The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 26th, 2022

richwmn

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Ann, after you read my post above I added this:

Edited to say:  I just read your account on the Covid thread and it sounds like they did treat you very well onboard.  I wonder if SIL and BIL caught Covid and just haven't let us know about it?  I doubt Discovery Princess would want them onboard now if they did.  You may have seen her onboard.  She wears her hair very long as she has her entire life.  It's dark brown shot through with grey strands.  She never goes to a salon for a haircut so I guess her DH whacks it off as even as he can.  So a woman our age with that hairstyle may have been noticed by you.  Just curious if you remember seeing her.

I don't recall seeing her, and actually, there were quite a few "women our age" with long hair on board.  I kind of envy them, I always wanted long hair, but my mother found it easier to look after my hair when it was short, and I have continued that! As a child,  I had a habit of going to sleep with chewing gum in my mouth and it would fall out and get stuck in my hair and my mother would have to cut out hunks of hair in the morning!

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I don't recall seeing her, and actually, there were quite a few "women our age" with long hair on board.  I kind of envy them, I always wanted long hair, but my mother found it easier to look after my hair when it was short, and I have continued that! As a child,  I had a habit of going to sleep with chewing gum in my mouth and it would fall out and get stuck in my hair and my mother would have to cut out hunks of hair in the morning!

Oh my gosh!  Do you know what works on removing gum from hair?  Peanut butter!  I've heard you just rub the gum with peanut butter, and it breaks it up enough to work it out of the hair.  May have to go several passes on it but better than cutting it out.  No I will not test that hack!

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my gosh!  Do you know what works on removing gum from hair?  Peanut butter!  I've heard you just rub the gum with peanut butter, and it breaks it up enough to work it out of the hair.  May have to go several passes on it but better than cutting it out.  No I will not test that hack!

Haha!  I don't do it any more...  (I don't remember peanut butter even existed when I was a child in the Philippines.)

• Like 13

I enjoyed a sunrise walk in Westport this morning. A friend also took a picture of our church in Skykomish this morning. You can see smoke rising on the hillside left of the church, but the sky doesn't look terrible to the east.

1477270266_day16fromMarilyn.thumb.jpg.e4f691342854bc18e34c3f604e12a3f3.jpg

982326565_day16westportsunrise.thumb.jpg.eedc984269a7739e441524adae942200.jpg

341515186_day16westportsunrise2.thumb.jpg.b9d12ab41cfe4e9c1a183cfd2a7996ce.jpg

325463788_day16westportsunrise3.thumb.jpg.f47a851168fce979e2886e956d2754b7.jpg

324258686_day16westportseagulls.thumb.PNG.b3e3569b53af43eb8eff31a1f19e47ee.PNG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Like most Canadians (looking at you @puppycanducruise😂) we learned French in school and my son is fully bilingual as is his wife, who is French.  My daughter’s forte is math so they balance each other out.  Also, like most Canadians, we speak Frenglish, which is a mixture of French and English in one sentence.  My husband has learned Frenglish, too, and has declared himself an honorary Canadian.  😂

Yes, I took French in school (and German and Latin) but I've forgotten most of it.  So I don't consider that I know enough of another language.  I guess I could have fibbed, but no one ever does that on the internet.😁

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

Good morning all!

I'll pass on the meal and drink but take the wine 😉  I know some French (4 years in school) but probably have forgotten as much as I learned.  When in France I do get to use it a bit.  Family is the most important thing in DH and my lives.  Have been to Crete but not Iraklion.  Thanks for all photos!

I'm thrilled to hear about Canada dropping cruise requirements, just in time for our cruise in 12 days.  Waiting for HAL to update too!  I happily deleted ArriveCan off my phone this morning. 

We will continue to self-isolate anyway, do not want to get sick before traveling.  I'm slowly working on getting the Christmas Village up -- the first of 3 tables is almost done.  Other than that I think it will be a day of yard work and generally being lazy.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28

Good morning and thanks all. Interesting recipes on the hibiscus, I’ve had  tea that beautiful colour.   Thankful for my High School French class where I met DH😍

@Vict0riann sorry to hear you and Pat caught Covid cruise,  I hope you recover quickly!  Is this your first bout?  

@StLouisCruisers and @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the photos of Heraklion/Iraklia and Knossos,   We love Crete and have spent nearly two months on that lovely island.  We’ve enjoyed the great museum in Heraklion but find the city less charming than others. 

