The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 12th, 2024

kazu

11 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny Quartzsite.  It was 49F when I got up at 7 am and it is now 54F.  We are headed to a high of 75F this afternoon with less wind than yesterday.  When I finish here, DH is taking me out for a drive-thru breakfast.

Equal pay sounds like a no brainer, but we still have a ways to go before women receive equal pay for the same work.  I was a Girl Scout as were the DDs.  All I'll say is my side of the home office here and in Texas is pretty organized, and DH has worked on his side so it's better.  😁

An interesting quote from Vladimir Nabokov, but like Roy @rafinmd I want to wait a long time to find out if the second part is true.

The meal sounds interesting, but we'll pass on that and the drink.  The wine sounds like a good one.

We have been to Edinburgh several times, but since we were on Prinsendam, we always docked in Rosyth.  I guess we were near Newhaven when we toured the Britannia.

I'll celebrate the three days in history.

@kazu  Jacqui, I loved the Request From the Rainbow Bridge even though it brought tears to my eyes.

@MISTER 67  Wow on your DS and DDIL's flight delays.  I'm glad the finally made it home safely.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I hope all goes well with the meeting, and that those who think it's a raise and/or a promotion are correct.  I hope the new exercise helps the should and that the pain goes away soon.

@aliaschief  Thanks for the great pictures of all the different tribes, Bruce.

@smitty34877  Terry, I love the picture of Miss Camilla cooking with her dad.  She is still our little cutie, but not so little anymore.  Her dad is brave to put on the matching apron, much less share a picture of him wearing it.

@marshhawk  Annie, your post last night was not inappropriate, and there are times we just have to get things out.  I'm sorry Chuck's surgery did not fix the problem, and that now he is in pain on top of the the fuzziness.  I'm also concerned about his weight loss.  

@ottahand7  Nancy, the southwest birthday card was beautiful.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm so very sorry that Pauline's sister chose not to reconcile with the family.  It's her loss, but I know it affected both of you deeply.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope your DS will be moved to Encompass soon.  Yesterday, DH expressed the same hope to me, and he has first hand knowledge of the good work and great care the provide.

358055817_1696217397486215_4651723068236312316_n.jpg.688e822df7d2104b4cc347a815cd6cbb.jpg

359781469_770124498450003_5552340329824323236_n.jpg.ab7569f73fecb0d59bf2f7fa47854778.jpg

365497086_785509333369112_7351760070546879774_n.thumb.jpg.da3d1337703418fcf9d1d1a34dbaa45b.jpg

367728930_1719917718449516_2731195992741866156_n.jpg.4884d47a1ba516c5ef07d68d1692f564.jpg

368048809_864139861742351_8022927512069548029_n.jpg.15491fe3e07d60f074538e819d947a9a.jpg

368215761_1322641021903603_3860024404258121234_n.jpg.ba4ca5c7ff8bcf90f2269e6caa99567e.jpg

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

He died of Liver cancer and we were told he knew for 6 weeks but he did not contact Sarah or us to make peace which upset her.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 15

Good morning! 

Happy Birthday to all those celebrating: @Quartzsite Cruiserl @Overhead Fred's wife Mitzi and  @VMax1700's wife Ellen. Last year when my DD DH was still with us my birthday/our anniversary was spent with him hospitalized. I walked in and he wished me a happy anniversary and happy birthday. When I asked him how many years he knew it was 46 years married but got this befuddled look on his face as to my age and then told me "umpteen". It's one of my favorite memories of him! 

@grapau27 I'm so sorry for the response you got to your card. I hope Sarah is getting all the support she needs. 

It's overcast and supposed to rain most of the day today but by the weekend we're in the mid-60's for a couple of days. Yesterday was water aerobics, errands, and getting a package ready to go to my great-niece in BC who turns 4 on Saturday. I use a service called NetParcel and they pick up at the door and it should be at my niece's house by Thursday or Friday at the latest. It's about 1/2 the price of the post office and much much much quicker. 

Have a good day! I think I'll tackle cleaning my craft room/home office/ junk spot. 

Karen

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

GRRRRR!

It is Patrick or Paddy, never ever Patty (which is female!).

(for future reference....😉)

@Quartzsite Cruiser happy birthday

@Overhead Fred happy birthday to Mitzi.

