The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 29th, 2022

richwmn

Hi everyone,

Now at home relaxing after a busy day with DH. He decided that today was the day to buy a suit for his son's wedding which is in NY in September. He has been trying to get by with sport jacket and khakis but finally realized that "cocktail attire" required a suit!! It was not the easiest shopping experience as he is somewhat difficult to fit and really didn't want to do it but we ended up getting a nice suit and at what I think was a reasonable price. The pants were ordered as they didn't have the color in his size. Should be here next week and then the suit will be altered. Glad that the decision was made. 

Thanks for all the photos of Hong Kong today, visited before the lease ran out but not by ship.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and stays healthy.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  Right now, we are both a little beyond frustrated.  It turns out the hospital in Dallas called Wednesday afternoon while we were in the dermatologist's office, when DH had the volume turned down on his phone.  On the way home, when I turned the volume back up, I checked and there were no messages or any indication that there was a missed call.  We only learned about the call this morning, when DH called the hospital to check on the progress of getting an appointment.  So we are now waiting for another call to set up the appointment with the neurology department.  

Well darn 😡. I feel your pain.  It seemed every time I was on the road to / from the hospital the hospital would call on Jose.  No messages ever and no way to know if it was a doctor, nurse, test result, whatever.  GRRRR.  I changed my voice mail on my phone to “IF this is the hospital please call (and my cell #) - anyone else I will call you back.”

I don’t know why they don’t leave messages - it’s so frustrating.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, XBGuy said:

@cat shepard -- Do you have a Costco card?  I buy a lot of "everyday drinkers" at Costco.

'

To be honest, Pinot Noir is not my favorite wine grape, but a lot of wine geeks keep insisting to me that it actually makes good wine.  So, I make sure I keep my hand in and try it fairly regularly.  Unfortunately, most of the PNs that I like are fairly spendy.

Anyway, back to Costco.  For the last few months my local Costco has been carrying the Acacia Carneros Pinot Noir for, get this, $9.97.  (Many Acacia wines are single-vineyard designated, which makes them more expensive, but this one is Carneros region designated.  Presumably, the grapes are sourced from multiple vineyards.)  I tried it on a whim, and, let me tell you, for $10, it is a darned good wine.

I respect your opinion and it happened I was going to our local Costco this afternoon to buy some lasagna.  I searched the wine section, but they didn't carry it.  I suspect that our Costco carries more Washington wines and yours more from California.

Ray

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I respect your opinion and it happened I was going to our local Costco this afternoon to buy some lasagna.  I searched the wine section, but they didn't carry it.  I suspect that our Costco carries more Washington wines and yours more from California.

Ray

Yeah, the inventory differs from store to store.  In some regards that is disappointing.  Interestingly, the only Washington wine I can ever recall seeing in my local Costco was one of their Kirkland brands--which, BTW, are consistently good.

Acacia is pretty widely distributed.  You may be able to find it at a different store, albeit, probably at a higher price.

Do they have Total Wine stores in your patch?  I see that some of their stores have it for $17,99.

FAAcaCDD7Bf0.jpg.e5acaeb5c03612c5e33365ea5f760bd5.jpg

Acacia has a second label called A by Acacia.  It is even less expensive, but I don't think it is nearly as good.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We had a beautiful day for touring the beautiful countryside

@aliaschief It seems you might be on an organized tour. If so, may I ask if it is a small group or private tour? And, the tour company details if you are so inclined to share (and if CC allows).

Thanks,

-Melisa 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tbay said:

@JazzyVHaven't read the daily today. so I don't know if you got any replies.

Try     www.parksleephotels.com    

There are several hotels listed where you can leave a car.

