The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 17th, 2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Greetings, everyone!

we are having a total blast so far.  We were in boarding group 5 and were on the ship by 11:45.  We had lunch in the dining room, made updates to our dining reservations, and stopped by the Lido for peanut butter pie for Sue.    Tonight we had dinner in Sel de Mar.  It was excellent.  

@Crazy For Cats Happy Anniversary to you and Juan.  

@1ANGELCATSorry to read about the accident, but glad you are ok.

More later

Is it possible for you to start a separate thread for your cruise onboard the Rotterdam?  I'd love to follow along!  I don't always come on this thread but just happened across your posts today.  Glad you are having a good time so far; enjoy!

Linda R.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'd better get those compression socks fast since those drives are long and that car doesn't stop until it needs fuel!  Bad for legs!

15 years ago we drove two, 8 hour days to go to see my Dad, who was not very well and in the hospital.  We had done this drive every year, for many years, with our kids, and always drove it in one very long day, and because of the kids we had to stop fairly often. Doing it in 2 days was easy.  And we only stopped for gas.  A few days after our arrival, DH couldn't catch his breath.  On the 2nd visit to Emerg, where my Dad was, conveniently,  in the closest room to Emerg, DH was diagnosed with 2 blood clots in his lungs.  He was very lucky.  The doctor told us to never drive more than 2 hours.  Get out and walk around the car.  DH was in the hospital for 9 days, and when he was admitted, DD was transferred to a hospital on the other side of the city!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

Greetings on this sunny Monday, but very windy, strong gusts frequently.  Washed some of the cream coloured HAl tote bags that we used to be given, they dried very quickly in the wind.

Icecream day is most days here.

@Crazy For Cats Congratulations on your 18th Anniversary.

@kazu thank you for measuring the Monkshood, have never seen it grow so tall,  it must really like your garden.  Thank for sharing photos of your garden, hope the birds are OK.

@ottahand7 thank you for the photo of your beautiful Iris.

@smitty34877 sorry that Camilla's grandpa is in hospital with covid, I remember the photo you posted of the two of them.  Hope he will soon improve,so that he can go home.

@Cruzin Terri safe travels, thanks for reporting after your long drive today.

@Vict0riann what a relief that Pat's bag was located. 

@1ANGELCAT horrible damage to your DB's car, will the person responsible  be punished?

@Cruising-along thank you for the photos of your lovely garden. 

@bennybear thank you for your replies yesterday,   Thank you for sharing your photos of Shimizu. 

Best wishes to those on the Care list

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

51 minutes ago, Tbay said:

15 years ago we drove two, 8 hour days to go to see my Dad, who was not very well and in the hospital.  We had done this drive every year, for many years, with our kids, and always drove it in one very long day, and because of the kids we had to stop fairly often. Doing it in 2 days was easy.  And we only stopped for gas.  A few days after our arrival, DH couldn't catch his breath.  On the 2nd visit to Emerg, where my Dad was, conveniently,  in the closest room to Emerg, DH was diagnosed with 2 blood clots in his lungs.  He was very lucky.  The doctor told us to never drive more than 2 hours.  Get out and walk around the car.  DH was in the hospital for 9 days, and when he was admitted, DD was transferred to a hospital on the other side of the city!

I had a similar story.  I flew to Rome, got on a cruise for 22 days.  Leg was swollen and just ignored it.  When we got home I went to the Urgent Care and instead of doing an ultrasound they did a D-Dimer and misread the results. A few days later I was unable to catch my breath and ended up in the ER and subsequently admitted to the hospital with 2 clots in each lung due to a DVT in the left leg.  I always wear compression stockings since that time.  Whether driving or flying.  Not worth taking the chance.  Every doctor I saw who looked at the CT scan would just shake their head and say I was lucky to be alive.  Moral of the story — wear your compression stockings on long trips.  

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

Is it possible for you to start a separate thread for your cruise onboard the Rotterdam?  I'd love to follow along!  I don't always come on this thread but just happened across your posts today.  Glad you are having a good time so far; enjoy!

Linda R.

Debbie if you do post separately please let our Daily-ites know. Love to see you here with us. Xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@kazuJacqui, we have one garden fenced but the rest of the acreage would be a little pricy to enclose. I use my "deer spray" (in a spray bottle, eggs mixed with water and left to age in the refrig.) and just found a commercial brand that you sprinkle that I hope is working.  If they would just leave the lupine alone to grow a bit bigger I think they would be ok. Ah, nature! 🙁😁

• Like 10

Good Evening Dailyites, 

FIrst of all a great thank you to @kazu Jacqui for posting for me while we were on the Westerdam cruise. It was totally frustrating as I couldn't log in to Cruise Critic and I'd not had that problem before. 

