Just Curious. How Many Times........

Ret MP

7 minutes ago, cynt said:

Free beach day with free food, free beach access, 4 diamond drink vouchers, free loungers and umbrellas that are already set up and pool. Sign me up every time. I love CC. My hubs is not a beach person. He enjoys it for a couple of hours and lunch and then heads back to the ship. He feels safe leaving me to enjoy my beach day. Win win for us! 

LOL free. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I love ship private islands!!! The first one I ever went to was Holland's Half-Moon Cay, about 30 years ago, and I was hooked! Cococay and Labadee in the "olden days" were both just pristine beaches with chairs and the RCCL barbeque.  I must say I was a little shocked that Labadee had gotten so developed the last time we were there, but having said that, I just love a "free" day on the private islands. If you enjoy the beach, you can find quiet areas to just relax and chill on the included loungers and shade either from palm trees or umbrellas. The included food at CocoCay is very good, and there are both bars and clean restrooms nearby...what more can I ask for? I enjoy a beach day at ports, but it is always a bit of a hassle to get a cab or bus (or excursion) to the beach, pay for the chairs/umbrellas/food/drinks, etc., so for me, especially with the ease of docking right at Cococay, it truly is a Perfect Day. 😉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

. This is the future of cruising...whether we like it or not. 

Maybe out of Florida (and some other USA ports). 

I like a beach day but prefer to explore countries, cities, regions.  Most of our cruises have been in Europe or cool weather cruising like Alaska,  Canada or Norwegian Fjords. 

Our first visit to Coco Cay will be later this year, looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

Not sure about others, but I love to cruise because along with the vacation pluses such as I don’t have to cook or clean… I LOVE THE OCEAN.

I grew up living near the Atlantic and we were at the beach as much as we could be. When on a ship, you won’t find me by the pool, I’ll be on my balcony listening to and watching the waves. The ocean is so powerful and beautiful, and it makes its own music. When we cruise I’m NOT happy when one of our stops ISN’T CC or Labadee, where you’ll find me with my toes in the sand.

But of course I also love the fact that I can see the other parts of the world from my traveling hotel on the water too 😉

• Like 4

Caribbean cruises are all about crystal clear waters, sandy beaches and palm trees.  Cruise lines can deliver that in a controlled setting when they stop at their "private island" or "private beach." 

What major cruise line doesn't do it? 

Why do they?  Profit. 

The setting keeps their "buying units" captive in a controlled setting while delivering exactly what most cruise guests expect of a Caribbean Vacation.  If you want to spend money, your only choice is to do so with the line.

I'm a Native South Floridian, and most of us choose NOT to bake in the sun.  Coco Cay is beautiful.  There's something for everyone... well expect perhaps our OP.  It's possible to enjoy the island without spending a penny whether you care for a tranquil spot in the shade near the shore or a lively pool party.  I take quite a few cruises that stop at Coco Cay, but for most I stay onboard.  And on those times when my cabin doesn't face the other docked ship, I enjoy sitting on the balcony at some point to enjoy the view and crashing waves against the rocks on parts of the shoreline.   

• Like 2

Interesting reading the "I'm not a beach guy" comments.

Neither am I, we never ever go to the beach here in Florida. I stay in the shade on Coco Cay (or Solarium or Suite Deck). It's the included food  and ability to use D vouchers that I enjoy while wife usually does a short snorkel first thing in the morning then chills.

We also aren't partiers and I wouldn't go near the human soup in front of the DJ in the Oasis Pool, but our favorite spot is still by the pool where we can hear the music without being in that mosh pit and still find it relaxing, even on short cruises in July when there are obviously kids and party people. The water is nice to cool off in.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just why we like it despite not being beach people or party people.

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents -  RC invested a lot of money into CocoCay and they are going to send as many ships, as often at they can, to recoup those funds and turn a profit.  It is far more profitable for the ship to go to their private island so passengers can spend their vacation dollars than it is for the ship to stop at a foreign port and take those dollars off the ship.

As of right now, I've been to CocoCay once.  We rented a South Beach cabana - I am a hater of all things summer with my Scandi skin and spent half my time on the island applying sunscreen.  We will be there again in October - we've purchased the Coco Beach Club.  There seems to be a fair amount of shade options.  I do know that shortly after lunch, I'll be ready to go back to the ship.  We are also booked again for Oct. 2024 on our Icon sailing - I could see myself staying on the ship.  We'll see.  

I'm just not one of those people who can relax on a sun lounger for hours.  I would die of boredom 🙂

• Like 2

I preferred the old Coco Cay, when we tendered there.   Natural island feel, nice walk on the nature trail down to the other end (which is edited to just a tiny short walk now).  They have "theme parked" out the island now.  I don't go to theme parks in Orlando either...though they are only 30 miles away.  

I agree...can't seem to get on any Florida departure without having to go there...even Tampa.  

And...even on the world cruise...geez.  Going there on first day and last day.  Yeah, real exotic.  🫤

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Weve been to Coco Cay countless times, and never tired it if.  We still get off the ship, enjoy a nice beach day (we don't live in Florida or near a beach), snorkel,  enjoy a bite to eat, and take a nice walk around.  Never tire of it. 

If I tired of Bahamas/Caribbean ports we've visited often, there would be not point to cruising. 

M

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

Natural island feel, nice walk on the nature trail down to the other end (which is edited to just a tiny short walk now).

We just found that trail on our last visit; had no idea it was there. It was early in the morning and wife didn't feel like snorkeling so we went for a random walk after claiming our favorite loungers (and of course it was too early for me to eat 😁).  We found a rooster that didn't seem to want us there; he was quite vocal about it!

• Haha 1

Wife and I have been there kinda often.  We aren't beach people.  Twice, we went to Coco Beach Club... essentially because it was cheaper than usual.  We liked the lunch and the pool. 

Sometimes we've stayed on-board.

The last 5 visits, we've had reservations for the Up, Up, and Away balloon - and it's been cancelled each time due to winds.  Either we find out the day-of when we show up, or they will let us know the day before.  Have a few booked that go back in the Fall.. will try again for it.  We just want to go once 🙂

It depends on the weather and age breakdown of passengers. Went 4x on Oasis in February. The cruise over President’s Day had loads of kids. Enjoyed a relatively empty ship. The other 3 week I enjoyed beautiful days on the island

Nabalab -

I hope you get to try the balloon one day. This is June 2019, I’m not even sure the Beach Club was completed at this point.  Balloon was new and would you believe it – it was $24.99 and ( back then) we thought that was high for a 15 minute activity !  

Weather (wind) in the area allowed us to only go halfway up, but it was still lots of fun. 

4D658859-C651-4F68-BA0B-6A6EBF56D12F.png

Edited by cruisegirl1