The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 7th, 2023

Good Friday

Today is Caramel Popcorn Day, International Beaver Day, and National Beer Day

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.--Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Swordfish with Tomatoes and Oregano
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark Manhattan
Wine of the Day - Oberon Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley, California
Destination of the Day - Saint John NB, New Brunswick Canada

Eurodam

Ocho Rios, Jamacia

Koningsdam

Dry Dock Vigor Ship Yard until 4/12

Nieuw Amsterdam

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 08:00-14:00

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

New York City, New York d16:00

Volendam

Bridgetown, Barbados 08:00-18:00

Zaandam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 07:00 - 15:00

Zuiderdam

Tangier, Morocco, Tanger-Ville 08:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Sydney, NSW Australia 07:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

At Sea destination Kobe/Osaka depart16:00 4-08 

image.thumb.png.c0b1ef59ea4cb8b75b9d862cb356bb0c.png

image.thumb.png.8d8104c2ae61550d6025eee7220395ad.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  Well, I haven't looked outside but it's supposed to be 66 now with cloudy skies and a high of 77F.  I saw occasional rain showers listed on my app for various times during the day and evening.  🌧️  I see some large storms to the west and northwest of us.

Thanks to our leader Rich @richwmn for today's Fleet Report and Daily.  I hope you're having a very good time visiting Tangier, Morocco today.  I have never been there before so will be checking out your (and the other) Live From threads.  Besides it being Good Friday today we have quite a selection of days to celebrate.  Caramel popcorn day, International Beaver Day, and National Beer Day.  Caramel popcorn is fine but I don't go out of my way to find some.  Probably not good for my dental work.  Thank goodness beavers aren't seen around our parts because we have enough critters running around (or slithering around).  National Beer Day.  Well, since DH used to work in the beer business that should be a popular one here.  This week has decided to change his preferred beer and make another beer his preferred beer.  Some of you may have decided the same thing, others not.  Maybe it will be Dos Equis next time we buy beer.  He also likes Guinness Foreign Extra Stout but it is hard to find here and a bit expensive.  Discovered it on a recent cruise.

I like the quote and the grilled swordfish should be popular but I would decline it.  Makers Mark Manhattan should do well at the bars and the Sauvignon Blanc sounds good, too.  The port of the day is once again Saint John, New Brunswick Canada.  We can all be confused on the St. or the Saint, the John or the Johns, Newfoundland or New Brunswick.  This one is the one near Jacqui @kazu.  I will post the links to the last two times it was posted here, on November 19, 2021 and December 15, 2022.  I personally have not visited Saint John so have no photos to share today.

I hope some of you can show us what Saint John is like.  Jacqui @kazu posted some information and provided photos for us on Nov. 19, 2021, post #13 FYI.

Prayers for all today on the Care list and many people who are suffering around the world.  Hoping that Annie's @marshhawk tests for her adrenal gland tumor turn out well today.  We will keep her in our prayers! 🙏  As for the Celebration list, three cheers for those experiencing happy events and wonderful cruises.  A special shout out to the FC Dallas team winning their 4th game this week.  Today is the semi-final against a huge rival, Solar.  Wish them luck!  Safe travels to Gerry and DH @ger_77.🎉🥂

Wishing everyone a safe, happy and Fantastic Friday!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Sandi for introducing today's Daily reports.

Happy Good Friday and Easter to you Sandi and all Dailyites who celebrate Easter.

For years Beer has been my favourite drink.

Beaver protection is important.

Prayers 🙏 to those on our care list to get better quickly.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230407_102604.jpg

Screenshot_20230407_103606.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Today’s Care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

Tupper10 recovering from back surgery

RMLincoln’s EMT friend’s DH passing

Cruising-along and DH testing positive for Covid

AncientWanderer recovering from “the crud”

Luvteaching’s DH in the hospital

Everyone affected by storms and tornados

Nashville school shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Jacqui with post-surgery elbow issues

Tana’s pulmonary issues

NextOne needing valve surgery

Summer slope’s friend with a brain injury

Marshhawk having adrenal gland test

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Passover to those who celebrate

RMLincoln’s DH with good eye surgeon report and restrictions lifted

Tupper10’s new baby granddaughter!

