The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 10th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Lazy Day, National S'mores Day, and World Lion Day

I found there was only one way to look thin: hang out with fat people. - Rodney Dangerfield

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Grilled Shrimp Boil
Drink of the Day - Basil Berry Mojito
Wine of the Day - Tiroliro - Vinho Verde 2021
Destination of the Day - Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour

Today in History:
1675 King Charles II and John Flamsteed lay the foundation stone of the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 0700-1630

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Liverpool, England eta 12 Aug

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Oosterdam

Piraeus

Rotterdam

Firth of Forth, Scotland 0800(+1

Volendam

at sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 11 Aug

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

Seydisfjordur, Iceland 0800-2000

Zuiderdam

Cork, Ireland 0800-1700

0810aAlaska.thumb.png.b869af345f55cb34ed5bafbb1d2fd160.png

0810Atlantic.thumb.png.476b341ef307d8f0b2f91c00eb8d8ccd.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 18

Good morning. Thanks for the HAL Fleet Report and all the Daily information. Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. What’s happening in Maui is heartbreaking. 😢 I have family in Hawaii but none live in Maui. 

I’ve almost caught up with reading, I’m on page 3 of yesterday’s FR&D.

Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 31

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Tina, Dixie, and Ann for the Thursday (my local TV station calls it Friday Jr,) report.  Lions are majestic.  I especially like Lazy Day but don't have the patience to make S'mores and end up burning the marshmellow to a crisp.  Rodney Dangerfield was a scamp.  That observatory in Greenwich has become a world treasure.  I have been in Grand Cayman a few times but the only time I was due there on a BHB was on Maasdam in 2015 and we could not tender.

I'll pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad. Roasted Spice Crusted Prime Rib, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart A La Mode  which could have been my choices August 10, 1997 on SS Rotterdam V.

Continued prayers for all on the care list, especially Baby Murphy and family and the people of Maui.  Pleased to hear that @DeeniEncinitas is safe.

Looks like possible rain today.

Roy

• Like 36

Today’s Care list:

Ger_77’s DH’s cardiac catheterization today

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye appointment

Catmando starting immunotherapy today

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, hopefully off ECMO soon

Mamaofami’s DH Sam in the hospital for brain bleed, await repeat CT scan results

1Angelcat’s friend Barb post-surgery for pancreatic cancer

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina town gone

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Sharon in AZ’s family member’s situation

Lobsternight’s great nephew with bike crash, multiple fractures, surgery

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Smitty34877’s DH Lou with chemo side-effects

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Tbay!

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

Highland Cruiser heading to Yellowstone Park with DGS

Aliaschief off to Pittsburgh to visit DS

Baby Murphy’s heart functioning normally

Marshhawk with good news from her Pulmonary appointment

Cruzn single’s move almost complete

Kochleffel getting accepted into graduate program 

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 17 to Aug 26)

AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Copper10-8 (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Basil Berry Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1 part Cruzan® Strawberry Rum
Juice of one whole Lime
4 sliced fresh Strawberries
4 whole fresh Basil Leaves
Soda Water
Pepper, Black

Instructions
Muddle basil with strawberries, simple syrup, and lime juice. Fill with ice and add remaining ingredients and top with ice. Stir. Top off with soda water. Garnish with a small basil leaf and fresh ground pepper.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 6.59.07 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We've got rain here, but Bertie still wants to go for a walk.  Once in a while everyone needs a Lazy Day but I don't think it will be today for me.  Not a fan of s'mores.  Lions are magnificent.

Funny quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'll pass on the drink and hope the wine is tasty.

I haven't been to George Town.

I enjoyed our visit to the Royal Observatory.

Prayers for everyone.  Such tragic news from Hawaii.

I hope there are lots of celebrations.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

A southern classic, a shrimp boil (low country boil) recipe usually includes corn, potatoes, sausage, and shrimp boiled together in one pot and packed full of delicious flavor. Plus, because all ingredients are cooked together, they are packed to the brim with delicious seasoning. Old bay seasoning enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients. Then, you add in some freshly squeezed lemon wedges to top it off. After it’s cooked, you typically place all of the food straight onto a table lined with a paper tablecloth. Everyone eats right from the middle, and it’s an experience. It makes a great family dinner and is easy because you don’t have to make any extra sides.

Easy Grilled Shrimp Boil  Quick and easy grilled shrimp boil with large tiger prawns, fresh corn, baby potatoes and sausage, is tossed in a classic seafood seasoning blend and fresh parsley and drenched in creamy melted butter. It's buttery, garlicky and lemony. Grilling just brings out more depth of flavor with a hint of smokiness to it and gives it a nice texture with those sought-after charred grill marks. Plus, it takes just 20 minutes to cook. 

