The Daily for Saturday 06/11/2022

richwmn

Belmont Stakes

Today is National Corn on the Cob Day, Cousteau Day, and King Kamehameha Day

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.--C.S. Lewis

Meal Suggestion for today - Italian Sausage Orzo
Drink of the Day - Double Oak Whiskey Smash
Wine of the Day - Ettore Germano 2017 Extra Brut Sparkling (Alta Lan
Destination of the Day - Zanzibar, Tanzania

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 06/12
Noordam   Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/12
Rotterdam   Destination Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland

Boston, Massachusetts

Zaandam   07:00 - 17:00

Kiel, Germany

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 17:00

Kotor, Montenegro

Oosterdam   07:00 - 14:00

Seattle, Washington

Eurodam   07:00 - 16:00

Skagway, Alaska

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 21:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:30

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Seattle, WA

Westerdam  

0611World.thumb.png.f21fe271048be710c18c252e1babf2b5.png
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

It looks like is should be a lovely Saturday, sunny and mild.  I think I'll do laundry and hang it outside to dry.  I've got some gardening to do too, the vacuuming can wait.🙂

No corn on the cob for us today, it's too early for home grown corn.  I used to love watch Jacques Cousteau on tv.     King Kamehameha sounds like he was an impressive person.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'd like to try the drink.  Hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I love all 4 days and the quote.  I have been to Zanzibar on the Rovos Rail Dar es Salaam to Cape Town journey but never on a cruise.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho and Lamb Loin with Mint Chinchurri as served on MS Prinsendam June 11, 2015.  Feeling normal this morning.

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
Covid in CrabbiPatti, Cruising-along, and cunnorl families with covid
Decline for Atexsix DD and Marshhawk friend
StLouisCruisers with covid across the hall
From the rotation:
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Last day for a ship without passengers
Bon Voyage  Oceansaway17(Allure OTS 6/11 to 6/18)
1 day for Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)
2 days for VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
3 days for Norseh2o I](Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
5 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother and sister
Dismomx5 negative on covid
Good concert experience for Marshhawk and potential new job for DH
New crew arriving for Oosterdam
Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice). travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.

It is currently 11.45am 64°F and sunny here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I do not watch horse racing.

2 good days but I don't like corn on the cob.

Excellent quote.

I am church of England Protestant and believe in Christianity.

Nice meal as I like most Italian food but will miss the drink.

Prayers 🙏 always for all of our friends who are unwell.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220611_113854.jpg

Screenshot_20220611_113829.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I love all 4 days and the quote.  I have been to Zanzibar on the Rovos Rail Dar es Salaam to Cape Town journey but never on a cruise.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho and Lamb Loin with Mint Chinchurri as served on MS Prinsendam June 11, 2015.  Feeling normal this morning.

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
Covid in CrabbiPatti, Cruising-along, and cunnorl families with covid
Decline for Atexsix DD and Marshhawk friend
StLouisCruisers with covid across the hall
From the rotation:
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Last day for a ship without passengers
Bon Voyage  Oceansaway17(Allure OTS 6/11 to 6/18)
1 day for Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)
2 days for VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
3 days for Norseh2o I](Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
5 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother and sister
Dismomx5 negative on covid
Good concert experience for Marshhawk and potential new job for DH
New crew arriving for Oosterdam
Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice). travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for keeping all the list's updated Roy.

I'm pleased to hear you feel normal today and no hip pain.

I have had moderate hip arthritis shown on x-ray for 10 years and physiotherapy helps a lot with various exercises to do.

All the best for your x-ray results next week.

Graham.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Double Oak Whiskey Smash cocktail;

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam® Double Oak
Half of 1 Lemon
1 tablespoon Sugar, Granulated
7-8 leaves Mint, Fresh
1 cup Ice, Crushed

Instructions
Place the mint, lemon, and sugar in a cocktail shaker. Muddle together until the sugar has dissolved and the lemon has expressed its juices. Add the whiskey, cover, and shake for 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to an Old Fashioned glass. Top with crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of mint.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 6.55.28 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon everyone from Montenegro!  We are departing now, the new crew members have arrived and there was a medical transport for a crew member. We are sailing through the bay, looks like a fjord although it isn’t according to the Captain. Just gorgeous! Can’t seem to post pictures now so I’ll do that later. 

• Like 36

Good Saturday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report that includes a nice collection of days.  I love corn on the cob!  I like today’s quote.  I’ll skip today’s meal suggestion as I’m not an orzo fan.  I would give today’s drink a go.  Have not been to today’s port. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to our Dailyites at sea or soon to be.

• Like 27

26 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone from Montenegro!  We are departing now, the new crew members have arrived and there was a medical transport for a crew member. We are sailing through the bay, looks like a fjord although it isn’t according to the Captain. Just gorgeous! Can’t seem to post pictures now so I’ll do that later. 