Another interesting nearby place to visit is the ancient Malia Palace.  Dailyites would love the amphoras that hold 1000 litres of wine 🤷‍♀️😂🥂

image.thumb.jpeg.a5777e9603590b7abf1886f75e19611b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7c6e94cdf1c37200cd1fd8bb8e48da3c.jpeg

C2E23B71-0B94-49D7-B631-EE455B32E792.jpeg

C288703C-54CC-47FA-8E0B-22ED4E4F4410.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good Afternoon from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I only had Latin in school ( went to a Catholic school). My grandparents were from Ireland so I know all the swears in Gaelic! Does that make me bilingual?  DH speaks 4 languages fluently, French, German, Italian and Spanish. And of course English.  It was very useful to him in his careeer.  Often people were surprised that he understood what they were saying and shocked when he replied. 

@Cat in my lap i just heard they are starting evacuations in Tampa. May want to come up with an alternative plan.

@Vict0riann Hope you both feel better soon!

Luggage Forward is scheduled to pick my luggage up on Wednesday. Not sure that will happen. But just in case, I unpacked it all this AM and repacked with everything in plastic. Then put in trash bags inside the suitcases. Hopefully it will keep things dry. 

Sray safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I only had Latin in school ( went to a Catholic school). My grandparents were from Ireland so I know all the swears in Gaelic! Does that make me bilingual?  DH speaks 4 languages fluently, French, German, Italian and Spanish. And of course English.  It was very useful to him in his careeer.  Often people were surprised that he understood what they were saying and shocked when he replied. 

@Cat in my lap i just heard they are starting evacuations in Tampa. May want to come up with an alternative plan.

@Vict0riann Hope you both feel better soon!

Luggage Forward is scheduled to pick my luggage up on Wednesday. Not sure that will happen. But just in case, I unpacked it all this AM and repacked with everything in plastic. Then put in trash bags inside the suitcases. Hopefully it will keep things dry. 

Sray safe and enjoy today

Charlene

i assume you have luggage tags for either Fedex or UPS.  You might try calling Luggage Forward to see if you can drop it off at one of their pickup points.

Roy

• Like 16

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

All good days. I studied Italian and Latin in high school, and can read a bit of German (mainly recipes). Sadly I have no family. Good quote. I like the drink meal, pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Iraklion. Thanks for the photos.

Happy Jewish New Year to those celebrating!

I guess fall is here to stay, until we have Indian summer days. But I won't complain, with all the weather woes elsewhere. The news says flu cases are on the rise here; I don't usually get my flu shot until late October. But I'm still masking in stores, so that should help.

@Cruzin Terri Good luck with the move back to your house. I hope you get to go on your trip.

@kazu Definitely no more rain needed there.

@marshhawk I guess the dog owner got a dose of reality! I hope she doesn't abuse your services.

@HAL Sailer Praying for the best for DSIL. 

@ottahand7 Prayers for Frank as he recovers from his broken hip.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos of Heraklion. Prayers that DGD in FL stays safe.

@HAL4NOW I hope Skykomish is spared from the fire.

@*Miss G* Safe travels tomorrow.

@Vict0riann So sorry to hear you two picked up Covid on your cruise. I hope you feel better soon, especially Pat, who feels worse. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Best to DH on his neurosurgeon appointment today; I hope things progress in the process. Lovely photos.

@dfish Safe travels and we're hoping for good news on the house offer!

@bennybear Malia Palace looks interesting.

Prayers for the Care List. And all in the path of storms or fires. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I do try to learn a few words of the language where we will be visiting before each cruise.

When we were on a Kenyan safari, my DH was often greeted by employees with "Jambo, Mr. W___". After a few days, DH told me he wished they'd quit commenting on his girth. What???

Turned out he had not remembered the Swahili words we had practiced prior nor that "Jambo" is a greeting similar to "Hello". The employees were not saying  "JUMBO Mr. W___" as he was hearing it!!! 🤣

-Melisa

• Like 6
  • Haha 25

22 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

When we were on a Kenyan safari, my DH was often greeted by employees with "Jambo, Mr. W___". After a few days, DH told me he wished they'd quit commenting on his girth. What???

Turned out he had not remembered the Swahili words we had practiced prior nor that "Jambo" is a greeting similar to "Hello". The employees were not saying  "JUMBO Mr. W___" as he was hearing it!!! 🤣

-Melisa

Haha!  Reminds me of our time in Kenya, where we learned to say "Wapi Simba" when we entered the parks (where are the lions?).  We stopped that pretty quickly after the rangers gave us a long spiel about where the lions were - in Swahili!  The kids said - find a "pride of cars" and you'll find a pride of lions...

