Sunday November 5th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is American Football Day, National Chinese Take Out Day, and National Love Your Red Hair Day

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.--Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Meal Suggestion for today - White Chicken Chili
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark Collins
Wine of the Day - Granite Hill Cellars Old Vine Zinfandel
Destination of the Day - Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island

Today in History:
1492 Christopher Columbus learns how to grow and harvest maize (corn) from Cuba's indigenous population

Ship Locations

Eurodam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

Ensenada, Mexico

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination New Orleans, Port NOLA, Louisiana eta 11-06

Nieuw Statendam

Bari, Italy 06:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Las Palmas, Spain 09:00 - 22:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Bonaire eta 11/6

Volendam

Rarotonga Island, Avarua, Cook Islands NZ 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Cape Horn, Chile Antarctica

Zuiderdam

Salalah, Oman

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Brisbane, Queensland Australia eta 11-09

Westerdam

Manila, Luzon Island Philippines 08:00 - 18:00

1105World.thumb.png.926ec0eb7305744387ff2d23da7e7e1c.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 18

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, weaning CPAP & TPN

Cruising sister’s DB post toe amputation 

Cruising-along’s DGS with a broken wrist

Cruzin Terri’s DH with swollen and painful knee

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

Earthquake victims in Nepal

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

NextOne post valve replacement, back home after a trip back to the hospital

HAL Sailer’s DH recovering after hospitalization

Mamaofami’s DH Sam recovering after several hospitalizations

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Lady Hudson (Katherine and Bill)!

Welcome home ocean sounds!

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy extubated, weaning CPAP & TPN!

SusieKIslandGirl in GA visiting her DS

Cruising-along’s DDIL asked to display some of her artwork

Superoma’s successful cataract surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Heartgrove (Carnival Venezia Nov 9 to Nov 20,Eastern Caribbean)

6 days for GTVCruiser (Koningsdam Nov 11 to Nov 25, B2B, Mexican Riviera & Classic Pacific Thanksfiving Coastal)

7 days for Rafinmd (Rotterdam Nov 12 to Nov 24) Panama Canal Sunfarer

Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau), Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami), Seagarsmoker (Eurodam to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer), Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam to Nov 9, Adriatic Dream, celebrating 33rd anniversary onboard), LAFFNVEGAS (Koningsdam to Nov 11, Classic CA Coastal), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas to Nov 12, Bahamas/Perfect Day), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell), Kochlöffel (Oosterdam to Nov 15, Spanish Farewell), Vict0riann (Oosterdam to Nov 15, Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

Good morning and thank you for the Report.

Cool and cloudy here today, but at least there isn't any snow.  I took Bertie for a walk yesterday afternoon and didn't need a coat, the sun was marvelous.

I enjoy watching American football.  I like Chinese food, but I don't think we'll have that for supper tonight.  I don't have red hair.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  The drink might be good, but I'll pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Hawaii (yet).

A good day in history, corn is a very important crop.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

• Like 29

Good morning.

It is 48°F and sunny here.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

It is Guy Fawkes (Bonfire night)tonight here in the UK.

Interesting food today.

We enjoyed Hawaii on our 15 night Grand Princess Hawaiian cruise November/December 2019.

Happy sailing for everyone cruising now or due to cruise soon.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20231105_105243.jpg

Screenshot_20231105_105320.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely nippy morning, but no breeze - yet! Yesterday’s wind made the beach clean up quite challenging, but lovely warm sun made up for it. And the Pelicans were doing some amazing maneuvers in formation.

Vanessa, praying you get some relief from your pain. Thank you for everything you do for us. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and chores. 

IMG_1930.jpeg.519e2aa5aaccb3fe37bec7bdb8eae3ef.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg.5a55b893d35dcba7e92cfa6b265089ce.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg.3e4363d7d953d75f073208c86d3a2b24.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, hope Lou’s Remembrance Day yesterday helped you find peace. Praying for you, Tana, your families and your support teams. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying for you & your DH. Don’t forget you. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Especially Baby Murphy who is showing us all what a fighter she is. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Granite Hill Cellars Old Vine Zinfandel

Consumers think this California Zinfandel is very good - excellent.  Zinfandels are often a bit too much for me to handle, but since this one is medium bodied, I would like a taste. It is widely available and reasonably priced with online prices starting at $10.99.

