New CEO of Celebrity Interesting but happy they stay within for promotions.

bikerunner

44 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

A few people have mentioned the IT team. I know at least one thing they're going to have to change, and fairly soon...Screenshot_20230406-163440.thumb.png.177fb63871d67d6c43cff02852e240a8.png

People here have been saying that for years and it is still terrible.  

3 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Should we take bets on whether the IT department will improve!

Isn't that a shared service across RCG? If so, why would a change at X have any impact?

• Like 3

Some serious COVID burnout at the top? 

Since early 2022 Richard Fain left RGC, Arnold Donald left Carnival Corp, Frank Del Rio is leaving NCL Holdings, Lisa Lutoff Perlo leaves Celebrity, Roberto Martinoli left Silversea (but stayed with RCG in a similar capacity to LLP), and both Regent and Oceania have new presidents. 

• Like 5

I look at this change from a high level. If you’re trying to evaluate it based on some operational decisions, I think you’re missing the boat tbh. 

Celebrity has positioned itself very well and has taken a commanding lead over its rivals in the premium space. It’s got a very large fleet with new ships coming on line almost every year, it’s parent is in the best shape financially of its competitors, and it’s got a great handle on service coming out of Covid. 

The outgoing President has an incredible work history at RC that spans over many years. She worked her way thru the company and has it where it is today. Congratulations to her!

Promoting from within makes me feel that all of RC is in a good place. The team has done a good job and wants to build people over several years to eventually lead the company. It’s refreshing that they didn’t go outside the company with this move. I expect more of the same, meaning more of the things that have separated Celebrity from its competitors. 

Do I think everything is perfect? Of course not. There’s plenty of things I’d like to see changed but that can be said about most anything. 

Here’s to continuing to see Celebrity lead and expand its lead in the market!

Edited by LetsGoToo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Sure, you get $10 wifi and I get overcharged by $3600.....

When life gives you lemon...This is a credit card point churn opportunity...Whichever credit card they charged, lock it  and when you speak to X about the refund request they refund a different card.  That way you get to keep the gained credit cards points/miles/cashback/etc

• Thanks 1

Too late for that game. I sent an email to the TA within minutes of seeing including pdfs of the charge and the original invoice. He called me within 15 minutes with apologies and a promise that tge refund was being explicated by X.    He also added a bit of extra OBCfrom the agency.  Now it is wait and see when tge refund.  Thankfully the TA was very good about not even submitting the payment to X until I was in a new billing cycle so now it is a waiting game.  

This is Lisa’s goodbye letter if interested (sorry no idea why that cut off)

I wanted to personally share the news with you of my decision to transition into a new role at the Royal Caribbean Group, effective May 1st. As I prepare to ultimately retire from the company in April of 2024, I decided the time was right to turn Celebrity over to a new leader. It has always been incredibly difficult for me to imagine leaving this amazing brand. But, I also knew the time would come when I would have to make that decision.

As I think back on an unexpectedly extraordinary and nearly 40-year career and journey, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to you for your passionate and unwavering support of this brand. We wouldn’t be the strong, resilient, and remarkable brand we are today without each and every one of you and your unwavering loyalty.

You have been the wind in our sails to take this brand to new heights – from the expansion of our Millennium Series ships to the beautiful Solstice Series ships and, ultimately, the launch of our innovative and transformational Edge Series ships. You were at the forefront of our minds as we strived to return to service, with Celebrity Edge ultimately being the first ship to sail out of a US port with many of you onboard; and, with your support, we were able to return our fleet to service within one year and we are once again on our way to a very bright future.

With every new ship and every new experience, our North Star has been to deliver you the best vacation experience you can get anywhere in the world. Having the Forbes Travel Guide recently bestow its first-ever coveted stars in the industry on our ships, further demonstrates how seriously we take our commitment to you.

And, we’re not stopping. Our next new relaxed luxury resort at sea, Celebrity Ascent, launches later this year with everything you loved about Celebrity Beyond and the entire Edge Series, and stay tuned for a few new surprises for you with the delivery of Edge V.

Our incredible crew remains at your service always and looks forward to welcoming you aboard for your next sailing.

As Jacques Cousteau once said, “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”

I will forever feel its wonder and will always consider it my great honor and privilege to have been on this journey with all of you. Now, in my new role as Vice Chair, External Relations for the Royal Caribbean Group, I will remain a passionate advocate for the brand, our company, and the industry.

For now, I wish you fair winds and following seas as you sail forward with us.

Forever grateful,

LLP, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises

LLP
President & CEO, Celebrity Cruises
Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LetsGoToo said:

I look at this change from a high level. If you’re trying to evaluate it based on some operational decisions, I think you’re missing the boat tbh. 

Celebrity has positioned itself very well and has taken a commanding lead over its rivals in the premium space. It’s got a very large fleet with new ships coming on line almost every year, it’s parent is in the best shape financially of its competitors, and it’s got a great handle on service coming out of Covid. 

The outgoing President has an incredible work history at RC that spans over many years. She worked her way thru the company and has it where it is today. Congratulations to her!