Today is my DW's (Ellen's) birthday.......she is ** years old today.  (see, I knew it was a bad number when C.C. blanked it out just like a swear word 😂)

Happy birthday to Ellen 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Happy birthdays today to the birthday girls - Lenda, Mitzi and Ellen!  And good morning, Dailyites.  I'm sorry, Graham, that your and Pauline's attempts at reconciliation have failed.  At least you tried, you can be comforted by that.  I would love to have one of those bacon baps!  

Here, it looks wet outside.  I have a flowerbed full of weeds to tend to and a large fuchsia to prune, but I don't know if I will get it done.   Pat likes to have an "outing" every day and that takes up time.  This afternoon I am to make biscuits (scones to you, Graham) - DD sent me the recipe she wants used, and she is planning a chicken dish for tonight.   And here am I, sitting around chatting on CC!  Pennie, I'm sorry about your Martina, I'm sure she had a good life with you.  

Yesterday I volunteered our stateroom for the cabin crawl on our cruise in April.  It seems in the past every time I've done that it has been in the Fall, and I've put a big bowl of Halloween  candies on a bed and they've all disappeared.  I don't know what I will do this time - maybe Easter eggs?  It will be a matter of space available as we have new suitcases and I'm not sure how the packing will go.

Miss Camilla is really growing up, isn't she?  How sweet father and daughter look, cooking together.  

I'd better get on with my duties,  hope everyone has a good day.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sarah's family calls up the question of how many times do you forgive

I don't know the answer to this question.  But, we all know life is short.  If someone does not bring you happiness or in some way make your life better, I say, cut them out of your life.  Forgiving someone is great but there's no sense banging your head against the wall if you can't reconcile your differences.  Give up on the relationship and move on. 

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but this is my opinion.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

GRRRRR!

Today is my DW's (Ellen's) birthday.......she is ** years old today.  (see, I knew it was a bad number when C.C. blanked it out just like a swear word 😂)

Happy Birthday to Ellen!

3 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I don't know the answer to this question.  But, we all know life is short.  If someone does not bring you happiness or in some way make your life better, I say, cut them out of your life.  Forgiving someone is great but there's no sense banging your head against the wall if you can't reconcile your differences.  Give up on the relationship and move on. 

You can forgive, but that does not mean you welcome them with open arms. Forgive and move on.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily-ites. 

I have a lot to catch up on!

Prayers going out to all on our prayer requests. 

Graham I feel so bad for you, Sarah, and Pauline. You wrote the card with kind intentions, as a good Christian would. Sarah's mother had a chance to be thankful for the sympathy but chose not to. Forgive her and move on with your happy life.

Wishing happiest of birthdays to celebrate today, and Lenda, happy belated birthday. 

I'm sorry for the kitty passing away and the kind gesture of the sitter with burial and "head stone"

Nothing exciting happening here today. Laundry, breaking down boxes, making dinner.. 

Wishing everyone a blessed Tuesday!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

I believe forgiveness is  as much to the benefit of the one who forgives as for the one forgiven.  Carrying resentment around is toxic.  As others have said, forgive and move on.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, superoma said:

My hellebores survived the last bout of cold, hopefully they will survive the next one too.

IMG_0269.jpeg

That’s wonderful it made it through the cold.  👍  I love hellebores but everyone I have nursed won’t make it though the cold that always comes back and then, never returns.  So happy to hear yours is doing ok, Eva 👍 

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Please wish Ellen a very happy ** birthday for me, Colin.

IMG_9955.gif.b95f15cc2b52e36c919615295a48d453.gif

30 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I agree with you.  It’s taken me a while,and although there was no difference to reconcile for whatever reason, that person is not returning calls, etc.  I have decided to stop banging my head against the wall and move on 😔 

25 minutes ago, dfish said:

You can forgive, but that does not mean you welcome them with open arms. Forgive and move on.

I so agree with this, Debbie

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dfish said:

Happy Birthday to Ellen!

They have told many lies to neighbours but I have the video evidence from our house outside CCTV cameras.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Maureen.

We posted a nice condolences card  in Sarah's mam's door who lives next door to us and she pushed it back through our letterbox with 🤢 unfriendly words written on it.

