The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 7th, 2024

kazu

Today is e-Day, Ballet Day, and Global School Play Day (first Wednesday in Februar

Beware the barrenness of a busy life. - Socrates

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Roasted Acorn Squash Soup (Vegan and Dairy Free)
Drink of the Day - Bikini Martini
Wine of the Day - Corazza-Pinot-Noir,-Trevenezie-Italy 
Destination of the Day - St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. 

Today in History:
1301 Edward of Caernarfon (later Edward II) becomes the first English Prince of Wales
1856 Colonial Tasmanian Parliament passes the 1st piece of legislation (the Electoral Act of 1856) anywhere in the world providing for elections by way of a secret ballot
1985 "New York, New York" becomes the official anthem of New York City

Ship Locations

Eurodam

St Johns Antigua, RCI Royal Beach Club 08:00 - 16:00 

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii - 18:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 08:00 - 16:00 

Oosterdam

Antarctic Experience 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 02-08

Zaandam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 11:00 - 23:00 

Zuiderdam

Hilo, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 08:00 - 18:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Darwin, NT Australia eta 02-10

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kagoshima City, Japan Kagoshima eta 02-09

• Like 19
  • Thanks 23

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

StLouisCruisers’ friend Scott hospitalized for infection, weakness, dehydration

Cruzin Terri with a trip and fall, with bruised face

Smitty34877’s Tana having a fever

Haljo1935 with a sinus infection

Marshhawk and her DH with respiratory illness 

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms 

King Charles battling cancer

RIP Toby Keith

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

lazey1 with mitral stenosis, now pulmonary edema; getting evaluated

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, doing PT, seeing surgeon soon

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Superoma’s DH with good outcome from seeing the hand surgeon

Ger_77’s DH Maurice getting a closer appointment for tests

57redbird making progress after her spine surgery, but still with some pain

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Feb 8 to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas

4 days for Quilty964 (Nieuw Statendam Feb 11 to Feb 18) 7d E. Caribbean

Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta to Feb 8 ) 12d NZ Discovery, Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer, summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106(Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7(Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 23

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

A cool 50 heading up to 73 with a gradual warming trend in the next few days, low 80s on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

I won’t be celebrating any of the days especially ballet day

A strange quote by one of my favorite Greeks

I’ll give the acorn squash soup a try 

We’ve been to St. Thomas over 35 times on cruises and it’s still my favorite Caribbean port

We’ve been packing the the last few days as we are moving a little bit west and north to Port Charlotte after returning from our Celebrity Equinox cruise which is from the 15th to the 24th

Off to the course in a few minutes

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Report.

Love the maps.

A nice warm day in the forecast.  Predicted high for today is 5°C (41°F), normal for today is -3°C (27°F).  I wonder how long it will last.

I don't know much about e and why it needs a day.  I'm not a fan of ballet.  Play day is important.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing recipes.  Not sure about the drink or the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Bertie and I will be heading out for a walk when the sun comes up.  Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  Another chilly morning at 33F but again we will have sunny skies and a high temp of around 60.  Another round of rainy days are expected here Saturday through Monday.

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet maps.  We can celebrate e-day even if we're not mathematically inclined, ballet day despite the fact we can't stand on one foot for more than 5 seconds, and school play day just because it might be fun!  I can see where Socrates might be onto something with that quote.  Oh no, acorn squash has become the new butternut squash.  No thanks to the bikini martini or the pinot noir. Most of the days in history celebrated today are memorable.  Thank you to Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports for today.

Prayers for my DB and friend Scott, the people of Israel (4 months later) and Ukraine (2 years later) and the hostages still held, the troops in harm's way, and the people of the Daily on the Care list.  There are many including Vanessa @JazzyV, Tana and Terry @smitty34877, Terry @Cruzin Terri after her fall, Roy @rafinmd, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Jane @lazey1, all the DH's with health issues, and several other Dailyites in pain.  🙏  Cheers to all of us celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and to all the cruisers!  🥂🎂🚢  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for handling that job for all of us even with all you go through every day!❤️

The port for Wednesday is St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, a popular Caribbean port of call.  This was the port of the day three previous times - Nov. 3, 2022, July 27, 2023 and Aug. 18, 2023.  Here are the links for your convenience.  I'll post photos for Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserand myself afterward.  Please do join in with yours since we all enjoy doing different things there.

