The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 25th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

12 minutes ago, superoma said:

But, it is freezer on the bottom and I hate it

Eons ago, I had a freezer-on-bottom. Hated it for the same reasons as @superoma. Also, not a big fan of freezer-on-top. So, I'm hoping to find a countertop depth side-by-side with enough interior storage and an exterior water & ice dispenser that will fit the current space with room for the doors to swing and isn't on backorder!

Not asking for much, am I???

(Evoking a carpenter's saying, I'll need to measure twice and order once.)

-Melisa 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

@4966and556I am glad you said what you did regarding the Pandemic,  I am absolutely amazed at what some people say to me when I call trying to sell them tickets to the arts.  The wont support the art institution because they were asked to wear masks two years ago.  And then tell me -we are the only country that wears masks, and they wont..  Or America is the only country with social distancing issues, or that other countries don't believe that boosters and vaccines are necessary.  What rock are these people living under.???  I refer to the pandemic as the time the world stopped being the way that it was.  Truly the day the music ( at least live) died.  It is very hard to get the arts resurrected. 

@StLouisCruisersSandi thank you for the kind words.  I told the other cats that the job of office manager was open.  I had two applicants, neither will work.  Furnando came in, jumped on both key boards, and refused to get off the path finder key board,  He must be IT, so that was a no, and Tazi came in and climbed in the the old file box, and started shredding paper.  Told her the office was looking for a manager, not a clean up crew.  Irving did come in, and curled up to sleep on Neko's pillow, since they had been together since we got him, he is the only cat who actually notices that she is missing.  And Bob has not applied for the job at all. So it may be quite a while until we have another office manager.  Fawn and Bubbles are not acceptable applicants.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

@dfish You mentioned serving the daily recipe mandarin orange salad to your sister when she next visits. To celebrate your return to Michigan, perhaps you'll add some of our famous dried cherries? They are delicious in salad and a great with citrus.

I love cherries.  They are my all time favorite.  What a great suggestion!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites.  It's 53 here and cloudy, and the heat came on this morning for the first time in 4 days.  I had the bedroom window open for the last 4 nights, and slept so much better than I had been, plus I took off the mega comforter from the bed, so I was not feeling so squashed.  I didn't sleep all night, got up at my usual 1 and 4 somethings, but when i was asleep I could tell it was better sleep than the past few months.

Yesterday was, as you know not a great day.  We got to the vets at 8:20 and we were the only people there.  They took us into a back patient room, where one of my paintings hang, and the vet came in.  It was Dr. Prescott, but instead of her usual "we can save this animal " speech, she said, it was time.  Neko was starving to death, because she could no longer eat or swallow,  and they gave her a sedative, and gave us some time in the room alone with her.  I didn't retell the cat about how we found her, and how she was the best office cat, I had told her that the night before.  But our lives are sometimes so routine, and maybe it's us getting old, but it didn't seem that long since she was just a kitten found in a box marked -Free Kat.  Turns out she was 19 years old.  To me that's pretty old for a cat, so I do know while it hurt to lose her, there was no way I was going to let her suffer anymore.

We buried her up in the back yard, and put in Grayson, who's ashes had been in an urn since 2020. And then I made sure that we watched Formula 1 and Death in Paradise during any remaining free moments of the day. We both worked yesterday too. I just didn't want empty hours going over in my head that I did the right thing.  I know I did, but I know DH was still questioning this decision.  I also checked in when I could and caught up with reading the Daily yesterday.

Hugs to you and Chuck.

@dfishIs it possible to make a pot of mashed potatoes big enough to dive in?  These all look great.  My idea of mashed potatoes these days is a bag of instant.  

I'm sure it is possible, but I'm not going to try it.  You've seen the pictures of pizzas the size of a ball field?   I'm sure they have vats big enough for the potatoes.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

We have been to Aarhus twice, in 2003 on the Rotterdam VI and in 2005 on the Marco Polo.  When we were there, the town's name only had one A.  😉

In 2003, we did a tour to The Old Town, Den Gamle By, which is a living museum of life from 1864 to 1974.  After the tour, we wandered around town, and got a Danish pastry.  In 2005, we just walked around town and got a Danish pastry.  While many will get coffee, beer or wine, when we are in a port we usually get a pastry or gelato, and we've been known to get both.  🍦🍩

These pictures were taken at Den Gamle By.  In addition to walking around the site, you could go into most buildings, and watch people performing tasks from that time period.

