The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 7th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday. I like Italian Wedding soup and actually have a jar of it from TJ’s, it’s waiting in the cupboard for a rainy day. 

Not much happening here. Yesterday I decided to add another day pre cruise so now I need to change my flight to the arrive the day before. 

Prayers for all and especially our Care List. 

Have a great day!

• Like 20

Good morning all!

I slept better last night (meaning that I was able to get back to sleep quickly after waking up a lot during the night).  Any night I'm not awake 1-3 hours is a good night!  In my case a full moon has nothing to do with it, since it happens all the time. No stress right now either, just the way I am.  🤷‍♀️

I try to send out birthday cards and always send Christmas cards -- today I should buy some Valentine cards for the grandsons.  Always wave to my neighbors (with my whole hand) 😅 and other than Nutcracker Suite I've never been to a ballet.  Will pass on the drink and red wine, the first recipe looks good.  In fact I may have some in the freezer....better check!  Never have been to this port.

Today I need to get my hair cut, and pick up those cards and a few other things.  Yes Debbie @dfishthe painting upstairs is done.  I'm taking a couple days off before doing the entryway downstairs.  Wouldn't you know, we bought a gallon of paint and I didn't need it...I'm sure I'll find something else that needs painting lol.

I woke up to the good news that DD's family has been accepted to adopt the kitten siblings and they can get them this week. 🙂  Of course I'll get down there asap to meet them!  Also they will be staying with us for about 10 days total the end of this month while DD and family are away.  She didn't have to twist my arm....😄

@Cruzin TerriBon Voyage!!

Roy @rafinmdI'm glad you slept well last night.  Sleep is the best healer.

Gerry @ger_77what a thoughtful gesture for your friend who lost her husband and is now going through radiation treatments.

Debbie @dfishI hope the appointment with the surgeon goes well today.

@tupper10Prayers that the antibiotics and drain work.

So sad about the death and wounding of the police officers.  And sad that it's happening more and more.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

We are enjoying our typical cool, wet Winter weather here.  We once stopped at Nosy Be, but I have no pictures.  A few words about Nosy Be.  Nosy Be Island is redundant, as Nosy means island in their language.  There wasn't much to recommend the port.  The main street went up a hill with mostly bars and places to eat.  I bought a bottle of local rum there for about $1.

There is jungle outside of town supposedly with sloths in the trees.  The beach seemed to be mud instead of sand.  After reading on wikipedia how the locals treated some French tourists in 2013, I wouldn't recommend staying there.

Ray

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

@rafinmd I pray you continue to make improvement and are comfortable at home. 

@St 4711@StLouisCruisersthanks for starting us off each day. Late start for me today. Everything is messed up living like a vagabond. I bring a suitcase up to our cabin but I always forget something. Today it was my iPod charger. Then they pulled the rug from under us moving dressy night to tonight after we thought we evaded it 2 nights ago. I am going in jeans with no jewelry.  I hope we can return home tomorrow.  Expected 80s tomorrow. My sunrise this morning sadly through a clouded window. 

IMG_20230207_055838766_HDR.jpg

• Like 23

Good Afternoon, thank you for the daily fleet report.  I do like today’s meal suggestion although I don’t have it very often.  I took the afternoon off from work for my six month dental checkup, all was good.  Hoping everyone has a good rest of the day.

image.thumb.png.d1cbe49f96f40466fb15b66b8fa9f8fc.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 12

Good afternoon!

My DB is safely home from the hospital.  No problems transporting him and he got to his apartment with no issue.  I set him up with a couple ice bags, so he should be good to go for a while.  

