The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 24th, 2023

richwmn

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I can concur that some are having a really tough time right now.  My twin is beside herself with concern and sadness about a loved one's situation.  In addition to that, her 14 1/2 year old Golden Retriever Madi is in very poor health right now, not eating and barely drinking.  Having had some tests done they are awaiting word from the Vet on whether today is the day for precious Madi to go over the Rainbow Bridge.  She describes her life as h e l l  right now and nothing I can say will make it any better.  

Hoping everyone here that is going through "something" have a brighter day on the horizon.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersSending good wishes for your twin and Madi too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I can concur that some are having a really tough time right now.  My twin is beside herself with concern and sadness about a loved one's situation.  In addition to that, her 14 1/2 year old Golden Retriever Madi is in very poor health right now, not eating and barely drinking.  Having had some tests done they are awaiting word from the Vet on whether today is the day for precious Madi to go over the Rainbow Bridge.  She describes her life as h e l l  right now and nothing I can say will make it any better.  

Hoping everyone here that is going through "something" has a brighter day on the horizon.

Sandi, I hope things improve for your twin's loved one, and that the vet has some answers that will help Madi.  If not, I know  your twin will put Madi first, and help her cross the Rainbow Bridge.  Fourteen is a long life for a Golden Retriever.  I know you feel helpless when nothing you can say will make either situation better, but just being there and listening is a help to you twin.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu, Jacqui. I was glad to see you post but I am sorry for the difficulties with Ivan and your friend.Some days are just harder than others and it is challenging  to stay "afloat" ,  at least for me.

Take care Terry.

Sending you my best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

In the good news department, the other PSP trooper that was injured in the shooting last month had been released from Hershey Medical Center to continue treatment at a rehabilitation center.

That is good news.  Thanks for letting us know.

Lenda

• Like 13

3 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Today is also National Drive Through Restaurant Day!  What is your favorite drive through restaurant?

Mine is In-&-Out Burger.

Lots of people answering with burgers, I'd rather Chic-Fil-A or Zaxby's (both GA companies)

• Like 16

I have to think that this weather.... unbearably hot in places, way too wet in places, too dry in other places, fires in places..... is adding to all of our discomfort and worries. Hope Madi and Ivan will be ok... but I know that with an elderly dog the worry is always there. I have changed plans due to canine and feline issues and worries in the past. I guess right now a number of us are just plodding forward. I know I will feel much better when we get some rain.... in a reasonable amount.

Susan

• Like 23

My therapy is written down in my calendar to start at 10 tomorrow, and I just got an email that it is at 9, and when I called back, I got an answering machine.  It's always been at 10.  But in the midst of all of that, DH 's eye infection is back, so I had to make an emergency appointment for him, which is at 1, so he will go to therapy with me, then grab a quick lunch and then off to the docs tomorrow.

His Wednesday (as I am the driver and spouse, and general question person, so me too)  is a morning full of MRI's and meeting with doctors.

When you get older and become the memory to the other half of your life, every doctors appointment becomes part of the Me too movement. 

@kazu we worry when you dont show up for a day or two.I hope you find a better happier place soon.

off to work  hugs to all.  i have to make up some hours that I won't be able to work tomorrow.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

My therapy is written down in my calendar to start at 10 tomorrow, and I just got an email that it is at 9, and when I called back, I got an answering machine.  It's always been at 10.  But in the midst of all of that, DH 's eye infection is back, so I had to make an emergency appointment for him, which is at 1, so he will go to therapy with me, then grab a quick lunch and then off to the docs tomorrow.

His Wednesday (as I am the driver and spouse, and general question person, so me too)  is a morning full of MRI's and meeting with doctors.

When you get older and become the memory to the other half of your life, every doctors appointment becomes part of the Me too movement. 

@kazu we worry when you dont show up for a day or two.I hope you find a better happier place soon.

off to work  hugs to all.  i have to make up some hours that I won't be able to work tomorrow.

@marshhawk

Sending you good wishes for you and your husband's appointment's in the next few days and hopefully everything works out well for you both.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Annie, I hope you get a good therapist this time, whatever time it is.  Even without memory issues, unless it is a routine appointment, it helps to have two sets of ears, and to people to ask questions.  I hope all goes well for DH with the MRIs and doctors on Wednesday.  I also hope they can get that eye infection under control soon, and glad he could get an emergency appointment tomorrow.  

