The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 19th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning dailyites or fleet reporters.😀 Yesterday the temperature finally dropped to more normal here in the NC mountains. High was 74 and low 53 overnight. Will enjoy for a couple more days then back to the mid 80’s. Today is special for this dad as our blended family includes 3 children, 7 grandchildren, and 5 great grandchildren!

• Like 27

Happy Father’s and Juneteenth! I feel most of us Dad’s would have chosen a different meal to celebrate our day! Good grief!😩

Last night’s blockbuster was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs! It was enjoyed by all. The little darling is sleeping in late so it has been a very quiet and peaceful morning so far. It was brutally hot yesterday. The pool is like taking a bath!

Nothing special planned. Beer Butt chicken on the grill and we have invited our across the street neighbor couple to join us for dinner.

Thinking of you Dad and miss you and Mom very much. Someday!🙏

Enjoy your Sunday and thanks to all.

• Like 32

Good morning from central Texas.  We had a surprise passing thunderstorm yesterday which dumped almost 1/4 inch of rain in a very few minutes.  We'll gladly take any rain we can get.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the Dailyite fathers.  Juneteenth has been celebrated in Texas since June 19, 1865, when a Union general upon his arrival in Galveston read the order freeing the slaves in Texas.    A good day to kiss my sweetheart.

We'll definitely pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice. 

I'm not completely sure what we'll be eating today, but the plan is to order takeout sandwiches when we visit the DDs and their guys.  For several years, it seemed we would visit them on Mother's Day, so it's nice we are visiting on Father's Day this year.

@MISTER 67  Welcome home.  I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope both of you test negative tomorrow and Tuesday.

@Cat in my lap  i'm glad the reunion was nice.

@smitty34877  That's great news everyone tested negative.

We have been to Colombo, Sri Lamka once.  In 2000 on the P&O world cruise,  we docked in Colombo shortly after a bombing.  We could only walk around the dock area adjacent to the ship.  I have a few photos of town taken from the ship.

Colombo

P3100564.thumb.JPG.188fadfbce36cfe76ceff88babd20582.JPG

P3100565.thumb.JPG.c3fbbd575e9d373e4675f1ef7c801c82.JPG

The welcoming dancers.

P3100556.thumb.JPG.fcd679d7fed59f6e66b212a74aa85526.JPG

P3100557.thumb.JPG.c09ab1eba75a06b5bc11db76eaa6aa1f.JPG

There were a few vendors who were allowed to set up tables near the ship.

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

27 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I forgot to add “and your Sarah” to my well wishes today to you Graham @grapau27but I figure you knew who I was referring to in my first post. Whenever I would see one of those special Father’s Day cards in a card shop I would think that would be a very special person to step up and love that child like they were their own. Hope you get to see Sarah today!

Twin was telling me about Buddy’s spinal surgery.  Extensive tumors in the spine. Worked from T4 to T-10 placing 16 screws, I don’t know how many rods and placed donor femur bone between some vertebrae. They hope he can go to a rehab place by Monday. Either his wife Amy or one of her two sisters stays there with him at night. He has terrible panic attacks. One sister is an RN at the University of Missouri and the other an X-ray technician at a nearby hospital. Night before last the RN sister noticed the pain pump wasn’t working properly. Buddy actually said something to her, she checked and it had been set wrong so he wasn’t getting his pain killers. She notified the nurses and they admitted someone had done it incorrectly. Once the pain level gets too high they have a terrible time controlling it. Buddy is lucky to have so many willing to help. I hope this surgery will extend his life but also that he will be in less pain eventually.  

Back to being a lazy slug…uh I mean resting!  😴

Thank you for your kind words Sandi.

Sarah is at her best friends today but we had a nice chat this morning and we took her out for a meal last week.

Pauline and I went to South Shields beach overlooking the pier where the ships sail through to Newcastle cruise terminal.

It is currently 76°F and partly cloudy here.

Sending you both our best wishes for a negative test ASAP so you can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Prayers for Buddy's good health and recovery.

Graham.

1655641506988299806661644262156.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful fathers, grandfathers, stepfathers out there. I’ve been thinking about my father a lot lately. I gave my husband a shirt with a picture on it that was taken on his birthday this year. He has several shirts with pictures of his grandsons on them. This is the five grandsons all masked up. 
Yesterday 3 of my friends and I sat around the pool and talked for a few hours. It was very cold, we were all wearing jackets and we were the only ones there, but we had fun.

Stay safe out there everyone,

Carol

5 masked grandsons 2022.png

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 32

I thought I would add a photo of my father as I couldn't edit my original thread.

