Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

10 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Have a great cruise, Selbourne, I’m looking forward to reading along.

Hope you’re not getting too seasick.

Re the panacotta debate - I hate milky things so wouldn’t even consider trying it 😝

Same here, apart from chocolate milkshake (haven't had one for years though) and the occasioanal hot chocolate.

On the panna cotta debate, I hate the texture of them.

On Britannia last month there was chocolate cheesecake on the menu, which I asked for until the waiter told me it wasn't like a proper cheesecake?

A little later he showed us what it was - the only way to describe it was as a chocolate panna cotta😕

21 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We are getting buffeted around quite a bit already and we’ve only just passed Portsmouth 😂 Bad news - just realised the packet of Stugeron that we brought with us only has one strip of tablets in it 🫣 May have to have a few extra drinks to counter the effects (does that work? 😂) 🤮

We were told by a Captain once to have port and a decent brandy together, he called it “the stabiliser”. It may not have helped Mal de Mer but you didn’t remember feeling ill at least.

Another officer recommended champagne, I have to say that is my go to for sea sickness. Destructive interference principle and yes it does work, I have relied on it numerous times.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We were told by a Captain once to have port and a decent brandy together, he called it “the stabiliser”. It may not have helped Mal de Mer but you didn’t remember feeling ill at least.

Another officer recommended champagne, I have to say that is my go to for sea sickness. Destructive interference principle and yes it does work, I have relied on it numerous times.

Enjoy your cruise.

Many moons ago, 1967 to be precise, I emigrated to Canada with 2 other girls on the Cunard Sylvania.  We had a Force 11 for 5 days.  I was sick for 3 of them.  We finally managed to make it to the bar on the 3rd evening and the waiter gave us all brandy & port.  I don't like either, but it certainly worked.  Ship was only 15000 tons.  We passed the Queen Elizabeth on her last journey and she kept disappearing behind the swells.

R.M.S. Sylvania (II)

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Enjoy your cruise.

Almost worth feeling poorly for!   🥂

• Haha 4

Many moons ago I had an evening job in a pub. We had a big New Year party till about 3am, and the next day myself and 2 friends were doing the lunchtime shift. Our hangovers were torturous. When we walked into the pub to work, our landlord had 3 port and brandys lined up on the bar and insisted we drank them before opening time - they were the best cure ever!  Couldn't do it now mind - just the smell of alcohol makes nauseous. What a lightweight! Jane xx

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

On Britannia last month there was chocolate cheesecake on the menu, which I asked for until the waiter told me it wasn't like a proper cheesecake?

A little later he showed us what it was - the only way to describe it was as a chocolate panna cotta😕

Yes they had that in Limelight Club on Arvia.  I love pannacotta but that was a weird thing.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Enjoy your cruise.

My mum swore by port and brandy and I can back her up on it. As long as its a decent brandy and a decent port! Have 2 or 3 and you won't care about the waves !!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

My mum swore by port and brandy and I can back her up on it. As long as its a decent brandy and a decent port! Have 2 or 3 and you won't care about the waves !!

Not sure about port and brandy but brandy and more brandy sounds better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

Obviously we all have different tastes but imho whilst the hot desserts in the mdr aren't too bad, the vast majority of the cold ones (not including ice cream or fruit salad in this) are pretty dire. There is the exception of course but I found them generally pretty awful.

22 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Obviously we all have different tastes but imho whilst the hot desserts in the mdr aren't too bad, the vast majority of the cold ones (not including ice cream or fruit salad in this) are pretty dire. There is the exception of course but I found them generally pretty awful.

The pre covid ice cream sundaes were all delightful and very popular, so I really do wonder why they no longer offer them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Porridge. It tastes the same coming up as it did going down🤣

• Haha 6

53 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You obviously don’t know how to make it properly then Zapp 😀

I may be Scottish, but porridge - no.    Nor Irn Bru.

Although never as bad as the thought of mushroom panna cotta.    So wrong, on so many levels, not least that it contains the word "mushroom".   The devil itself.    I'll stick to the five flavours of dessert panna cotta I've just eaten my way through on Euribia.

• Like 2

Selbourne as a matter of interest how many formal night are planned for your cruise. Last week N331 was 1 week and we expected 2 but only ended up with 1. Not sure if this was due to it being half term cruise with a huge amount of kids on board? Just wondered if the rest of the fleet might be reducing formal nights following in Iona?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Plugtheleak said:

Selbourne as a matter of interest how many formal night are planned for your cruise. Last week N331 was 1 week and we expected 2 but only ended up with 1. Not sure if this was due to it being half term cruise with a huge amount of kids on board? Just wondered if the rest of the fleet might be reducing formal nights following in Iona?

Hopefully they are. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, showingdiva said:

I may be Scottish, but porridge - no.    Nor Irn Bru.

Although never as bad as the thought of mushroom panna cotta.    So wrong, on so many levels, not least that it contains the word "mushroom".   The devil itself.    I'll stick to the five flavours of dessert panna cotta I've just eaten my way through on Euribia.

Love porridge, never ever drink irn bru. Like a mouthful of pure sugar, yuck.

I’m looking forward to reading Selbourne,s review of the food onboard in particular. 

• Like 1