Hoping for better health for all!  Have a great day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from beautiful St. Lucia. 

It promises to be a sunny and hot day with a nice breeze.

We have scrapped our beach plans due to my injuries and an early departure.

The bruising on my face has spread, which I expected.  I now look like I was the loser in a boxing match with two black eyes a bruised nose and forehead.  I want to hide under the covers.

Tonight is a cocktail party for repeat guests.  You can be sure that I am not showing up for that.

Thank you to Jacqui, Roy, Vanessa, Paul, Ann and  @superoma for your contributions.

Prayers for all on the Cares list and thank you to Vanessa for including me at this time.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Hope you are all enjoying your time at sea.

More later if I can get back on line.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

I remember our first stop at Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas, Dec. 2003.  It was only our second cruise and in those days we didn't go too far from the U.S.  We also didn't take long cruises at that time due to DH's work schedule.  On that day, we took a little tour which drove us around getting an overall look at the island.  Then we did some shopping and bought me something sparkly!

Ships docked at Havensight.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlvg0PZUp1D2H1iwVKJY4a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185492

And the opposite direction at Crown Bay.  Looks like there could be a BHB docked there to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiVdH15eHXCP8hyJsG7rRk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185495

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLhgGi-u5As3NcchuhinPSQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185520

Our open air van driving us around the island00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKoYW6mkDo7EXotpEvCSWQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185532

Beautiful Magens Bay00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZVaBGhY5zYB0sP_KwQlNe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185542

Next stop was St. Peter Greathouse which also had lovely views00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLN-ymPnyosFX1miTtdJSbQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185553

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLarkxpRtR0DcGXMpEXwwwd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185565

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKQKU8J0ciujM1qqlDBZhY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185574

Time for dinner, but enjoying the view from the balcony.  Happy to be wearing my new diamond slide pendant too!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9PYE4_zFDdytn0xsnCnyU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185596

Little did I know how big a part of our lives cruising would become.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Here are Lenda's photos of St. Thomas from the Aug. 18, 2023 Daily.

We have been to St. Thomas many times beginning in 1987 on our first cruise.  It was on the Costa Daphne, and we arrived at the ship in San Juan on Saturday, and our luggage arrived on the ship on Monday in Martinique.  We were still hooked on cruising. 

We have only been to St. Thomas once since we got digital cameras.  That was in 2004 on the Golden Princess, on our older DD and DSIL's wedding cruise.  They were married by the captain on a sea day.  That is the easy way to have a wedding.  We spent the day in St Thomas with DD and DSIL looking for the perfect sapphire for DD.  And she found the one she wanted at a reasonable price.

I don't have too many pictures from our day in St. Thomas.  The first two are from the ship.

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.5bbc12d36a10a6bc298439a8001b3085.JPG

IMG_2553.thumb.JPG.64a25d1956d4438e2a15abdca9eea776.JPG

This one is from the shuttle into town.

IMG_2555.thumb.JPG.78a207cec51b580e8e05daf46c4009fa.JPG

The moon over St. Thomas

IMG_2562.thumb.JPG.c2f34d589ee65d958bdb5338d8d5fa46.JPG

The most crowded we've seen St. Thomas was in December 1998 on older DD's college graduation cruise.  There were 11 ships in port that day.  The Ryndam was able to dock at Havensight, and there were ships docked at Crown Bay.  The rest were anchored in the bay, except for the Norway which had to anchor outside the bay because of her draft.  Walking down the main shopping street was a challenge since it was wall to wall people, even in the street.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It should be a nice day with temperatures in the the low 40’s.  One of DH’s uncles passed last week and he is heading to Lancaster tomorrow to attend the viewing and funeral.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, instead we are roasting a chicken.  It will be another busy work day.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.a7a3fb86493797c0abcb9feaeb915061.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps. Eva & Paul, thank you for fitting in so seamlessly to the F & B department. Sandi, thank you for sharing the pictures of all the amazing places in our world. Graham, thank you for helping us understand the more obscure days we celebrate. 