Things went well at the surgeon's office.  He did an ultrasound but couldn't see the parathyroids.  He said that isn't unusual.  So, we're doing another scan in two weeks.  Surgery is tentatively set for March 8th.  During the ultrasound he did find a nodule on the thyroid, but it is very small and he said they will just monitor it for now.  He may biopsy it when he removes the offending parathyroid glands.  He said it is nothing to worry about.  I forgot to tell him he couldn't find anything new until we resolved the issues I have now.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

DH is back home, I'm a terrible nurse, and he's an even worse patient.  His eye area is starting to turn a very dark bruise, and his face is beginning to swell.  All of this was to be expected ( I hope he read the material they gave him pre surgery.)  They placed an ice pack on him in post op, and he said his eye really hurt.  And he yanked the ice pack off!  They gave him some of those "good" drugs, he wanted chick fil A and we did the drive through and came home.  BUT because he yanked that ice pack off himself, his eye started bleeding, again, something they said may happen, but really, not because you rip off an ice pack.  

Dinner tonight is a patty melt.  I do believe it was @aliaschief that got me hooked on Tillanook dairy products, so sad to see Krogers discontinuing carrying their cheese.  They melt very well, and will make a great patty melt.  Figured if he was not seeing well, he could figure out a sandwich.  I am a firm believer of eating with my fingers...

I am tired, and I am babbling, may put on a movie, and take a nap....

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

The aches and pains have taken on a life of their own. It probably didn’t help with all the cleaning I did yesterday. I am really glad I joined this group. Everyone is so nice. I have my new iPad which is much easier to use and will help during my convalescence. 

I will add a sunrise from my last cruise to start the day.. 

D8430895-F848-48AD-BB73-86F7F0475777.jpeg

Wow extremely gorgeous 

thanks for sharing

• Like 6

Time for a quick check-in.

@dfishI'm glad you got your brother to his home and set up so that someone else (not family) can take care of him.

@marshhawkyour spouse sounds like a tough patient; you might have to find some of those "good" pills and slip another in his food to get you through!  Patty melt sounds like a great dinner tonight - anything you can eat with your hands while you can't see is a good thing.  Take care of yourself while you take care of DH!

@Seasick SailorI'm happy you haven't heard from the doctor's office yet - it usually means they haven't found anything serious.  Be careful though, to not overdo it when you're packing!  Also, Happy Birthday to your DS!

@cruising sisterYay on the new iPad; sorry about the fall in the airport - you're right, it not only hurts the body, but the pride!!

@tupper10continued prayers for your son's recovery.

Heartbreaking news about the law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. 

Just heard on the news that in Syria a baby was born while the mother was under the rubble from the earthquake; they rescued the baby, who was still connected to mom by the umbilical cord, to find she was the only surviving member of the family.  Gut wrenching.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

Another busy day news-wise on the Daily.  I wish we had more people who have been to Madagascar because we have no photos this time.  I checked last year's post for Nosy Be and our only poster with photos was Melisa @HAL Sailer and we know she is busy helping her DH.  If I'd ever taken any of the Grand Africa cruises we were booked on the past 2 years I would have stopped there.  Maybe it's for the best we didn't.

This week DGS Ren, his Mom, Colton and his Mom are in Kansas City visiting a very good MLS club, just like last week.  Hope the weather is better.  This month is a busy one in the soccer world and will get busier as the spring months go on.

Joy @Seasick SailorI'm glad you haven't gotten any bad news yet from your visit yesterday.  If you had broken something they would have let you know by now.  You're staying on our list until we know for sure though.  Your cruise (and @57redbird's) is coming up soon so good luck with that packing.  Good to hear you can send the luggage on ahead of time.  Happy birthday to your Sis!

Roy @rafinmdit's good news you are sleeping better.  I hope you feel stronger soon.

@cruising sister I hope your aches and pains start improving.  It's a good reminder to watch our steps at the airport.

@tupper10I'm happy to hear your son has had his procedure and is doing okay.  Hopefully you feel better soon too.

Terry @smitty34877I'm sorry to hear about Tana's bad night due to respiratory difficulties.  You are the best,  sitting up with her during the worst of it, and bringing breakfast in bed.  Prayers for better days.

