kazu

Today is American Painters Day, Doggy Date Night, and Elmo's Birthday

Each day is the scholar of yesterday. - Publilius Syrus

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Drink of the Day - SoCo Float
Wine of the Day - Ruffino-Riserva-Ducale-Oro-Chianti-Classico 
Destination of the Day - Puget Sound

Today in History:
1870 US state of Iowa ratifies the 15th Amendment of the United States Constitution allowing suffrage for all races and colors
1966 1st soft landing on Moon (Soviet Luna 9)
1959 "The Day the Music Died" plane crash kills musicians Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, J. P. Richardson (aka The Big Bopper), and the pilot. near Clear Lake, Iowa

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island Hawaii eta 02-05

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 02-04

Oosterdam

Puerto Madryn, Argentina 09:00 - 17:00 

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00 

Zaandam

Miami, Florida 6:00-16:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island eta 02-06

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania Australia eta 02-06

Volendam

At Sea Destination Pulau Komodo Island, East Nusa Tenggara Indonesia eta 02-07

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Shanghai, China eta 02-06

• Like 14
  • Thanks 22

Thank you Roy and Jacqui for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 52°F at the beach this morning.

Beef stroganoff is nice.

Sad day in history when a plane crash killed Buddy Holly,Richie Valens and the Big Bopper JP Richardson.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

IMG_20240203_112659.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the report and the maps.

Clear, cold morning.  Only -7°C (19°F). 

Happy Birthday Elmo!  It's always doggy date night in our house.

Thought provoking quote.

The meal sounds good, I like stroganoff but have never made it in the slow cooker, looking forward to seeing recipes.  Not sure about the drink but I know I'll like the wine.

Prayers for our world.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning friends!  It's 46F here with a high of only 61 today and mostly sunny skies.  Yesterday we reached 68 and the winds were mild.  DH washed my SUV which will remain in the garage because rain is forecast for Sunday and Monday.  

Today we have for our entertainment Elmo's birthday and doggy date night which I need explained to me.  We should recognize American painters such as Norman Rockwell who is my favorite.  No comment on the quote.  Has anyone noticed we've switched to slow cooker recipes from butternut squash?  Still, I'm sure it would be very tasty.  No thanks to the cocktail or the chianti.  Three important days in our history.  Most would say they remember or know about the day the music died.  Thanks to our reporters Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard!

Prayers were said as I walked my miles on the treadmill today.  I included my friends here on the Daily mentioning people by name and hoping for improvement in your situations.  Also for my DB and friends Scott and Bob as well as their caretaker wives.  And for all in war situations in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held, and the military members in danger.  Sympathy to the families of the Georgia based soldiers killed this past week.  🙏😢  Congratulations to our cruisers on BHBs and anyone celebrating a birthday or anniversary! 🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyVfor the Care and Celebration lists even while getting little sleep, in much pain and other duties at home to keep you busy.  We appreciate it!

The port today is actually a body of water some of us have passed through, Puget Sound, Washington.  It's a lovely area but most of us don't think to take photos as our ships sail through.  I know I didn't.  And when I checked Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser didn't either.  We had that port once before on Sept. 7, 2021 so if you feel you posted photos that day please use the link to retrieve them for us.

My DD was notified by neighbors yesterday (while at school teaching) that a coyote was sighted and photographed right in the neighbor's backyard!  Most of the neighbors don't have fences so the coyote is free to roam.  She was freaked out because her dogs Sadie and Milo are released into their backyard wearing their invisible fence collars to do their business.  They won't be able to do that now and will have to have their Mom or Dad take them out now to protect them.  I hope animal control was notified and something can be done to protect everyone from this predator.