IMG_2312.thumb.JPG.c6452ae2086400c90bcdec35dd23cd9c.JPG

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.269d647587e419d918db415945d3df90.JPG

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.530b6cc0e3c9a7747da75689c508dda0.JPG

The pictures of Aarhus were taken on both cruises.  I hope there are not too many almost duplicates.

Looking at the town from the Marco Polo

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.9c8b19ba97d2184473bd7d3e70dcb9e4.JPG

The rest were from our meanderings on both cruises.

IMG_2335.thumb.JPG.1926ea25d80dcc064dd45e54d6c48c17.JPG

IMG_2336.thumb.JPG.89ac639c022a2c140246aaddc44dcb46.JPG

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.898eada54dfa4fd8e8adb014a1dd2f69.JPG

IMG_5931.thumb.JPG.3adb975ee9044448f1d4233c692b03d7.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Just now, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Aarhus twice, in 2003 on the Rotterdam VI and in 2005 on the Marco Polo.  When we were there, the town's name only had one A.  😉

In 2003, we did a tour to The Old Town, Den Gamle By, which is a living museum of life from 1864 to 1974.  After the tour, we wandered around town, and got a Danish pastry.  In 2005, we just walked around town and got a Danish pastry.  While many will get coffee, beer or wine, when we are in a port we usually get a pastry or gelato, and we've been known to get both.  🍦🍩

These pictures were taken at Den Gamle By.  In addition to walking around the site, you could go into most buildings, and watch people performing tasks from that time period.

The pictures of Aarhus were taken on both cruises.  I hope there are not too many almost duplicates.

Lenda

Interesting photos Lenda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy belated birthday @MISTER 67!!  You and old Abe Lincoln share the same birthday.  Enjoy your upcoming cruise on Celebrity Reflection!

Yep, it was pretty good growing up in Chicago and Illinois as the 12th was a school holiday and I didn’t have to play hooky.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 11
  • Haha 8

I seem to be somewhat slow this morning. We were promised sun today, but it is cloudy. However temps are warmer. It was 23F when dogs and I went out and high today is supposed to be in the high 40's before snow arrives again tomorrow. We shall see. There are storms forecast off and on next week. Hopefully I won't have to cancel the Board meeting again. I have been to Aahus but it was many years ago and by land. I remember enjoying it but I will have to search back through my old photo albums to refresh my memory. And while I love potatoes... they are on my restricted list.

I slept well last night after I finally got to sleep. My tossing and turning exercise was all at the beginning of the night. Today will be more sorting and hopefully maybe having a load to go out to the shelter before they stop taking things this afternoon.

@marshhawkI am so very sorry about little Neko but that is a long life for a kitty and a very happy one with you. I always remind myself through my tears that this is the last kind thing we can do for them.

@RMLincolnEnvy you the cruise. Will try to watch sailaway.

Take care, all.

Susan

• Like 20

Good morning all,

Our portion of the storm arrived late last night, and we really are getting rain. I’m loving it. Today’s activities include making lemon cupcakes for tomorrow’s get together (ladies ministry is having a chili and knitting get together), doing our financials, rounding up tax documents and watching sail away. Also need to start making tropical crepe paper flowers for a tea next month that I’m hosting.  My friend, the guest of honor, requested a Hawaiian theme. She also loves art nouveau and the teen era. As all guests are historical costumers and have teens wear in their closets already, ( and might not have island wear), I’m bending the theme into “Tea in Mucha’s (tropical) Garden”. Is it still considered plagiarism if I use the hibiscus pictures @bennybear posted yesterday? 

Adding to the refrigerator discussion, we have a counter depth Kitchenaid 2 door and like it. It is short on space sometimes. I kept a shelf from the old machine for the fridge and freezer, and they actually fit. That has created more usable space. IF I had it to do over, when we designed the kitchen, I would have set it up for a regular refrigerator to fit ( offsetting the cabinets so they stood out more and engulfed the refrigerator.) We had to go from white appliances to stainless in order to get a quality refrigerator that fit the space.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21

Ahhh … Refrigerators and Renovations ….

First I wish to thank everyone on this thread for what a wonderful, warm, fuzzy place this is to come. I usually just lurk here but I cannot get past a day without peeking in and I am so grateful for the fellowship and support that this group demonstrates.  If only the whole world could operate in as friendly and cooperative a fashion as this group manages every day.