TMgq7rfVKEAa5mMTvFFHGSW2i4GiQq8ds6KMjhX6

Grilled Shrimp Boil Packets   By cooking shrimp in foil packets, it’s not only mess-free, but it’s also easy to handle. You don’t have to worry about losing any juiciness or seasoning while your shrimp is on the grill.  Plus, everyone gets their own serving in their own silver package. Shrimp Boil in Packets is an awesome camping recipe. An option for cooking in the oven is given.  The entire packet has only 646 calories.

hlvXPFXkllGRnSUaX3b0eIl4Biht8rlIuDM14Aj3

Cajun Grilled Shrimp Boil  Grilled shrimp, smoked sausage, corn and potatoes all smothered in Cajun seasoned garlic butter. It’s super flavorful thanks to that tasty garlic butter. In this version the potatoes and corn do get boiled for a few minutes then they get tossed in that fabulous Cajun seasoned garlic butter. The smoked sausages are grilled rather than boiled; the shrimp also get tossed with the garlic butter before hitting the grill. I love the extra smoky flavor grilling gives everything. The flavors are not lost in the water but get doused with them before each item is grilled up and then served with extra for drizzling or dipping after.

s-M6ZNRH8J8zTiRlbuS5Yr_94IOfokpL37jXk9YW

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s been a very busy couple of work days.  The “divorce “ project started and we now have a separation.  Once the system’s are confirmed to be stable we will start the next phase of the project.  I was on a bridge line yesterday for over 12 hours helping to troubleshoot any issues and validation.  At least I have tomorrow off and we will visit my mother and then on Saturday head over to Lancaster.

image.png.98cd0dacaa6ef4011170b3d7e45627d4.png

• Like 33

Good morning everyone. My DH is due to be discharged from the hospital today and going to a rehabilitation facility. He is on the road to recovery after a brain bleed, blood infection a d fever. It’s been over a week in the hospital so this is good news.Now, if we could prevent another fall all things could continue in the right direction.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 39
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the report, recipes and lists. I didn’t post yesterday as I was traveling to Northern Michigan to spend a week with my mom, love that there’s a seasonal direct flight from Boston to Traverse City in the summer.  I will join in on celebrating lazy day. Love smores and love them more when someone else makes them. I enjoy watching lions and would like to see them on a safari one day.  Rodney Dangerfield always makes me smile!  The meal and drink sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list and for those who need them. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events! 🥂

• Like 29

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. My DH is due to be discharged from the hospital today and going to a rehabilitation facility. He is on the road to recovery after a brain bleed, blood infection a d fever. It’s been over a week in the hospital so this is good news.Now, if we could prevent another fall all things could continue in the right direction.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Great news.

• Like 24

Good morning friends!  We have a balmy 48 already after a low of around 40 when we awoke.  It actually could have been in the 30's but I never saw that on my weather app.  The SUN is shining for us!  It actually may get up to 54 and let's hope so.  I have seen people dressed for Antarctica here in Iceland already.  They even have scarves tied around their face so that only their eyes show!  Must have thin blood.  Anyway we went out immediately after breakfast so I wouldn't have to wait till after 11 am to go, taking a chance on the nice weather leaving and not so nice taking its place.  We are in Seydisfjordur and this is my first time here.  I enjoyed just wandering around observing the early morning goings on.  I saw one man dressed in reflective garments walking around pulling trash bins out of back yards to the street.  You don't even have to take out your own trash barrel for pick up!  Yes, we had a good time already here in Seydisfjordur!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.  Today is Lazy Day, National S'mores Day and World Lion Day, all worthy of celebrating.  Well, maybe not lazy day but sometimes I feel that way as do we all!  The Dangerfield quote is quite funny.  I will enjoy seeing the Easy Grilled Shrimp recipes from Tina @0106.  Sounds yummy!  Thanks to Dixie @summer slope for the Basil Berry Mojito recipe but I shall pass.  Not sure what kind of wine that is but thanks go to Ann @cat shepard for describing it to us.  And good to know the last King Charles (II) was doing a good job laying foundation stones back in 1675.  I enjoyed visiting the Observatory during a London visit.

Prayers for all on the Care list which unfortunately seems to add something every day.  Those affected by the fires in Maui have my prayers and good wishes.  So glad Denise @DeeniEncinitas is okay and hope that continues.  Happy Birthday @Tbay and congrats to those also on the Celebration list with you.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the lists updated and posting for us each day!