I hope you all have a nice weekend.  Safe travels, stay safe and keep well!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Bennybear’s having a friend pass

Smitty34877 with multiple family members sick

Haljo1935 with a sinus infection

Marshhawk feeling ill, and Bubbles crossing the Rainbow Bridge

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Rafinmd with elevated PSA and foot ulcer

Ger_77’s DH Maurice having breathlessness; getting changes in meds/PM

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mopree, Welcome to the Daily

Kochleffel’s (Paul’s) Mohs surgery completed with one pass

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Feb 8 to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Tupper10 (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 9d Southern Caribbean), Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta to Feb 8 ) 12d NZ Discovery, Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer, summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn(Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) andAliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Paul, Ann, and Eva.  I assume National Painters Day is for those who paint on canvas but I'll also celebrate those who keep our buildings and ships spiffy.

I'll pass on the other 2 days. 

I like the quote.  I have sailed Puget Sound on Crystal Symphony and on ferries but never on a BHB.  2 interesting days in Iowa history, one happy and the other sad.

The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Spaghetti Pomodoro, Chicken Parmigiano, and Pistachio Gelato as served in MS  Prinsendam's Caneletto February 3. 2019.

dishes03.jpg

We are coming into a string of cold mornings but warming up nicely in the afternoon.

Roy

• Like 32

Wow, while checking out days that are being celebrated on Feb. 3 I noted these:

Take a Cruise Day

International Pisco Sour Day

Golden Retriever Day

Feed the Birds Day

National Women Physicians Day

Carrot Cake Day

and National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, which @1ANGELCAT mentioned Monday.  I wonder if she went out for breakfast today?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Happy Saturday everyone.  A big thanks to Vanessa (who keeps such impeccable, detailed records), Rich, Roy, Ann, Paul & Eva for their dedication.

IMG_2050.thumb.jpeg.9bbc87e5684e62240c8b356de81a2abe.jpeg

Great collection of days.  happy birthday to Elmo!  Every night is doggy date night here 😉 Thoughtful and true quote.  Beef stroganoff sounds good but since I have lobster seafood chowder ready for tonight I’ll have to settle for that 😉. The day the Music Died is a sad one in history.  So much talent lost at such a young age 😔 

IMG_2069.thumb.jpeg.afe633be712cfa1aadbf17a1514c00cd.jpeg

this weekend I’m trying to put a few finishing touches on my Volendam cruise coming up.  And do some investigating for the SUV.  (it might not be worth getting rid of it). Storms on and off this weekend and into Monday.  We’re getting spared the worst of it so far but Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are really going to be nailed with blizzards and a ton of snow.

IMG_2049.thumb.jpeg.c6ab053475a0679db1c8bec848b0904e.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 26
  • Haha 7

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui. Roy thank you for our maps!

It is a bit cooler this morning - a brisk 41. But the sky was so clear. Venus looked lovely in the early dawn light.  Looks like another lovely day in paradise. 

IMG_2527.jpeg.be2b4f1c9b3740293388a6fd2fb64d02.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. Praying that soon you will enjoy days & nights free of pain and numbness. 

Bindi walks, Zumba, more grout work, need to hose the pollen & salt off the car - if it is not windy. I am hosting dinner for friends. With wine, of course. 

IMG_2529.jpeg.6b3196534e2b1bb007cb4f72a54a83b3.jpeg

IMG_2525.jpeg.cb60b614777990c12a267941045ff0ad.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg.5a0ca3212e59b469e3834afd6c8fe42c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, grieving the loss of a loved one, or in a funk. The caregivers. Terry, thinking of Tana, you and your entire family. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Good to read that our Hawaii bound Dailyites are doing better. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Ruffino-Riserva-Ducale-Oro-Chianti-Classico 

Occasionally I hit the “mother lode” of information about our daily wine. Today is one of those days. If you just like the tasting profile info - I bolded that section’s title near the end. Lots of consumer fans, widely available with online prices starting at $30.99. 

