Can a Cruise Director actually make a cruise better ?

lenquixote66

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Any opinions ?

With the understanding that it would, in large part, depend on the size of the passenger population and culture of the cruise line, as well as your/our needs and expectations,

I say that it makes a significant difference in the onboard experience, at least, on a premium/luxury small ship line like Oceania.

I’d even go as far as to say that some regulars on specific cruise lines, who know a number of the GMs and CDs, consider who will be “running the show” in making a decision about cruise A vs cruise B (assuming similar itineraries et al.)

We have our favorites (GMs, CDs and even Skippers and/or Executive Chefs), enough so that I could put my trust in a dream team (or two/three) I know would assure an excellent cruise experience.

We pay no attention to this at all...it doesn't matter to us what crew happens to be onboard. 

We've sailed for many years on RCI and the only two captains I can even remember are Cpt Johnny and Cpt Selvig...no idea who anyone else was.

• Like 2

I would venture that having a Cruise Director would be better than not having one, since they are responsible for all the entertainment and activities. But they need to know their audience, and cater to both their expectations and those of the cruise line. A good one can certainly enhance the guest experience. A bad one is just an annoyance.

• Like 1

The time I recognized a cruise director was with John Lawrence of Princess. He gave the port lectures, and did not just push the cruise excursions. He let you know what there was to do at each port (a Baltic cruise).

• Like 2

A CD can absolutely make a cruise better. I have definitely been on a few cruises where the CD directly made the experience more enjoyable. Who knows what behind-the-scenes impacts that also improved my experiences.

However, I'm going to have a great cruise independent of the CD. The question was can they make it better, and that's a yes. Anyone could make your cruise better. Your room steward. Your waiter. Your favorite bartender. 

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We had on our ship the title called Entertainment Director.

Or Hostess........Cruise Director title is long GONE.....

Cruise line dependant. For example, Carnival has both an Entertainment Director, who is the department head,  and a Cruise director who is the public face for entertainment events. Celebrity has a traditional Cruise Director. The department heads are senior officers. A Hostess is just that.

• Like 1

A good CD definitely can make a cruise better. Much of what they do is behind the scenes — they have a role in selecting the entertainers and of course setting up the daily activities and supervising the staff running them. When a port is missed (e.g. because of weather), they scramble to add on-board activities for the day.

And then of course is their own outward-facing role, interacting with guests, introducing the nightly entertainers, maybe even performing themselves.  

For years, over in the Celebrity forum, I’d read about CD Sue Denning and how incredible she is. She had an almost mythical status, it was hard to believe any CD could be that good. And then she was the CD on one of our cruises, and we saw for ourselves that all the praise was justified.  She’s incredible. 

Mostly, though, I have no idea who the CD is. But when there’s a really top notch one, you know it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mom says said:

Cruise line dependant. For example, Carnival has both an Entertainment Director, who is the department head,  and a Cruise director who is the public face for entertainment events. Celebrity has a traditional Cruise Director. The department heads are senior officers. A Hostess is just that.

Princess (part of Carnival Corporation) has the same set-up.  

I have only experienced one demonstrably ineffective CD - on Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore to the Caribbean.  A number of scheduled events simply never happened because no organizer showed up - and his presentations, when given, were sometimes disjointed or factually mis-leading.

Phil Collins once said on the Johnny Carson show that "A good drummer makes an average band good and a bad drummer makes a good band average.

The same can be said of a CD.

A good one knows when to be funny and when to be informative and when to be serious.

So yes,  a CD can make a cruise better for a passenger.

Edited by JRG

I believe CD can make a difference on the major lines that are basically floating resorts because they host many activities, and are the face of the operation. That being said, it is rare that I actually notice a CD because most of them that I have sailed with just blend in and do their job. In 25 cruises, I remember several, but only remember 2 that I would pick a ship just to sail with them again, and 1 that I would avoid. 

So overall in my experience, in most cruises it doesn't matter but it certainly can. 

On 7/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Any opinions ?

depends on what you want I suppose.

They irritate me immensely.

They are more than a little responsible for the forced fun they try to get everyone to get involved in.

And they seem eternally happy and energetic.

Irritating in other words.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Any opinions ?

The fella on celebrity beyond fancies himself as some sort of Latin american dancer(sorry my dancing knowledge is nil)

Every opportunity he got he pranced about doing his weird walks etc.

Seriously irritating.

Have I mentioned that?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have only experienced one demonstrably ineffective CD - on Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore to the Caribbean.  A number of scheduled events simply never happened because no organizer showed up - and his presentations, when given, were sometimes disjointed or factually mis-leading.

The best CD I ever encountered was on Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore to the Caribbean.Perhaps the cruise that you and I were both on ?