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

I really appreciate the Feet Report.  My mother is currently on the HAL Zaandam which is docked in Halifax, Novia Scotia.  They were not allowed off the ship today due to the power outages.  They are required to stay onboard.  I'm hoping to get an itinerary update from her once she knows what is happening.  The one port she was really looking forward to is tomorrow in Sydney.  I have a feeling she may be disappointed.  So hoping for the safety of all in that neck of the woods. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We both have Covid, but got home safe and sound and are isolating in the comfort of our own home.  It has been something between a cold and the 'flu for me, so not too bad, Pat is suffering, so I'll try to get him to stay in bed today.  I did post a little description of our experience on the NA on the "current" Covid thread.  We were treated very, very well on the NA, and I have no complaints about anything.  We will see how the rest goes, reimbursement, etc.  This morning the news is that Canada is dropping all restrictions, masks, etc., even ArriveCan - as of October 1, so we'll see how that goes!

My sister and I are in the same boat even though we were on different ships than you. We were fortunate to not come down with it until we were home so were able to get better at home. It is amazing how many are getting it even being as careful as possible. My sister is still pretty sick. I hope she turns the corner soon. Prayers for all who cruise to not get sick.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon, everyone!

I am safely home from our whirlwind house hunting trip.  Thank you to @0106 Tina for stepping in for me.  I do appreciate that.  I'm sorry for everyone experiencing health woes - I'll catch up tomorrow and be specific, but I wish everyone a speedy recovery.  @kazu Jacqui, I'm glad to hear you weathered the storm.  

We saw 5 different houses.   The two that were right in our price range were quickly eliminated.  One already had offers and would certainly go over asking and I wasn't willing to pay that much for it.  The furnace was quite old and would need replacing soon.  The windows were old and most likely a great source of heat loss. All the appliances were old and needed replacing.  The third bedroom had room for a crib and not much else.   No where to put guests. The fireplace didn't work and needed repairs. And the laundry was in the basement.  

The other one had a lovely yard, but the house was pretty much a dump.  The kitchen was a gut job, there was no dining area, you had to walk through the furnace room to get to the bathroom, one of the bedrooms was locked and we couldn't see it and the there was no bathroom upstairs where the other two bedrooms were.  It was quickly scratched off the list.  

Next we went to a nice ranch home.  The layout was kind of quirky.  The living room was really small and the dining room was huge.  The basement was mainly finished off and had a nice big family room.  Laundry was in the basement.  It has been on the market for a while now as it is over priced.  

Then we saw one that is again overpriced for location and what you get.  It is located near the highway and the noise from the highway was constant.  You wouldn't be able to open windows in the summer because of the noise. The kitchen was way too small.   It did have a main floor laundry, but the highway noise was a deal breaker.   You might as well sit in the median and watch the cars whizz by.

The last one was multi level, but stairs were limited in number at any one time.  There is plenty of space.  In fact Sue decided she would like to take the bottom floor for her bedroom and there is a space close by for her art studio.  There is also a bedroom down there for guests.  And, of course, the laundry is down there.  I'll just throw it down to Sue.  There was a nice large family room off the kitchen and the dining room was great with built ins.  This is the one we decided to make an offer for.  We are waiting to hear back.  I'm sure they'll counter with a higher price.   We're a little hesitant because there was an earlier offer and it was withdrawn after 9 days and the house came back on the market.  We are curious as to why.  

I'm hoping the negotiations on this house go a bit more quickly than the drag out rejection of the other house.  We shall see.  

Meanwhile, time to start getting ready for my cruise.   I timed this well, didn't I?

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

We are now in Houston, but scheduled to fly back to Tampa on Thursday- thinking of postponing flight?

best wishes to all

Not sure where you are in the Tampa area, but weather channel just announced Pinellas county is now under a mandatory evacuation starting tomorrow morning 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

@dfish Debbie I do hope your offer goes through. Though I would have concerns buying a home with stairs at my age.

Great to have you back.

I have them now and we just aren't finding a home without them that is acceptable.  They are either twice what we can afford or dumps that will take twice what we can afford to fix up.  We talked about the stairs and we figure we'll get a good 15 years in the house and then we can sell it and move to the senior living apartments in town.  Our brother lives there and we can try to get apartments on either side of him.  He'd love it.   

Ok, that last sentence was in jest. 

• Like 18
  • Haha 8

18 minutes ago, dfish said:

I have them now and we just aren't finding a home without them that is acceptable.  They are either twice what we can afford or dumps that will take twice what we can afford to fix up.  We talked about the stairs and we figure we'll get a good 15 years in the house and then we can sell it and move to the senior living apartments in town.  Our brother lives there and we can try to get apartments on either side of him.  He'd love it.   

Ok, that last sentence was in jest. 

Would a stair lift add to the years of enjoyment in the house?

• Like 13