Now, a little background.  Late 2019 we decided to consider moving from our noisy downtown high rise to a quieter more suburban/urban environment.  By mid January 2020 we had contracted to purchase a suburban condo a block and a half from their downtown area, and within three weeks we had multiple offers on our downtown condo.  That was all before we really even heard of covid.

By the time our move in date arrived in March of 2020 we were not even certain that we could have our movers come to move us as that day the Governor of Illinois closed the state.  

We had purchased our new home confident that we would be happy there after a few renovations. But due to covid we quarantined and postponed.  Sort of like living in someone else’s home - all the walls were the wrong colors for us (e.g. our kitchen was painted vermillion).  And as we lived there we realized that changing the kitchen counters and backsplash would not deal with the cabinets (doors falling off, hinges exploding …) and many other issues.  Ultimately we would need a new kitchen.

When the vaccine arrived in 2021 we immediately had the floors replaced which was one of the jobs that we knew would have to be done.  New floors made a big difference.

Then we started work on getting a designer and arranging for a new kitchen.  After designs were finalized it took a full 9 months for the cabinets to come in (thank you covid).  Then another three months to get on the contractor’s schedule (thank covid again) and finally, late July 2022, materials were delivered and the project was to begin.  Well, the local permit office was so backed up that their delays added 8 weeks to our renovation time with similar delays by contractors, etc.  It was last week that the kitchen was essentially completed after six and a half months without a kitchen.  We drooled daily at @dfishrecipes but there was little more than take out in our daily menus.

@Cruzin Terriwe feel your pain.

The refrigerator was one of our biggest bugaboos.  The original owners of our unit had replaced their old refrigerator with a new French door LG with a bottom drawer freezer between our first viewing of our unit and our second.  If we had known that they were thinking of doing that we would have told them not to.  I really hated the bottom drawer which is where frozen food goes to hide and die.  The drawer would not stay open so when I needed to dig or rearrange anything in the bottom I needed DH to hold the drawer open.

During the kitchen design process we had picked out a GE side by side but then was steered by the designer and sales person to a Samsung refrigerator with a new design and lots of bells and whistles - sort of like a side by side, and sort of like a French door - it has four doors.  The top section has French doors, the bottom section is like a side by side with two separate doors and two separate compartments.  One side being the freezer and the other side a section that could be freezer or refrigerator.  

Since the project took so long to materialize we thought inventory issues would not figure in - but they did.  We had to replace our choice of cooktops three times due to lack of availability … and when the Samsung refrigerator finally arrived - it did not fit in the space supposedly designed for it in any way.  The Samsung door hinges were not zero clearance hinges and required space to the left and right to open doors that somehow our “designer” missed when drawing up the plans.

We had to pick a new unit from the small amount of inventory available.  We ended up with a GE side by side ironically almost identical to the unit I had originally chosen - and low and behold - not only does it have zero clearance hinges, the vegetable bins in the frig hold more than all three bins in the LG and we still have plenty of shelf and door storage space.  And the freezer is wonderful - organized and I can see everything I have stored.  So much to consider when buying appliances.  

During the refrigerator debacle there was a couple of weeks when we had three refrigerators in our home.  The Samsung has now been returned and the old fridge has been rehomed.

I realize my trials are inconsequential compared to the serious life issues that so many on this thread deal with which is probably why I have not shared before now.

But I do wish to again thank those who keep this thread going and keep alive my desire to cruise.  We are not yet ready to dip our toes into the virus ridden seas of travel.  

I also wish good thoughts and prayers to all on this thread who can use them.  You folks might not know me but I have definitely gotten to know all of you.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, arzz said:

I realize my trials are inconsequential compared to the serious life issues that so many on this thread deal with which is probably why I have not shared before now.

But I do wish to again thank those who keep this thread going and keep alive my desire to cruise.  We are not yet ready to dip our toes into the virus ridden seas of travel.  

I also wish good thoughts and prayers to all on this thread who can use them.  You folks might not know me but I have definitely gotten to know all of you.

@arzz Welcome to The Fleet Report and Daily! Honestly, I don't think we consider anything inconsequential  here -- some topics are just more consequential than others. Heck, we help each other with cooking, home improvement, pet care, cruising tips, along with thoughtfully embracing each other's joys and sorrows.