As you may remember we had azipod issues and ended up not getting too close at all to Hubbard Glacier, arriving about 2 hours late to Sitka and then missed both Ketchikan and Victoria. We were given $100.00 each in nonrefundable onboard credit. DH and I were fine with everything. We were cruising and enjoying ourselves. Others were not happy and I heard that the Ask the Captain event got quite raucous with unhappy folks. I'm glad I wasn't there! It would have been nice if the $100.00 each was refundable but that's the way it goes. 

We got off the ship in Seattle at 9:20 AM, our bags were the only ones in the "pink" area so easy to identify (and they were all there), got a porter and, for the first time, there were long lines to clear customs. It took about 10 minutes or so. Got DH's scooter and walker returned to the Scootaround kiosk, got a wheelchair person to take him to the passenger pick-up area, and I rode the shuttle to the car park (at the Armory - great people). I was back to pick him up and we were on the road at 10:30 AM, took one quick stretch break on the way home and we were in the driveway at 12:01. I still have one suitcase to unpack but it's full of clean clothes so I can do that tomorrow. 

It was a good trip, even with the missed ports, and we'd get back on the Westerdam in a heartbeat. We didn't venture far, I didn't walk the promenade deck (for the first time ever) and we absolutely loved the quartet at the Lincoln Center Stage! 

Karen

• Like 21

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thought I would share what’s blooming now in NW Washington. 
I’ve had a lovely afternoon working in the garden. 

Your flowers and pictures are beautiful. As someone who doesn't enjoy weeding or working in a garden, I do enjoy the beauty of what grows in the Northwest. Here are a few pictures of wildflowers from my walk on the Iron Goat Trail this week:

1.jpg.89bac6f3b408e3dc22826d6458d42aee.jpg  2.jpg.46bb4a56fd62d23afd54c3446818d855.jpg  

3.jpg.3b4638d45e2ba85d8fd7c274f7695e82.jpg  4.jpg.701c04118a586fd081c162677be41a4a.jpg  

5.jpg.cfeb344383d78c4be7464ab2e5b09773.jpg  8.jpg.3df488bb928bae857c818d5705b55846.jpg  

12.jpg.090ac8bd439bbfa184191ab41d02dbd7.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruisermentioned her spare time being spent working on her ancestry, always an interesting occupation of an afternoon.  I recently tried starting a new photo book with the photos taken on our Island Princess cruise.  Unfortunately in the past two years they have changed up the process, graphics and anything else they could think in regards to photo book making at Shutterfly.  Nothing works as well as it used to, and they even removed some of the tools I used to use on every book, like a button to undo your last step, add a photo box to the layout, and even cut down on the layouts for the back cover.  I like the books to be consistent and I'm not sure it's possible now.  I stopped working on it right away and haven't gone back because it's going to be a chore now instead of fun.  Very disappointing!

Sandi,

Have you checked out Blurb? I’ve been using them for about 15 years. The product is really nice, and I believe they are not as pricey. I’ve made some pretty nice coffee table books of some of our trips, and magazines for shorter trips and events.

I used the magazine option when I shot pictures of our historical fashion shows, and several participants have bought copies. I just give them a private link and they can look or purchase at their discretion. ( I don’t mark anything up, so they just pay for printing-usually around $7-$9 plus postage.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Debbie if you do post separately please let our Daily-ites know. Love to see you here with us. Xx

I wasn’t planning on a separate thread because I would feel obligated to post everyday and more.  I will check in every so often, but probably not every day.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

If I get a chance, I will ask the Captain how things are going on Volendam.   Pardon choppy postings, half the time I can’t get on the internet, but things are going great otherwise.  Club orange is wonderful on the Pinnacle ships.  Food yummy, Tamarind tonight. 

it’s Monday morning in Alesund, Norway.  We took a ride on the HoHo, everything very quiet. There was a group of 10 or more passengers waiting to board the ship.  Evidently missed their flights.

did I tell you, Bettyann, the CD, said her luggage arrived on the ship three weeks after she did?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tbay said:

How awful for your DH!  When we drive to Cincinnati it's a little over 8 hours drive, and we have always driven until time for lunch and fill the tank at the same time, at about the 6 hour mark.  Then only 2 more hours until arrival.  DH would tear his hair out if I wanted to stop every 2 hours (he's that type A personality).  I ordered a batch of compression socks in wild colors and they are supposed to arrive Wednesday.  I got the 20-30 mmHg compression rating my dermatologist instructed me to.  I intend to wear them on our upcoming drive to Cincinnati to see DD.  After a few days there we will drive 250 miles further to see our son, then after that visit back south to Cincinnati for a couple days at DD's house so we can celebrate DH's birthday with family for a change.  Thanks for sharing your story, because it's a good lesson for many of us.