Nancy @ottahand7I can believe you'll be glad when you can move back to your stateroom!  We were moved out of our room once for two nights due to wet carpet (neighbor's cabin flooded).  It was a real inconvenience!   Are they keeping the doors open in the warmth to help air out your room still?  Enjoy the warmer temps and I hope you're back "home" soon!

Debbie @dfishI'm glad the Doctor visit went okay today but sorry to hear you have to go through surgery next month.  Great news that DB is home though.  Hope his recovery goes well.

Annie @marshhawkwhat a day you've had!  I'm glad DH's surgery is complete but it sounds like you have your hands full as his nurse.  Good luck and I'll pray that both of you get through this okay.

I know I must have forgotten some things but know that I care and wish everyone the best.  ❤️

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a gloomy central Texas.  So far, our rain has not materialized, but the clouds are getting thicker.  I managed to get my walk in this morning when I picked up the mail.  The walk did me some good, but it the dampness was not kind to my short hair.  It was standing straight up when I got home.  At least short hair is easy to get back to the way it should supposed to look.

5 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Thank you for the fleet report.  Glad to hear some of us are feeling much better and so far no more broken bones.   Prayers for those who are facing surgery and for Ukraine and those in Turkey and Syria.

I am feeling a bit better but I am glad to be home.     My son had his liver abscess drained yesterday and now will be in the hospital for a few days on IV antibiotics. We are praying the drain and IV antibiotics work otherwise it is rather complicated surgery as a next step.  

Thank you for all your prayers.  

I'm glad yo are feeling a bit better, and can recover at home.  That is good news they could drain your son's abscess.  I hope the drain and the antibiotics do what they are supposed to do so that your son does not need the complicated surgery.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I slept better last night (meaning that I was able to get back to sleep quickly after waking up a lot during the night).  Any night I'm not awake 1-3 hours is a good night!  In my case a full moon has nothing to do with it, since it happens all the time. No stress right now either, just the way I am.  🤷‍♀️

I try to send out birthday cards and always send Christmas cards -- today I should buy some Valentine cards for the grandsons.  Always wave to my neighbors (with my whole hand) 😅 and other than Nutcracker Suite I've never been to a ballet.  Will pass on the drink and red wine, the first recipe looks good.  In fact I may have some in the freezer....better check!  Never have been to this port.

Today I need to get my hair cut, and pick up those cards and a few other things.  Yes Debbie @dfishthe painting upstairs is done.  I'm taking a couple days off before doing the entryway downstairs.  Wouldn't you know, we bought a gallon of paint and I didn't need it...I'm sure I'll find something else that needs painting lol.

I woke up to the good news that DD's family has been accepted to adopt the kitten siblings and they can get them this week. 🙂  Of course I'll get down there asap to meet them!  Also they will be staying with us for about 10 days total the end of this month while DD and family are away.  She didn't have to twist my arm....😄

@Cruzin TerriBon Voyage!!

Roy @rafinmdI'm glad you slept well last night.  Sleep is the best healer.

Gerry @ger_77what a thoughtful gesture for your friend who lost her husband and is now going through radiation treatments.

Debbie @dfishI hope the appointment with the surgeon goes well today.

@tupper10Prayers that the antibiotics and drain work.

So sad about the death and wounding of the police officers.  And sad that it's happening more and more.

Carolyn, I'm glad you got a decent night's sleep, and that the upstairs painting is finished.   Very happy there will be new kitties in the family, and can't wait to see pictures.

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We are enjoying our typical cool, wet Winter weather here.  We once stopped at Nosy Be, but I have no pictures.  A few words about Nosy Be.  Nosy Be Island is redundant, as Nosy means island in their language.  There wasn't much to recommend the port.  The main street went up a hill with mostly bars and places to eat.  I bought a bottle of local rum there for about $1.

There is jungle outside of town supposedly with sloths in the trees.  The beach seemed to be mud instead of sand.  After reading on wikipedia how the locals treated some French tourists in 2013, I wouldn't recommend staying there.

Ray

We had a good friend who visited Nosy Be on a cruise, and did not like it at all.  The word I remember her using was dirty, and she did not feel safe.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon!