Keep dreaming about your return to the sea! You're among good company as many are on hiatus for a multitude of reasons. Personally, the port reports and pictures are helping me add to my bucket list while the 'Good Ship Melisa' is in drydock.

Thanks for your informative first post!

-Melisa

• Like 24

@arzzWe also have the GE side by side and are happy with it.  

I love this thread everyone here is so nice.  Seeing all the different ports and pictures have changed what future cruises I have booked - now if I can only manage to actually go on them it would be wonderful.   Our travel insurance approved our cancellation of the Panama Canal cruise and according to them the 'check is in the mail'.  I have already spent the $$ booking a new Panama Canal cruise for next year - we decided to do a full transit vs the 1/2 way one. It will allow me to see to my friends in San Diego where I used to live.  

• Like 24

46 minutes ago, arzz said:

First I wish to thank everyone on this thread for what a wonderful, warm, fuzzy place this is to come. I usually just lurk here but I cannot get past a day without peeking in and I am so grateful for the fellowship and support that this group demonstrates.  If only the whole world could operate in as friendly and cooperative a fashion as this group manages every day.

Now, a little background.  Late 2019 we decided to consider moving from our noisy downtown high rise to a quieter more suburban/urban environment.  By mid January 2020 we had contracted to purchase a suburban condo a block and a half from their downtown area, and within three weeks we had multiple offers on our downtown condo.  That was all before we really even heard of covid.

By the time our move in date arrived in March of 2020 we were not even certain that we could have our movers come to move us as that day the Governor of Illinois closed the state.  

We had purchased our new home confident that we would be happy there after a few renovations. But due to covid we quarantined and postponed.  Sort of like living in someone else’s home - all the walls were the wrong colors for us (e.g. our kitchen was painted vermillion).  And as we lived there we realized that changing the kitchen counters and backsplash would not deal with the cabinets (doors falling off, hinges exploding …) and many other issues.  Ultimately we would need a new kitchen.

When the vaccine arrived in 2021 we immediately had the floors replaced which was one of the jobs that we knew would have to be done.  New floors made a big difference.

Then we started work on getting a designer and arranging for a new kitchen.  After designs were finalized it took a full 9 months for the cabinets to come in (thank you covid).  Then another three months to get on the contractor’s schedule (thank covid again) and finally, late July 2022, materials were delivered and the project was to begin.  Well, the local permit office was so backed up that their delays added 8 weeks to our renovation time with similar delays by contractors, etc.  It was last week that the kitchen was essentially completed after six and a half months without a kitchen.  We drooled daily at @dfishrecipes but there was little more than take out in our daily menus.

The refrigerator was one of our biggest bugaboos.  The original owners of our unit had replaced their old refrigerator with a new French door LG with a bottom drawer freezer between our first viewing of our unit and our second.  If we had known that they were thinking of doing that we would have told them not to.  I really hated the bottom drawer which is where frozen food goes to hide and die.  The drawer would not stay open so when I needed to dig or rearrange anything in the bottom I needed DH to hold the drawer open.

During the kitchen design process we had picked out a GE side by side but then was steered by the designer and sales person to a Samsung refrigerator with a new design and lots of bells and whistles - sort of like a side by side, and sort of like a French door - it has four doors.  The top section has French doors, the bottom section is like a side by side with two separate doors and two separate compartments.  One side being the freezer and the other side a section that could be freezer or refrigerator.  

Since the project took so long to materialize we thought inventory issues would not figure in - but they did.  We had to replace our choice of cooktops three times due to lack of availability … and when the Samsung refrigerator finally arrived - it did not fit in the space supposedly designed for it in any way.  The Samsung door hinges were not zero clearance hinges and required space to the left and right to open doors that somehow our “designer” missed when drawing up the plans.

We had to pick a new unit from the small amount of inventory available.  We ended up with a GE side by side ironically almost identical to the unit I had originally chosen - and low and behold - not only does it have zero clearance hinges, the vegetable bins in the frig hold more than all three bins in the LG and we still have plenty of shelf and door storage space.  And the freezer is wonderful - organized and I can see everything I have stored.  So much to consider when buying appliances.  

During the refrigerator debacle there was a couple of weeks when we had three refrigerators in our home.  The Samsung has now been returned and the old fridge has been rehomed.

Welcome @arzz.

