Shorts in MDR

FLCruZar

Yes!   It has been some time since sailing on rc (most recently princess msc). Went to check out the dress code and it appears only bare feet and tank tops were not acceptable.  How did I miss this.  Makes this upcoming trip way easier to pack for! 😀

Edited by FLCruZar
  • Like 2

Yes it’s pretty much anything goes now like you say. I did a 3 night cruise on Liberty of the Seas a few weeks ago and noticed the guy sitting next to me had shorts and a t shirt on in the MDR. 

Would I do it? No. But if that’s what makes them happy I guess so be it. 

• Like 1

We saw a lot of people in shorts in the dining room including several on formal nights (we were seated near the entrance). I"m totally fine with whatever others choose to wear; it does not affect my choices, nor does it affect my cruise. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FLCruZar said:

Yes!   It has been some time since sailing on rc (most recently princess msc). Went to check out the dress code and it appears only bare feet and tank tops were not acceptable.  How did I miss this.  Makes this upcoming trip way easier to pack for! 😀

Reach out to the check-in police, chair hogs, and tip removers….better chance of getting the correct answer on wearing shorts in those threads.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

I’m surprised too …. that he just didn’t say ‘mind your own business’.

As I said we talk, as in still talk. Not a stranger. And he didnt mind.

Hes boarding allure today and its unusually so I'm jealous, though one of my b2b weeks in dec matches his. I'm sure we will talk face to face again. 

If that's how you answer people lol.  Each to his own. 

While, I understand the idea that people should be able to dress down, I personally prefer that the evening meal should be without the shorts and t-shirts.   We live in South Georgia and find that in most restaurants you can dress that way, even the top ones, but they usually keep the AC so  cold, that we would be freezing wearing shorts and t-shirts.

I regularly wear dressier shorts (ie no gym or, for me, even plain khaki shorts) and a collared shirt to all restaurants and I’ve never felt out of place or underdressed.  I’ve seen people wearing mostly gym-level attire and they look out of place but still allowed.  

I will say I once just stopped by to check a dining time after the pool on my way to my room and after they answered me I was bluntly told that swimwear would not be allowed (they were not even open for a meal when I stopped by)!  So there are some limits, lol.  I was mildly offended to think that they believe I would wear damp swim clothes to the MDR but I bet some people would.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, HSDerm348 said:

I regularly wear dressier shorts (ie no gym or, for me, even plain khaki shorts) and a collared shirt to all restaurants and I’ve never felt out of place or underdressed.  I’ve seen people wearing mostly gym-level attire and they look out of place but still allowed.  

I will say I once just stopped by to check a dining time after the pool on my way to my room and after they answered me I was bluntly told that swimwear would not be allowed (they were not even open for a meal when I stopped by)!  So there are some limits, lol.  I was mildly offended to think that they believe I would wear damp swim clothes to the MDR but I bet some people would.

Shorts are shorts. Call them whatever you want but as long as it fits your interpretation of what is out of place.  As they should have. More staff at the entrance to the MDR need to grow bigger stones and enforce or at least advise people of the published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Shorts are shorts. Call them whatever you want but as long as it fits your interpretation of what is out of place.  As they should have. More staff at the entrance to the MDR need to grow bigger stones and enforce or at least advise people of the published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. 

Not going to happen, for one simple reason; this is NOT what the majority of their paying customers want. The majority want a more relaxed experience; especially on the standard 7/8 day Caribbean itinerary

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

May I please lobby for an eye rolling response icon 🙄 in addition to “like” and “thank you” and LOL - I REALLY NEED ONE. And maybe one of those green ones indicating an illness reaction too. 🤢 Thank you for your consideration!

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a restaurant that I often dined in on land where on a Saturday night you can find men dressed in suits sitting at a table next to guys in shorts.I posted this on another thread .One of the regulars posted that she was going to be in the area and was going to check it out .She dd and was amazed.

1 minute ago, SG65CB said:

Wear whatever you would wear to a white-tablecloth restaurant at home. It's nice to dress properly and show respect for the location and occasion. 

Dinner on vacation on a ship is the location and occasion.   Sounds like this affirms that shorts are just fine. I'm sure the dining room has a thin skin and won't hold a grudge.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 4