Ger_77 trip to visit family

Luvteaching’s DH showing slow improvement

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

2 Days for aliaschief & DWAliaschief (Eurodam 4/9 to 4/28)

Mister 67 (Celebrity Reflection to 4/9), GTVCRUISER (Norwegian Jewel to 4/9). Cruzn Single (Rotterdam to 4/19), Vict0riann (Rotterdam to 4/19) Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Another cool day here, I hope we see some sunshine.  I'll take Bertie for a walk in a little while, then we'll hit the road for a visit with my mom.

Happy Good Friday to those that celebrate Easter.  I love caramel popcorn, haven't made it in ages.  The beaver is a symbol of Canada.  I'm not much of a beer drinker, but others are.  Please enjoy but don't overindulge.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink and the wine.

We haven't been to Saint John in years, we should go back.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations, no matter how small.

@grapau27 Thank you for that lovely Easter greeting.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

TGIF and I expect most of us will be celebrating Good Friday, Passover, or Ramadan.  I'll pass on the other 3 days but celebrate Bach and love the quote.  I've been to Saint John a few times.  It's also the Orioles Home Opener and a celebration of the opening of Baltimore's new arena.  The home opener was supposed to be yesterday but postponed due to expected storms which probably would have held off until after the game (forecast for 2PM but actually did not happen until almost 7).  Today will be calm but with a high of about 60.  I'll pass on the Swordfish.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Zaandam April 6, 2017:

dishes07.jpg

Roy

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC and JV!

Starting with caramel popcorn day, my favorite popcorn.

International Beaver Day. When a beaver built a dam on a small stream on my property back in the late 1950’s and made a small lake when the water backed up I said to the Misses, “Leave it to Beaver” to do that, and the rest was history.

Finally National Beer Day. And what beer does RNB drink.

546D30B7-72D0-4272-86F3-0A90E1A49780.thumb.png.a0a9be4943dea09c8c284910d1c6ecca.png

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 24
  • Haha 9

Thanks for the daily report with a nice collection of days.  I’ve loved caramel popcorn since I was little and would smell it being freshly made at Oakland Mall in Detroit.  Go beavers, you’re always busy and was the name of my patrol in Boy Scouts.  Here’s to national beer day 🍺.  The meal suggestion sounds very tasty and I would almost never pass up a Makers Mark Manhattan. I haven’t been to today’s port but I hope to soon.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for all of us.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  

• Like 24

Good Friday and Good Friday morning Dailyites!

Just about to head out in the dark for the next round of tests.  I love swordfish, but with a bit of butter. Not a big fan of cooked tomatoes, however will check out recipes.

@grapau27is absolutely correct about protecting the beaver.  In England the beavers were all gone by the time Henry the 8th had completed his wardrobe.  They have been reintroduced in England, and are really helping out by redirecting waterways, cutting down on land flooding, and actually cleaning waterways.  Just think if we had more unpaid environmentalists, how much better our own waterways would look.  And Graham, thanks for the (i think) Jackie Lawson) card. 

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I like caramel popcorn but haven’t had any in awhile. I could celebrate National Beer day once the work day is over, we have some Medalla in the fridge.  We’ve been to today’s port once and enjoyed the Ride on the Rapids excursion, one of the best we’ve done through HAL.  We should have been there next month but the port was cancelled.  Hopefully we will get there in July on the Zaandam.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but may get Chinese takeout instead.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.4a75c00637229d0ca62243afde613967.png

• Like 18
  • Haha 10

Good morning, everyone!

Today is supposed to be a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan with sunny skies and temps near 50.  I'll do my walk and then I'm taking DB to the grocery store.  Nothing else planned for the day.