Lovely post and I'm pleased to hear you are finally settled after moving during the Covid pandemic.

We have been fortunate to have had 8 cruises since cruising resumed and had amazing times on every cruise.

I Hope you soon become comfortable cruising again.

kindest regards.

Graham.

• Like 12

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday. I gave my instant pot to my DD because I just wasn’t using it enough.  And I never made mashed potatoes in it either. Craig is the official mashed potato maker and usually adds Boursin cheese to the mix, similar to adding cream cheese or sour cream. My DM has a recipe for a casserole that is really good at the holidays with an egg in it so it puffs up when cooked in the oven.  I am going to check out the last recipe Debbie @dfishposted with the hamburger gravy. It looks good. 

I had a difficult conversation with my DM last evening. I had called her earlier in the day about an appointment for her CT prior to her appointment with the radiation oncologist. It’s just a semiannual check up. She uses two calendars and got things mixed up. And it didn’t help that I said Thursday March 14th instead of Tuesday March 14th. Oh dear. I know better not to do important things over the phone with her. 

Not much planned for today, doing some laundry, rugs and sheets and towels. The weather is somewhat nice today but looking at the forecast it goes on a roller coaster, up and down. 

• Like 23

@arzz 
Welcome to the Daily.   I'm glad all those recipes gave you something to look forward to when your kitchen was finished.  I remember going through a partial remodel in my old house and it was a month before I could cook again.  I do admire you for moving during Covid.  That must have been very difficult.  

I have a GE side by side.  It is a lot smaller than the Hisense I left behind in Ohio.  That one did have the freezer drawer at the bottom, but it did stay open on its own and was fairly easy for me to find things in.  The one I hated was the bottom freezer with the door that swung open and then came back and bopped me.  I did have to get way down to find what I wanted there.  Sometimes I feel there just isn't enough room in the current fridge although we managed Thanksgiving and Christmas without having to store food in the garage.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

Our portion of the storm arrived late last night, and we really are getting rain. I’m loving it. Today’s activities include making lemon cupcakes for tomorrow’s get together (ladies ministry is having a chili and knitting get together), doing our financials, rounding up tax documents and watching sail away. Also need to start making tropical crepe paper flowers for a tea next month that I’m hosting.  My friend, the guest of honor, requested a Hawaiian theme. She also loves art nouveau and the teen era. As all guests are historical costumers and have teens wear in their closets already, ( and might not have island wear), I’m bending the theme into “Tea in Mucha’s (tropical) Garden”. Is it still considered plagiarism if I use the hibiscus pictures @bennybear posted yesterday? 

Adding to the refrigerator discussion, we have a counter depth Kitchenaid 2 door and like it. It is short on space sometimes. I kept a shelf from the old machine for the fridge and freezer, and they actually fit. That has created more usable space. IF I had it to do over, when we designed the kitchen, I would have set it up for a regular refrigerator to fit ( offsetting the cabinets so they stood out more and engulfed the refrigerator.) We had to go from white appliances to stainless in order to get a quality refrigerator that fit the space.

It’s not plagiarism if you ask and give credit, so please enjoy them!  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I had written a fairly lengthy post only to lose it....in the meantime, dealing with kitten shenanigans and I'm late today.  The funniest (?) was when Smudge, the most mischievous of the two, stuck her head into my coffee cup.  Luckily the coffee wasn't hot, but I don't think she'll do that again, she did NOT like the taste of coffee.  And then Soot ran to her and kept smelling her mouth, wondering what the heck she'd gotten into. 😂  Tomorrow DD will be taking them home, and our 9-day visit will be over until the next time....which could be as soon as next weekend but only a couple days that time.

Like others, I'll take one of the days, and that's Open that Bottle.  It isn't one I've been saving, but is another of my favorite Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs.  I'll pass on the red wine and drink, would like to try Debbie's @dfishlast recipe with the hamburger gravy.  I admit I've never made hamburger gravy.  But tonight will be a roasted chicken from Haggen.  Those always last us several days.  I haven't been to this port, thanks for the great photos!  

I slept well last night too, those nights are always SO much appreciated. 

We got our motorized skylight blind installed yesterday, yay!

Welcome to the Daily @lvhhand @arzz!

Bon Voyage to @Mr. Boston, @RMLincoln, @SusieKIslandGirl, and @Cruisercl!