Distributor notes

Granite Hill Cellars is a newly released brand by the Kautz Family of Lodi, California. The name comes from the rocky and “granite” terroir the family’s vineyards grow on. The soft rolling hills, in conjunction with the Pacific Ocean Delta breezes make these vineyards ideal for grapes of distinction. Practicing “sustainability” for over 30 years, the family is committed to the longevity of their land and the environment around them. Loaded with aromas of blackberry jam, followed by flavors of black cherries, strawberries, soft peppercorn and a sweet & smoky spice that finish long, flavorful and lingering.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

Good Sunday morning friends!  It's approx. 43F this a.m. but we expect temps in the 72-72 range with sunshine all day.  Beautiful!  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.

American football day is a popular day here I bet.  I don't follow the NFL but in college football Michigan and Ohio State won yesterday! 🏈 National Chinese take out day is not bad either, and it's a great day to love your red hair.  Hmmm on the quote.  I love white chicken chili but DH got tired of it so we don't make it very often.  No thanks to the drink and the wine.  An interesting fact about Christopher Columbus in 1492.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports.

Prayers for all on the Care list especially Baby Murphy, Tana, Vanessa, Lorraine's DB, Carolyn's DGS, Terri's DH Jim, Edi, @HAL Sailer's DH, and Sam.  Prayers as well for my DB and friends in need.  Praying for those at war and peace sooner than later.  🙏  A salute to all those celebrating happy events and those cruising.  Bon Voyage Katherine and Bill @Lady Hudson!  Welcome home @ocean sounds.  Smooth seas to everyone sailing.  Congrats to Ren and the FC Dallas team.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for continuing to produce these excellent lists even through all your pain and discomfort plus lack of sleep.  You're amazing!

The port today is Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.  In the past we simply called it Kona here and had that port on May 30, 2022.  I will post the link for you to retrieve photos.  I was on my first cruise back after Covid on Island Princess and didn't post photos.  But I can do that today.  Here's the link:

Photos of Kona coming up next.  Have a great day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Makers Mark Collins cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 part fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp Sugar
Soda Water
Garnish Maraschino Cherries
Garnish Orange Slice

Instructions
In a shaker full of ice, add Makers Mark® Bourbon, fresh lemon juice and sugar. Shake well and strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice. Top with soda and garnish with orange slice and maraschino cherry.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 7.01.10 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

Good morning. It is. 46 going up to 63 later today and partly cloudy. My hair was once red and I did love it but it is now gray. We have been to the port and I even think there are pictures somewhere.The recipe sounds good and I like the Vonnegut quote.

I think my DD DH would have loved his gathering yesterday. We were in a basement room called a “Speakeasy” which was decorated with pictures taken over the years in frames. There was the capability for a slide show but DD and I felt we would not be able to look at it without tears. Of course, there were tears anyway but an awful lot of people told me how kind Lou was and how missed he will be. He was a  man who loved his family and his work. My great niece told me yesterday that she studied to be a Social Worker because of him. It was great to see everyone and be out in the world for a few hours.

A huge thank you to all who wished us well yesterday. I truly appreciated your support and good wishes.

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 5

We visited Kona twice, in 2007 on Diamond Princess and in 2017 on Maasdam.

On Dec. 9, 2007 we stopped in Kona on a Diamond Princess Hawaii cruise, our first trip there.  We had an outrigger canoe shore excursion planned so tendered to shore with time to spare.  The view when we arrived on the dock.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

And the lagoon on the opposite side of the dock.  Our tour would leave from here.

Seated on my side of the outrigger.  It wasn’t an ideal place to take photos once we were away from shore so I don’t have many.

One of the few photos taken during that tour.

An hour later we stopped at this restaurant for a refreshing beverage

In 2007 we saw the Hulihe’e Palace which is a museum but a former home of Hawaiian royalty.

9.5 years later we visited on Maasdam and it looked like this.  A whole new color scheme and roof color

More photos from our April 2, 2017 visit on Maasdam.  The lagoon again on the side of the dock.

This time there were kayaks there.

As you leave the dock this is the main road along the shore looking towards the Hulihe’e Palace Museum and the MoKuaiKaua Church, established in 1820.