9 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I had a similar story.  I flew to Rome, got on a cruise for 22 days.  Leg was swollen and just ignored it.  When we got home I went to the Urgent Care and instead of doing an ultrasound they did a D-Dimer and misread the results. A few days later I was unable to catch my breath and ended up in the ER and subsequently admitted to the hospital with 2 clots in each lung due to a DVT in the left leg.  I always wear compression stockings since that time.  Whether driving or flying.  Not worth taking the chance.  Every doctor I saw who looked at the CT scan would just shake their head and say I was lucky to be alive.  Moral of the story — wear your compression stockings on long trips.  

Terri

And thanks for your story too Terri.  You are very lucky to be alive for sure!  I'll be wearing my stockings for sure.  And if my leg begins to ache I will make sure I get DH to pull over and let me walk around.  Don't want to take any chances.  I'm hoping my pain goes away with time like some of you here have mentioned after Covid.  

8 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good Evening Dailyites, 

FIrst of all a great thank you to @kazu Jacqui for posting for me while we were on the Westerdam cruise. It was totally frustrating as I couldn't log in to Cruise Critic and I'd not had that problem before. 

As you may remember we had azipod issues and ended up not getting too close at all to Hubbard Glacier, arriving about 2 hours late to Sitka and then missed both Ketchikan and Victoria. We were given $100.00 each in nonrefundable onboard credit. DH and I were fine with everything. We were cruising and enjoying ourselves. Others were not happy and I heard that the Ask the Captain event got quite raucous with unhappy folks. I'm glad I wasn't there! It would have been nice if the $100.00 each was refundable but that's the way it goes. 

We got off the ship in Seattle at 9:20 AM, our bags were the only ones in the "pink" area so easy to identify (and they were all there), got a porter and, for the first time, there were long lines to clear customs. It took about 10 minutes or so. Got DH's scooter and walker returned to the Scootaround kiosk, got a wheelchair person to take him to the passenger pick-up area, and I rode the shuttle to the car park (at the Armory - great people). I was back to pick him up and we were on the road at 10:30 AM, took one quick stretch break on the way home and we were in the driveway at 12:01. I still have one suitcase to unpack but it's full of clean clothes so I can do that tomorrow. 

It was a good trip, even with the missed ports, and we'd get back on the Westerdam in a heartbeat. We didn't venture far, I didn't walk the promenade deck (for the first time ever) and we absolutely loved the quartet at the Lincoln Center Stage! 

Karen

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise even with all the challenges involved.  Welcome home!

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Sandi,

Have you checked out Blurb? I’ve been using them for about 15 years. The product is really nice, and I believe they are not as pricey. I’ve made some pretty nice coffee table books of some of our trips, and magazines for shorter trips and events.

I used the magazine option when I shot pictures of our historical fashion shows, and several participants have bought copies. I just give them a private link and they can look or purchase at their discretion. ( I don’t mark anything up, so they just pay for printing-usually around $7-$9 plus postage.)

I haven't heard of that company before but will take a look today.  I wish I could find a way around the new improved methods on Shutterfly though!  I'd like all the books to look similar.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

9319E091-4222-4012-A5CB-FAA4617D25EA.thumb.jpeg.d4a4d26c648fcef41a6ec146cf1115bb.jpeg

Can’t beat this!!

Nope!  That looks pretty awesome.  I hope you gals are having a wonderful time so far.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

If I get a chance, I will ask the Captain how things are going on Volendam.   Pardon choppy postings, half the time I can’t get on the internet, but things are going great otherwise.  Club orange is wonderful on the Pinnacle ships.  Food yummy, Tamarind tonight. 

it’s Monday morning in Alesund, Norway.  We took a ride on the HoHo, everything very quiet. There was a group of 10 or more passengers waiting to board the ship.  Evidently missed their flights.

did I tell you, Bettyann, the CD, said her luggage arrived on the ship three weeks after she did?

Ann, enjoy your day in beautiful Alesund!  That is unbelievable that the CD didn't get her luggage for 3 weeks, especially in her position.  What in the world did she do for gala nights?  SMH!

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Ann, enjoy your day in beautiful Alesund!  That is unbelievable that the CD didn't get her luggage for 3 weeks, especially in her position.  What in the world did she do for gala nights?  SMH!

Haha!  She said she did a lot of shopping.  At least she was able to commiserate with the people at the M&G who didn’t have their luggage either.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1