Annie @marshhawksending lots of gentle hugs to you and Chuck.  I know how hard yesterday was.  Just know you did the right thing and that he lived a long life because of how much care you gave him.  

My refrigerator is a Whirlpool side by side (I also don't like the freezer on the bottom).  It's counter depth and exterior water and ice dispenser.  DD has a freezer under the fridge and I don't know how she finds anything.  I have a hard enough time finding things in my pantry.  😅

The kittens have settled down now, they've decided that this corner of my computer room is a good place to nap.  

nappingspot.jpg.ffc193de1ae946da913d644e56f8d96e.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I am giggling over the fridge conversation, nothing gets the daily going like an appliance!  
@HAL SailerWe much prefer our Counterdepth French door to all our old side by side!  I think it really depends on your kitchen shape and size but our side by side jutted into the room while our counter depth just fits better and things don’t get so buried.  Some of you may remember that our fridge completely died in December and we had to get a new one in 24 hours!  We love the new LG, it looks like @cruising sister photos! 

@marshhawksending my condolences!   I loved your comments on the pandemic.  It has been so nice in Hawaii where most the locals mask and many tourists.   I think it’s the Asian influence and it’s not so political.  I read a really interesting article yesterday that many are grieving since the pandemic and those who still mask remind them it’s not over, causing some of the issues. 

saying aloha to MS Koningsdam. I wish I was heading to Tahiti too! 

22CC03BA-ABED-446D-9856-DF228513DEDA.jpeg

• Like 23

Goodmorning everyone.  @marshhawkso sorry to hear about your kitty, had to give my two a little hug.

Our temporary deep freeze is ending here but a significant snowfall forecast for overnight.  My plans for tomorrow is to stay indoors and watch the snow and catch up on paperwork.

Still trying to decide on a new car for DW.  Was the last day of work for DS yesterday, the last year of 6 day weeks and 12 hr days was just too much for him.  Now what?  

Trying to decide on a shore excurion for May in Ketchikan.  I've already spent way too much on excurions for our next two cruises, but considering a fishing trip for DW, myself, and youngest son. 

Have a great weekend everyone 

• Like 21

Well, I went to the gym again this morning.  This time at 11 and it wasn't terribly busy but while I was there people kept arriving.  Today I managed to add some arm strength equipment to my routine.  I only skipped two of the 14 machines.  More soreness expected tomorrow.💪

2 hours ago, superoma said:

We have snow this morning. Ugh. Dh is shovelling driveway.

to add to the refrigerator discussion. I have a regular depth fridge - it has a nice corner so really doesn’t jut out. But, it is freezer on the bottom and I hate it. We bought it just over a year ago and dh, who never expresses an opinion on appliances, wanted freezer on the bottom so I said ok. I liked my freezer on top because I could see what was in it in nice neat rows when I opened it. Freezer on bottom is just piled up stuff. And I know I can’t get as much in this one as I did in my old one. Anyway, I deal with it and dh is happy he doesn’t have to bend down to get his beer lol

I love the comment about your DH wanting the freezer on the bottom so you agreed.  DH tells me he doesn't care for the bottom freezer only but it is what it is.  But it brings to mind the fact that my DH picked the color of our cabinets and insisted we get the black granite with flecks in it.  Since I picked so many other things I agreed to go with his choices.  Now he agrees with me that "we" should have chosen another color scheme.🤷‍♀️  We could change out the granite and have the cabinets painted but that's a lot of trouble.  So we just live with it.  Someday!

2 hours ago, tupper10 said:

I must weigh in on the refrigerator discussion, when we built our new retirement home everyone told us to get the french door refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom.  I opted for the side to side and I am very glad I did. We have an inexpensive top freezer refrigerator in the garage.  If you have any sort of hip, knee, back issues my recommendation is to not get a bottom freezer.  

Marshhawk - what a sad day yesterday but you know that your beloved pet is now in a better place.  

All of us need to recognize that we need to take the time to care for ourselves so we can care for others.  Sending healing thoughts to all.