Sharon, 

It is too bad you were unable to stop in Kotor.  Montenegro is a beautiful country.  We have stopped there twice on cruises and each time we had a wonderful day.  Both times with a private driver.

Terri

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite the marine layer here this morning, but the breeze is gorgeous. Extra long morning walk for Bindi and me this morning. Then off to the gym.  Followed by gardening. And my landscape folk are getting my tall palms ready for storm season. Wrapping up the day by having a couple of friends over for dinner. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Happy to read your hip was feeling better.  Morning Dailyites.  

I need to show this to Bindi. She could start earning her keep. She would definitely be an alto. 

FE9ADF7E-FC0B-4F51-9E67-2B9DBF5409D1.jpeg.61a7c448b2ef977a71ef746af2bae7c9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Thinking of all of you who do not post as much these days. ❤️  Cheers to all who are celebrating!  Stay well everyone!

Ettore Germano 2017 Extra Brut Sparkling

This very dry sparkler has excellent reviews and consumers love it .  Might be a good replacement for those more expensive sparklers. A few online distributors with prices starting at $39.95.

95 Wine Enthusiast 

All about creamy elegance and flavor, this gorgeous sparkler has enticing scents that recall field flowers, white stone fruit, sun-warmed hay and a hint of citrus. On the dry, delicious palate, an extremely refined perlage accompanies ripe yellow apple, white peach and juicy white grapefruit before closing on a hint of hazelnut.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Thank you for the Daily Report.  Today is also "Knit in public" day, so I will be joining my Saturday group from 2-4 this afternoon while they knit in public.  I'll be cross stitching.  

• Like 27

Happy Saturday Dailyites! 

231755-Cute-Good-Morning-Happy-Saturday-Cats.jpg

DH and I are both working today, and it's a Formula 1 weekend, so I am up early to get donuts.  I'm just not awake enough to drive yet. Tomorrow is DH's birthday,  He wanted photo shop for his photographs, which I got him, and a Red Bull Race hat with Max's number.

We are meeting up with our friends for a nice lunch tomorrow at a Louisiana Bistro, and then for tomorrow night I got tickets for the new Musical, Trading Places.  Directed by Kenny Leon, at the theatre I sold tickets to while at the Woodruff.  So a symphony and a live play in the same week

Art class was interesting,  Held outside the doors of the senior center, because they are not open yet.  The teacher showed up late, and said the class went until 12:30.  The email I got said 11 to 11:45.  So since I had to work, I left at 11:45.  I still have to walk the neighbors dog every day, except weekends.

Well, awake or not, I got to get moving!  Have a great day everyone!  Stay safe.  Oh, I thought Jacque Cousteau was the sexist man in the world when I was young.  All that knowledge and sense of adventure!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 29
  • Haha 4

Good morning, everyone.

It is looking like another beautiful day here in northeast Ohio after a chilly start.  Love corn on the cob, especially if it is done on the grill.  I always liked Jacques Couteau.  Salute to the king, although I am not familiar with him.  Thank you to @grapau27 for the information.  

@Heartgrove Thinking of you as you are visiting with your sister and brother.  May your sister be kept comfortable and peaceful.  Hoping your brother can improve.  

@rafinmd Here's hoping the hip is just a muscle strain or pull and not arthritis.  Art is my constant companion but I can't say I enjoy his company.  

Today's meal sounds good, but I would have to make a substitution for the orzo.  Riced cauliflower or zoodles might work.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/italian-sausage-orzo/

165002940_Italiansausageorzo1.jpg.246b0133723668da7899f922986bbd3b.jpg

This next version is a one pot operation and is very creamy.  It is definitely not for those counting calories with the heavy cream that is added.  But, I bet it is really good eating.  https://www.saltandlavender.com/italian-sausage-orzo/600149364_Italiansausageorzo2.thumb.jpg.72d30eccd3f0b6c7510a975b08207e8e.jpg

The ingredient list is more than 5 items and doesn't match the title, but I like the addition of other vegetables.  Add some mushrooms, peppers for color and flavor, may eggplant and you can reduce the amount of orzo and cut the carbs.  https://www.tippsinthekitch.com/italian-sausage-and-zucchini-orzo/

50182374_Italiansausageorzo3.thumb.jpg.93b571a6bbee45f11674b9acb3b4bf25.jpg

This next one would be lower in calories as it has no cream in it.  I thought it looked really appealing because it was so colorful with the spinach and tomatoes.   https://emeals.com/recipes/recipe-47336-303410-Italian-Sausage-and-Orzo

427992046_Italiansausageorzo5.thumb.jpeg.c5f6e1bb3407b592f00c66fbf4296c54.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, our Daily family members struggling with challenges, and all those suddenly having to deal with Covid.  May those cases be short and light.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Nice collection of days.

I like the quote. The meal sounds great. 

A beautiful morning with sunshine and a temperature of 77.

Not much planned today other than a birthday call to my son, (33, my first born) and the pool. 

