The Daily for Saturday 05/14/2022

richwmn

Need to come back and read today's Daily later.... I have the Annual Meeting at the shelter this morning and I need to prepare for that. On the fire front, it looks like they got it contained, if not out. The evacuation order for the nearest residences was lifted about 9 last night. We did get a few animals yesterday and I think they will go home this morning. I wish I had my camera with me when the air tanker went over my condo....it was flying very low and was pretty spectacular. 

More later. 

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I danced the chicken dance with our 2 year old grandson a couple of weeks ago - he thought it was hilarious and ended up rolling on the floor laughing.  Couldn't have been better!  Our city is on a migratory bird path, so it's always interesting to see different birds passing through.  @marshhawk we get a lot of sandhill cranes around in the summer; you can see them soaring high in the sky and hear their calls clearly as they catch thermals.  We love seeing windmills standing on old farmsteads.

I'm not sure I agree with Mark Twain this morning - a lot of folks have read the classics.  I'll take a pass on the drink of the day (bourbon, you know), and although the cost of todays' wine is considerably less expensive than yesterday's, it's still out of my budget.

I had an interesting phone call yesterday.  A year ago my birth mother passed away (I have only met her 1 time, 47 years ago), but due to Covid the family couldn't have a service for her.  Yesterday I had a call from a couple of cousins who are planning things and they asked if DH and I would consider officiating at the graveside interment of my birth mother's ashes.  They will be interring the ashes of her common law husband at the same time.   I've done over 400 weddings and DH has officiated at more than 2 dozen funerals, so I said yes.    Now I have to go through DH's "funeral book" to see what would be appropriate for these two people - thankfully I have about 3 weeks to put things together, but we'll see how it turns out.   It will be a good time to get together again with my cousins, uncles and aunts from my birth family, as we haven't had much opportunity these past couple of years.   Life around our house is never dull!

It's a grey, cloudy day out there again today, but it looks like the rain has stopped.  We had a gentle (but cold) rain all day yesterday, but it only amounted to about 1/2 inch.  Other areas of the province to the east of us had hard driving rain and high winds, so much so that it ripped signs off buildings, toppled semi-trailers and tore shingles from roofs.  We were lucky.  

@summer slopeHappy Anniversary to the two of you!!

@kazuyour garden is going to look absolutely beautiful, just remember to pace yourself!

@StLouisCruisersthanks for the photos of St. Maarten - we always enjoy a stop there.

I like the menu suggestion for today, but have a small package of ground beef thawing so I think I'll be making beef fajitas instead of chicken for dinner tonight.  Fajitas and a crunchy coleslaw will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for our Daily family who are struggling.  Extra also for the people of Ukraine and all they're going through.  We'll raise our glasses together to salute all on the celebration list.  Be safe, wear your masks when you need to, get your boosters and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Need to come back and read today's Daily later.... I have the Annual Meeting at the shelter this morning and I need to prepare for that. On the fire front, it looks like they got it contained, if not out. The evacuation order for the nearest residences was lifted about 9 last night. We did get a few animals yesterday and I think they will go home this morning. I wish I had my camera with me when the air tanker went over my condo....it was flying very low and was pretty spectacular. 

More later. 

Susan

Glad you and your neighbors are safe from the fires.  Yes, a photo of that air tanker would be awesome to see.  Take care!

• Like 17

Good Morning All,

We have a bit of a heat wave this weekend. It’s pretty hazy, and you can definitely smell smoke, especially on exhale, ( from the Coastal Fire- which is a good distance away) but interestingly, the SCAQMD says air quality is good. 

We’ve  got some work in the yard to do today. The wildflowers (first wave) have pretty much gone to seed. Have a wire trellis to finish installing for the passion fruit. And there’s the garage that needs attention. 

Yesterday a friend and I went on a day trip up Route 66. We started at a favorite donut shop, (for their strawberry donut), did the museums in Barstow, then on to Calico. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25

I've been having so much fun with my family that I'm a bit behind in posting. So, before the week gets away:

🙏Prayers for all needing them.🙏

🎉And, joys for all celebrating!🎉

@rafinmd Thanks for including me on the celebration list earlier this week. Being with my family is such a joy!

@Cruzin TerriYour fortitude and patience throughout your trip has been a lesson to us all.

@Horizon chaser 1957Thanks for the "If a Thing is Worth Doing; It's Worth Doing Badly" earlier this week. I have copied it to my calendar as a daily reminder that, some days with my DH's situation, all I can manage is "badly" and that's okay.