Today's meal looks really, really good.  Swordfish provides an excellent source of selenium, a micronutrient that offers important cancer-fighting and heart health benefits. It is protein-rich and loaded with niacin, vitamin B12, zinc and Omega-3. Best of all, it's low in fat and calories. Swordfish is also a guilt-free choice.  So, let's all have swordfish!

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-swordfish-with-tomatoes-and-oregano

grilledswordfish1.jpg.b64abd09de2dfb79284a79f9cc721a24.jpg

This one is very similar with slightly different aspects.  https://www.italianfoodforever.com/2019/07/grilled-swordfish-with-oregano/

grilledswordfish2.jpg.f889fb479a9c5a81ccfa2bbadcdb7717.jpg

The tomatoes aren't cooked, Annie @marshhawk.   If Sue would get the gas canister for the grill from her son, I would make this today.  This last one is very similar with some differences in the sauce to pour over it.  https://feedthesoulblog.com/seared-swordfish-tomato-oregano-relish/

grilledswordfish3.jpg.f147ab9ddb59738df6c35ac23f0e4ea5.jpg

So, enjoy dinner and be healthy!   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

We have been to today's port but not on a cruise.  Stayed at a Hilton on the Bay of Fundy on Canada Day and got to see the fireworks.  So exciting.

Makers Mark Manhattan cocktail:

Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
2 1/2 ounces Maker's Mark bourbon
1/2 ounce French sweet vermouth, preferably Dolin Rouge
2 dashes Fee Brothers cherry bitters
4 to 5 drops maraschino cherry juice
Ice
1 Maraschino cherry, for garnish

Directions
Step 1 In a mixing glass, combine the bourbon, sweet vermouth, bitters and maraschino cherry juice. Fill the mixing glass with ice and stir well. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with the maraschino cherry.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 7.28.03 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 11

Thank you Sandi for getting us started & all the work you do to share Port of the day pictures! Rich thanks to you for making sure the R & D continues while you tour the World. 

Vanessa thank you for so diligently capturing what is happening with us ! A bit of a marine layer & fog this morning. Last night’s Pink Moonrise was spectacular! Almost as bright as a sunrise!

33330F8F-E4C2-43F3-9690-932B09234C77.thumb.jpeg.bb65840e84d3c4674422817888f78e74.jpeg

Thank you Graham for the cute Easter video, @grapau27

Off to the gym. Then Bindi walks & chores. 🤞🏻 that I get a call from my local nursery that my last group of plants have arrived. Tomorrow is planting day! Maybe some pool time. 

BB5A2CAE-61BB-4179-B065-82DB659C2A21.jpeg.c240df46d87d216ca9da43915ed16b4b.jpeg

For all the cat lovers touring the US, who need “a purr fix”…

E90899ED-FC4C-40C5-8EB0-0FC3F95C0520.jpeg.9ddf924410c431b66dbde9f29a3d8da0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Good luck Ren & the entire FC Dallas team! Get well & stay well everyone!

Oberon 2020 Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley, California

This Sauvignon Blanc has very good reviews from consumers and at least one critic. I used the 2020 info, since that should be easiest to find. Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $15.99.

Winemaker Notes

Bright natural acidity with layered fresh flavors of green apple, tart kiwi, pear, and melon. "With each vintage, we want Oberon Sauvignon Blanc to show bright natural acidity and fresh flavors. We also want an underlying richness and complexity that balances the wine and adds fullness and length," says winemaker Tony Coltrin.

Critical Acclaim

WW89
Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
COMMENTARY: The 2020 Oberon Sauvignon Blanc is well-made and focused. TASTING NOTES: This wine exhibits aromas and flavors of dried earth, ripe fruit, and chalk. Enjoy it with grilled oysters. (Tasted: February 3, 2022, San Francisco, CA)
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

Hello everyone,

A blessed Good Friday to Christians who participate; it is a somber culmination to Holy Week.