I looked into booking a stay and park hotel for February.  I had rental cars plus a hotel already booked.  The cars are very expensive nowadays.  I was able to chose the Hyatt near the PEV cruiseport, book the room and parking for 8 days for the same price as the original hotel I had booked.  Plus we can cancel the $$$$ rental cars and don't have to drive to the airport in Atlanta and back to pick them up and drop them off.  Saving over $330 for the cars, and I know our car gets excellent mileage so probably saving on gas too.  Just hope it will be safe sitting out in a parking lot for a week.  Thanks for everybody for bringing the topic up and offering suggestions, including @Cruzin Terri.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Our last full day on Maui. Tomorrow night we will be homeward bound to hot hot Texas. I won't be homesick until we are on the plane.

I'm choosing Roy's alternative for dinner. 

Sandi I hope your leg is healing and less painful.

Graham the memory garden looks beautiful. What was Pauline reading? Is there a different memory reading daily?

Jacqui I bet you are already in love with Shadow. I see she's already walking through your beautiful foliage. Lol. More pictures please!

Thank you for the beautiful pictures! 

Prayers, Blessings and Cheers to all. Xx

Joy, what an angel you are!  No there's no change in my leg.  As long as I'm moving it's okay, but sleeping and sitting a while causes it to hurt like heck.  I really don't know what's wrong with it.

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

0726220853c.thumb.jpg.1872264ff1617d50a6b7eca654fe213a.jpg

0727221118b_HDR_Edited.thumb.jpg.b696682698832e04bf66f690b2510e7f.jpg

You two are so adorable together!  Glad you've had a nice time over in Hawaii and hope your travels are safe.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Yeah, the inventory differs from store to store.  In some regards that is disappointing.  Interestingly, the only Washington wine I can ever recall seeing in my local Costco was one of their Kirkland brands--which, BTW, are consistently good.

Acacia is pretty widely distributed.  You may be able to find it at a different store, albeit, probably at a higher price.

Do they have Total Wine stores in your patch?  I see that some of their stores have it for $17,99.

FAAcaCDD7Bf0.jpg.e5acaeb5c03612c5e33365ea5f760bd5.jpg

Acacia has a second label called A by Acacia.  It is even less expensive, but I don't think it is nearly as good.

We have a Total Wine in our town, so I can look for it there.  Interesting that they don't sell Washington's Chateau St Michelle, our largest wine maker.  Their Riesling, at about $7 per bottle is the only white wine my DW consistently enjoys.

A few words on Hong Kong.  I have mixed emotion about returning there.  I have always felt safe anywhere there, much safer than walking around in Italy or Spain, for example.  Someone mentioned staying at the YMCA hotel.  We stayed a few days at the YWCA hotel in Kowloon and it was excellent and inexpensive.  My feeling is that while the government is becoming more oppressive, the merchants and people are the same and they have to deal with the government more than I do.  While the Jumbo floating restaurant was lost at sea, the original one, the TaiPak is still there, but not sure it is open for business.  We have done a lot of things there; once had our ballots sent the the U.S. Consulate there so we could vote when on a Grand Asia cruise on the Amsterdam.  Have also taken a boat to Macau and a train to Shenzen which is just across the border into China.  In other words, we have always enjoyed stopping at Hong Kong and hope we can do it again.

Ray

• Like 13

Good evening.

I don’t have a sunset tonight since it is very cloudy and there is nothing to see.  We’ll see what tomorrow night brings.

I am late to the game again.  

I am having a hard time typing.  My both hands are very painful and I am doing as little as possible.

I have an appointment at the Mayo on Thursday.  I need three injections but they will only do two on that day. I had to choose.  So I chose my right knee and left hand.  They are the most painful.  i am also getting a referral for the hand surgeon.  I cannot wait until after the holidays.  It is too painful

I am just hoping the recovery period is not too long. I can get the injection in the right hand three weeks later.

Prayers for all that need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising. 

Can’t type any more.

God Bless.
Terri

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for an excellent selection of Hong Kong photos Lenda.

Extremely interesting.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham,  Hong Kong is a fascinating place to visit, with much tomsee and do. 