The photo was taken in England in 1944 where he was recovering from wounds he sustained off Utah Beach in Normandy exactly 78 years ago today when his LST hit a German mine and blew the ship in half. That was the ships 3rd trip from England to Normandy, first on D-Day June 6th, again on the 11th and the 3rd on the 19th.

The photo was taken after a ceremony when he was awarded the Purple Heart.

069.JPG

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 38

Forgot that I had this one photo of my father and big brother on my computer. The day was an outing for the three of us in 1967 to the local railroad museum. My brother's Firebird has many memories for me including learning how to drive a manual shift automobile.

939898252_PICT00182(2).thumb.JPG.91ac92e5973d76271a87131746cbe18c.JPG

• Like 35

4 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Forgot that I had this one photo of my father and big brother on my computer. The day was an outing for the three of us in 1967 to the local railroad museum. My brother's Firebird has many memories for me including learning how to drive a manual shift automobile.

Nice photo and a great car!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.

Happy Kissing Day and Juneteenth.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads on the Daily.

Sadly I don’t have a Father to miss or admire. He walked out when I was 18 months old and he was not in my life growing up.  

DH and I were not fortunate enough to have children of our own.  However, we were the guardians for his brother for the last 40 years of Eugene’s life and treated him as if he were his son.  

@StLouisCruisersI hope you get out of Covid Jail soon.  It seems like a long time.

Thank you for the lists to both Rich and Roy.  

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Prayers for those on the Cares list.  I can’t remember them all but i pray for all of you.

God Bless and Happy Sunday and Father’s Day.

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

1967 400?  I learned to drive a manual transmission on DH’s 1968 350 HO Firebird. BEFORE he set it up for racing. Here he is on race day complete with the tow bar attaching it to the Pontiac GTO we had. 
502962C4-3B65-4406-A7D5-FCBB41405554.thumb.jpeg.59a833dcfa2a6e3951ad25f3de5c1013.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, and a Happy Sunday to you all!

funny-cat-pictures-no-sunday-bothering.j

It's sunny, much cooler, temps at 70 , and while I had great plans to walk this morning, I am simply enjoying the morning.  Windows are open, the cats are happy, the coffee is good, and breakfast awaits.  And of course, it's a Formula 1 weekend!  

@StLouisCruisers Well tomorrow is your test day, and I hope that you are negative.  I salute you for your patience while all of this has been going on.  I guess your ship doesn't keep you on balconies in the event you throw yourself or your partner over the edge. But your "event" has given rise to the question, what you you have brought with you to make "jail" easier?  DH and I discussed this, so on our cruise in September. we are packing books we really want to read,  and several small jigsaw puzzles.  Maybe two decks of cards, and a game. Like trivia pursuit.  

@grapau27Thank you again for bringing us Father David.  And a lovely picture of the beach.

I have been telling DH all weekend how beautiful your fish and chips looked.  And I did some research on who serves them around here.

To all Fathers to humans or critters-Happy Fathers Day.  My dad and I had a great relationship in my early years and the last years of his life, but between my teen years and my 40's it was very shaky.  He passed away 25 years ago, and I miss his wit and wisdom every day.

2cdv41.jpg

After the race today, we will go grocery shopping.  DH and I are alternating work late days, so that someone will be able to fix dinner. every night except Thursday....still haven't worked out Thursday.

I hope you all have a wonderful safe and peaceful day!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there and to all of us missing our Dad's. My pictures today  are our morning view. This land was spotted by my dad in the early 1960s while deer hunting.  He and his buddy bought about 3/4 of a mile of lake frontage in 1963.  His vision and sacrifice made our family heritage possible on the lake.  Many thanks Dad!  Thinking of my late DHs son today. I am sure he is missing him a great deal. Me too. 

Have a nice day, thanks for the Daily and prayer for all in need. 🙏

P4H-59mNSWa6QR5H0CG5ew-1.jpg

IMG_7947.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

The Fleet Report and Daily... I like it!! 

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there. Good morning Dailyites. 

Prayers lifted to all our covid posters as well as their families.

Sandi, hoping the hours fly by to get to a negative test for you and DH. My heart is heavy for Buddy. Poor guy had to be in so much pain while that pump wasn't working properly. 

Yesterday we met friends for lunch and shopping. We were invited to neighbors for snacks and games last night. Has anyone played "pass the pigs"? It's a silly little game, but we all each won a game. The guys decided to sit outside.. Then Allen and I took Elvis for a little ride as the evening cooled down a bit.

Today we have a friend coming by for dinner. She lost her husband to covid..

A picture of my dad and sis:20171007_130409.thumb.jpg.4c9f8d52859effb8aab3692473e6b455.jpg

And dancing..