My DB is safely home from the hospital.  No problems transporting him and he got to his apartment with no issue.  I set him up with a couple ice bags, so he should be good to go for a while.  

Things went well at the surgeon's office.  He did an ultrasound but couldn't see the parathyroids.  He said that isn't unusual.  So, we're doing another scan in two weeks.  Surgery is tentatively set for March 8th.  During the ultrasound he did find a nodule on the thyroid, but it is very small and he said they will just monitor it for now.  He may biopsy it when he removes the offending parathyroid glands.  He said it is nothing to worry about.  I forgot to tell him he couldn't find anything new until we resolved the issues I have now.  

Debbie, I'm glad you DB is safely home from the hospital and got to his apartment with no problems.  Sorry the surgeon found the nodule, but glad he will be keeping an eye on it.  It would be reassuring if he did biopsy it and found it was truly nothing to worry about.  

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

DH is back home, I'm a terrible nurse, and he's an even worse patient.  His eye area is starting to turn a very dark bruise, and his face is beginning to swell.  All of this was to be expected ( I hope he read the material they gave him pre surgery.)  They placed an ice pack on him in post op, and he said his eye really hurt.  And he yanked the ice pack off!  They gave him some of those "good" drugs, he wanted chick fil A and we did the drive through and came home.  BUT because he yanked that ice pack off himself, his eye started bleeding, again, something they said may happen, but really, not because you rip off an ice pack.  

Dinner tonight is a patty melt.  I do believe it was @aliaschief that got me hooked on Tillanook dairy products, so sad to see Krogers discontinuing carrying their cheese.  They melt very well, and will make a great patty melt.  Figured if he was not seeing well, he could figure out a sandwich.  I am a firm believer of eating with my fingers...

I am tired, and I am babbling, may put on a movie, and take a nap....

Annie, I'm glad you DH is home after his surgery.  Now, hopefully you can both get some rest today.  

43 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Time for a quick check-in.

@dfishI'm glad you got your brother to his home and set up so that someone else (not family) can take care of him.

@marshhawkyour spouse sounds like a tough patient; you might have to find some of those "good" pills and slip another in his food to get you through!  Patty melt sounds like a great dinner tonight - anything you can eat with your hands while you can't see is a good thing.  Take care of yourself while you take care of DH!

@Seasick SailorI'm happy you haven't heard from the doctor's office yet - it usually means they haven't found anything serious.  Be careful though, to not overdo it when you're packing!  Also, Happy Birthday to your DS!

@cruising sisterYay on the new iPad; sorry about the fall in the airport - you're right, it not only hurts the body, but the pride!!

@tupper10continued prayers for your son's recovery.

Heartbreaking news about the law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. 

Just heard on the news that in Syria a baby was born while the mother was under the rubble from the earthquake; they rescued the baby, who was still connected to mom by the umbilical cord, to find she was the only surviving member of the family.  Gut wrenching.

Gerry, I couldn't like your post because of the news about the baby born in the earthquake rubble.  It is a miracle she survived, but so sad none of her family survived.

All the recent police deaths and injuries are disturbing.  Domestic disturbance calls are some the most dangerous call police face.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

For those of you needing ice packs, my friend gave me the "recipe" for a great one after my recent hip replacement. Use a resealable freezer bag and add 1 cup of alcohol (the rubbing kind, not the good drinking kind) and 3 to 4 cups of water. Be sure to remove as much air as possible. Then seal inside another freezer bag. It stays slushy so molds to wherever you need it and stays cold longer than a regular water filled ice pack.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I wish we had more people who have been to Madagascar because we have no photos this time.  I checked last year's post for Nosy Be and our only poster with photos was Melisa.

Yes, last March I did post pictures of Nosy Be from our wet-landing during a cruise of the Indian Ocean on Orient Line's Marco Polo 27 years ago!

(The Orient Line is defunct and its Marco Polo went to the breakers...)