In my family’s Polish traditions, we also participate in a food basket blessing as part of our Easter celebration.

The food blessing is conducted at our church on Holy Saturday.

It is called Święconka, meaning "the blessing of the Easter baskets", is one of the most enduring and beloved Polish traditions on Holy Saturday during Easter. With roots dating back to the early history of Poland, it is also observed by expatriate and their descendants Poles in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden and other Polish communities in the world.

The foods in the baskets have a symbolic meaning:

·         eggs - symbolise life and Christ's resurrection

·         bread - symbolic of Jesus

·         lamb - represents Christ

·         salt - represents purification

·         horseradish - symbolic of the bitter sacrifice of Christ

·         ham - symbolic of great joy and abundance

We also add other things we believe are important to our Easter, i.e. wine, candy, fruit.

Hope everyone has a really good weekend and a festive Easter (for those that celebrate).

Here in MN we should have, finally, some semblance of Spring, AT LAST, over the WE.

Prayers for all; take good care.

Caron 🐇🐣💐

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

A friend in Israel considers it auspicious that today is the second day of Passover AND Good Friday AND a Friday in Ramadan (Friday being the top day of worship for Muslims).

Easter-Passover-Ramadan.jpg.900b2f06b57ee8c91cae4b0b5dae0885.jpg

No beer for me until this time next week. I would like the swordfish, and the wine. I'd probably also like the cocktail, but I don't know where I could get cherry bitters. I have been to Saint John, New Brunswick. Potato crisps (chips) in the city market:

IMG_20181023_155042.thumb.jpg.84dc5a33f70c76d6ef8d102955f7bd98.jpg

Second-night seder last night at the synagogue. The Sisterhood went all-out with the menu and the brisket flowed freely. The ritual was more than a bit odd, with a new haggadah from a progressive group that added lots of new stuff, such as not only the ten Biblical plagues, but also ten modern plagues, and an extremely long skit read by 13 unrehearsed members. A hand mic was passed around and everyone present had to read a part of the rest of the seder, but half the people didn't speak into the microphone and were inaudible. The synagogue served only sweet Concord wine, but allows bringing other kosher wine. I brought two bottles of kosher Pinot Noir from Austria, and a friend brought a Moscato, which we shared among a group of six or so friends.

DowntonTabby.jpg.9764a9e958af176f5d0f97d80fd802cd.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Although some Catholic dioceses permitted corned beef on St. Patrick's Day, bishops aren't allowing hot dogs for MLB opening day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2023/04/06/good-friday-meat-mlb/

The ball-park concession stands probably also don't have matzah, not that you can wrap a matzah around a hot dog, anyway.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good morning! Our last day of prepping for our trip. It will be an early morning as our ride to airport begins at 4:30 AM for a 6:00 AM flight. Maybe! There is quite a bit of rain forecasted for here and Atlanta. @JazzyVThanks for the daily countdown reminders. On our cruise will get to reunite with @KirkinNC and spouse and will have much to discuss as we are both booked on next years Azamara 155 day World Cruise.

Tonight, most likely will be pizza delivery to keep it simple and early to bed.

Thanks to all who make the Daily a special place to visit and share our daily lives. Depending on WiFi will try and stay in touch during the next 20+ days.

image.jpeg.e695dd53b2d40ed2574897dbc0814483.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ad8ff6659498078035b677d1b75839ae.jpegimage.jpeg.cbcdb5fa69a4fdf36171a54a97af622c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b3051e0e7f60f917d87d629ede3d871b.jpegimage.thumb.png.d109cf3a91b01d5532cd21c32841a4e2.pngimage.jpeg.4b910fdb6456bde600bc4dd1f5fc0d73.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Good morning all!  Couldn’t see the moonrise here last night, clouds and rain, so thanks for the moonrise pics!  Grew up on Manhattans!  It’ll be salmon or crabcakes tonight not swordfish but they look great Debbie!  