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

For Terry @smitty34877, Graham @grapau27, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, Susan @durangoscots thanks for your warm wishes for dear Twin and Madi.  Also to Annie @marshhawk hoping and praying Chuck can get that eye infection under control, and the Wednesday MRI and doctor appointments go better than expected.  Meanwhile, take care of yourself!  Hope the appointment with PT goes okay, whatever time it actually turns out to be.🤷‍♀️

Rich @richwmn Chick-Fil-A would be my first choice too, though I wouldn't turn down a drive thru at Wendy's, McDonalds, Burger King, or even Taco Bell.  I've only eaten at Zaxby's a couple of times but it was enjoyable too. 

Edited because I forgot, but thanks @1ANGELCAT for some good news today!  I'm very pleased the PA State trooper is out of the hospital and into the rehab facility.  I wish him and his family the very best!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 23

Today sucked all day.

We were supposed to have 3 appointments in Killeen (32 miles each way) I got a physician canceled because she's not there on Monday's. No one knew 5 weeks ago??

They wanted us to keep the EEG, EKG and chest Xrays, so off we go. We get to a clinic. There's a girl at the desk and the tech who was late from lunch.. no one else around. 

We finally get into the xray room and Allen got that.  After a paperwork check, the technician said she couldn't do the EKG or EEG without a physician present!! Then she brazenly gave us a number to call to reschedule!! 

Really!! 64 miles??? For a chest xray?? The VA is making life so miserable for our vets. Horrible. 3rd cancellation same doctor.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 15

34 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Today sucked all day.

We were supposed to have 3 appointments in Killeen (32 miles each way) I got a physician canceled because she's not there on Monday's. No one knew 5 weeks ago??

They wanted us to keep the EEG, EKG and chest Xrays, so off we go. We get to a clinic. There's a girl at the desk and the tech who was late from lunch.. no one else around. 

We finally get into the xray room and Allen got that.  After a paperwork check, the technician said she couldn't do the EKG or EEG without a physician present!! Then she brazenly gave us a number to call to reschedule!! 

Really!! 64 miles??? For a chest xray?? The VA is making life so miserable for our vets. Horrible. 3rd cancellation same doctor.

Joy, that is inexcusable.  They had to have known the doctor's schedule five weeks ago, if she's always off on Mondays.  If it's any comfort, Allen is not the only one to have these problems.  Most of our retired military neighbors use Tricare and avoid the VA.  One retired Army vet has told me several times, he will not even consider the VA anymore since they have never done anything for him.  

Supposedly there is a way for vets to go to local, private practice doctors and have the VA pay.  DH got something in the mail about it several years ago but never looked into it.  When he was in rehab, I went to the VA clinic in Waco about getting a prescription for him by mail through the VA.  They said I'd have to bring him in and it would take 2-3 hours.  I told them he was in rehab, and that he couldn't sit for that long.  They said he could stay in the car for part of that time, but it would still take 2-3 hours.  All I got from that visit was a form for DH to sign to allow me access to his records.  That form went in the circular file.  

I realized a few weeks ago, there is a VA affairs office in Waco, no where near the VA hospital.  I should have gone there, but not now, especially since he's off that drug.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't want to hijack Keith's other thread bud wanted to expound on this.  Most people here know I loved old Crystal and have many voyages behind me on Harmony, Symphony, Serenity, and Bach.  I am thrilled to have been able to cruise so much   Now that age and health are starting to catch up with me and I'm pretty sure I'm down to 2 more trips.  My planned final cruise will be Panama Canal (new locks) on MS Rotterdam in November.

My next booked cruise is September 29 to October 13 on Queen Mary 2, New York-Quebec-New York.  That will be my first and only time in the Grills, essentially a free cruise from cruise credit from the cancellation of the 2020 World Cruise.  QM2 will arrive in Quebec October 5, turnaround day is October 6 and she leaves October 7.  Just a few days ago I discovered that Crystal Serenity arrives in Quebec October 4, turnaround is October 5, and departure is October 6.  When I saw that I immediately wanted to take a walk over and at least get a first hand look at Serenity.