Today's port is Georgetown, Grand Cayman Island.  This port holds the honor of being our first Port of the Day listed here back on March 1, 2021 by Rich @richwmn He asked if we would like to try this feature and we all seemed to concur!  It was also listed here on Jan. 19, 2022 and April 6, 2023.  I have been there a several times so probably posted a photo or two.  I'll add all the links so everyone can grab their photos promptly.

When checking out my photos on the first date, March 1, 2021 they are not showing up on the Daily for that date.  Must be too long ago!  But the photos I posted on the Jan. 19, 2022 and April 6, 2023 show up, so here they are.

In Dec. 2004 we first went to Georgetown on the old Dawn Princess.  Here is a photo taken from the tender as we approached the town.  We walked around but didn't take many pictures.  I had no idea at the time I would be making photo books for all my cruises, so those early books had a very short supply of photos to choose from.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtRqcK0s07SETHLnxBQQVy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365184658

That is the trip we met our late friend John and his wife Jean.  We hit it off so well we decided to dine together all 10 days.  It was amusing to see him scan the menu, then pick the "always available" steak, baked potato and a hot fudge sundae every single night!  Might as well live it up when cruising, right?

In Feb. 2019 we boarded the Rotterdam for a three week Caribbean cruise.  We arrived in Georgetown after a 21 knot cruise from Curacao.  While walking around the town we checked inside the Elmslie Memorial United Church.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-speIpLIqkRTsSD3VxHyg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551118453

And the outside of the church.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKG69DUH_l-AKhBX8EPEkZv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120105

Then we saw the Peace Memorial Building with the historic clock tower outside it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFoSt_bL9-d-kZR6uxfGbx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120140

The cenotaph where Remembrance Day ceremonies are held.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTzzhunnXGXpXBHbSxdkw7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120112

Here's the Aspiration monument which is a tribute to Caymanian women located in Heroes Square.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJAFpx1XfSRYK9c41X7VyJ_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120153

The Legislative Assembly Building.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzV88k8-1BO4McA24Yzwtk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120112

Another hot day in the Cayman Islands.

I wonder what Debbie @dfish and Sue have on the schedule today here in Seydisfjordur?  It will be fun waiting to see what she has to say and show us.  I can probably get some pics of the little village off my phone posted here though it is a frustrating experience doing it that way.  Sure wish I could get photos from Shutterfly and post them here on the laptop but that won't happen!  See you all later!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning Dailyites. 

I spent the night tossing and turning. I'm just absolutely devastated over our beautiful island of Maui. I'm thankful our Denise and David are safe @DeeniEncinitas !! We spent almost 40 years there, watching it grow from a sweet, sleepy town into the bustling Lahaina town. My thoughts are with all on the island. I suspect Denise is already reaching out to those she can help. 

Yesterday I had bloodwork and bone density scan. Next week meet with my endocrinologist for my yearly IV treatment for osteoporosis. Hope my results are better!

I am not crazy about s'mores but I love to char my marshmallows and I'd be #6 below! We had a s'mores party last fall around our fire pit and it was alot of fun. 

image.png.a4d6743530892e7767195013a4e5d429.png

I'm going to save lazy day for our time on a BHB. I always feel like I need to do something to keep me busy at home. 

image.png.a482f4bc43088d730f0ae18670526159.png

Prayers lifted for all who are ill,  in hospital, living in war zones, or down in the dumps. Hugs for sweet "S". 

Cheers for all cruising and celebrating life. Thanks be to God!

image.png.316b7e7188872a180548d7ea50c260a9.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Road trip this week for Lilly's 1st birthday and her Baptism. Looking forward to seeing family as well!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need today.

- Jack

• Like 32

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.  I haven't had a smore in decades but they are wonderful fun for the kiddos.  Wish I could be lazy today, maybe in 7 weeks when we are back downstate. Lions deserve a day to recognize their decreasing numbers in the wild.  Funny quote by RD.  We have been to Georgetown once but just walked around town.  I think it was Zuiderdam December 2019.  I was looking forward to going this year but it was changed to a visit to Jamaica, not the same. 

Prayers for all the people of Lahaina, especially those who lost their lives, burned, and lost their homes, businesses and pets.  It was a charming town. @JazzyV thanks for keeping us updated on all life events and celebrations each day. Prayers for all needing them and the people of Ukraine.  A beautiful but breezy day today.  Rain all day tomorrow so we will kill time driving an hour to Iron Mountain to get groceries and lunch and then perhaps fish fry somewhere.  Have a wonderful Thursday.  Nancy 

• Like 29

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 22°C and partly cloudy.

We attended a lovely church funeral service for one of Pauline's cousins at the independent Methodist church.