The wind came in like a lion yesterday. Every time I went out, I came back with a new hairdo. It is supposed to die down later this morning. The sky is so clear - clouds don’t stand a chance. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying that the next two weeks fly by for you. 

Bindi walks, more grout cleaning, HIIT and then taking a friend out for her birthday. Actually this will be a two part celebration. This evening we celebrate her leaving one decade. At the end of the month we celebrate her starting a new decade. 

IMG_2547.jpeg.a400d0a2108dd2dd780af918190bbf60.jpeg

IMG_2550.jpeg.e7b058d86f4f142d8e291f675b83190a.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg.5eefd6db0fdba8ccd5957e4644dd3a1f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain and debilitating conditions, grieving the loss of a loved one, or in a funk. The caregivers.   Terry, praying that Tana’s condition improves and that you get the help you need. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Corazza-Pinot-Noir,-Trevenezie-Italy 2021

Lovers of light Pinot Noirs take note. This Italian Pinot Noir (Nero) has a great many fans. I used the 2021 info, since that should be fairly easy to find.  Reasonably priced, a decent number of distributors and online prices starting at $17.95.

Winemaker Notes:

The Corazza Pinot Nero is a collaboration with one of Corazza’s most important wineries and follows a careful selection and study of one of the most important grapes in the world. The ties with this winery go back years, as it is located in the hometown of one of the Founders, Alex Corazza, right down the road from where he grew up! The expression of this Pinot Nero is quite different when compared to the more big bodied wines we can find on the West Coast of the United States. In fact, this wine is lighter and has a more prominent acidity and freshness, making it perfect for every situation, even to accompany fish dishes, which is often difficult to expect from a red. Vegan, minimal intervention.

Food pairing: Charcuterie, Comte or Brie cheeses, tuna, truffles, spices such as basil, cilantro or mint

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning from Antigua, St. John's.   We are taking a taxi to a grocery store though John found a pharmacy in walking distance perhaps they will have what we need, cough syrup and cold pills. My cough is slowly getting better, it has been a long haul.We opted out of it due to the high winds yesterday.   Today we have sunshine and a light breeze.  

Thanks for the daily reports and the maps @kazu and @rafinmd.  

Prayers for everyone on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  @Cruzin Terri I hope that you are feeling better even if the bruising is spreading.  

Here are photos from this morning.  

IMG_20240207_061310818.jpg

IMG_20240207_061351357.jpg

IMG_20240207_061436099_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240207_061452733.jpg

IMG_20240207_061326239_HDR.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Happy Wednesday. Halfway through the week. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny but chilly today. Should be warming up over the next few days. 

Busy today with meetings and clients. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for Wednesday cat memes

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy Hump Day everyone!!  

Interesting collection of days - i think I will celebrate Ballet Day.  Such a beautiful art!  I always considered  Socrates wise but I’m not sure I get this quote.  We’ve been to St. Thomas a few times - the first time was decades ago before a million cruise ships stopped there.  We were lucky enough to enjoy Magen’s Bay in its unspoiled, uncrowded time.  Now, any stop at St. Thomas has me going over to St. John.  Much quieter and very pretty.

IMG_1511.thumb.jpeg.ccf4d26097d3077b6fe63b9ad80b6087.jpeg

@cat shepard Ann, did you get a volunteer to fill in for you?  if you didn’t please drop me an email.  Sorry, I forgot which fleet report you listed yours on.  Thanks to Rich, Roy, Ann, Vanessa, Paul & Eva for your ongoing dedication.

IMG_2040.jpeg.fc27d0a3066ef88d7eb5202817e25e69.jpeg

unbelievable - it’s not snowing, freezing rain or cold beyond reason.  I will definitely get out today to get some errands done while it’s bearable.  