@1ANGELCAT prayers for Jaguar.

Roy, @rafinmd, glad to hear you're feeling better this morning.

Sharon, @Sharon in AZ, gorgeous sail away photo. Thank you. 

Wishing everyone a super Saturday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

In Ocean City for the air show.  Want chef the practice yesterday.  It was LOUD.  The Thunderbirds are very impressive.  My dinner plan for tonight is shrimp and orzo. (I’m a pescatarian.)  We’ll have broccoli and salad too.  And wine.  Here’s my recipe.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020330-shrimp-scampi-with-orzo

545740B3-2C0A-453F-89EC-714F5DAB14BC.jpeg.a4e75b9ef87375ff8bd5c7245e0d766a.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

I will try this again.  Don’t know where the last post went. Surely the CC gremlins ate it up.

Good Saturday Morning to all.

Today is the Belmont Stakes. When I lived in New York we lived within walking distance of the Belmont Race Track.  Believe it or not, I never went there.  My mom, on the other hand, would go with her Senior Citizen Group and always came back a winner.

Nice collection of days.  I love corn on the cob, especially if we grill it.  Jacques Cousteau was an amazing person with his love of the sea.  Went to his Oceanographic Museum in Monaco.  Very interesting visit.  King Kamehameha, the founder of Hawaii.  What would we do without Hawaii!!!

@rafinmdRoy, thank you for the Cares and Celebration lists.  Glad your hip is feeling better and hope the test results are good.

@HeartgrovePrayers for both your Sister and Brother

@StLouisCruisersPrayers for Buddy and please stay safe on your cruise.

@atexsixprayers to get over your Covid.  i read your summary of your cruise with DD.  You did a wonderful job of taking care of him and have unlimited patience.  You also know when it is time to say “no more”.  I know how difficult caregiving can be, having been there myself.  God Bless you for all you do for him.

@Cruising-alongprayers for you as you await a new kidney.

@kazuthinking about you.

@dfishThanks for the recipes and glad you are recovering well.

Prayers for all those who seem to have a breakthrough case of Covid.  It just seems to be more prevalent these days. Take it easy and try not to do too much too fast.

Cheers to those celebrating special days and to those cruising (stay safe)

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.  Enjoy the day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  While I'm not a horse racing fan, I understand how important the Belmont Stakes are to some folks.  Love corn on the cob!!  I recall watching Jacques Cousteau specials on black & white television as a child.  Great respect for King Kamehameha.

The doorbell rang yesterday and - there was the UPS driver with a package for me . . . my new credit card arrived - woo hoo!  Charge!!!!   I was surprised that it arrived so quickly, but then realized it wasn't shipped by Canada Post.  DH and I went for groceries yesterday (thankfully we were both there) and when it came time to pay for them, I reached into my purse and - no credit card.  It's such a habit, that for a moment I panicked, wondering if it had been stolen or lost.  As I said, thankfully DH was with me, as he used his card, rather than me having to do the walk of shame.

@Sharon in AZthat photo is postcard worthy!

@marshhawkHappy Birthday to your DH for tomorrow.

@JAM37Happy Birthday to your son.

Not a lot going on here today, just cleaning up more pollen from the deck.  DH's sister is coming over and will be bringing dinner for a delayed celebration of DH's birthday (in April).  Years ago she would have had us over to her place, but she's become somewhat of a hoarder, and doesn't like to have anyone in . . . that doesn't bode well, does it?  Anyway, she's going to be bringing ribs, baked potatoes and salad for dinner tonight, so we'll enjoy that on the deck.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   Extra for the people of Ukraine and for the families affected by gun violence.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all on the growing happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday morning. Raining here, a perfect way to not feel guilty sitting indoors watching the Belmont Stakes day of races.

I missed yesterday as the boat was put into the lake and we took a long ride around the lake and took my sister to dinner in town.  

@AncientWanderer thanks for the comment on the photos. I will keep them coming!  

Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for the people of Ukraine.  We will have a family of refugees up here at the lake for the 4th of July. A grandmother, her daughter and a baby.  Our neighbor's DIL is from Ukraine and her family is here and will try to stay for good. 

IMG_20220610_104347042.jpg

IMG_20220609_100731962.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone.Love corn on the cob and any veggies done on the grill. We have a brand new grill, bought right before DH got sick last June and it’s never been used. Think we will have to try timeout soon.

Our son is coming today to have an early Father’s Day lunch with Sam.

Prayers for so many on our list .

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 28

Thanks to all who keep this thread going.  I do enjoy stopping here each day. Roy — glad your hip is feeling better.  Prayers for all in need.

Starting to gather stuff for my trip on Thursday.  DH staying home and my daughter will act as caretaker.  But she is bringing her dog — grrr!  The dog is a rescue that I liked until it bit our much smaller Boston Terrier.  That was not a happy time.

Crockpot chicken today with rice.  No recipe — I make it up as I go along.  Katherine 

• Like 25