Preliminary Alaska Cruise Questions - RCL

Hi All,

We are planning an Alaska cruise for a milestone birthday - parents with adult kids.  RCL is our favorite line over NCL, and we've never been on Celebrity.  We've been on Princess awhile ago which is fine but have heard decreased quality since Carnival's acquisition years ago.

We want the best possible first-time Alaska experience, but we still also want to be on a great modern ship with good food and entertainment. 

Does anyone have any experience with RCL vs Celebrity vs NCL vs Princess for a cruise to Alaska?

-What's the best way to go about choosing a cruise to Alaska for July or August 2024?

-Is July vs August a better time to go?

-The ships we are considering are: Ovation of the Seas (we've been on Anthem), NCL Bliss (we've been on Getaway), Celebrity Edge or Discovery Princess

-Is there any advantage of going on any of these ships to be able to see more?  They all are similar size

-Whats the difference in doing roundtrip from Seattle vs one-way from Seattle vs one-way from Vancouver?  Would we end up seeing a bunch more on a one way trip?  Is there any advantage from leaving from Vancouver vs Seattle?

Would appreciate any info for the best possible Alaska experience while also having a great cruise.

Thank you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

Whats the difference in doing roundtrip from Seattle vs one-way from Seattle vs one-way from Vancouver?  Would we end up seeing a bunch more on a one way trip?  Is there any advantage from leaving from Vancouver vs Seattle?

There are no one way trips from Seattle.  One-way are all out of Vancouver on smaller older ships.  If you want a newer larger ship you need to do the round trip out of Seattle and sacrifice the itinerary to a certain extent. 

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

-

-Whats the difference in doing roundtrip from Seattle vs one-way from Seattle vs one-way from Vancouver?  Would we end up seeing a bunch more on a one way trip?  Is there any advantage from leaving from Vancouver vs Seattle?

IMO, these 2 items are the most critical starting point, which would then lead you towards line and ship

July-more hours of daylight, in general a little warmer,

Seattle v Vancouver-beside flight considerations, Vancouver is smoother sailing in and out.

One way vs round trip-on a one way (North) you will go further North and hit different ports, and then you have the flight issues with flying back from, probably Anchorage.

Also, do you plan to just do a cruise, or do some land tours as well?

We are doing a land tour for 3 days (Anchorage/Denali Park), cruise leaving from Seward, then sailing 7 days from Seward to Vancouver

Most Alaska cruises are more about the ports and scenic viewing than ship activities such as shows.., so that is probably the last decision to make, just go by what ship is going to ports that interest you

Edited by ngrund
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info so far.

The one thing I keep reading about is that RCL and Celebrity do not go to Glacier Bay whereas Princess, Holland America and occassionally NCL do.  For a first time Alaska trip, how significant is Glacier Bay?  We want the best overall destination experience.

Also, these are the 3 different RCL one way and round trip itineraries.  Does anything stand out among these three to anyone who has been as to which may be the best overall itinerary?

Thank you.

Ovation of the Seas

ROUNDTRIP FROM:Seattle, Washington

VISITING:Seattle, WashingtonJuneau, AlaskaSkagway, AlaskaEndicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, AlaskaVictoria, British ColumbiaSeattle, Washington

Ovation of the Seas

ROUNDTRIP FROM:Seattle, Washington

VISITING:Seattle, WashingtonSitka, AlaskaSkagway, AlaskaEndicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, AlaskaJuneau, AlaskaVictoria, British ColumbiaSeattle, Washington

Brilliance of the Seas

ROUNDTRIP FROM:Vancouver, British Columbia

VISITING:Vancouver, British ColumbiaInside Passage, CanadaSitka, AlaskaTracy Arm Fjord, AlaskaJuneau, AlaskaHubbard Glacier, AlaskaKetchikan, AlaskaInside Passage, CanadaVancouver, British Columbia

Radiance of the Seas

ONEWAY FROM:Vancouver, British Columbia to Seward, Alaska

VISITING:Vancouver, British ColumbiaInside Passage, CanadaJuneau, AlaskaIcy Strait Point, AlaskaSitka, AlaskaSkagway, AlaskaHubbard Glacier, AlaskaSeward, Alaska

Go on Princess. They are amazing when it comes to Alaska. As has been pointed out, they go to Glacier Bay National Park. Royal Caribbean does not. Glacier Bay is not to be missed. They also bring experts including National Park Rangers on board to give informative talks on what you are seeing outside the ship. And their lodges are amazing.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

We’re booked on a Vancouver round trip next year and I’ve found flights to Vancouver are about twice as much as flights to Seattle. If sailing a round trip itinerary I would recommend Seattle.

For the best overall experience I recommend one way south bound that visits Glacier Bay.

We've been on NCL Jewel, Ruby Princess, and Ovation of the Seas in Alaska. Princess gave us the best experience because of Glacier Bay, but the rest of the itinerary was nothing special. The Ovation was a great ship with something to do all day. We've booked her again for next year because it has a lengthy stop m in Victoria, and my wife has wanted to go to Bouchatd gardens. Usually, you only have about 4 hours there, sometimes at night, but the Ovation docks at 1PM, and stays until 10. We've been to Glacier on Princess, so that's not so important to us. NCL was nothing special on my opinion.