@kazu Extra 🙏prayers🙏 for you as you travel new paths.

And, thanks, to all the Daily-ites for your continued support. You 'prop up' me at the times most needed!

-Melisa

• Like 27

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

One year ago today was a good but not pleasant day.  I was up very early and picked up before dawn to University of Maryland Hospital to go under the catheter (plus a couple of tubes down my throat).  Just out of curiosity I went back to my return to cruise critic late in the day.  I had just my IPAD mini so I didn't do a lot of typing.

Roy

+1

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!

It's a rainy morning, but the sun will break through later with a high of 60.  I hope to get out in the garden after we get our 2nd boosters in a few hours.  After reading and hearing that "mixing and matching" can boost the efficiency of the boosters, we plan to get Moderna today after having had Pfizer for our first 3.  I got apologies from the nurse and doctor for the snafu in telling me I have Covid...I know they're slammed right now and everyone makes mistakes, but that will be a day I won't forget. 😲

Interesting days, the quote isn't true for me, the meal sounds really good for today.  I think I'll get a rotisserie chicken today when we get our boosters. Fajitas tonight and easy meals the next few days in case the booster lays me flat...or not.  I don't think we've been to St. Martin, thanks for all photos.  Will pass on the wine and drink.

Happy Anniversary Dixie @summer slope!

Jacqui @kazuyour garden is looking great as always.

Susan @durangoscotsso glad that you're safe from the fires.

Terri @Cruzin Terriwelcome home!!

• Like 23

Good Afternoon from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Have not posted in the last several days but I have been following the thread. 

Played golf  this AM with DS. We were first off and it was beautiful.  Now home and trying to catch up.

Not sure I agree with todays quote. I enjoy the classics and am currently in the process of re-reading " Pride and Prejudice". I love that book.

Thanks Debbie @dfish for the recipes. We all enjoy fajitas here.

@summer slope  A very Happy Anniversary . May you have many more.

Finally got the gift card fiasco straightened out and my credit card restored. Not sure why that was such a problem! But it is done!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21

Happy Migrating Bird Day!  I took these pelican pictures from the Zuiderdam when we were in Huatulco in February.B9DF0122-AC85-4D27-8649-91F5EDF8F267.thumb.jpeg.5bef4b59664d0f909edc0265dccb7312.jpeg

Have you ever seen so many at one time?

94793BE2-67AE-4732-AD90-F3A1636B1F28.thumb.jpeg.b6792c1ad4597fda78d5c8a2653bac25.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from sunny, warm central Texas.  We had a surprise thunderstorm come though here last night.  There was a lot of thunder and lightning, and it rained hard for a while, but it actually didn't rain that much.  It did clear the air for now.

We've never done the chicken dance at a wedding, but did it many times while chaperoning the DDs band parties.  The band director was from Lake Charles, LA, and loved that song.  We will celebrate migrating birds and windmills.  In 2016, we did a tour to Volendam to see the windmills.

The Mark Twain quote is interesting.  I have read some classics, but am not really a classics fan.

We have chicken fajitas often, but tonight it will be Cuban black beans and rice with our wine.

We have been to Sint Maarten/Saint Martin many times, with the last one being in 2004 on the Golden Princess when our older DD got married on the ship.  Most or our Caribbean cruises were in the pre-digital age, but I'll look to see what pictures I have.

@kazu  Jacqui, your garden is already looking lovely.  I like the memes today, especially the ones about house cleaning and autocorrect.  They are true here.

@JAM37  Julia, hope your headache and backache are better.

@summer slope  🥂 🍾 HAPPY 56TH ANNIVERSEARY!  🌹 💕

@marshhawk  Ann, I'm glad that you and your DH are carving out time to have fun.

@durangoscots  Susan, that is good news that the fire is contained and maybe even out.  I hope the animals can return home to their people today.

@ger_77  Gerry, that is an interesting request to officiate at the interment of your birth mother's ashes.  

@HAL Sailer  It is such good news that you are enjoying your time with your family.

@Overhead Fred  I like the new patio furniture.

@Cruzin Terri  Welcome home.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, and @summer slope Dixie, thank your for sharing your pictures.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Aloha! Just read all the post? @summer slopeHappy Anniversary!💐

It’s tidy up day at the Villa so in order for housekeeping to clean you have to vacate for two hours. So will head up to Lihue for a couple of supplies and the car needs gas. At $5.60 a gallon! Yikes!