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Well darn 😡. I feel your pain.  It seemed every time I was on the road to / from the hospital the hospital would call on Jose.  No messages ever and no way to know if it was a doctor, nurse, test result, whatever.  GRRRR.  I changed my voice mail on my phone to “IF this is the hospital please call (and my cell #) - anyone else I will call you back.”

I don’t know why they don’t leave messages - it’s so frustrating.

After reading your post, I'm beginning to wonder if some doctors and/or hospitals don't leave messages is because of patient privacy.  Even so, other doctors staff have left messages.  It took the doctor's office two weeks to send the referral, and the hospital a week to call and then not leave a message or call again.  NPH is a condition that should be addressed soon rather than later.

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We have a Total Wine in our town, so I can look for it there.  Interesting that they don't sell Washington's Chateau St Michelle, our largest wine maker.  Their Riesling, at about $7 per bottle is the only white wine my DW consistently enjoys.

A few words on Hong Kong.  I have mixed emotion about returning there.  I have always felt safe anywhere there, much safer than walking around in Italy or Spain, for example.  Someone mentioned staying at the YMCA hotel.  We stayed a few days at the YWCA hotel in Kowloon and it was excellent and inexpensive.  My feeling is that while the government is becoming more oppressive, the merchants and people are the same and they have to deal with the government more than I do.  While the Jumbo floating restaurant was lost at sea, the original one, the TaiPak is still there, but not sure it is open for business.  We have done a lot of things there; once had our ballots sent the the U.S. Consulate there so we could vote when on a Grand Asia cruise on the Amsterdam.  Have also taken a boat to Macau and a train to Shenzen which is just across the border into China.  In other words, we have always enjoyed stopping at Hong Kong and hope we can do it again.

Ray

Ray, first the Chateau St Michelle Riesling is my go-to whitenwine too.

We understand  anout the mixed emotions about returning to Hong Kong.  We also have always felt safe there and in other Chinese cities, even off the beaten path.  We have found the people to be very nice, friendly and helpful.  Although the crackdown in Hong Kong had begun before our visit in 2018, we didn't notice any difference.  Since then, with the protests, we're to have mixed emotions about returning.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening.

I don’t have a sunset tonight since it is very cloudy and there is nothing to see.  We’ll see what tomorrow night brings.

I am late to the game again.  

I am having a hard time typing.  My both hands are very painful and I am doing as little as possible.

I have an appointment at the Mayo on Thursday.  I need three injections but they will only do two on that day. I had to choose.  So I chose my right knee and left hand.  They are the most painful.  i am also getting a referral for the hand surgeon.  I cannot wait until after the holidays.  It is too painful

I am just hoping the recovery period is not too long. I can get the injection in the right hand three weeks later.

Prayers for all that need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising. 

Can’t type any more.

God Bless.
Terri

Terri, I hope you can get some relief for your hands and knee, and I hope you get the referral for the hand surgeon and get into see him soon.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the reports today.  We have been to Hong Kong, but not by ship, appreciate the photos that have been posted.

It's a cool cloudy grey Saturday.

@rafinmd you asked about covid, a few weeks ago the covid numbers rose quite rapidly, but are gradually dropping again.   Hope you are keeping well.

@JazzyV sorry about your knees.

@Cruzin Terri hope thst the injections on Thursday will give you relief from the pain, and that you do not have to wait too long to see the hand surgeon.

@kazu  it looks like Shadow is  settling in to her forever loving  home.

Now, I must  go and return some books to the neighbourhood Lilliput Library.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you, Graham,  Hong Kong is a fascinating place to visit, with much tomsee and do. 

After reading your post, I'm beginning to wonder if some doctors and/or hospitals don't leave messages is because of patient privacy.  Even so, other doctors staff have left messages.  It took the doctor's office two weeks to send the referral, and the hospital a week to call and then not leave a message or call again.  NPH is a condition that should be addressed soon rather than later.