Promoting from within makes me feel that all of RC is in a good place. The team has done a good job and wants to build people over several years to eventually lead the company. It’s refreshing that they didn’t go outside the company with this move. I expect more of the same, meaning more of the things that have separated Celebrity from its competitors. 

Do I think everything is perfect? Of course not. There’s plenty of things I’d like to see changed but that can be said about most anything. 

You can't say it much better than that. Despite the imperfections that have resulted in many negative comments, and minor desertions from the X brand, it is still a successful enterprise. And although you may not have been a fan of LLP, give the new lady a chance to do her thing. It still won't be perfect for everyone, but then again, we wouldn't know what to do with perfect and many CC folks would have nothing to write about

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I wanted to personally share the news with you of my decision to transition into a new role at the Royal Caribbean Group, effective May 1st. As I prepare to ultimately retire from the company in April of 2024, I decided the time was right to turn Celebrity over to a new leader. It has always been incredibly difficult for me to imagine leaving this amazing brand. But, I also knew the time would come when I would have to make that decision.

As I think back on an unexpectedly extraordinary and nearly 40-year career and journey, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to you for your passionate and unwavering support of this brand. We wouldn’t be the strong, resilient, and remarkable brand we are today without each and every one of you and your unwavering loyalty.

You have been the wind in our sails to take this brand to new heights – from the expansion of our Millennium Series ships to the beautiful Solstice Series ships and, ultimately, the launch of our innovative and transformational Edge Series ships. You were at the forefront of our minds as we strived to return to service, with Celebrity Edge ultimately being the first ship to sail out of a US port with many of you onboard; and, with your support, we were able to return our fleet to service within one year and we are once again on our way to a very bright future.

With every new ship and every new experience, our North Star has been to deliver you the best vacation experience you can get anywhere in the world. Having the Forbes Travel Guide recently bestow its first-ever coveted stars in the industry on our ships, further demonstrates how seriously we take our commitment to you.

And, we’re not stopping. Our next new relaxed luxury resort at sea, Celebrity Ascent, launches later this year with everything you loved about Celebrity Beyond and the entire Edge Series, and stay tuned for a few new surprises for you with the delivery of Edge V.

Our incredible crew remains at your service always and looks forward to welcoming you aboard for your next sailing.

As Jacques Cousteau once said, “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”

I will forever feel its wonder and will always consider it my great honor and privilege to have been on this journey with all of you. Now, in my new role as Vice Chair, External Relations for the Royal Caribbean Group, I will remain a passionate advocate for the brand, our company, and the industry.

Forever grateful,

LLP

Congrats to Lisa and here's to the customers celebrating a wonderful career! Happy Retirement (in 2024)!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Seems like she has the title of President.

Totally inconsequential as the CFO runs Celebrity anyways.  More of a figure head than a mover and shaker.

Many of the decisions they have made lately have been erratic at best.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Adios LLP.  Your decision to eliminate traditional balconies on the E-class ships for non-suite guests has sent me to other cruise lines and ended my loyalty to Celebrity.

Very true, and that was just one of many poor decisions and bad communications by LLP.  Yes, some of us loyal X customers are getting older, but that doesn’t mean you communicate your desire to throw us overboard for a new woke group of hipsters.  That really soured my taste for LLP, and X overall.  We still have the time and we still have the money! I’ve had numerous other bones to pick with her, but won’t get into them now.

I truly hope the new X President steers the ship back to it’s previous market position of a premium cruise line.  one that I would feel good about spending my time and money with.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, LetsGoToo said:

Celebrity has positioned itself very well and has taken a commanding lead over its rivals in the premium space. 

I don't agree and much more important, their rivals don't agree and are actively attempting to make sure that it's never true. I like the Celebrity brand, what I've seen of it, but to assign them a commanding lead over Princess, HAL, VV, and others, is a stretch, IMHO.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Forever grateful,

LLP

Thanks for sharing this. I thought her new position sounded awfully vague, as if she or RCG wanted her to stick around until X date for whatever reason, but not in a clear operational role. Her announced retirement date makes everything make sense to me.

P.S. I'm quite interested to see what and when the arrangements for the President's cruise change. We'll see what happens.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Seems like she has the title of President.

If it’s only that and not President and CEO like Lutoff-Perlo then it’s essentially a downgraded position which means Royal will be taking more control. Reading between the lines that means things at Celebrity are not going how Royal wants and they are increasing control to exert more influence. This would also mean it was not LLP’s choice to leave her position.

What I have to wonder is what do they feel is not working with Celebrity the way they want? Are they concerned by the increasing level of customer dissatisfaction which has been mainly in response to cutbacks? Or is it solely about the bottom line and they just still don’t have enough money and plan on further increasing prices and making more cutbacks? The cynic in me immediately jumps to the latter…

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Like 3

A different look, the pandemic took a toll on many heads of cruise lines and other businesses. 

LLP is 65 and maybe, just like a lot of us, she is ready to retire and enjoy life.  Heck I was ready to retire long before 65, you?

