The Daily for Tuesday 06/14/2022

richwmn

4 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I think my sister was watching out for Sue and I. If we had been able to visit my brother yesterday, we would have been caught on the road in the storm!

I thinks she was too.  Bless her ❤️ 

4 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

My brother is in surgery right now.

Prayers that all goes well and he has a quick recovery 🙏🏻 and that the surgery helps 🙏🏻 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@Rowsby My condolences on the passing of your kitty.   That does leave a hole in your heart.

@Heartgrove I'm sure Kelley was looking down and saying, "I'm thinking not," in order to keep you safe.  Prayers for your brother for a successful surgery.

@StLouisCruisers I am so sorry this horrible virus has reared its ugly head and infected you.  Prayers that your DH stays negative and that the six day incarceration passes quickly.  I know this isn't how you wanted to spend your vacation.  @kazu Jacqui has a point about vaccination and light cases.  I think some countries have taken that approach and done away with all restrictions.  Prayers for Buddy.

@rafinmd Warm thoughts to you today.  Anniversaries are hard, especially since you couldn't say  your goodbyes to Roger in person.  Keep remembering that Alaskan cruise and the fun the two of you had.  

My visitor from last evening got something or someone in the neighborhood.  When I took my morning walk it was quite fragrant a few houses up the street.  It might have been a pet that got the treatment.  He hasn't been seen today, but we'll keep an eye out tonight.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

I’m sorry about all the illnesses and loses of family and friends. Also for losses and illnesses of much loved pets. Prayers for all of you.

@StLouisCruiserssorry to hear you are the latest in quarantine and about Buddy. I haven’t heard about Jen for a long time. How is she doing?

@kazuand @Seasick Sailorit‘s nice to see you posting.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Lots of prayers said today for those having surgery or unwell - Sandi, sorry you tested positive.  Hope your symptoms are mild.   Of course that may make it even more frustrating that you are in Covid jail!

We went downtown for Pat's laser eye surgery but it turned out it was a preliminary appointment only.  Drops and lots of tests, he was about an hour and the ophthalmologist said he does need the quick treatment - he was given an appointment for two days before we leave for Europe.  I sent him back in to change it for a date after we get back, as I wouldn't want there to be some little problem and the doctor say - come back in a week.  Right, from Copenhagen!  So now he will have it in August.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, dfish said:My visitor from last evening got something or someone in the neighborhood.  When I took my morning walk it was quite fragrant a few houses up the street.  It might have been a pet that got the treatment.  He hasn't been seen today, but we'll keep an eye out tonight.

We have skunks, raccoons, coyotes, and armadillo every night. Now sighted are wild hogs and fox. We live on the outskirts of our new Sun City development. We have raided their space. The armadillo are tearing up our yards! We have traps, pellets,  sprays but nothing keeps these little $hitz out!!

• Like 16

34 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We have skunks, raccoons, coyotes, and armadillo every night. Now sighted are wild hogs and fox. We live on the outskirts of our new Sun City development. We have raided their space. The armadillo are tearing up our yards! We have traps, pellets,  sprays but nothing keeps these little $hitz out!!

Joy, the armadillos are looking for bugs, maybe grub worms.  We have one that has been working on our yard for more than a month.  I just decided to look at it as they are aeriating the yard, which saves me work.  🤣  They do make the yard look unsightly, though.

Lenda 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know we have raccoons, but I haven't seen a coyote and I know we don't have armadillos here in Ohio.  The wild hogs can be problematic.  There were a lot of them where my parents lived and they were offering bounties for them.  I did see a coyote once from my friend's living room in Columbus, Ohio.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

There have been coyotes in NYC as well, in Central Park.

For those who think some of us are over-reacting to Covid restrictions:

1 in 4 people over 65 with Covid end up with long Covid

75% of Covid deaths are people over 75.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

We haven't seen armadillos in Quartzsite, but we have grey fox, bobcats, mountain lions (cougars), bighorn sheep, and of course coyotes.  The bobcats and coyotes will come into yards, especially now there is a severe drought and their natural food supply is low.  People have to be very careful when their pets are outside.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Very late post for me!  So sorry to read all the rather disturbing news of the day.  Not sure I will properly respond to all situations, but all are in my thoughts and prayers!

@RowsbyI am so sorry for your loss of your beloved feline!  Losing a pet is certainly hard for anyone, and you have certainly had a bad year.  Hugs to you.

@StLouisCruisers, your news is just the worst.  Covid---YUCK!  Hope you have a very mild case, and hope your jail cell doesn't drive you totally crazy!  Prayers for you and also for Buddy.  

@smitty34877, I forgot to add another comment to you yesterday after the gas leak problem.  When my DH was almost immobile, I went to the police department to alert them that I would need assistance if there ever was an evacuation in our neighborhood.  I certainly couldn't have done much for him by myself.  Glad the FD helped you, but make sure that you have a plan in place for unexpected events.  