The former BHB Maasdam

The last time I saw Kona

A great place to visit in Hawaii.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann, and Graham.  I'll pass on today's days but will probably have the Ravens game on today while I pack.  I like the Vonnegut quote.  I am thankful corn is now a part of our diet, both kernels and popped..

I was in Kona way back in 1992 on a land trip but have not cruised there. 

I'll pass on the Chili.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Filet Mignon, and Baked Alaska as served in MS Prinsendam's Pinnacle Grill November 5, 2017:

dishes051.jpg

Bon Voyage @Lady Hudson.  It's way past time for @JazzyV to be getting some relief from all that pain.

Roy

• Like 35

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich

& thanks to Vanessa, Dixie, Ann & Debbie.

Interesting collection of days.  Not a football fan but I hope those that are enjoy the day and their football 😊. Yum on Chinese food.  My hair used to be quite reddish  but now just has hints.  Not in the sun enough, I guess 😉 

Interesting quote.  Meal sounds good sans chile.  We enjoyed Kona - and the volcano site we saw.

IMG_1633.jpeg.29c8603cc60a19384552b8f5c4f8de27.jpeg

Well, I did it.  I have 4 boxes ready to go to Bobby’s Hospice and 7 bags of coats, gloves, scarves, hats, etc ready to go to the homeless.  My goodness but mens

coats are some heavy!  

IMG_1637.jpeg.30ca0352f18bf0f8b10ef8a14cc01f1a.jpeg

My guy is helping me give away some of the stuff in the basement.  I don’t want the wrong strangers knowing I live alone or have them in the house so he is posting the items for me and will come over for the pick up to bring them up and give them to them.  How kind is that?  I see a nice Christmas gift coming his way. 😉 

IMG_1159.jpeg.57277597f942bb86f4dddacb95453ed0.jpeg

Raining here - hoping it clears up so I can work on the hostas.  This is probably the last chance of weather that is at least a few degrees above 0 and tolerable for that work 😔. This has been a very unseasonal November for us.

IMG_1161.thumb.jpeg.3175ff84c5a4aab79991315c3b87ea61.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries & those that need them.  🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1639.thumb.jpeg.df6189559091d6a501bf648138ecd73a.jpeg

Have a good Sunday everyone!

• Like 32
  • Haha 7

33 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is. 46 going up to 63 later today and partly cloudy. My hair was once red and I did love it but it is now gray. We have been to the port and I even think There are pictures somewhere.the recipe sounds good and I like the Vonnegut quote.

I think my DD DH would have loved his gathering yesterday. We were in a basement room called a “Speakeasy” which was decorated with pictures taken over the years in frames. There was the capability for a slide show but DD and I felt we would not be able to look at it without tears. Of course, there were tears anyway but an awful lot of people told me how kind Lou was and how missed he will be. He was a  man who loved his family and his work. My great niece told me yesterday that she studied to be a Social Worker because of him. It was great to see everyone and be out in the world for a few hours.

I am so glad you were pleased with Lou’s gathering yesterday 👍. I am sure he was looking down and smiling ♥️.  Prayers for you and your family on your painful journey of grief 💔 

IMG_0908.jpeg.40a56ec24e15d868f25177559ab91bee.jpeg

@Lady Hudson Bon Voyage!!!  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time !!!

IMG_1214.jpeg.e5ae5659e8070dd1668d778d20e79eff.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Yesterday afternoon when I looked at Seabourn’s app the itinerary link stated we would arrive in Charleston at midnight. Upon returning to cabin last night I looked at The Herald (Daily) and it stated we don’t arrive Charleston until ten this morning. Rechecked the app and our arrival had been changed to ten this morning. We do stay until 10:00 PM. Seabourn App is very similar to Hal’s.

It’s currently 48 degrees and is forecasted to reach 74.

We may go walk around but are contemplating staying onboard and enjoying the pool area which has been too cold to enjoy. Remember we have been here many times and I was stationed here. It’s a beautiful city.

Last night we dined in the Colonnade as the theme was Thai food. It was very good and served us well after the Galley feast we had at noon.

Brittaney from the ship’s cast did a solo performance last night. What a talent and performer. Later we had a female pianist  who was a former Steinway winner. Whatever that entails.

