The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 6th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Looking at the forecast for Fort Lauderdale this Friday and Saturday, I see a 40% chance of rain Saturday.  That's a bummer!  After seeing the rainy sailaway for some of the ships yesterday I was praying for a nice sunny day for our Saturday sailaway.  However, I'm sure the weather forecast will change 329 times between now and then so I guess I'll just wait and see.🌦️

DD informs me the next holiday she will create on her Celebration tree will be St. Patrick's Day.  I was thinking it would be Valentine's Day but she's been very busy since her foot surgery, her teaching job with some pretty raucous students, and her second job creating beautiful crafts to sell.  People see the items on Facebook and orders come in like crazy. 

So in honor of Valentine's Day I will post a photo of February 2022's Celebration tree for your viewing pleasure.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJDrilQfQXj6Mywu9zxSxgWV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1645967705

You're welcome!!  😇

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

This is one of my favorite quotes because reading is essential for me too.  A bit of context, Scout enjoyed reading with her father Atticus every night.  On her first day of school her teacher told her to stop reading with her father, she needed to learn the “right” way to read.  Scout realized that how much she loved reading, it was necessary, like breathing.

The seas have calmed a bit.  I will celebrate chopstick day with dinner at Tamarind.  (I’ve posting a few comments about the cruise on the Rotterdam thread “Reporting from the Rotterdam 1/14-2/25)

Looking forward to all the comments and pictures of Zeebrugge, Bruges, Belgium; we will be visiting in October prior to our transatlantic.  

Thank to all who post on this thread.  Positive thoughts to all on the cares list.  Cheers to all who are celebrating.

A tour to Brugge is well worth it but you get dropped off about 800 metres away from the centre.

Our P&O and RCL ship shuttles drop us off at the lovely coastal town of Blankenburg.

The train station is about 200 metres from the shuttle stop and you can get trains to Brugge etc.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Looking at the forecast for Fort Lauderdale this Friday and Saturday, I see a 40% chance of rain Saturday.  That's a bummer!  After seeing the rainy sailaway for some of the ships yesterday I was praying for a nice sunny day for our Saturday sailaway.  However, I'm sure the weather forecast will change 329 times between now and then so I guess I'll just wait and see.🌦️

DD informs me the next holiday she will create on her Celebration tree will be St. Patrick's Day.  I was thinking it would be Valentine's Day but she's been very busy since her foot surgery, her teaching job with some pretty raucous students, and her second job creating beautiful crafts to sell.  People see the items on Facebook and orders come in like crazy. 

So in honor of Valentine's Day I will post a photo of February 2022's Celebration tree for your viewing pleasure.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJDrilQfQXj6Mywu9zxSxgWV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1645967705

You're welcome!!  😇

Looks amazing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A tour to Brugge is well worth it but you get dropped off about 800 metres away from the centre.

Our P&O and RCL ship shuttles drop us off at the lovely coastal town of Blankenburg.

The train station is about 200 metres from the shuttle stop and you can get trains to Brugge etc.

Graham.

That's exaclty what we did in 2019.  The trains are very nice inside and out.

• Like 16

Good morning all,

I made it back from my Disney cruise. I think they pipe energy into the ship. I describe it as a cruise on steroids. I have to say the food is very good. The buffet is excellent. I guess they need to keep the parents happy. 

I will join the others who have tripped and fallen the past two weeks. My grandson cut me off with his Spider-Man suitcase and I flew over it landing on the airport floor. Just a little stiff this morning otherwise ok. The other casualty of the trip was my iPad. The hotel said they will mail It if they find it. I am not holding my breath. I will buy a new one before my surgery Thursday. Typing on my phone is very frustrating. 

Prayers to all. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

56 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You're welcome!!  😇

I hope the weather is lovely for you on Friday/Saturday for your sail away Sandi.

Extra wishes for you both to have a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning all,

I made it back from my Disney cruise. I think they pipe energy into the ship. I describe it as a cruise on steroids. I have to say the food is very good. The buffet is excellent. I guess they need to keep the parents happy. 

I will join the others who have tripped and fallen the past two weeks. My grandson cut me off with his Spider-Man suitcase and I flew over it landing on the airport floor. Just a little stiff this morning otherwise ok. The other casualty of the trip was my iPad. The hotel said they will mail It if they find it. I am not holding my breath. I will buy a new one before my surgery Thursday. Typing on my phone is very frustrating. 

