Changes that have occurred?

spearmint

It has been 6 years since my last cruise and I understand some changes have happened, especially since the pandemic.  For example, I have been told that Celebrity no longer has lobster on the menu,and that the cabin stewards do up the cabins in the morning only.  Can anyone give any information of notable changes made?  I have the impression that one is given a specific time at which to board.... we were used to coming to the port in the morning and would be allowed to board to public areas en masse as soon as the ship allowed, even if the cabins were not available yet.  I am cruising again in November, and just want to be aware of new procedures etc.

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1

Celebrity still has lobster but if you want more than 1 you will pay for the additional unless you are in a suite or aqua class.  Cabin attendant will do your cabin twice a day unless you opt for Go Green. Even then you would not notice the difference unless you are a slob.  

When you check in you will pick a boarding time which cuts down on the time you have to hang around.

Your cabin will be ready for you to drop off carry ons when you arrive. 

There is now a charge for room service, unless you are in a suite or order a continental breakfast.

Read through the boards to see other changes.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, spearmint said:

I have been told that Celebrity no longer has lobster on the menu,and that the cabin stewards do up the cabins in the morning only. 

Neither of these are true.

10 minutes ago, spearmint said:

I have the impression that one is given a specific time at which to board

No, you choose a specific time at which to board when you check in 45 days prior to sailing.

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

The changes have been talked about ad nauseum on these boards.  Rather than repeat it all here, I respectfully suggest you just search the boards and you'll find tons of info.

People don’t bother searching that’s the problem 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, spearmint said:

It has been 6 years since my last cruise and I understand some changes have happened, especially since the pandemic.  For example, I have been told that Celebrity no longer has lobster on the menu,

not true 

30 minutes ago, spearmint said:

and that the cabin stewards do up the cabins in the morning only. 

also not true unless you requestcGo Green

Can anyone give any information of notable changes made?  I have the impression that one is given a specific time at which to board.... we were used to coming to the port in the morning and would be allowed to board to public areas en masse as soon as the ship allowed, even if the cabins were not available yet.

yes you choose your boarding time now

I am cruising again in November, and just want to be aware of new procedures etc.

Thanks,

Bill

9 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

People don’t bother searching that’s the problem 

IMO the problem is the search function itself...very user unfriendly.  Type in a search term or topic and any and everything pops up as relevant even when it's not...just because it has a matching search word.  In contrast, if I am researching for something I go to Google and ask my question there.  I can usually find a link to a CC post that way and it is way more relevant than doing my search on the CC site itself.  Regardless, I agree that it just takes a little searching...on whatever vehicle one uses.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

IMO the problem is the search function itself...very user unfriendly.  Type in a search term or topic and any and everything pops up as relevant even when it's not...just because it has a matching search word.  In contrast, if I am researching for something I go to Google and ask my question there.  I can usually find a link to a CC post that way and it is way more relevant than doing my search on the CC site itself.  Regardless, I agree that it just takes a little searching...on whatever vehicle one uses.

All of this...and it sometimes brings up old threads that get resurrected and then the poster is jumped on for bringing up an old thread. Catch-22.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, spearmint said:

It has been 6 years since my last cruise and I understand some changes have happened, especially since the pandemic.  For example, I have been told that Celebrity no longer has lobster on the menu,and that the cabin stewards do up the cabins in the morning only.  Can anyone give any information of notable changes made?  I have the impression that one is given a specific time at which to board.... we were used to coming to the port in the morning and would be allowed to board to public areas en masse as soon as the ship allowed, even if the cabins were not available yet.  I am cruising again in November, and just want to be aware of new procedures etc.

Thanks,

Bill

We went last year on Solstice to Alaska September 2022 just as the industry was digging out of the lock down.

1. We had lobster.

2. We, or at least my category of a Concierge State Room, had make up in the morning and turn down at night.

3. We were given 11 AM to board.  We arrived at 9:30 AM and had no problem boarding.  We threw things in the room and were messaged when the room was ready.