Winemaker notes 

VINTAGE: 2014
VARIETAL COMPOSITION:
85% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot, 5% Colorino
VINEYARDS:
Grape sourcing: Selected from Ruffino’s Gretole, Santedame, and Casavecchia di Cagnano estates located in the heart of Castellina in Chianti.
Soils: Hilly land with poor, rocky, galestro soils of mixed clay and sand Microclimate: Characterized by hot, dry summers with high diurnal temperature swings which allow for optimal grape maturation.
Altitude: 82–1,300 feet above sea level
Sun exposure: Predominantly south, southwest, and southeast Growing system: Cordon trained
Vine density: 10,000 per acre
Age of vineyards: 15–25 years
Vine yield: 12 tons per acre
VINIFICATION AND AGING:
Harvest: Riserva Ducale Oro Chianti Classico Gran Selezione is produced with grapes meticulously selected during harvest. The picking started at the third week of September and ended the first week of October. The vintage 2014 shows a vivid fruity note, with spicy hints and great elegance.
Fermentation: Aided by racking and punch-downs, fermentation took place in thermo-controlled stainless-steel vats at an average temperature of 82°F for 10 days. Post-fermentation maceration on the skins continued for an additional 10 days. The wine was transferred to concrete vats for malolactic fermentation.
Aging: A total of 36 months: the first 12 months in concrete vats, followed by 12 months in Slavonian oak barrels (about 925–2,000 gallons), and finally 12 months in barriques and tonneax.
Alcohol content: 14.5% by volume
SENSORY PROPERTIES:
Color: Ruby red with garnet hues
Aroma: Powerfully aromatic with cherry, plum, and tobacco with notes of eucalyptus, chocolate,
and spicy white pepper. Complexity of expression authentic to Sangiovese and Chianti Classico.
Tasting profile: Full-bodied and powerfully fruity with elegant tannins perfectly supported by a good acidity. The finish is characterized by pleasantly sweet tobacco, plums, and balsamic herbs.
FIRST YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1947

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 1

I have some good news and some sad news.  It looks like we will be having an early spring this year so that is good news.  The sad news is that South Dakota Sam has gone to that great gopher hole in the sky.  He tried crossing in front of a Ford F-350 with duallies, pulling a stock trailer, and unfortunately that was just too many tires for Sam to Dodge.  I visited with his mother, South Dakota Suzy, to offer her my condolences.  She vowed that she would make sure that there was a South Dakota Sam the 7th ready for next year, in honor of her dearly departed son.

• Like 7
  • Haha 15

Slow cooker beef stroganoff 

our slow cookers are sure getting a workout over the last couple of days!

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/easy-beef-stroganoff-recipe/

This one is done on the stove top and comes together quickly. 

image.thumb.png.93cbda9ea8faad7da8977dab9849ea9a.png

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff/1b3f2c90-0924-4744-a7c2-1b82a4d4e133

This one starts on the stove too and finishes in the slow cooker. 

Betty Crocker has some handy tips but I can’t get a picture to post.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff/

This one uses some different spices.  Usually stroganoff is served over egg noodles but use what works for you, rice, mashed potatoes, other pasta

image.thumb.png.d1b6c9a95a3aaafa07935243dfbd958b.png

Edited by superoma
Corrections
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today should be a nice day and there’s a chance we’ll see the sun.  This morning’s plans include a Target run and a trip to the bread outlet.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good, I suspect that we will dine out today.  I plan on booking excursions for our March cruise to use our HIA credits and getting a start on our taxes.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.b63e0b56ebef1c3377003a9785ffe56e.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, kazu said:
Oosterdam

Puerto Madryn, Argentina 09:00 - 17:00 

Good Morning Daily Friends from a rocking and rolling sea day on the Oosterdam.  Puerto Madryn was yesterday. About a month ago, I commented that our itinerary had changed and I need to reschedule all of our private tours.  Basically, Punta del Estes was dropped and Isla de Chiloe was added. Here is the correct itinerary.  IMG_8686.thumb.jpeg.fbf7238cba26b70fe2928058f8ab0135.jpegAll outside decks are closed and the captain recommends we have a relaxing Saturday watching movies in our cabins.  I believe the Antarctica lectures at 11 and 1 will be streamed into our cabins.  Check out my live thread if you are interested in my impressions of the cruise.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Cheers to American painters - whether they practice their craft on canvas or buildings.  We don't have a doggy to date, so it'll be kitty date night here.  Happy Birthday Elmo!!