This is where I start to question my sanity.  I took a hunch tody and did a little checking; then called my TA.  Crystal got back to her quite quickly and while all the single rooms are gone but they quoted her a double room (limited view) midship for very little more than I expected for a single cabin.  When I walk over to check out Serenity it may now be with packed bags.  Still a few hurdles to clear.  While I don't expect to get any money back from Cunard I want to be sure leaving early will not be a major problem and I have a couple of Doctor visits tomorrow and Wednesday that I just want to clear but it looks like a match made in heaven.  Both ships even return to New York on October 13 so my train back home is still good.

Life is interesting.

Roy

Just posted this on the Crystal forum.  I hope I'm not losing my mind.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good Evening,  we had a nice dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. The service was good, we both ordered our steaks well done knowing that it would be under cooked, they came out medium. Luckily I'm ok with medium.

As @dfish mentioned our Ocean Floor plans were cancelled,  so were Peggy's Cove excursions for those who had them booked.  I was able to replace it with a HOHO in Halifax. The replacement excursion is covered by HIA and the leftover credit reduced today's excursion by $40.  Now we can take our time tomorrow morning. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Today sucked all day.

Absolutely ridiculous!

52 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Joy, that is inexcusable.  They had to have known the doctor's schedule five weeks ago, if she's always off on Mondays.  If it's any comfort, Allen is not the only one to have these problems.  Most of our retired military neighbors use Tricare and avoid the VA.  One retired Army vet has told me several times, he will not even consider the VA anymore since they have never done anything for him.  

Supposedly there is a way for vets to go to local, private practice doctors and have the VA pay.  DH got something in the mail about it several years ago but never looked into it.  When he was in rehab, I went to the VA clinic in Waco about getting a prescription for him by mail through the VA.  They said I'd have to bring him in and it would take 2-3 hours.  I told them he was in rehab, and that he couldn't sit for that long.  They said he could stay in the car for part of that time, but it would still take 2-3 hours.  All I got from that visit was a form for DH to sign to allow me access to his records.  That form went in the circular file.  

I realized a few weeks ago, there is a VA affairs office in Waco, no where near the VA hospital.  I should have gone there, but not now, especially since he's off that drug.

Lenda

Joy I have been wondering about this.  Could Allen use Tricare instead and get medical care locally?  DH (and I) use Tricare and never have problems like you've had -- inexcusable!  DH won't go to the VA, and thankfully he hasn't had to.  Between Tricare and Medicare we're completely covered and no medical bills.  I really hope Allen can do that too.  

Roy @rafinmd YAY about the booked cruise!  You deserve it. 

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 17

Hi, all.

Wow, so many of you are having horrible issues.  I hope things get better for everyone quickly.  Hugs to you all.  

We also booked the HoHo for tomorrow.  We are also on the waitlist for the Ocean Floor for the next cruise along with 50 other people.  The gentleman at Shore Excursions said they would be requesting a second bus and that we had priority since we had already booked it and HAL canceled out on us.

We ran into our waiter from last summer tonight at dinner.  He’s excited that we will be in for the next cruise as well.  

Wishing everyone a better evening.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

I don't think I can say Happy Monday, so many difficulties today.  Prayers for all that need them, especially Sam and Baby Murphy.  Hoping everyone has a better evening and tomorrow!   We had Grands over this afternoon, they are very busy, but fun!  To all of the people on cruises---Have Fun!  We booked our winter vacation, that's something to look forward to!  K

Our favorite drive through is Culvers!  

Edited by ktbraun
  • Like 16

So sorry there are so many health problems today.  We did get some good news, the surgeon said, although everything showed up clear everywhere on the pathology, the cancer Pat has/had is very "tricky" and could reappear, so he will be monitored every 6 months with ultrasound, scans, bloodwork, etc., I guess forever, by the surgeon.  I was busily taking notes while the two Irishmen spent most of the time cracking wise!  Anyway, he has the green light to travel, and prescriptions to take with us, just in case.

• Like 21

I saw the eye surgeon for my last check this afternoon. Eye pressure is good (15 and 17). Macular hole is closed. He releasing me back to my ophthalmologist. I still have some “threads” that hopefully get absorbed. Now to get new glasses! Thank you for all your prayers during this journey. 