3 interesting days and a humourous quote.

Today's food sounds good.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich. It is a nice morning here. I am having difficulty getting the images from Lahaina out of my mind. So many of us were welcomed by those lovely people.  

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. Zumba, Bindi walks, a couple of electrical projects, chores & maybe pool time. I am just outside of the excessive heat & humidity index area - barely. I will be thankful for any favor, no matter how small.  I think our offshore breezes help keep it West of me. 

You know who you are…

IMG_1608.jpeg.b8fd5a4e44bfc13c3a28a5cfaadec44f.jpeg

None of us have to worry about this…

IMG_1602.jpeg.9eb9faf29d1a676c065786a62d82878a.jpeg

And just for laughs…

IMG_1558.jpeg.e1ab7b43b83df5a589f93997f704c7b3.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone. 

Tiroliro - Vinho Verde 2021

This vino verde sounds perfect for these hot & humid days. Not a great deal of critic info, but consumers enjoy it. Available from a decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $10.49.

89 Wine Enthusiast 

This is a smooth, creamy style of Alvarinho with ripe baked apple flavors. This is a rounded wine, with a fine touch of minerality at the end. Drink now.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 7

Can’t be lazy today… eye surgery followup, errands before our car trip Saturday, and organizing for packing tomorrow. Awake too early but plenty to do. 

Roy’s lion picture was just a few hours early. Excellent picture!  

Can’t quite imagine grilled shrimp boil but Tina will tell us.  I think I’ll make a double dinner of yesterday’s Chicken Caprese and bring a supper’s worth with us Saturday to have upon arrival. 

@DeeniEncinitas we are so relieved you are safe, and praying you can stay safe. There will be so many who will need help. Thank you for checking in. 

Things usually needed at evacuation shelters are comfort items and toiletries especially soap and toothbrushes. Kids stuffed animals, diapers. Possibly mats like yoga mats, pillows, blankets, towels. We used to collect and stock these things in our firehouse and church which also bough cots… the church was our local evacuation center in our NM mountain community which had too many fire evacuations. Food should be only dropped off according to a shelter’s directions and needs- don’t want it wasted. Keep safe, keep calm and help each other. The first two days are utter chaos before aid is organized but this is the time of need for comfort- physical, emotional and spiritual. 

We have enjoyed many visits to Lahaina. This situation is shocking and reminds us that disasters can strike anywhere, quickly and without warning. Our worst fire spread at over an acre per second for the first 10 hours! 41,000 acres in 10 hrs.  (I think a hectare is about 2.4 acres, roughly, I need to check sorry I don’t think in hectares). We worked that fire a long initial overnight.  Some of our fire department members lost homes and their horses that night. Stuff can be replaced but it is traumatic to lose a home or business, one’s livelihood. Loss of loved ones is beyond devastating. The initial community impact is paralyzing, but with an in-pouring of support hope can be kindled and nurtured quickly. Sending prayers!  

Blessings to all of our Daily family, our Care list… Gerry, I’ve lost track, it is today?  praying for Amazing for the pacemaker, it’ll bring new vitality!  Annie, is Chuck starting chemo today?  Terri, a new day, hoping it’ll bring more resolution than problems. And Murphy, May she keep getting stronger. You are all in my heart!  

Celebrating with all who are reaching new milestones, Life is Good!  

Safe travels to all away, Bruce, Debbie, Sandi. 

Thanks to all the picture-posters!  The beauty in the land, sunsets and flowers, the joy in the fur babies, the excitement of travel adventures… thank you all for sharing with us, warms our hearts!  
m—

@mamaofamiGreat news Carol!  Praying DH continues to recover and strengthen, no more falls!  

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. I like s’mores but usually char the marshmallow too much.I would love a lazy day but that is not going to happen.Lions are to be celebrated.

I am sending prayers for @ger_77’s DH today while he has his procedure. I was happy to hear that @mamaofami’s DH is able to progress to rehab today. It was also so good to hear that  @DeeniEncinitas and her DH are safe on Maui. I was sorry to see that so many others have died in the fire.

One of the first concerts I went to as a teenager was to see The Band. Honestly, I still remember how incredible it was to hear “The Weight” and “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” from our nosebleed seats. I learned those songs and many others on the guitar and often play their music for myself in the car and sing along. Robbie Robertson was so incredibly talented and just kept going with his recent film with Scorsese.

I made the chicken caprese last night to rave reviews except for DH who finds most things tasting metallic. The foil packages of shrimp sound very good the next time I can use the grill. That won’t be today as thunderstorms are coming all afternoon and evening.

Take care everyone.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2