Prayers to all. 

Prayers 🙏 your okay after your fall and your iPad turns up.

Thank you for your report on the Disney ship.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like frozen yogurt, not lame ducks, and I haven't mastered chopsticks. Good quote. The meal sounds good. I make a taco soup from the Skinnytaste website. Pass on the drink. Yes to the wine.

I've been to Bruges, but not on a cruise, and pre-digital era. I became a fan of Belgian beer and chocolate!

It's 35F and cloudy, with a high of 40 expected. Then even warmer tomorrow. I may run a couple of errands shortly. USPS shows my passport out for delivery! A busy week with appointments - Cardiology, Rheumatology and GI.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting the Fleet Report/Daily today, and our lists. Nice Bruge pictures. Thanks for sharing DD's Valentine's tree from last year.

@Seasick Sailor Sorry you're still hurting and good that you're getting seen about it. Was there a shortage of staff at the pub? That's a long time to wait for a meal.

@ottahand7 I hope you can get back into your cabin soon. Good to hear the sea is calmer.

@kochleffel Welcome home.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes today. I'm keeping your DB in my prayers for his surgery today.

@rafinmd Roy, it's good to hear that you slept better; hopefully that helps you regain strength.

@cruising sister Sorry you fell too! I'm glad you're ok. Sorry to hear about the iPad as well. Prayers for a smooth surgery on Thursday.

Prayers for the Care List, and the victims of the earthquake. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone and be careful! I make myself carry my cell phone when I go down to the basement, just in case (even though there's a phone down there).

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Vanessa @JazzyVgood idea to have your phone with you when going to the basement.  None of us want to be the next one on the fall down list!  By the way, if you have any questions about the Care and Celebration list posting, just email me at my screen name @ yahoo dot com.

Roy, wonderful to hear you got more sleep last night.  Are you cooking for yourself?

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning all,

Prayers to all. 

Oh good heavens, another tumble.  Walking around people pulling luggage is so dangerous.  I imagine people fall every day at the airports.  I've almost fallen over DH's carry on myself once or twice.  Thank goodness you are only stiff and not injured from your fall.  As for the Disney cruise, I had the best pork roast dinner ever on our first Disney cruise.  I'll never forget the Animator's Palate dining experience!  Amazing!

Good luck with your surgery Thursday.  

• Like 17

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday.  I haven’t had frozen yogurt in years and use chopsticks when I eat Asian food. I had to learn how to use them really fast when I was invited to a Chinese wedding in San Francisco back in 1973. I’ll pass on the meal and wine and drink. 

Yesterday we went to the movies, another retro movie, Pillow Talk. I just love seeing the old ones on the big screen and they are only $5 too. It’s really nice having a movie theater that has recliner chairs so close to us. Next week is Titanic, it’s the 25th anniversary and has been remastered. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, I hope nothing is broken and you start to have less pain soon. 

From the Care list:

RIP Hal Sailer’s DSIL 2/3/23

RIP Cat Shepard’s nephew 2/4/23

RIP Bennybear’s aunt 2/5/23

Condolences to @HAL Sailer, @cat shepard and @bennybear

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Cooler (or maybe colder) this morning. Temps will only get into mid-30's but they have taken the snow out of the forecast. Tonight, back down into the single digits. The soup sounds wonderful, I will have to give it a try.

Bandit seems to have escaped injury after the attack. He is moving fine and place over his eye looks ok.. just a bit scabby. But I notice neither he nor Monty want to walk in that direction which is too bad because due to the snow, it is the only way we can go. He seemed a bit nervous this morning and Monty did his usual lag-along.

Prayers to all that healing goes well and that we can all keep our feet under us. I try to be really careful when walking the dogs.

Susan

• Like 22

I went back to bed and did sleep for about an hour.  I don't feel any better for it.  But, I am forcing myself forward.  I went to my exercise class despite not wanting to expend energy.  It was good for me and it felt good to get outside even though it is cold out.  

DB is in recovery now.  Surgery went well.  I'll head over this afternoon sometime when he is settled in a room.  

@rafinmd Glad to hear you slept better.  Sleep is healing, so sleep all you want.

@cruising sister Oh, my on the tumble in the airport.  Not only is it painful, but so embarrassing!