14 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. My DH, Sam, is in the hospital with brain bleeds after falling out of bed Saturday night. Several CAT scans later they are watching to see if he will need surgery. Please send prayers his way for a complete recovery.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Prayers being lifted up for Sam and his medical team. 🙏  

9 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Today is also National Drive Through Restaurant Day!  What is your favorite drive through restaurant?

Mine is In-&-Out Burger.

I like In-&-Out Burger’s burgers but hate their fries. Their fried need to be eaten right away or they get soggy. You cannot take them home. 

DH loves Burger King but unfortunately the one near us closed. 

My favorite drive-thru is a mom & pop burger joint. They know me/my voice (might be a bad thing?). We eat there about once a week. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

My favorite drive thru is Burger King, I love having tomato lettuce onion, mayo ketchup, heck they can leave the burger off.  I think DH's is Chic Fil A.  He loves their frosted coffees.  

I have a question, I think I made a major mistake.  I ordered the Roma cab to pick us up in Rome at 8 a.m.  to take us to the port.  But our ship does not leave until 7, I was thinking we would get there around 10/10:30, no tour included.  Will I be sitting on my butt for hours on end looking at a ship?  It's not Holland, but did I give myself too much time? I wont know boarding time starts until  early October.

And when you do a back to back do you ever just stay on and chill, or do you go explore I dont see excursions for the town.Only going back to Rome.

@rafinmdI think you have a most excellent idea, and wish you luck with it.

DH wont do VA.  Penny has found Vet Buds and she wants to take him to a meeting, find out how he can get better benefits.

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

So sorry there are so many health problems today.  We did get some good news, the surgeon said, although everything showed up clear everywhere on the pathology, the cancer Pat has/had is very "tricky" and could reappear, so he will be monitored every 6 months with ultrasound, scans, bloodwork, etc., I guess forever, by the surgeon.  I was busily taking notes while the two Irishmen spent most of the time cracking wise!  Anyway, he has the green light to travel, and prescriptions to take with us, just in case.

Ann, overall that sounds like good news.  Monitoring evert 6 months sounds like a good choice.

3 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I saw the eye surgeon for my last check this afternoon. Eye pressure is good (15 and 17). Macular hole is closed. He releasing me back to my ophthalmologist. I still have some “threads” that hopefully get absorbed. Now to get new glasses! Thank you for all your prayers during this journey. 

Prayers being lifted up for Sam and his medical team. 🙏  

I like In-&-Out Burger’s burgers but hate their fries. Their fried need to be eaten right away or they get soggy. You cannot take them home. 

DH loves Burger King but unfortunately the one near us closed. 

My favorite drive-thru is a mom & pop burger joint. They know me/my voice (might be a bad thing?). We eat there about once a week. 

Marcia, that is good news.  I hope the threads are reabsorbed soon.

5 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

My favorite drive thru is Burger King, I love having tomato lettuce onion, mayo ketchup, heck they can leave the burger off.  I think DH's is Chic Fil A.  He loves their frosted coffees.  

I have a question, I think I made a major mistake.  I ordered the Roma cab to pick us up in Rome at 8 a.m.  to take us to the port.  But our ship does not leave until 7, I was thinking we would get there around 10/10:30, no tour included.  Will I be sitting on my butt for hours on end looking at a ship?  It's not Holland, but did I give myself too much time? I wont know boarding time starts until  early October.

And when you do a back to back do you ever just stay on and chill, or do you go explore I dont see excursions for the town.Only going back to Rome.

@rafinmdI think you have a most excellent idea, and wish you luck with it.

DH wont do VA.  Penny has found Vet Buds and she wants to take him to a meeting, find out how he can get better benefits.

Annie, I can't help about the Rome cab, but we we've stayed on board on turn around days.  For a few hours, it will almost be like having the ship to yourself. Or you can explore Chivitecchia on your own.  Once you get out of the port, Chivitecchia is an easily walkable town.  There might be a shuttle from the sjip into town.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

On my few B2Bs I stayed on the ship except once. You still have to report and exit the ship so they can do a zero count, sometimes it’s fast, sometimes it’s slow. The one time I didn’t stay onboard I went out and explored and when I came back to the ship it was easy to reboard, passing all the new embarking passengers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2