This first time Seabourne cruise is coming to an end. It has been a wonderful experience. There are no negative's. Seabourn works very hard and exceeds on pampering and treating its guest as royalty. It’s not snobby and fellow guest were all amiable and a joy to meet.

Coffee time. Thanks Rich and all who contribute to the Daily. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.19fb7e654936f62857db2ba598170be6.jpegimage.jpeg.be539344a4118acff9f183e458b0dcd7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2145408566a845a2af85391871192bb0.jpegimage.jpeg.5a5a3d249f0e1eb269a818ab863e6be9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.275c8a9febe664a803a4faec61752c09.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Haha 18

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

I can celebrate several of the days todays. The Misses can celebrate National Love Your Red Hair Day.

And I know I have told this before, National Chinese Take Out Day. When the Wright Brothers tried to take out Susie Wong she said, “Two Wrights Don’t Make a Wong.” 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 14

The Oosterdam is a few minutes away from docking at Las Palmas, and the captain announced that the bow would be open on the promenade deck for watching sail-in.

I had Roy’s alternative menu on embarkation night, except for wild-mushroom soup instead of the salad. I’m envisioning room service for dinner tonight because I have a webinar at 6:30 p.m. Gran Canaria time.

IMG_0039.jpeg.f7efb6d9e1a22fb5722a7813e366ceb1.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We visited Kona twice, in 2007 on Diamond Princess and in 2017 on Maasdam.

On Dec. 9, 2007 we stopped in Kona on a Diamond Princess Hawaii cruise, our first trip there.  We had an outrigger canoe shore excursion planned so tendered to shore with time to spare.  The view when we arrived on the dock.

And the lagoon on the opposite side of the dock.  Our tour would leave from here.

Seated on my side of the outrigger.  It wasn’t an ideal place to take photos once we were away from shore so I don’t have many.

One of the few photos taken during that tour.

An hour later we stopped at this restaurant for a refreshing beverage

In 2007 we saw the Hulihe’e Palace which is a museum but a former home of Hawaiian royalty.

9.5 years later we visited on Maasdam and it looked like this.  A whole new color scheme and roof color

More photos from our April 2, 2017 visit on Maasdam.  The lagoon again on the side of the dock.

This time there were kayaks there.

As you leave the dock this is the main road along the shore looking towards the Hulihe’e Palace Museum and the MoKuaiKaua Church, established in 1820.

The former BHB Maasdam

The last time I saw Kona

A great place to visit in Hawaii.  

Lovely photos Sandi.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

The Eurodam anchored off of Kona in 2018.

EurodamAnchored.2.thumb.JPG.bb9e7496cbe1c5ad7b8e747b73012bb6.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s going to be a nice November day.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good, especially if someone else does the cooking.  I think today is Texas Roadhouse for dinner, I have a coupon for an appetizer.  I already went to a grocery store that is about 20 miles away to get some Goya items that are available and cheaper there.  Plus got two turkeys on sale.  The freezers are full.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

This was so true this morning.

image.png.51360baf2aff15c30c2082deee82f385.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 8

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports Rich.   We will celebrate Football Day by heading to the casino to watch our out of market games.  The Ravens game is almost nationally televised but the Vikings is not so away we go.   I love Chinese take out but sadly the nearby Chinese restaurant has food like dog food.   Good quote by Vonnegut.   I will pass on the chicken chili but the Tom Collins looks good as does the vino from Lodi.   I have been to Kona once for a massive company celebration meeting.   I went early and spent a couple nights at Mauna Lani Bay and then to 5 days at the Hilton Waikoloa Village that was a Hyatt at the time.  The hotel was a destination itself.   I went deep sea fishing and a helicopter tour.  We had very rough seas for the fishing and it was all I could do to not get sick  I remember sitting out in the sun on a step stool reading the newspaper and looking at the shore.   We are going back there twice in 2025 on the Konigsdam.  

@JazzyV prayers your leg pain goes away.   @smitty34877I am happy to read Lou's remembrance went well and everyone shared happy memories.   Prayers for everyone needing them and for those in war zones through no fault of their own, Israel, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.  

A beautiful morning here.   

@Lady Hudson  Bon Voyage!   🍾

A Bon Voyage Themed Party - Decor To Adore | Ship poster, Vintage travel  posters, Best family holiday destinations

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1