Will Cruise Lines be able to Compete with All-Inclusive

Hlitner

Perhaps I should have titled this topic, "will cruise lines continue to compete."  Just reading many of the CC threads on individual cruise lines, there are numerous posts on cruise line cut-backs, price increases, new "nag charges" like for room service, add-ons for food items that used to be included. etc  For many cruisers, an alternative has been All-Inclusive resorts.  I was just reading about more than a dozen new AIs opening (many in the CAribbean) in 2023!   We have been avid ocean cruisers for over 50 years, but we also do a lot of independent travel and have vacationed at several AIs.   Some AIs are quite amazing and have pretty decent cuisine.   My own hunch is that mass market lines will lose some customers to the AIs as passengers become fed-up with cutbacks, nickel and diming, etc.

What do you think?

Hank

• Like 1

I agree, primarily because Covid followed by increasing cruise prices and degradation of service has led many cruisers to try AIs for the first time and many have found they really enjoy the AI experience.  

AIs are not likely to "poach" those who desire port-intensive itinerary based cruising.  However, those who cruise to enjoy the ship, relaxation, sun, and carefree nature of AI vacationing will definitely be drawn to AI resorts. So yeah, those who still cruise the Caribbean despite having already visited the ports multiple times really should give AI resorts a try.

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

What components are the draw for all inclusive cruises and resorts?  I would guess the main draws are  alcohol, food, atmosphere, entertainment, activities, service.  What distinguishes a cruise from an AI resort?  Seems the big one is itinerary.  

I think of course cruise lines will continue to compete with AI resorts, but will likely not be as price competitive as they were in the past.   

I'm not into drinking and lounging around a pool for hours, so an AI resort doesn't automatically appeal.   If we want to explore around, we stay in a regular hotel as opposed to an AI resort.   If cruise prices rise too much, or if the experience is downgraded too much, that is likely what we will do with our travel time.  

So, I guess in our case the better question is if a cruise vacation can continue to compete with land vacations.

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

A couple of dozen old-timers on a forum complaining about "what used to be" doesn't dictate the market as much as this place thinks. Let's be honest. No matter what you think has been "cutback" about cruising, it has been opened up as a viable vacation to more and more people. Mega ships have tons to do. The average person isn't having their vacation ruined because lobster isn't unlimited or their danish isn't delivered to their room each morning.

AIs continue to have a value proposition. Some people do both. Some will only do one. There is no such thing as grass greener on the other side. There is ALWAYS someone complaining about something.

I recently went to Cancun, a destination well-known for AIs. I didn't even consider staying at one. They are severely overrated, in my opinion. People equate included with money savings, and that is not always the case. You would find me at the (incredible) taco stands for a $5 meal while others flock to mediocre pizza and pasta for their hotel they paid double or more at.

• Like 7

I've stayed at a few AIs.  I don't see them as competition to cruises any more than any other destination vacation.  Like cruise lines and like other hotel brands, there is a large range in quality....or at least perceived quality.  Also, AIs can and do nickel and dime if you want upgraded experiences.  I remember staying at one in Cancun where all bottom shelf (meals, liquors, etc) were included.  If I wanted top shelf and better dining, I had to pay for it.  

My preference is still cruising because AIs can't do what cruises do; and that's going out to sea and visiting a new destination every day.  Plus, I've yet to see entertainment at an AI that rivals what's on these newer ships.  

• Like 1

AI's offer significantly different vacation options:  for many of us the being at sea and the stopping at different ports are powerful draws which AI's lack. 

Further, AI's offer little (if any) advantage over just staying in an area.  We regularly spend a couple of weeks on Sint Maarten -- enjoying what the island as a whole has to offer-- with no temptation to lock into one spot. And (with the exception of this year thanks to Ian) we regularly spend three weeks on Sanibel. 

I do think, however, that AI's will attract a lot of the demographic now drawn to the mass market mega-ships, once they tire of the same over-crowded Caribbean port calls and the undeniable downgrading of the cruise ship experience.   I think that there has been substantial overbuilding of mega-ships;  some of their current regulars will turn to other options-- land travel or higher value (yes, at higher cost) smaller "premium" ships which can go places the big ones can't.   The gradually shrinking pool of cruise ship staffers (due to improved economic options in their home countries) will result in further service cuts and fare increases. 

I would not include any equity investments in Carnival, RCI or NCL in my retirement portfolio I think their golden age is passing.

No segment of the travel industry is immune from the current inflationary pressures and supply chain issues.  I think people can enjoy both.  Many cruise lines are poised for the quickie getaway and the value family vacation.  They likely will continue to compete especially those cruises where you can drive to port.  If airfares don’t  moderate they will have an impact on certain itineraries.  

The more  traditional voyage cruises segment is likely the segment which will need to undergo changes.

19 hours ago, mnocket said:

AIs are not likely to "poach" those who desire port-intensive itinerary based cruising.  However, those who cruise to enjoy the ship, relaxation, sun, and carefree nature of AI vacationing will definitely be drawn to AI resorts. So yeah, those who still cruise the Caribbean despite having already visited the ports multiple times really should give AI resorts a try.

