home with the cats.  All seven of them have been demanding attention and treats, they got both.  Since I traveled outside of the US I’m not allowed in the office for seven days.  While sorting through emails I’m getting a load of laundry done.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday morning.  We have a sunny and mild day wow!   An interesting mix of days.    I love fries but pretty much with ketchup but mostly plain.  Salmon is a no.   Both the cocktail and the wine look great.     Have not been to Weymouth. 

Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for everyone else here who has a need.  🙏

I am heading to visit my DB who is in rehab but doing very well.  I think he needs to get up and move around a bit more if he wants to get out sooner rather than later.   Then a manicure.   Then probably some yard work.   Have a lovely day everyone! 

My beloved pet Tiny RIP 10/22/2019

Tiny fire cat.jpg

• Like 32

Good morning friends!  It was 46F this morning so we went for a walk outside.  Unfortunately the sky didn't have a magnificent display as the sun neared the horizon since it was clear and there were no clouds to filter the colors. But who's complaining, right?  It will be about 72F again today and no rain expected until Wednesday night or Thursday.  We're getting another round of storms crossing the south again this week.  Thanks Rich for the Daily.  Cheers to the pets today, barbershop quartets, and anyone who loves poutine.  I've never had any.  DH would love the seared salmon.  One of his favorite dinners on a BHB is the salmon.  Another Rowling quote I see.  I've never read a Harry Potter book so I'm out of the loop on that topic.  We also went to Portland (Weymouth), UK on the Prinsendam.  See all we are missing with that ship removed from our fleet?  I wonder if Roy or Jacqui was on the same cruise as we were.  Sept. 13, 2018?  (edited to add Terry too since she was on the Prinsendam in Portland)  I would enjoy showing you some photos of that day.  It was sunny and clear there.  I'll be back later with those.

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  We have lessened the length of the Care list but all involved are deserving of our prayers.  Ukraine, Jose and Jacqui, Tana and family, @Lady Hudson's sister after her stroke, and @Sea Viewer's DH in the hospital after his heart attack.  Jacqui, sorry about the task ahead of you today but you are wise to take care of it now.  Yay for the IPhone photos!  And I enjoy your memes as always.  Thanks @cat shepardfor your memes, too.  @JAM37Julia, nice to hear DH is a little better, but have you taken your test yet.  Too early?  If you do I hope it's negative too.  When is the best time to take the test after noticing symptoms?  I'm so glad to see a long Celebration list!  I'm cheering for you all.  I'm also happy to say Ren's Tigers won yesterday's game so yay Tigers!

Good luck today @marshhawkAnn at the dentist.  Hope it's not as bad as you anticipate.  And @grapau27Graham I hope the X-rays help with your doctor's diagnosis and plan on what to do for your painful knees.  Good luck!  Going to look for photos now.  Have a great day everyone!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

We enjoy other peoples pets as ours have all passed on. I do enjoy a good Barbershop Quartet. Not a fan of salmon so I will pass on todays meal.

The quote is a good one. Have not been to todays port.

@JAM37 Julia, Glad your DH is feeling better. Hope you too will soon be ok. Take care of yourself.

Water aerobics this AM.  Otherwise a quiet day. Lots to do here at home. After all the rain and wind, my windows need a good cleaning. So that will be my task today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1