How very sad!  Grief can bring anger but such bitterness comes from a tortured soul. It is her choice and her path, and a burden for you, Pauline and Sarah as you try to walk (live!) beside her with more kindness and strength than most people would imagine. I’m very grateful I saw my brother, sad for the circumstances that brought us together again after 22 years of trying. I will probably never understand. 

Even when there is no sun in the North Sea region, there is a great well of sun in your heart!  That was a mighty big step to extend your condolences!  💝 It blesses all of us!  m—

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

Although I don't have a lot of info about New Haven, we did have it as a port for Edinburgh last summer on the Island Princess. We went to St Andrews and DH decided I needed to see the course that he had the opportunity to play several times.

It is a tender port and is fairly close to Leith where the Royal Yacht is available for touring. Here are a few pictures of the port area. 

Newhavenlanding(4).thumb.jpg.1f6e2e59651cdc2ae689a44eca3f473e.jpg

A lighthouse near the tender dockNewhavenlanding(7).thumb.JPG.f6e6f8d79fc0c89d1242dc80cd9fca32.JPG

The view of the town from the lighthouse walkwayNewhavenlanding(3).thumb.JPG.714d5bf3eac86003d635334032c3bc44.JPG

A few shops near the tender dock.

Sorry, that is all we saw of New Haven, but most everyone went off to Edinburgh or elsewhere, I believe. We did get to drive over the Firth of Forth bridge near Queensferry where most ships dock on our way to St Andrews.

Thank you so much for the photos of Newhaven!  I shouldn't be surprised that someone here on Cruise Critic has been there.  We appreciate you posting today.  It looks like a nice place to tender to.  And it's lots closer to Edinburgh than either Rosyth or South Queensferry in looking at the map.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

GRRRRR!

Thank you for the important reminder (or education) on proper terms for the St. Patrick's Day holiday.  It was the biggest event of the year at my DH's college.  A lot of beer was drunk that day!

Happy birthday wishes to your DW Ellen!  Hope she enjoys many more.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

How very sad!  Grief can bring anger but such bitterness comes from a tortured soul. It is her choice and her path, and a burden for you, Pauline and Sarah as you try to walk (live!) beside her with more kindness and strength than most people would imagine. I’m very grateful I saw my brother, sad for the circumstances that brought us together again after 22 years of trying. I will probably never understand. 

Even when there is no sun in the North Sea region, there is a great well of sun in your heart!  That was a mighty big step to extend your condolences!  💝 It blesses all of us!  m—

Thank you Maureen.

We have lived next door to them for 42 years and we have had to do everything they wanted to keep the peace.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Maureen.

We have lived next door to them for 42 years and we have had to do everything they wanted to keep the peace.

You are both saints putting up with that for so many years.  I would go nuts.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

You are both saints putting up with that for so many years.  I would go nuts.

Thank you Sandi.

It took its toll on me 4 years ago when I had my heart attack.

They said it was Karma? and if we didn't move I would have another heart attack.

Fortunately the Beta blocker medication after my heart attack helped me enormously as has posting on the Daily here.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

He died of Liver cancer and we were told he knew for 6 weeks but he did not contact Sarah or us to make peace which upset her.

Graham, so sorry to hear that.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

Graham, they must have been very and are unhappy and sad people.  Like others have said, it's time to forgive them and then move on.  I know in your case it will be a challenge since you live next door.  And it will be even more difficult for Sarah to come to terms with not only her father's death, but that he did not want to say goodbye to her.  She is lucky to have her "real" parents and her friends there to support and love her.  I hope she will be able to forgive them someday and to move on with her life.  Sarah also has the entire Daily family supporting her.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning! 

Happy Birthday to all those celebrating: @Quartzsite Cruiserl @Overhead Fred's wife Mitzi and  @VMax1700's wife Ellen. Last year when my DD DH was still with us my birthday/our anniversary was spent with him hospitalized. I walked in and he wished me a happy anniversary and happy birthday. When I asked him how many years he knew it was 46 years married but got this befuddled look on his face as to my age and then told me "umpteen". It's one of my favorite memories of him! 

@grapau27 I'm so sorry for the response you got to your card. I hope Sarah is getting all the support she needs. 

It's overcast and supposed to rain most of the day today but by the weekend we're in the mid-60's for a couple of days. Yesterday was water aerobics, errands, and getting a package ready to go to my great-niece in BC who turns 4 on Saturday. I use a service called NetParcel and they pick up at the door and it should be at my niece's house by Thursday or Friday at the latest. It's about 1/2 the price of the post office and much much much quicker. 