Covid cases are rising in our county, which makes life scary.  I know that I am still suffering at points from the fatigue from way back in February.  I also have the craziest dreams, which I understand is a long lasting result of this awful virus.  Just got my latest shipment of the tests, but haven't needed any since the government started passing out tests.

Have a good rest of the evening, everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Joy, the armadillos are looking for bugs, maybe grub worms.  We have one that has been working on our yard for more than a month.  I just decided to look at it as they are aeriating the yard, which saves me work.  🤣  They do make the yard look unsightly, though.

Lenda 

Lenda, the armadillo are wreaking havoc on our yards. They are pulling up our drip tubes, burrowing under our air conditioning units and fences. I saw 2 adults and small juniors last week in our front yard. People say they are slow.. baloney! They took off for our neighbors yard in seconds. Our native Texan neighbors tell us the only way to get them gone are shovel or baseball bat.

• Like 11

I was told years ago that the armadillos are moving north at a rate of 5 miles a year.  At that point they had been seen just south of Interstate 20.  A year later they were digging up my cruise friends yard, who happen to live just  5 miles north of Interstate 20.  They had them trapped, and taken away.

When I got back from the vets, I was so tired, so I went to bed for a nap, slept for an hour and a half, had weird dreams, but dreams, and had Boba and Furnando both sleeping with me, it was so nice!  I felt better when i woke up, but within 30 minutes, I felt awful and my nose is running on one side of my face.   But I did work, and made it to ten, taking an hour off to watch Holey Moley, the worlds best sophomoric show on TV.  

Working normal hours tomorrow.

@StLouisCruisersI am so sorry that you are "positive"  and I hope that your DH will let you sleep when you  need to.  Sorry he is having a tough time without you.

c2e589b00a2de11eb8bd6868f59a7f9f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Julia, I watch on Netflix so I’m not sure about the app. Do you have Netflix?  Only problem is that it seems like the episodes are only available after the episodes have shown on TV. 

Netflix only has seasons 1-9. 😟

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Lenda, the armadillo are wreaking havoc on our yards. They are pulling up our drip tubes, burrowing under our air conditioning units and fences. I saw 2 adults and small juniors last week in our front yard. People say they are slow.. baloney! They took off for our neighbors yard in seconds. Our native Texan neighbors tell us the only way to get them gone are shovel or baseball bat.

Joy, about 20 years we had an infestation of armadillos.  And, yes they can cause a lot of problems in well maintained yards. 

It got so bad here people were shooting shooting them with shotguns and 22s., mostly at night.  That caused a few problems. Some were not good shots.  One even it our house outside of our bedroom with buckshot.  We heard the pellets hit, but never could find where it hit.  The worst was the wounded armadillo who crawled to the middle of a culvert and died.  It was a few weeks for the smell to disappear.

Remember this is Texas afterall with the added pleasure of living in the country.

Lenda

• Like 6

It's a very cold day,  wind feels like it has come directly from the South Pole.

Thanks for all the daily reports, used to be a blood donor, but had to stop as we had lived in England when  "mad cow"  disease was infecting the animals.  

We have visited Alofi Nuie  while cruising on the Maasdam.

@Rowsby so sorry that Casey has crossed the Rainbow bridge.

@marshhawk hope that the treatment helps Bobagingee.

@smitty34877 you have a very caring neighbour offering to help with Tana.

@kazu thanks for the photos of your lovely garden, yesterday I thought that your Hostas are looking superb. The Lily of the Valley is lovely.

@StLouisCruisers so sorry to hear that you have tested positive, hope you have a mild case and that your DH remains negative..  Sending  big hugs to you.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

So many here are facing such challenges that it hardly seems right to post about mundane issues and activities! I am generally in favor of bourbon, baths, and blood donations. I've given a lot of blood over the years but I'm a terrible donor, difficult to get blood from and likely to faint. As a result, whenever I donate blood, they suggest that I not do it any more -- then eight weeks later they are on the phone asking me to donate again, partly because my blood is CMV-negative.

The other day I received a check from the state tax department for $858, which I wasn't expecting. It's a rebate on property tax, and if I've ever received one before, it certainly wasn't as large as that.

If the olive doesn't make a martini a vegetable, what about a Bloody Mary, or Bloody Mark, or whatever? Tomato juice is almost ketchup, after all.

14472.gif.8e2395504d605e016360fa2f96f9a594.gif

• Like 18

@Rowsby so sorry to hear of the loss  of your kitty, Casey.

@smitty34877 glad you are safe, yikes! 
@StLouisCruisers sorry to hear you are ill,  if it’s any consolation, rest now, appears to help avoid long Covid.  Hope your DH stays negative.  Sorry to hear about Buddy.
@srdancer yes, the  waning of the vaccine effectiveness, new sub variants and high incidence of long Covid in even the vaccinated has me being ultra careful.  

We have had some very aggressive coyotes,  attacked a man and his two dogs,  so they’ve closed part of the park we live near for two weeks now to avoid those encounters.   

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3