avoid Regal Princess - internet speed is slow - 3 mps

jrblach

we are on Regal for 25 days Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. sailed Sept 29. internet speed is like dial up - only 3 mbs.  ship will not fix it even though we bought all these plus packages.  we we were on sky in August and internet was fast = like at home. 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, jrblach said:

we are on Regal for 25 days Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. sailed Sept 29. internet speed is like dial up - only 3 mbs.  ship will not fix it even though we bought all these plus packages.  we we were on sky in August and internet was fast = like at home. 

We've done a lot of cruising since it started back up and if you're averaging 3 mbs download speeds while on your TA cruise, that's really good! Now, once it starts dropping below 0.7 mbs download speeds, you might start running into some "slowness" issues to include being able to log onto CC.

BTW dialup speeds back in the day were 1200 bps, just saying. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

We were on Regal in August. I had no issues with the internet (via Plus) speed for browsing and email. To avoid a ship because of internet speed seems extreme. We loved Regal.

Edited by georgemoe
  • Like 5

Internet speed is very important for many folks, myself included, and can be an absolute deal-breaker.  for folks who have to conduct some work while on vacation, have other business commitments, or want it for social or entertainment reasons. Internet can be vital nowadays.

I too had fantastic internet two years ago on the Sky.  Not sure why Princess would switch to Skylink if it results in a lesser internet service.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrblach said:

We are on the same cruise. Can't comment on your experience, BUT

Been able to facetime with our Grandkids,

Watch Netflix every night,

Able to cable my phone to my TV and watched NCAA Football and NFL via YouTubeTV.

VPN working perfectly.

Guess everyone has a different experience and expectations.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

We are on the same cruise. Can't comment on your experience, BUT

Been able to facetime with our Grandkids,

Watch Netflix every night,

Able to cable my phone to my TV and watched NCAA Football and NFL via YouTubeTV.

VPN working perfectly.

Guess everyone has a different experience and expectations.

Mahalo for sharing your experience!

• Like 2

Reasons for choosing a cruise:

1. Itinerary

2.. Compatibility of the cruise line's lifestyle to my lifestyle. 

1,003-Color of socks worn by the waitstaff

1,004-Brand of sheets on the bed

1,005-Number of links on the chain connecting the main anchor

1,006-WiFi speed

1,007-Quality of viewing of the Perseid meteor shower

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 25

I think 3 mbs is amazingly good for satelllite internet with many other passengers using the service at once. A decade ago, I was thrilled to be able to send and receive simple text emails and count the seconds for anything to happen on the screen.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Reasons for choosing a cruise:

1. Itinerary

2.. Compatibility of the cruise line's lifestyle to my lifestyle. 

1,003-Color of socks worn by the waitstaff

1,004-Brand of sheets on the bed

1,005-Number of links on the chain connecting the main anchor

1,006-WiFi speed

1,007-Quality of viewing of the Perseid meteor shower

I have to admit, unlimited internet service is definitely important to both my DW as well as myself. Afterall, how would my DW be able to play her computer games and I post to my Live From thread during the downtimes! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have to admit, unlimited internet service is definitely important to both my DW as well as myself. Afterall, how would my DW be able to play her computer games and I post to my Live From thread during the downtimes! 😂

I have been able to keep my Wordle streak going, even with slow speeds!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

I have been able to keep my Wordle streak going, even with slow speeds!!

When we were on the Regal back in July 2022 on the New Love Boat B3B cruise in the Med, the ship was full with over 400 young adults on each leg. Staring around 10 pm to about midnight each night, the speeds got down to around 0.50 mbps because many of them were logged into their various social media sites uploading pictures and chatting with their friends. BUT I was still able to post photos and text to my Live From thread. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrblach said:

Considering that 56kbs is pretty much the max dialup speed 3mbs is over 50 times faster. A considerable improvement these days compared to last year when it was not uncommon on TA cruises to have speeds in the 100kbs range.

Currently on Island Princess off coast of Norway speed is 2.7mbs.

Edited by ldtr

For me, good Internet speeds are essential as I have to work 2-3 hours a day while on a cruise (tradeoff for being able to take 3 weeks away at a time). I even pack a 22" monitor so I have a second screen to work on.

I will take 3mbps every day if I can. 3mbps works for Teams meetings and I can download the reports needed although the download will take a little longer. I can also watch some youtube videos at that speed. We had 3mbps on Enchanted January this year.

We have had much worse with NCL Getaway in March with less than 1mbps (a couple of weeks before they got Starlink). On the Carnival Horizon last fall, there was barely any speed.

We are looking forward to being on the Emerald in a couple of weeks, and also have 12 night Carnival Venezia right after. I know the Venezia has Starlink, and I am hearing the Emerald may have it as well. 

21 hours ago, richsea said:

Are you really saying to avoid Regal Princess, or any ship for that matter because of the internet speed? Seems a little drastic. 

Absolutely agree, who in the world would pick a ship because of the internet

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrblach said:

internet speed is like dial up - only 3 mbs.  

I have never in my life seen dialup internet at a speed anywhere near 3 mbs!  The best that was EVER provided by *anybody* was 56 kbps...and few ISPs provided that (at least in my area.)

Every time someone mentions needing the internet while cruising, they are attacked.  I assume a day working online from a cruise ship beats a day working in your office.  Of course there are other reasons.  Why judge? When I retired 4 years ago, there were few digital nomads.  Now I know dozens who have no permanent address and work from wherever they are - which is usually much nicer (and often less expensive) than where they used to live.

I’m not sure what the OP’s problem is if someone on the same cruise is able to stream Netflix and FaceTime with grandkids.  Could it be an issue with wifi specific to their cabin as opposed to internet from the ship?  I’m no techie. But maybe some of the IT folks here have a theory.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 3