Starting our last week. It’s been a wonderful vacation and we never tire coming here. 

So it’s time for breakfast and for many of you late lunch. Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the report and post.

• Like 23

Well rats! I'm now a statistic among the Covid positive ranks. DGD has had it for a week but even masking and keeping our distance it wasn't enough. The only good part of this is that all my pre-op in-person appointments are just over 2 weeks away so surgery should still happen. DH will pick up the medication in an hour. Phooey!

@kazuIf you have airline mileage plans, be sure to contact them for transfers too.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

I looked for my pictures of Sint Maarten and the only digital pictures I have were taken February 3, 2004, the day after DD and DSIL's wedding.  We just walked into town, and I'm not sure if we got much further than the area around the new cruise pier.

A couple of pictures of  the new pier as we walked into town.

DSC00216.thumb.JPG.5b708a23ef920aa9c3b331def44346d4.JPG

IMG_2550.thumb.JPG.13dde03295d73c154a9e4ecb841692b6.JPG

The market place near the pier

DSC00220.thumb.JPG.9fd0252384603d73cb54d2d635ec4d6f.JPG

A nearby beach.  It was a slow day in port with just the Ruby Princess and one small cruise ship.

DSC00219.thumb.JPG.7d81522a74ea069f13c0b5cd586e6233.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'll refrain from dancing like a chicken today. A salute to migratory birds. Windmills are a favorite. I'll disagree with the quote; I like reading the classics and reread Jane Austen a lot.

I like the meal, sans tortillas. Pass on the drink. I like the wine, but still too pricey for me.

I have been to Phillipsburg.

It's sunny and warm, and much more humid today. It's our neighborhood yard sale day, and there are people everywhere, parking willy nilly, and running across streets in the middle. I was working on my tiny little plot where I plant tomatoes this AM, and was dripping wet from not that much exertion. I want to trim some of my neighbor's invading bushes and vines, but I may wait until it's less humid, although it may rain the next 3 days. Yesterday I got the edging and mowing done just in time, before some rain showers popped up. 

@kazu The garden is looking good. I need to go to the garden center too, but will combine it with a trip to the big box store on Monday (weekends are too crazy).

@JAM37 Don't injure yourself with all that work you're doing.

@summer slope HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

@smitty34877 Nice to have a cool house! I hope DD and Tana feel better.

@dfish Same here with the string of sunny days; we only average about 160 sunny days a year here. 

@Cruzin Terri Welcome home.

@durangoscots I'm glad the fire is contained; stay safe!

@ger_77 It will be good to see some of your relatives by birth, although the occasion is a funeral with DH officiating.

@HAL Sailer So good to hear you're enjoying that family time. 

@Overhead Fred That deck and patio set looks inviting.

@Cruising-along That had to be so stressful, having the doctor make that mistake! They need to double check when giving patients results. 

@cunnorl Yay on finally getting the gift card situation straightened out.

@SusieKIslandGirl Sorry to hear you're positive, but I hope your case is mild.

Prayers for the Care List, and Ukraine and its helpers. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

From my Nov 23, 2021 post: Due to my bad knee, I didn't walk around much.

A rainbow as we approached Sint Maarten

1119292696_005-11_20.19RainbowoverGreatBayPhillipsburgSt.Maarten.thumb.jpg.8cc69bbfd8474c1764124cfecc831970.jpg

Great Bay Beach

1199034465_014-11_20.19GreatBayBeach(MB)PhillipsburgSt.Maarten.thumb.jpg.c2331279c1d6410d2b3f914b80fa8cac.jpg

117694757_016-11_20.19GreatBayBeachwithcruiseshipsinbackground(MB)PhillipsburgSt.Maarten.thumb.jpg.1d92d5a3b97925713531f50d525bfb09.jpg

Sunset as we left

321156905_019-11_20.19SunsetPhillipsburgSt.Maarten.thumb.jpg.b33d0225cacf4802e082cdbbedd46af6.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Well rats! I'm now a statistic among the Covid positive ranks. DGD has had it for a week but even masking and keeping our distance it wasn't enough. The only good part of this is that all my pre-op in-person appointments are just over 2 weeks away so surgery should still happen. DH will pick up the medication in an hour. Phooey!

@kazuIf you have airline mileage plans, be sure to contact them for transfers too.

Sorry to hear about your positive test.  Better now rather than later I guess in your case.  Good to hear you have some medication coming too.  So take care of yourself and get over it quickly.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1