I don't know how to move the pictures from last March's post to today's The Daily -- and they aren't digital pictures.  If someone knows how to repost them here from then, please feel free to do it.

And, if anyone just wants to see the pictures I posted back in 2022, you can go to @StLouisCruiserspost #4 on today's first page for the link to March 7, 2022. Click on the link she posted and when it opens you can find my pictures on page three in post #63 of March 7, 2022.

Just remember, it was 27 years ago!

-Melisa

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Yes, last March I did post pictures of Nosy Be from our wet-landing during a cruise of the Indian Ocean on Orient Line's Marco Polo 27 years ago!

(The Orient Line is defunct and its Marco Polo went to the breakers...)

I don't know how to move the pictures from last March's post to today's The Daily -- and they aren't digital pictures.  If someone knows how to repost them here from then, please feel free to do it.

And, if anyone just wants to see the pictures I posted back in 2022, you can go to @StLouisCruiserspost #4 on today's first page for the link to March 7, 2022. Click on the link she posted and when it opens you can find my pictures on page three in post #63 of March 7, 2022.

Just remember, it was 27 years ago!

-Melisa

Got it for you.  Just copy and paste is the trick!

One of DH and my grand adventures was a1996 'Isles of the Indian Ocean' cruise on Orient's Marco Polo.

On November 16, we anchored off Nosy Be, Madagascar and were greeted by locals who surrounded our ship hoping to sell fish, fruit, and other wares. 

IMG_20220307_140616852.thumb.jpg.35da85084e4a60fa4f632e0c111d1305.jpg

IMG_20220307_140658220.thumb.jpg.d785a389377a6b9a984ffc1ac9e2b2dc.jpg

Later, we boarded a Marco Polo tender, transferred to a zodiac, and eventually waded ashore. 'Wet landings' were common on that voyage and I'll never forget the one lady who did every landing -- wet or dry -- in her white high heels (wrapped in plastic bags, as needed)!

IMG_20220307_142715660.thumb.jpg.2a7aeb55b618414aa9b5f611e63f8b51.jpg

From there, we hiked upland to see the black lemurs in their rain forest habitat.

IMG_20220307_140844172.thumb.jpg.7ab8f1ed9555c9e52ba6c0b9f4e29a3e.jpg

IMG_20220307_140803166.thumb.jpg.fbeb2855be6b524f5407bec6784ede66.jpg

IMG_20220307_140933040.thumb.jpg.78fcc8ef0ebf0f52d4d3324e8fa069ee.jpg

Wonderful memories! And, I'm sure 26 years have brought more changes to Nosy Be than I can imagine.

-Melisa

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

His friend, Bev, met us at the door and will take him downstairs and outside for his smoke breaks.  He knows I won't.  LOL

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Amazing and gut wrenching at the same time.  

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfishI'm glad the Doctor visit went okay today but sorry to hear you have to go through surgery next month.  Great news that DB is home though.  Hope his recovery goes well. 

I'm kind of glad to be going through the surgery because the calcium won't be leaching out of my bones.  This is an easy surgery - about an hour and outpatient.  If I'm first on the docket I could be home by noon.  That would be better than a hip fracture.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm glad you DB is safely home from the hospital and got to his apartment with no problems.  Sorry the surgeon found the nodule, but glad he will be keeping an eye on it.  It would be reassuring if he did biopsy it and found it was truly nothing to worry about.  

Most of those nodules go unfound or are found accidentally when looking for something else.  It is very small, just under 2 mm.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Am I going to regret this?

A few weeks ago we were discussing Funchal and Daniel's Madeira Taxis. In the roll calls for the Spanish Farewell, I offered to organize a private tour there. There has been a little interest and there may be more when I have more to say.

Meanwhile, in the roll call for the B2B Ancient Empires and Spanish Farewell, someone has proposed a lot of private tours, so far all for the first segment, which I won't be on. The person comes across as a martinet who demands that applicants for their tours meet exacting standards:

We have a firm idea of the type of person with whom we shall share a tour: non-smoking; mobile; on time; relaxed about the day and any extra costs; interesting, interested and fun. 