@StLouisCruisers Excellent advice that those of us who live alone should carry our phones with us at all times, but especially when going up or down stairs.  Last year for my birthday I bought myself an Apple Watch because I can call 911 from it.  If my phone flies out of my hand, I can still summon help.  

@Seasick Sailor I am anxious to hear the results of your clinic visit.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

I went back to bed and did sleep for about an hour.  I don't feel any better for it.  But, I am forcing myself forward.  I went to my exercise class despite not wanting to expend energy.  It was good for me and it felt good to get outside even though it is cold out.  

DB is in recovery now.  Surgery went well.  I'll head over this afternoon sometime when he is settled in a room.  

@rafinmd Glad to hear you slept better.  Sleep is healing, so sleep all you want.

@cruising sister Oh, my on the tumble in the airport.  Not only is it painful, but so embarrassing!

@StLouisCruisers Excellent advice that those of us who live alone should carry our phones with us at all times, but especially when going up or down stairs.  Last year for my birthday I bought myself an Apple Watch because I can call 911 from it.  If my phone flies out of my hand, I can still summon help.  

@Seasick Sailor I am anxious to hear the results of your clinic visit.  

Debbie, good to hear your DB is in recovery and everything went well.  Hope he heals quickly and is a "good patient".  LOL

Vanessa @JazzyVwas the one who first mentioned taking the phone with her to the basement.  I concur with that idea, and your Apple Watch is a great idea, too.  I don't have one but know a lot of people who do.

Hoping to hear from Joy @Seasick Sailor soon.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dfish said:

Debbie, I wear an Apple Watch too. Sometimes when I accidentally bang my hand against something, it asks me if I've fallen! I have to touch it and say no, I'm fine. So that's an added benefit. My phone in the basement is attached to the wall, so if I couldn't get to it, the watch or cellphone would help out.

• Like 18

Crazy Night-i had a hard time falling asleep so didn’t get out of bed until 9:30, almost unheard of for me. 

i too have an Apple Watch and it will call 911 all by itself if you fall and don’t answer the prompts. I fell off my bike on the trail last summer and right away got a tap on the wrist. I was ok, especially because I was wearing my helmet. Had I not been wearing a Helmet I would have had a concussion that’s how hard the Helmet bounced off the road. I hit a bollard with my handlebars going thru a trail entrance.

i made cabbage soup yesterday, vegetarian with a little bit of heat. Was great for lunch today, and will be tomorrow, too.

prayers for all that need them. Will cheer those celebrating later this afternoon at Happy Hour!

• Like 22

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You're welcome!!  😇

What is her FB site so we can start ordering?

• Like 7

A late good morning from a cloudy, humid and windy central Texas.  It is currently 65F and supposedly heading to 76F.  Our rain returns tomorrow through Wednesday.

It has been several years since we've had frozen yogurt.  I'm not sure about celebrating lame ducks, and neither of us are very good with chopsticks.  

Today's quote is very true for me, since I love to read, too.

The taco soup sounds good, but there are pork chops thawed in the refrigerator for tonight.  I'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

We have been to Zeebrugge three times on BHBs and to Bruges twice.  Once we did a tour to Ghent, and we discovered we like Bruges better.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm sorry you're having such sharp pains in your side.  I hope the x-ray reveals the cause, and it's not a cracked or broken rib.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry about your orange shirt.  You might ask your cabin steward to check with the laundry.

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I know we are all anxious to learn how @Scrapnana Kathi is doing.  I noticed in the past year, except for starting the sail away threads, she only posted when she was on a cruise.  I hope she is doing well and getting treatment.

@ger_77  Gerry, I agree frozen yogurt will do in a pinch, but ice cream is much better.  🍨 

@rafinmd Roy, I'm glad you slept better last night.  Keep resting and not overdoing, Healing will take time, and patience is necessary at times like these.

@cruising sister  Ouch!  I'm sorry about your spill in the airport, and that you are only a little stiff this morning.  I hope the hotel finds the iPad, but I think you're smart to get another one now.

@durangoscots  Susan, I'm happy Bandit escaped serious injury from the dog attack.  I can understand why Bandit and Monty don't want to walk near the scene of the attack, and I bet you really don't want to go that way either.