Not really what you asked, I’ve only ever sailed RC & only been to Alaska once. That said…

If you can afford it both time & budget wise, I would do a one-way and spend as much time on land as possible (before the cruise is my preference).

We spent 10 days on land traveling from Fairbanks down to Seward (on our own with the help of an outside company) before a Radiance southbound (very long trip report in my signature). Nothing against the cruise but it was the land portion that contained most of the highlights for us.

This was also a milestone special trip & we spent way more than our usual frugal 7-night Caribbean cruise when we drive an hour to PC but it was amazing.

At the very least, I would try to add on some sort of pre-cruise land tour if you do go with a one way.

Happy planning!

16 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

We are planning an Alaska cruise for a milestone birthday - parents with adult kids.  RCL is our favorite line over NCL, and we've never been on Celebrity.  We've been on Princess awhile ago which is fine but have heard decreased quality since Carnival's acquisition years ago.

We want the best possible first-time Alaska experience, but we still also want to be on a great modern ship with good food and entertainment. 

Does anyone have any experience with RCL vs Celebrity vs NCL vs Princess for a cruise to Alaska?

-What's the best way to go about choosing a cruise to Alaska for July or August 2024?

-The ships we are considering are: Ovation of the Seas (we've been on Anthem), NCL Bliss (we've been on Getaway), Celebrity Edge or Discovery Princess

-Is there any advantage of going on any of these ships to be able to see more?  They all are similar size

Would appreciate any info for the best possible Alaska experience while also having a great cruise.

Thank you.

We sail Alaska every year. Last year we were on the RCCL Quantum. This year we're on the NCL Encore. 

July and August are fine. They maximize your opportunity to see wildlife and it is often shorts and t-shirt weather in port. 

On the NCL side, I would recommend the Norwegian Encore instead of the Bliss. The Encore is doing Glacier Bay which is the preferred glacier destination over the Dawes glacier. The Bliss and Encore are sister ships with similar features. They were both purpose-built for the Alaskan market with large inside lounge spaces with spectacular views, heated outside dining areas, heated pools and water features. 

If you continue down a path of going to the Dawes glacier on either NCL or RCCL, book the Glacier Explorer shore excursion which  takes you on a small boat up to the face of the glacier. One of the best shore exs and we take it every time we're at Dawes. The big cruise ships are often limited on how close they can get if there is a lot of ice in the water. The small boat just motors up close and personal. Last year on the Quantum, we had to stop about 6 miles away from the glacier and peak at it with binoculars. 

Vancouver to Anchorage versus Seattle R/T. You would be sailing on the smaller, older ships out of Vancouver. On Day 1 and 2, you'll be in the Canadian inside passage which is a bit more scenic and with more sea life. The older, smaller ships may not be as appealing to the adult children. 

It's been a while since we sailed on Princess, but we did a Vancouver to Whitter cruise that year with a land tour post-cruise. My big thing about one-way cruses is that the time to get from the port to anchorage airport and the flight schedules really adds an additional day to our travels and a red eye back home. Neither are optimal for us. 

So, I made this exact decision last year. And I picked a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay (i.e., not Royal) on the Norwegian Encore. Big ship with lots to do at night. Lovely thermal suite to sit in a hot hydrotherapy swimming pool to let the bubbles work out the aches and pains of touring. 

To give you a peak at the ships, see live posts below. 

Below is a live post from our 2022 Quantum of the Seas cruise to Alaska (similar to Ovation)

Below is a live post from our 2021 Norwegian Encore cruise to Alaska (and we're back on the Encore to Alaska again next month)

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Book a ship with decent public viewing areas - the Oasis class RCI ships have almost zero viewing from Promenade deck.  Also, smaller is better getting on and off ships.

In six trips, best was Island/Coral Princess going to Glacier Bay.  Radiance of the Seas was pretty good going only to Hubbard, but fogged out one trip.  We have another on that ship booked for next year with family, although ship has fewer kid-type activities.

Expect very expensive excursions and food onshore in Alaska.  Seaplanes and copters tend to be $400pp but are great for glaciers and bears.  Even taking a bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is now around $50pp - the park service requires the operators to buy park admission for each passenger even if you have a national park pass.  And we have heard that the operators are running out of passes this year.

We weren't impressed with Icy Straight as a port.

Note that if you sail from Seattle you will most likely have to stop in Victoria.  Nice city to visit (parliament tour is great and free) but you lose an Alaska day doing this.  If you have time (and cash) book roundtrip from Vancouver.  Then you can book either the Kenai Fjords boat trip or the 26 glacier boat trip on turnaround day.  Both excellent.  Booking back to back avoids the hassle and cost of flights to Alaska.

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

Book a ship with decent public viewing areas - the Oasis class RCI ships have almost zero viewing from Promenade deck.  Also, smaller is better getting on and off ships.

In six trips, best was Island/Coral Princess going to Glacier Bay.  Radiance of the Seas was pretty good going only to Hubbard, but fogged out one trip.  We have another on that ship booked for next year with family, although ship has fewer kid-type activities.