I'm happy to hear you made the right decision for your needs, a side by side.  Up to this house, we put side by sides in all our kitchens.  Last two houses had side by sides with wood panels installed to match the cabinets (units for Graham).  We have had a spare fridge in our homes since about 1980.  The spare one I have now has been in service since 1996 and it's an Amana.  Plenty of room for beer, wine, extra juice, bottled water, etc.  Then we definitely need the extra freezer space it provides.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Now, I can take my time commenting on the remaining posts.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I forgot to add that I'm glad your DH is tolerating the eye drops better.  I wonder if the change of scenery could be part of the reason since you may have gotten away from some pollen that was causing the problem.  Just a guess.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, enjoy your visit to Las Vegas.  We've had to cancel our bookings several times over the past three years because we were still not comfortable during the worst of the pandemic.  Now, our favorite hotel has been sold and the offers we're getting for the other hotels in that group are not nearly as good.  The trip sounds like it will be good for you before you tackle the taxes and your DS estate.

@superoma  Eva, when we replaced our refrigerator several years ago, we got one with the freezer on the bottom because there were no side-by-sides that were big enough to fit the space.  I try to arrange the food in the bottom, but that only lasts a few days.  

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad you have heat and that the furnace was fixed promptly yesterday.  Enjoy you new, faster computer.

@marshhawk  Annie, you were smart to keep busy yesterday after such an emotional morning.  Remind Chuck that the vet who wants to cure all the pets said it was time for Neko to cross the Rainbow Bridge.  ((((HUGS))))

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I'm glad you are giving yourself a day or two to relax while you recover emotionally from the last six months.

@MISTER 67  It was good to see you here again.  A belated HAPPY 77TH BIRTHDAY!

@ottahand7  Nancy, first thank you for the pictures, especially the one with the rainbow.  I'm sorry about the medical emergency, and the diner who's roommate was being tested for Covid.  Please wear your masks and stay well.  😷

Our refrigerator is is not a counter depth but it is next to the pantry so from that side it looks like counter depth.  On the other side it does stick out from the counter, but it is not a problem.  I like the French doors and we have water in ice in the door.  I just wish the ice container would hold more ice, and we opted to not get the second ice maker in the freezer since most of the time we need the space and not the extra ice.  BTW, ours is a GE.

Lenda

We've had GE appliances in the past, too.  Quite reliable as I recall.  

@4966and556I am glad you said what you did regarding the Pandemic,  I am absolutely amazed at what some people say to me when I call trying to sell them tickets to the arts.  The wont support the art institution because they were asked to wear masks two years ago.  And then tell me -we are the only country that wears masks, and they wont..  Or America is the only country with social distancing issues, or that other countries don't believe that boosters and vaccines are necessary.  What rock are these people living under.???  I refer to the pandemic as the time the world stopped being the way that it was.  Truly the day the music ( at least live) died.  It is very hard to get the arts resurrected. 

@StLouisCruisersSandi thank you for the kind words.  I told the other cats that the job of office manager was open.  I had two applicants, neither will work.  Furnando came in, jumped on both key boards, and refused to get off the path finder key board,  He must be IT, so that was a no, and Tazi came in and climbed in the the old file box, and started shredding paper.  Told her the office was looking for a manager, not a clean up crew.  Irving did come in, and curled up to sleep on Neko's pillow, since they had been together since we got him, he is the only cat who actually notices that she is missing.  And Bob has not applied for the job at all. So it may be quite a while until we have another office manager.  Fawn and Bubbles are not acceptable applicants.

Sounds like Irving might be the next office manager.  I've never had a cat for a pet so didn't realize they like boxes and shredding paper until I heard all these cat stories from everyone.  Especially interesting about the boxes.  I guess that's why everyone says their cats jump in the suitcase as soon as their humans begin packing for a trip/cruise.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Thanks for the photos of Aarhus and the surrounding area.  The living museum concept is used in Colonial Williamsburg.

52 minutes ago, arzz said:

Arzz, I think I remember you've been here before.  Welcome back!  I award you worst renovation story on the Daily thus far.  Terri's @Cruzin Terri was bad but didn't stretch out quite as long. 🥇

19 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

@arzzWe also have the GE side by side and are happy with it.  

I love this thread everyone here is so nice.  Seeing all the different ports and pictures have changed what future cruises I have booked - now if I can only manage to actually go on them it would be wonderful.   Our travel insurance approved our cancellation of the Panama Canal cruise and according to them the 'check is in the mail'.  I have already spent the $$ booking a new Panama Canal cruise for next year - we decided to do a full transit vs the 1/2 way one. It will allow me to see to my friends in San Diego where I used to live.  

Thank you for your compliments on this thread.  It's a team project and we hope everyone gains something from reading it every day.

• Like 17