@dfish  Debbie, that is good news that DB's surgery went well and he is in recovery.  Maybe, he'll surprise you and be a model patient.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

We've been to Zeebrugge three times, once on Noordam III and twice on the Prinsendam.   Twice we took the train to Bruges and once we did a tour to Ghent.  

These are pictures from our two times in Bruges.  In 2004, in addition to walking around Bruges, we also took a boat ride on the canals.  Bruges was quite a bit more crowded on June 2004, than it was in September 2016.  These pictures are a combination of both visits.

A couple of pictures of Zeebrugge on the way to the train station.

IMG_3579.thumb.JPG.fcc7d374b9c4c242280f2007ac6daf16.JPG

IMG_3581.thumb.JPG.d2ec4beffece21f2a7664d83f126a308.JPG

In 2016, we took the train from Blankenberge.  This picture was taken from the train station looking toward the church were the shuttle dropped us.

DSC06872.thumb.JPG.86830189ad742f461ddaca7b62ba35a0.JPG

In 2016 on our walk from the train station to the walled part of Bruges, we found a smaller gate that lead us through a part of Bruges we'd not seen in 2004. 

DSC06877.thumb.JPG.55186bfdb01159cea6f093d6770e0014.JPG

DSC06881.thumb.JPG.016d76936f4abadbfddf6f67ff40e993.JPG

An open area on the way to the main plaza.

IMG_3582.thumb.JPG.2ec85c95c654f32e08576b5786469672.JPG

The main plaza was not wall to wall tourists.

IMG_3587.thumb.JPG.247beb191ea7dc99c6b75c786155c482.JPG

DSC06900.thumb.JPG.964dbe3ad0ea9e6ce6ffc9ddcd387ba8.JPG

IMG_3595.thumb.JPG.79a05cbb3e578910888ff7f8de9db665.JPG

IMG_3597.thumb.JPG.695eac8695e41af76814eb0024ac6895.JPG

We took a ho-ho tour that year, and saw some of town outside the walls including this windmill.

IMG_3592.thumb.JPG.8714ba146e1adf169ffa95b0ed869398.JPG

Different views of Bruges from a canal boat we took in 2004..

IMG_3598.thumb.JPG.63b07f5f7665db3f7f6212fd9f1b8c1a.JPG

IMG_3602.thumb.JPG.e3b729f7465e8ee4bc968a182f01a38e.JPG

IMG_3603.thumb.JPG.70e96588eefc57c79949e6a787dfcd22.JPG

IMG_3608.thumb.JPG.5391584dd4057aec9c06017132adf9eb.JPG

IMG_3617.thumb.JPG.30c91adb0befea85538f34834639562d.JPG

We came across this area on the way back to the train station.

IMG_3619.thumb.JPG.faf6c8257cf5157adb03f4792c39b67a.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

In 2011 on the Prinsendam, we took a tour to Ghent.  I'm glad we got to see the town, but it is not as picturesque as Bruges.  We were there on a Sunday, and there were not many shops open, so we had more free time to wander around the older part of town than we needed.  The tour included a boat ride on the canal that goes from Ghent to the Scheldt River.

These are a few of the pictures from the boat ride. 

P1020350.thumb.JPG.b1161706b8298178dd6104f0b6f65435.JPG

P1020351.thumb.JPG.033dbf0ad1a7399d773fabfdcd6d2539.JPG

P1020368.thumb.JPG.fdef1056c574f5c94f6cb24040a89a33.JPG

P1020382.thumb.JPG.1335037b515b92941b8aaeb529d05682.JPG

P1020384.thumb.JPG.67622f06d75d489aa9c5918ee49d769d.JPG

An old warehouse turned into what looks like a beer garden.

P1020370.thumb.JPG.b1721227bafbf1c3c039ef7372919580.JPG

The area around the main square and the church.

P1020371.thumb.JPG.41b1849e3074ee513694ea7a8ef64b6f.JPG

P1020377.thumb.JPG.00c5f9cf4f7460e59bceb068c9199c2e.JPG

P1020380.thumb.JPG.6c83462efb389d7d8d8cbbb409961cf1.JPG

P1020375.thumb.JPG.bac10e3b86bcd64813ea64d69576ecde.JPG

P1020385.thumb.JPG.9740a872153b47b2607d9118246bd7de.JPG

I don't think the weather helped with our impression of Ghent.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1