Expect very expensive excursions and food onshore in Alaska.  Seaplanes and copters tend to be $400pp but are great for glaciers and bears.  Even taking a bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is now around $50pp - the park service requires the operators to buy park admission for each passenger even if you have a national park pass.  And we have heard that the operators are running out of passes this year.

We weren't impressed with Icy Straight as a port.

Note that if you sail from Seattle you will most likely have to stop in Victoria.  Nice city to visit (parliament tour is great and free) but you lose an Alaska day doing this.  If you have time (and cash) book roundtrip from Vancouver.  Then you can book either the Kenai Fjords boat trip or the 26 glacier boat trip on turnaround day.  Both excellent.  Booking back to back avoids the hassle and cost of flights to Alaska.

There are no Oasis class ships sailing to Alaska.  Quantum and Ovation are Quantum class ships which are built for a colder itinerary.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

Thank you.

Some thoughts on planning an Alaska cruise:

1. Find your flights first. I do not know where you live but roundtrip flights to Seattle and Vancouver can vary greatly depending on your starting city. Also, direct flights vs connecting flights can make it a better day of travel. If you are considering a one way price flights to/from those start/end cities. You may find the prices are too high. If any of these starting ports are drivable to you then that will make a difference as well.

2. Once you have an idea of how you can get there and for how much then focus on the itinerary and port hours. Figure out your must do ports and look for itineraries that go there. Very important: check the hours that you are in port at each place. Some itineraries do a glacier viewing for 1/2 a day and a city for the other 1/2 the day. Also, some itineraries have ridiculous stops with only 4 or 5 hours in a port.

My recommendations for an itinerary for a 1st Alaska cruise would be:

Glacier Bay - the "must do" for Alaska

Juneau - Whale Watching / Mendenhall Glacier / Goldbelt Tram

Ketchikan - Crab Fishing / Lumberjack / Salmon Watching

Skagway - White Pass Railroad

With all those ports and glacier bay that would mean you will have to pick Princess or Holland

For maximum wildlife viewing start you cruise between July 15th and August 15th. 

3. Not a deal breaker but pick a smaller ship if you can. Just less people across the board at all times.

So with that advice I say you should look at HAL Koningsdam or possibly Ruby Princess out of Vancouver. Ruby is about $400pp cheaper but don't let that be the only factor.

Also, another note: glaciers may or may not be the "be all end all" for you. Therefore, not going to Glacier Bay would open up a lot more itineraries for you.

• Like 2

I've done 3 RCL Alaska trips.

We did the one way first and then 2 round trip from Seattle.  The one way was a better trip,  but the logistics in alaska (we went south bound) were... rough. We stayed in Anchorage for 2 nights, did some stuff, took the train to Seward, stayed one night and finally got on the ship.  We had been to Anchorage and Seward before, so we wanted to see how much they grew in 30 years (a lot.  A LOT).  However, the train ride was fantastic, Hubbard was a great glacier, etc.

I've never been to Glacier Bay and don't feel like I've missed out.  Maybe I have and I don't realize it.

I do like the bigger ships though, and enjoy the round trips as well.  If you want *Alaska* you may want the one way, and if you want cruising to Alaska or ease of travel, the round trips are great!

We did a one way out of Vancouver to Whittier then a 4 night land tour through Princess in August 2018. We were on the Star Princess. It was kind of an older ship but definitely not exactly small.  It was a great trip. Definitely recommend doing a few days on land if you can. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 7:11 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

There are no one way trips from Seattle.  One-way are all out of Vancouver on smaller older ships.  If you want a newer larger ship you need to do the round trip out of Seattle and sacrifice the itinerary to a certain extent. 

Hello there...what is it called when you leave out of Seattle and end in Vancouver? Is this considered one-way or round trip? I am getting confused. TIA for your help☺️

18 minutes ago, kdnurs said:

Hello there...what is it called when you leave out of Seattle and end in Vancouver? Is this considered one-way or round trip? I am getting confused. TIA for your help☺️

That’s a one way…a RT is when you start in one city and end in the same city, just like flying.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kdnurs said:

5 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

That’s a one way…a RT is when you start in one city and end in the same city, just like flying.

There are a few one way sailings for Quantum and Ovation between Seattle and Vancouver at the beginning and end of the Alaska season but that is to satisfy the PVSA.  The typical Alaska season sailings are round trip Seattle.

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

There are a few one way sailings for Quantum and Ovation between Seattle and Vancouver at the beginning and end of the Alaska season but that is to satisfy the PVSA.  The typical Alaska season sailings are round trip Seattle.

What is PVSA?

1 minute ago, kdnurs said:

What is PVSA?

It is an old maritime law that says you can't have a cruise from one US port to a different US port without it stopping in a foreign port.  Ovation and Quantum sail from Hawaii at the beginning of the Alaska season so they have to go to Vancouver for their foreign port.  Once they start the Alaska season sailing roundtrip from Seattle, they have Victoria as a port of call.  At the end of the Alaska season, the final Alaska sailing ends in Vancouver, instead of Seattle and then they sail Vancouver to Hawaii.

• Like 1