Needless to say, if this person organizes any tours for the Spanish Farewell segment, I won't be applying. I am nonsmoking and mobile, but no one would call me fun and these people would probably not call me interesting. As for interested, that depends on the subject. I can imagine being kicked off the tour because they decided that I wasn't fun.

On other cruise lines, both for tours that I organized and for those that I joined, I've always found people to be fairly easygoing. But this feeds my paranoia about HAL passengers and now I'm wondering if the Madeira tour is going to attract people who are rigid and censorious.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Am I going to regret this?

A few weeks ago we were discussing Funchal and Daniel's Madeira Taxis. In the roll calls for the Spanish Farewell, I offered to organize a private tour there. There has been a little interest and there may be more when I have more to say.

Meanwhile, in the roll call for the B2B Ancient Empires and Spanish Farewell, someone has proposed a lot of private tours, so far all for the first segment, which I won't be on. The person comes across as a martinet who demands that applicants for their tours meet exacting standards:

We have a firm idea of the type of person with whom we shall share a tour: non-smoking; mobile; on time; relaxed about the day and any extra costs; interesting, interested and fun. 

Needless to say, if this person organizes any tours for the Spanish Farewell segment, I won't be applying. I am nonsmoking and mobile, but no one would call me fun and these people would probably not call me interesting. As for interested, that depends on the subject. I can imagine being kicked off the tour because they decided that I wasn't fun.

On other cruise lines, both for tours that I organized and for those that I joined, I've always found people to be fairly easygoing. But this feeds my paranoia about HAL passengers and now I'm wondering if the Madeira tour is going to attract people who are rigid and censorious.

There is something similar on my roll call for this summer.  They didn't include the interesting and fun part, just the mobility, flexibility, and smoking parts.  I hope they find a lot of fun people to go with them.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Here is what happened on Nosy Be in 2013.  A child's body was found on the beach a week of so after its death.  The uncle was accused and jailed.  He was let out of jail and a rumor started that foreigners were killing children for body parts.  A French couple on vacation were accused of that, taken from their hotel by a mob, stoned and put in tires and thrown on a bonfire.  Two local police were part of the crowd and one filmed it on his cell phone.  A week later the uncle showed up and the crowd hanged him and then threw him on a bonfire.  Finally after two years a few of the mob were charged with a crime.  However, the two policemen were not charged.  It is does not look like a safe place for tourism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11

45 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Here is what happened on Nosy Be in 2013.  A child's body was found on the beach a week of so after its death.  The uncle was accused and jailed.  He was let out of jail and a rumor started that foreigners were killing children for body parts.  A French couple on vacation were accused of that, taken from their hotel by a mob, stoned and put in tires and thrown on a bonfire.  Two local police were part of the crowd and one filmed it on his cell phone.  A week later the uncle showed up and the crowd hanged him and then threw him on a bonfire.  Finally after two years a few of the mob were charged with a crime.  However, the two policemen were not charged.  It is does not look like a safe place for tourism.

That is a sickening thing to happen.  Yes, I'm glad I haven't gone there, and perhaps the cruise lines need to stop putting Nosy Be on itineraries.  Either that or everyone refuse to get off the ship there.  Not that the ship cares but if they pay port fees for the guests and no one wants to get off the ship, maybe they will make better choices.

• Like 4

@StLouisCruisers thanks for  your dedication maintaining the Fleet/Daily, and the Care and Celebration Lists.

Another Canterbury NZ wine that we had not heard of.

Blue skies all around this morning,, caught the bus to town, came out of a mall to heavy rain, fortunately some shops have verandahs to give  protection from the weather.  Sun out again before I got to the bus stop.

@rafinmd Roy, pleased that you had a better sleep.

@aliaschief Kia Ora, thanks for all your humour,.

@ger_77  that baby  was shown on our lunchtime TV news.  The earthquake has caused such heartbreaking devastation.

• Like 8