Ray, first the Chateau St Michelle Riesling is my go-to whitenwine too.

We understand  anout the mixed emotions about returning to Hong Kong.  We also have always felt safe there and in other Chinese cities, even off the beaten path.  We have found the people to be very nice, friendly and helpful.  Although the crackdown in Hong Kong had begun before our visit in 2018, we didn't notice any difference.  Since then, with the protests, we're to have mixed emotions about returning.

Lenda 

Sorry you are having to deal with the waits, etc. but you are definitely correct on the privacy comment.  I’ve had to see a few new Drs. this month to address a hopefully minor issue and they’ve all had a form as part of the initial paperwork authorizing them which number to call, whether they can leave a message or text, etc.  Make sure you have that form on file next time you talk to their office.  And we got 1/10 inch rain today in Plano! First rain in 3 months! Baby steps……🤣

• Like 11

Good evening, 

It's been a rather warm day, 85+, in our neck of the woods. I'll be ready for Monday when the high is in the 70s! 

Our DS (who stays with his dad every Monday so I can go to water aerobics) turns 46 on Sunday and he requested my homemade lasagna (with cheesy bread) for dinner. So today I got the meat mixture done. Tomorrow, before the kitchen heats up (I hope) I'll get the pasta made, cooked and the lasagna put together. I make the noodles and bless DS and DDIL for getting the pasta attachment for the Kitchen Aid for me one Christmas. This recipe is called a BBQ lasagna, is super simple, and just uses what cheese you have in the fridge! It's a family favorite. 

BTW, the lemonade pie was a huge success yesterday and the mini-croissants worked great for sandwiches. 

Karen

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, Kurtybee123 said:

Sorry you are having to deal with the waits, etc. but you are definitely correct on the privacy comment.  I’ve had to see a few new Drs. this month to address a hopefully minor issue and they’ve all had a form as part of the initial paperwork authorizing them which number to call, whether they can leave a message or text, etc.  Make sure you have that form on file next time you talk to their office.  And we got 1/10 inch rain today in Plano! First rain in 3 months! Baby steps……🤣

That's interesting.  We've seen forms giving permission to share our information with each other, but not authorizing them to leave a message or text.  However, we need to get into to see this doctor before we can fill out any forms.

Lenda

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

That's interesting.  We've seen forms giving permission to share our information with each other, but not authorizing them to leave a message or text.  However, we need to get into to see this doctor before we can fill out any forms.

Lenda

My forms were all provided online and submitted before I saw anyone after I made my appointment.  Good luck - it’s all very frustrating and will test those with the best of patience, which I think you exude! 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

This morning at the Orthopedics office, since I hadn't been in a few years, I had to fill out a paper saying who they could talk to beside me, and also putting my cell and home phone numbers and checking yes or no as to whether they could leave a message on voicemail.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@aliaschief It seems you might be on an organized tour. If so, may I ask if it is a small group or private tour? And, the tour company details if you are so inclined to share (and if CC allows).

Thanks,

-Melisa 

Private. Just our guide/driver and the three of us. Wife’s twin sister is with us. I have a matched set! Second time we have used Best Scottish Tours and they are fantastic. Our guide is a walking Google. The hotels they pick are fantastic. Breakfast and dinner included.
We give this business four stars. Our guide has become a great friend of whom we keep in contact with year round.

Today after breakfast we are taking the ferry to the Island of Mull.

Life is very good.

Bruce

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Joy, what an angel you are!  No there's no change in my leg.  As long as I'm moving it's okay, but sleeping and sitting a while causes it to hurt like heck.  I really don't know what's wrong with it.

You two are so adorable together!  Glad you've had a nice time over in Hawaii and hope your travels are safe.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your leg Sandi.

My knee arthritis symptoms were similar.

An x-ray would confirm if it is arthritis.

It is raining and 54°F this morning.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1