Have a good day! I think I'll tackle cleaning my craft room/home office/ junk spot. 

Karen

Karen, thank you for the birthday wishes.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Happy Birthday to Ellen!

Very true words, Debbie.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. 

I have a lot to catch up on!

Prayers going out to all on our prayer requests. 

Graham I feel so bad for you, Sarah, and Pauline. You wrote the card with kind intentions, as a good Christian would. Sarah's mother had a chance to be thankful for the sympathy but chose not to. Forgive her and move on with your happy life.

Wishing happiest of birthdays to celebrate today, and Lenda, happy belated birthday. 

I'm sorry for the kitty passing away and the kind gesture of the sitter with burial and "head stone"

Nothing exciting happening here today. Laundry, breaking down boxes, making dinner.. 

Wishing everyone a blessed Tuesday!

Joy, thank you for the birthday wishes, and they were not belated.  Today is my birthday, with all the other March 12 birthdays on The Daily, I'm on good company.

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

It took its toll on me 4 years ago when I had my heart attack.

They said it was Karma? and if we didn't move I would have another heart attack.

Fortunately the Beta blocker medication after my heart attack helped me enormously as has posting on the Daily here.

Graham, the more I hear about them, the more I'm glad they are not my neighbors.  You have more tolerance than I do.  I'm very happy that all of us on The Daily have contributed to your well being.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thank you for the birthday wishes.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I believe forgiveness is  as much to the benefit of the one who forgives as for the one forgiven.  Carrying resentment around is toxic.  As others have said, forgive and move on.

Roy

One year, before Yom Kippur, I asked a rabbi whether I was required to forgive people who didn't want to be forgiven. She said it wasn't, but might be good for my mental health.

"Move on" is an essential component, though. Sometimes it's best not to bear a grudge, but also not to get involved with them again.

• Like 22

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you so much for the photos of Newhaven!  I shouldn't be surprised that someone here on Cruise Critic has been there.  We appreciate you posting today.  It looks like a nice place to tender to.  And it's lots closer to Edinburgh than either Rosyth or South Queensferry in looking at the map.

We were happy to be there instead of way out there. We'd been to Edinburgh so many times in the past, it was nice not to have to worry about transportation into town. Had we not gone to St Andrews, we'd have just gone to Leith and had lunch at a place we've enjoyed a couple of times. I don't think I've ever seen New Haven on a HAL itinerary. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I was able to find and buy Girl Scout cookies this week in Hawaii. Always a good thing to find when traveling. 🍪 
Packing today as we finish a rainy week in Hawaii. We stay with oldest daughter and family at the start of our visits and stay a few days in a hotel for the hotel amenities (endless coffee, pool, restaurant, live music most evenings, steps to the ocean…) This morning we waved at the NCL Pride of America and a rainbow (!) coming in to view.  A great way to start the morning.  
IMG_1060.thumb.jpeg.99cb805033680765c264ab8dd2ed39ad.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Graham, they must have been very and are unhappy and sad people.  Like others have said, it's time to forgive them and then move on.  I know in your case it will be a challenge since you live next door.  And it will be even more difficult for Sarah to come to terms with not only her father's death, but that he did not want to say goodbye to her.  She is lucky to have her "real" parents and her friends there to support and love her.  I hope she will be able to forgive them someday and to move on with her life.  Sarah also has the entire Daily family supporting her.

Karen, thank you for the birthday wishes.

Very true words, Debbie.

Joy, thank you for the birthday wishes, and they were not belated.  Today is my birthday, with all the other March 12 birthdays on The Daily, I'm on good company.

Graham, the more I hear about them, the more I'm glad they are not my neighbors.  You have more tolerance than I do.  I'm very happy that all of us on The Daily have contributed to your well being.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thank you for the birthday wishes.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

All of the lovely people on here have helped me so much.

• Like 18

An update on my Fiona. Waiting for the vet to call me back. She ate a little yesterday after coming home from her vet visit and seemed like she wanted to interact with us. Today, I have spent the entire morning trying to get her to eat. Tried everything including baby food. She just turns away. She has been sleeping in her bed all morning. Hoping the vet can let me know what the next steps should be. Please keep her in your thoughts. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 17