+1. Itinerary is what matters. If sun and relaxation are my objectives then a cruise would be the last thing I'd choose and certainly not one to the Caribbean crammed on a boat with 5 thousand other people. I've also found in comparable price ranges AI amenities to be notably superior to cruising. Larger and more comfortable rooms, easier access to the beach and activities, less expensive excursions and a more casual environment. 

Edited by K32682

We like AI resorts Sandals is our favorite by far , celebrity suites are normally AI also neither one is cheap, bottom line you get what you pay for . The biggest negative for sandals is some are huge and it might be a mile walk to get from one place to another, entertainment is definitely better on cruises, but on sandals there are 6 or more on some no extra charge for any.

We tried AIs before discovering cruising, and found that we spent an enormous amount on travel outside of the complex, eventually hiring a car, because there was not enough on site to interest us.

The last one we did was a stay/cruise with Thomson, now Marella, which was a week in a 5 star hotel on a Red Sea beach; entertainment was limited and amateur, and again, we had to book excursions to see the area. 

One thing which stood out was that, being used to cruise chatting by that time, we tried talking to people sitting near us on many occasions but had very little response. We couldn't wait for the cruise section.

And- people were talking to us as soon as we stepped on board. 

That was a very notable difference.

• Like 1

As far as I can see cruising is growing not diminishing. The reality is people will get use to all the cut backs and it will just be part of the cruise experience. Most people don't cruise regularly. It may feel like that on a site dedicated to cruising but the average cruiser is more erratic in their cruise schedule so they are not going to notice these changes as starkly like prolific cruises who feel their routines have been disturbed. 

I like the beach vibe for 3-4 hours max. After that, I need to DO something. Walk the town, shop, eat what the locals eat, see something historic, explore the landscape, etc. We did an AI once in Playa del Carmen, Mexico when our kids were little and although we had fun for the most part, we were bored a lot of the time.

For us, cruising is the best of both worlds. We can be as busy or as lazy as we want to be. Most days, it's a mix of activity. This is likely whey we prefer to road trip in a RV than return to the same stationary RV or campground/cabin every week. The world is big and amazing and beautiful. I want to see as much of it as possible.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I like the beach vibe for 3-4 hours max. After that, I need to DO something. Walk the town, shop, eat what the locals eat, see something historic, explore the landscape, etc. We did an AI once in Playa del Carmen, Mexico when our kids were little and although we had fun for the most part, we were bored a lot of the time.

For us, cruising is the best of both worlds. We can be as busy or as lazy as we want to be. Most days, it's a mix of activity. This is likely whey we prefer to road trip in a RV than return to the same stationary RV or campground/cabin every week. The world is big and amazing and beautiful. I want to see as much of it as possible.

We have discovered that we are not Sit by the Pool or on the Beach at a Resort folks. We need to be more active, as well. different strokes for different folks.

As for RVing, we drove our old one to 49 states and parts of Canada. Our new one has been as far north as a few miles from Canada in Montana and as far east as Alabama. We were camped along the Pacific Coast in SoCal last week. We now alternate between long trips and several days to a few weeks in one place. I love the variety that both cruising and RVing afford us. 

You might be interested in joining the Cruisers who love to RV and RVers Who Love to Cruise thread in the 55+ forum. Don't worry if you haven't reached 55 yet. I started the thread well before I was, and nobody smacked me. 

This used to be my profile picture here (and probably will be again). 

image.png.c26827103f739cb9013a7de0eb9c18a7.png

• Like 2

Before we ever took our first cruise, we did try a couple of all inclusive resorts, they were fine. I can't see us leaving cruising to go to AI, the interest just isn't there for us. Cruising allows us to travel from point A to point B, C etc. without getting on a plane. 

Edited by SPacificbound
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SPacificbound said:

Before we ever took our first cruise, we did try a couple of all inclusive resorts, they were fine. I can't see us leaving cruising to go to AI, the interest just isn't there for us. Cruising allows us to travel from point A to point B, C etc. without getting on a plane. 

I truly appreciate all the different perspectives. We have never tried an AI, and we've only had three cruises from which we did not fly to the embarkation and/or disembarkation port(s). 

Before we retired, we only did on two cruise vacation. These days, due largely to the expense involved in flying to fantastic locations, we tend to string together and/or include multiple cruises on trips that we fly to (and/or from). We leave for an 82 day, five cruise trip on Saturday. We have two more big trips with 3 and 2 cruises later this year, and a 6 cruise trip next year. So far, we have one two cruise trip in the planning phases for 2025. 

Maybe we will incorporate AIs at some point. Maybe we will do a trip that is just an AI someday. 

I am so grateful to all the people who share their experiences and opinions about different types of travel. You all help me to learn.

• Like 1

To me, the point of a cruise is to be able to see a large amounts of sights easily, even if superficially.  Staying in an all inclusive has zero appeal to me.  Athough I heard and read about it from friends and aquitances, I've never stayed at one and I never will.

To me, the alternative to a cruise is an RV trip, or a car camping trip, or a backpacking trip, or car trip staying in hotels, etc.  

• Like 1