Have only driven through St John NB. I remember being very relieved that the toll taker accepted my US dollar at the bridge because we hadn’t stopped since crossing the border. Canadians are so nice!  Oh 🇨🇦 I often wish I were born there!  

@RedneckBob great to see your imagination gracing us today. Wishing you a better day today.  Our NM mountain home was on Beaver Trail. DH saw a beaver up there once, I never did, maybe it was lost, too far from the creek.  But there were beaver ponds below us (like 4 miles and 800 feet below us) all along the creek. They made dams to deepen the ponds to store their wood for winter food (Aspen logs) and build their lodges for protection. Their ponds were excellent for trout fishing. 

Graham @grapau27 beautiful “painting” e-card. Thanks for bring it to us. Wish I could share it but it doesn’t seem to copy. But I have shared the Beer Day explanation 🍺 with friends who’ll appreciate it. 

@kochleffel Thanks for sharing your unusual Seder experience. Nice you could bring your own wine to take the edge off some of the rest of it. A church in my deeper history back when I lived in Albuquerque always had a Seder on Tuesday of Holy Week. It was a great event that I have missed having in my life the last few decades. My journey goes on in new paths. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. 

Happy celebrations to all those amidst sacred days. 

Cheers to all celebrating life’s milestones 🍾 Life is Good!  You remind us of this on our tougher days!  

Smooth travels to those away from home, and smooth seas to all the cruisers. Enjoy it all.

Hoping we hear @cruisin sister made it home, or will soon 🙏

GO REN 🥅!  

Maureen 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Our last day of prepping for our trip. It will be an early morning as our ride to airport begins at 4:30 AM for a 6:00 AM flight. Maybe! There is quite a bit of rain forecasted for here and Atlanta. @JazzyVThanks for the daily countdown reminders. On our cruise will get to reunite with @KirkinNC and spouse and will have much to discuss as we are both booked on next years Azamara 155 day World Cruise.

Tonight, most likely will be pizza delivery to keep it simple and early to bed.

Thanks to all who make the Daily a special place to visit and share our daily lives. Depending on WiFi will try and stay in touch during the next 20+ days.

image.jpeg.e695dd53b2d40ed2574897dbc0814483.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ad8ff6659498078035b677d1b75839ae.jpegimage.jpeg.cbcdb5fa69a4fdf36171a54a97af622c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b3051e0e7f60f917d87d629ede3d871b.jpegimage.thumb.png.d109cf3a91b01d5532cd21c32841a4e2.pngimage.jpeg.4b910fdb6456bde600bc4dd1f5fc0d73.jpeg

Have no clue how partial favorites page got into this post?😡

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

Good Friday morning and this is also Good Friday.   We have beautiful sunny weather but had a frost again last night.  I hope that will be the end of the cold nights and days in the 70s coming next week.  We are both on diets so we will not be having an Easter celebration dinner as we usually do.  My diet is less strict so I will meet my DS for happy hour later this afternoon.  

Thanks for all of the reports that this wonderful group pulls together each day.  We don't drink beer in this house.  Beavers have their place in their native waters.  While touring the National Park in Ushuaia the damage from the beavers imported over a hundred years ago is very evident.  They are native at our cabin in Michigan but we had a population explosion of them and one climbed way up our hill from the lake and crewed down 2" diameter spruces and hauled them away.  They got so bad that they flooded two neighbors access roads.  They hired a trapper and he legally removed 12 of them.   I love caramel popcorn but haven' t had it in years.  Todays swordfish and vino look like winners but I will pass on the Manhattan. 

@grapau27 Thank you for the Easter video and thanks to everyone for all the memes and funnies to start my days with a smile.  

Prayers for all on our care list, the lost in Nashville and the people of Ukraine.  Nancy 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Have no clue how partial favorites page got into this post?😡

Perhaps you were too busy celebrating National Beer day after you finished up those income taxes with the big refund this year.

• Like 5
  • Haha 11