image.png.551790026dd67fa509d30185e16b4503.png

Of course it's still dark here, but we're above freezing by 1 degree; there's only a high predicted of +3, but at least it isn't storming or -4,000 below zero.  Yesterday we had water running down the street, so the boys next door were having toothpick races along the sidewalk; they were having a great time.

The meds are starting to help DH get rid of the fluid in his body.  Yesterday I checked online to see the results of his x-ray and sure enough, he has pulmonary edema which will definitely be helped with the use of diuretics.  I kept telling him to drink more water, but of course, that was met with resistance.  Well, apparently in the middle of the night DH was hit with a whopper of a leg cramp and realized he was indeed, dehydrated.  But oh no, don't listen to me!  (shakes my head)  I'd better make sure there's enough Gatorade in the house today, and will put more on the grocery list.

Not much happening here for us, except that I will go out and get some groceries.  I made lemon cranberry muffins when our friends came over the other day which DH really enjoyed, and he's asked me for another batch, so I have to get the ingredients to put them together.  

I see @rafinmd has mentioned that the Zaandam is berthed at Miami, so checked the FLL site and they are full up with 7 ships in port today - can you imagine the traffic?  The taxis and ubers will be maxed out today with the emptying and refilling of those ships!

I would try the drink of the day, although I'm not a huge fan of Southern Comfort - on the other hand, I do love floats!!  I would definitely enjoy today's wine, and I've never made beef stroganoff in the slow cooker.  Re: slow cookers - I'd rather have more of those recipes than squash!  LOL   Yesterday I brought home some New York Fries (make that a lot of fries), the leftovers of which are resting in the fridge, so today I'll be baking panko crusted salmon and will reheat the fries in the air fryer, serving that along with coleslaw for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.  BTW, @kazuI'll swap you some of our salmon for your lobster seafood chowder!!

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in poor health.  Cheers to all who have celebrations or who are enjoying their time on a cruise. 

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 35

Good morning. I see the sun for the first time all week! It will go up to forty! Today’s recipe would be a hit in this house for the carnivores and may get made.I have not been to the port and every night is doggie date night. The quote is true and  it is hard to see how we don’t seem to learn from the past. I have been to Puget sound but not on a BHB.

It was a long night and I am really tired. I can’t seem to get moving in spite of a whole lot to do. The good wishes from all are appreciated. At least everyone did not get sick at once and the three who feel a little better can help take care of the two who do not!

@aliaschief, Bruce, sorry about your arm. It sounds painful. The pictures you post are just beautiful. Thanks for taking us along !

@marshhawk, so sorry about Bubbles but I am glad you have a list of other Vets. I hope you feel better soon but I am officially worried about you. There are so many illnesses of all types going around.

Wishing good things for all  today.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Roy and Jacqui for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 52°F at the beach this morning.

Beef stroganoff is nice.

Sad day in history when a plane crash killed Buddy Holly,Richie Valens and the Big Bopper JP Richardson.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

IMG_20240203_112659.jpg

And just when I thought you had forgot! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

Good morning everyone.  It’s our first sunny day since in what seems like the sun was invented!  Thanks for our daily report, recipe and lists.  Lots of nice days to celebrate today, John Singer Sargent is one of my favorite American painters.  I like the quote, a precursor to the Monday morning quarterback.  The meal sounds delicious, our slow cookers are getting a workout but this is their time of year.  I had to look up the drink and I think I’d like it made with diet root beer.  I’ve been to today’s port several times, I’ll try attaching a short video I took in 2009, my only photo.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5