IMG_2035.jpeg.50b376f29e9ad26270aa050183f6c516.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂

IMG_2047.jpeg.9793b8b49864b342ca4254c444822586.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Haha 13

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Ballet Day. As a kid I was ballet this, ballet that. I had to stop ballet once I could not see my feet anymore! 😀

St Thomas; like Mister67, been there many times. Magen Bay use to be our favorite but has become too commercialized. Now favorite is Secret Beach. Since it’s a secret can not tell y’all how to get there! 😳

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 18
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

A cool 50 heading up to 73 with a gradual warming trend in the next few days, low 80s on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

I won’t be celebrating any of the days especially ballet day

A strange quote by one of my favorite Greeks

I’ll give the acorn squash soup a try 

We’ve been to St. Thomas over 35 times on cruises and it’s still my favorite Caribbean port

We’ve been packing the the last few days as we are moving a little bit west and north to Port Charlotte after returning from our Celebrity Equinox cruise which is from the 15th to the 24th

Off to the course in a few minutes

Have a great day and stay well

So you are moving closer too me!

• Like 12

Feb 7 here comes the squash again! 

Creamy roasted acorn squash soup (vegan and dairy free)

I saved this one to make for my Wednesday ladies group. Vegetarian, gluten free, not sure about my keto person but she adapts on Wednesdays. It looks like fun, too

https://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-fall-soup-in-acorn-squash-bowls/

image.png.f2f3801d01c509bafd24e99e124df10b.png

This one adds apples and just serves it in bowls 

https://oursaltykitchen.com/acorn-squash-soup/

image.thumb.png.79f49ab77b8068f581bbecad103eeda1.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18
  • Haha 1

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 27

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for our daily updates.  E-day, hmmm don’t think I’ll give that much thought.  Hats off to the ballet and school plays that lift our spirits.  The quote is a good pause for thought.  I love acorn squash but probably not as a soup.  Not sure about the drink.  I’ve been to today’s port and enjoy it very much.  I’ll try attaching some photos of a house we rented in 2016.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

IMG_1823.thumb.jpeg.76aacefcca10f63a05c14903938f9967.jpegIMG_1816.thumb.jpeg.dce8cbd9522043163860fd51d75cd97a.jpegIMG_1819.thumb.jpeg.a9b46239542a4208a8cd0adb6b24a266.jpegIMG_1817.thumb.jpeg.9a991c8f0a5a40932dc3794fd35995fd.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Seems many days are now e-days, especially w/working remotely being a "thing." Remember when we called it "telecommuting?" I don't go to the ballet and am not a ballerina 🩰 but admire people who are - they're so graceful. 🧚‍♀️ The quote resonates with me, unfortunately. Pass on the meal (squash) maybe the drink, yes to the wine, not been to the port (it's on the itinerary of the cruise we canceled for next month).

There are some impactful days in history.

More PT, so ready to just have parts work like they should w/no special attention from me (or anyone else).

I have come to dread Wednesdays - it's the 1:1 day w/my Mgr. He increased the sessions to an hour (we used to be done in under 30) and the whole time is spent w/me giving him a blow-by-blow account of what I've done and what's in the pipeline as well as showing him current sheets & guides I'm working on. It's brutal and leaves me drained, usually w/a pounding headache. I think it's because Corp is folding many of our departments into theirs and he's building a case to either save me or cut me. Ugh.

DH agreed to Teppanyaki for my birthday this weekend so we'll be trying a new place close to our house. Yay for Teppanyaki!!🎉

What's up w/the CC traffic cop? We're showing posts but no views.

20240207_062728.thumb.jpg.82f4ba13ed3b9ded97d3b8f868fc1d2a.jpg

Currently 50° headed to 70° w/rain still in the forecast. Ugh again.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240207_061613.thumb.jpg.e981f3dad35c1e964815babca4f8b271.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 27

4 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

... I’ve been to today’s port and enjoy it very much.  I’ll try attaching some photos of a house we rented in 2016.

IMG_1823.thumb.jpeg.76aacefcca10f63a05c14903938f9967.jpegIMG_1816.thumb.jpeg.dce8cbd9522043163860fd51d75cd97a.jpegIMG_1819.thumb.jpeg.a9b46239542a4208a8cd0adb6b24a266.jpegIMG_1817.thumb.jpeg.9a991c8f0a5a40932dc3794fd35995fd.jpeg

Nice house - looks like a great place to spend a vacation.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1