The Retreat seems to be a home run, selling out on most sailings at very high prices.

The E class ships are beautiful and many things that early Edge cruisers complained about were changed or improved on the next ships (rockers in SS, no shade at Sunset bar, frosted glass on the IV folding doors, no shade on the Retreat Sun Deck).  She listened and changed things that didn’t work.  
Drink packages were a great thing for many of us. 
Her staff was responsive and listened and helped when things just were wrong for an individual.  

She has championed for change and supported women and the LBGT community. 
New younger cruisers are sailing, on E class. which is necessary to keep the brand going. cuz us oldies won’t be around forever.

We wish LLP well as she moves on and offer Thanks for many great  cruises.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

You can't say it much better than that. Despite the imperfections that have resulted in many negative comments, and minor desertions from the X brand, it is still a successful enterprise. And although you may not have been a fan of LLP, give the new lady a chance to do her thing. It still won't be perfect for everyone, but then again, we wouldn't know what to do with perfect and many CC folks would have nothing to write about

Our new company president is taking over an organization with bookings continuing at record levels.  Will be interesting to see how things evolve over the next year.

All the other brand presidents have a CEO title. The 8-K filing today only announced LLP's position change and salary information with nothing on Laura Hodges Bethge move to Celebrity. I'll hold off until May 1st to see what they actually file with the SEC as far as titles are concerned. I wouldn't read anything into the press release unless a real change is confirmed with an SEC filing.

Since Celebrity isn't a publicly traded company in its own right, we'll probably never know how healthy or unhealthy it is financially. But the CEO of RCG and the brand presidents answer to the board of directors, who answer to stockholders, and RCG hasn't paid a dividend in three years and RCG's own 10-K for 2022 shows a three year downward trend in stock prices. Horrible compared to the S&P and parallel to the Dow Jones Travel and Leisure, but lower. Stockholders and the board are going to be looking to raise revenue and cut expenses to pay investors. Or sell. (Always the alternative exit strategy...)

Record bookings of high margin cabins (Retreat) may help in the long run. Complaints about cutbacks in the face of record high margin bookings may not even get on the agenda of the board...

4 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Interesting timing of the announcement. A few months ago, I speculated that it's soon time for LLP to step aside as Celebrity CEO. That was quick!

In January it seemed like there was mismanagement to a large degree...

Make large cuts and make the cruisers unhappy and then take 80% of them back several months later...

What successful business does that?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

If it’s only that and not President and CEO like Lutoff-Perlo then it’s essentially a downgraded position which means Royal will be taking more control. Reading between the lines that means things at Celebrity are not going how Royal wants and they are increasing control to exert more influence. This would also mean it was not LLP’s choice to leave her position.

What I have to wonder is what do they feel is not working with Celebrity the way they want? Are they concerned by the increasing level of customer dissatisfaction which has been mainly in response to cutbacks? Or is it solely about the bottom line and they just still don’t have enough money and plan on further increasing prices and making more cutbacks? The cynic in me immediately jumps to the latter…

Considering that their background was product development I would expect a focus on that direction.

Wouldn't the new President have been as involved or more in the recent years in company activities as LLP?

FWIW-on Apex tonight and everyone seems to be having a great time.  Adult night of the comedian was packed to the hallway (and he was edgy in a good way), people are living out their karaoke dreams with a live backing band, martini bartenders are doing their thing, kids camp had well over 20 families at the destination gateway family night (and resilient counselors), ship is clean, pizza has been excellent, plenty of sugar pastries, pools have been largely empty by 5 pm, and crew is upbeat and recalling peoples first names, and more.  (We also got lip balm, plus son got to meet the magician Jessica Jane, which was a priceless experience for a youngster).  People paid good money for this, but the experience is available tip to tip or Eden to the Retreat doors (gym excluded)).  It is a resort at sea, with certain amenities given thought (e.g., friendly faces at ports offering a cold towel and fresh chilled water,  a good staffing ratio, etc.), and a seemingly happy crew that is making an effort.  Slippage may make it less than competitive with real world vacations (not sure how other cruise lines can compete without rethinking their overall experieince and disjointed ship designs).  Hopefully the new President and Liberty can figure out how to keep it going (and expand the hours of Eden Cafe).

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't agree and much more important, their rivals don't agree and are actively attempting to make sure that it's never true. I like the Celebrity brand, what I've seen of it, but to assign them a commanding lead over Princess, HAL, VV, and others, is a stretch, IMHO.

I’m what way? Celebrity has newer ships, more ships, better food, and better service. Plus, it’s in a much more strong financial position than Carnival or Virgin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, LetsGoToo said:

Very good comment as for one have been very pleased with my last two cruises with Celebrity.
It took me 55 cruises 🚢 on almost all the mainstream lines before saying this cruise line Celebrity Is the brand that is the must suitable for me now.

They must be doing something right as it took me a long long time before deciding on a favorite line. Is it perfect of course not but I think they are ahead of the mainstream cruise lines. 

Sea Ya 

Eric

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1