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I always use google to search cruisecritic. Just enter your search term followed by site:boards.cruisecritic.com. Way better than cc’s search function. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spearmint said:

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, in our many years of cruising we have always found Celebrity is remarkably adept at not having consistency between ships let alone involving a time gap.

Don’t get me wrong the basics of good food, service and quality ship design are there across the ships but little things are frequently different.

We approach each cruise as a new experience and don’t let little differences upset us. People have already given explanations of some of the changes that have/have not happened. As your cruise approaches I suggest you add new questions about specifics you are interested in finding out like performers worth watching, speciality restaurants, ports of call…

• Like 1

Which ship?  Type of cabin?  Here are a few things.  No more Welcome bubbly when you walk on the ship.  But you can find it in Cafe al Bacio.  The muster drill has been simplified.  No need to put on a life preserver and go outside.  This and many other things you can find by downloading the Celebrity app - which did not exist 6 years ago.  Wifi has been improved - but some still have issues with it.  You can pay for premium.  Specialty restaurant pricing has become much more expensive.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

We had beef Wellington on Eclipse last month.

Interesting, to add to the datapoints...Wasn't on the Millie a couple of weeks ago nor was it on the Solstice last March or the month before

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

35 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Interesting, to add to the datapoints...Wasn't on the Millie a couple of weeks ago nor was it on the Solstice last March or the month before

We had it on the Beyond --but not prepared that well in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

The muster drill has been simplified.  No need to put on a life preserver and go outside.  This and many other things you can find by downloading the Celebrity app - which did not exist 6 years ago.  

My first cruise on Celebrity was about 6 years ago.  Our muster drill was held outside but Captain Kate didn't make me put on my life jacket to attend.  In fact, I've never had to bring my life jacket to any of the muster drills I've had on any cruise, and I've been doing this since 2014.

My memory is fuzzy about whether there was a Celebrity Cruises app 6 years ago.  Maybe, maybe not - but it's much more integrated into the cruise experience now.

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

My first cruise on Celebrity was about 6 years ago.  Our muster drill was held outside but Captain Kate didn't make me put on my life jacket to attend.  In fact, I've never had to bring my life jacket to any of the muster drills I've had on any cruise, and I've been doing this since 2014.

My memory is fuzzy about whether there was a Celebrity Cruises app 6 years ago.  Maybe, maybe not - but it's much more integrated into the cruise experience now.

According to AI which is not always accurate, both the app and the elimination of the life vest happened in 2019

image.thumb.png.a5e4b0c435f10684cfb958f6c14af0e9.png

Thank you all for the information. I have a veranda cabin on Equinox in November.  I just like to know as to what to expect; one cannot be surprised (or disappointed) with pre-knowledge.  

It's nice to know about the Muster Station drill... simplified, which is new to me and sounds good.

We always thought the boarding bubbly was a nice touch, which started with our first cruise on Century.  It is good to know about Cafe al Baccio, though.

Don't really care about the lobster... my wife loved the stuff but I could care less. With prices more or less doubled for the cruise from what we used to pay, I just want to know what other changes have come about.

Nice to hear about the cabin service seemingly unchanged. These guys always impressed me.

Celebrity  began specialty restaurants on Millennium, which was superb in decor, service and food.  Over the years, the decor on the ships became OK, the servicewas  good and the food OK but not much different from the Main Dining Room. The last time we attended a Murano's, although they promised that they could cook my three little steaks the way I liked, they couldn't... after three tries, the waiter offered us  a reduced charge to come back again another night. (The original night's charge still held, though.)  That did not and will not happen, but it is nice to know that there is an 18% charge added.  Wow.

I did try a search, but could not find much, and, indeed, did find myself overwhelmed, so started this thread; thought that people would refer me to existing threads, and am pleased at those of you who have given me some information directly.

I am definitely going to try the Google approach for sure. As for an app.... I am one of the few on the planet, I expect, who does not have a cellphone; hence I need CruiseCritic as much as I ever did.

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1