20171007_133156.thumb.jpg.0bed69de537ec0183e1fd4ad4a2e6692.jpg

The home we had him in had a party with great food and a band every August to thank the workers and families. Daddy's birthday was in August and he thought the party was for him.

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Father's Day to all people (both men and women) who take on the fathering role for children.  Happy Juneteenth to my friends in the US.  I'll definitely kiss DH with purpose today because it's Kissing Day - he gets kissed every day, but today will be special, he'll get a hug, too.  LOL

This will be a short post because Father's Day is traditionally the day we drive 1.5 hours north of the city to a little rural cemetery to do the annual clean-up.  We bring our weed eater, blower, tree trimmer and brooms and clean off the graves and tombstones when another fellow does the grass with a ride-on mower.  Over the years the group has grown smaller and smaller and this year we'll be lucky if there are 6 or 7 of us in attendence.  No matter, it's a time to reflect on the past and those who built the province for us.  

After the clean-up, we'll come home and instead of having today's chickpea mushroom burgers, I'll be doing the Dijon mustard salmon along with asparagus and coleslaw.  We'll be able to enjoy it out on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all they're having to endure.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when needed, get your boosters and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 37

Good Morning All,

And Happy Father’s Day!

We’re going to celebrate with a half pan of lasagna from our favorite restaurant and a cake I made yesterday. Several months ago many of you posted candidate recipes for a “Magnolia Cake” recipe I had lost. I wove several together and the cake is in the refrigerator, marinating. I’ll gather the recipes and put them together and post soon. 

We recently got a device to put on our water meter that uses the data from the meter and AI to determine how much water you are using by appliance, and indoor vs outdoor. It provides use on a timeline, which is helpful for us to plan watering schedules for the garden. The family joke currently is “ there better be a short spike ( gallon or so) of water immediately after each spike from a toilet flush.”  There’s an Away mode that alerts you to indoor usage ( in case of a leak or a burglar who washes their hands….) Anyway, in analyzing the data, DH noted a station on drippers was using enough to be large sprinklers. The station only runs one a week….. so something was leaking. He poked around for several hours, and discovered a broken sprinkler pipe ( likely damaged by tree roots and/ or the lawnmower.) So that’s fixed now, and the device has already paid for itself. And that’s before the AI has “learned/ matured”, as he correlated with our sprinkler schedule.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29

The main Juneteenth celebration in this area has always been on Saturday. It's mainly music and other performances, food, and dancing, but there is also a street fair. Sometimes I have worked at a booth representing an interfaith group. We also marked Juneteenth at the synagogue, with special music and talks both Friday evening and Saturday morning by a mixed-race Jewish anti-racism trainer, given remotely from her home in another city.

I would be pleased to have chickpea mushroom burgers today, but probably won't. The cocktail sounds strange to me. I haven't been to Sri Lanka; several ships are en route to places I've visited, but not there yet.

458677.gif.3db55a05852a879f4d9cff276a23c8d7.gif

• Like 30

Rain!!! We have RAIN!!!!

Yesterday afternoon the skies darkened, the wind came up. Then thunder, lightning, and a really heavy downpour which lasted about 15 minutes.  Power went off for a few minutes then was back up. It showered lightly overnight and right now we are having a slow, gentle rain which hopefully will soak in nicely. The next week or so we are projected to have showers off and on. We can certainly use it. I am assuming the shelter roof has survived the true test as I have not heard anything. I rushed the dog out early this morning before the steady rain arrived. He is very good about doing his business but slowed down to stare at two handsome bucks with nice racks who blocked our usual route. He stared and stared until I hustled him along. I could see the rain coming.

Susan

• Like 27

Good morning!  I really like the new thread title, Rich.   As the whole fleet is occupied now, it is nice to see where everyone is.  Happy Father's Day to all the fathers.

Well, I am feeling much better this morning, I think the cold is over, and I'm ready to live again.  It's just the start of the day here, so I hope my energy level stays high for at least a few hours!  DD is cooking tonight, planning skewers (chicken and veg.) on the barbie, so I will think about a Father's Day dessert.  I'll probably just get something out of the freezer...   Columbo, Sri Lanka is having hard times right now, I went there twice when DH was working there .  I swear, they are the worst drivers in the world, absolutely terrifying to be in a car with a driver, and I would never dream of trying to drive there myself.  But it's a good place to buy jewelry.  One time in the market a woman tried to sell me a small child.  And the second time I was there, in a hotel near the market, a bomb went off in the market and shook the hotel.  Fortunately, we were packing to leave....   Really weird, my return button is not working, so I can't make paragraphs.    I wonder if it CC or my computer.  I'll have to try to send someone an email...

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1