The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 27th,

kazu

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you all for the daily news. We managed to get our Covid boosters yesterday, and I am headachy, sore, and in a foul mood today - I really agree with the quote of the day!  Pat's appointment did not go so well yesterday, he has a follow-up next Thursday, the day before we fly out.   He also has the ENT that day, too, plus the cleaning lady will be here, so it will be a hectic day.  He brought up the suitcases yesterday, so I will be getting started on that.  

Yesterday was a gorgeous sunny day, DD said it made her happy to see the sunshine, but today is overcast and I see some raindrops now.  My radishes have sprouted, but after a day or two, something or someone seems to be eating them, there are a lot of little birds around and I wonder if they are finding the sprouts tasty.  I will have to plant some more, and cover them.  My neighbour's beautiful camellia has bloomed.

IMG_4650.thumb.jpeg.21afd6dde1afcb9497c25a5d96e8b3e9.jpeg 

Outlook-pkbnb0zw.jpg.c6ccc5bedef676be46cd94567c9609a3.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 11

Posted (edited)

Yippee! Filed taxes early Feb. Got state refund in about 4 weeks, federal refund yesterday (about 7 weeks). Last year we got both in less than 2 weeks. 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 22

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Just checked.

My photos were definitely Weymouth but the port was PORTLAND in Dorset.

My mistake SORRY.

🥴

Screenshot_20240327_144439.jpg

No need to apologize Graham!  We love Weymouth too.  In fact we love most all the English ports, if not all of them. 

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute the Red Cross for what they do in disaster areas. I don' scribble and I'm not a big fan of whiskey. Funny quote. I don't like regular Hollandaise, but maybe this is different. The drink looks good and pass on the wine. I have not been to Falmouth. 2 good days in history.

Rain has finally stopped after all day rain yesterday. I don't know if hydroplaning was a cause, but there was a terrible accident between an 18-wheeler and 2 cars. People in the one car were ok, but 5 people in the other car were killed, including an infant. I'm very sleep again today, after about 3.5 hours of sleep. The contractor called this AM and the cleaning crew won't be here until next week. I'm still working on the dining room. I have 2 built in cabinets that flank the fireplace, and the glassware in them is dusty and needs to be cleaned (and maybe some gotten rid of). I've taken some ibuprofen for my poor overused left leg, so hopefully it will feel better.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the nice Falmouth photos.

@Mr. Boston Nice of you to help out your replacement.

@RedneckBob Enjoy snorkeling in Grand Turk!

@grapau27 Nice photos from Weymouth. No worries on it being Portland as the port.

@aliaschief Bruce, that was quite the spread!

@Crazy For Cats Safe trip home. I've mainly traveled with BFF and we've never been separated.

@Niagarawine Sorry to hear you need knee surgery. I was told I do too, but with upcoming back surgery, the knee is on the back burner.

@RMLincoln It sounds like you have great memories from that heritage immersion. I'm sorry to hear that DSIL has had a decline. Hopefully she rallies with holding the radiation a while. 

@ger_77 Congrats on booking that TA.

@Nickelpenny Obviously you must be a talented teacher. even though not trained as one. Great on the cruise savings.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

What horrific news about that fatal accident!  I really, really hate road trips and any drive on a highway.  Too much dangerous driving out there.  I'm sorry to hear about your 3.5 hours of sleep last night.  I hope the ibuprofen helps with the pain in the left leg.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Wednesday from a sunny but cold Tucson. It rained off and on yesterday and we even got some hail in the evening. 

I’ll celebrate the days, wine and drink but I wouldn’t want the yogurt hollandaise. Give me full fat please. I’ve only made blender hollandaise and love it, especially when on a BHB on eggs Benedict. Today I’m making a new recipe I saw recently by Misty Copeland on Ina Garten’s show, Citrus Salmon with butternut squash mash. Craig isn’t fond of squash so it’ll be interesting to see if he likes this. I’m also going to make asparagus. 

I need to get ready for Blue’s pawdicure appointment so that’s all for now. Enjoy your day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Volendam is starting our second day in Pape'ete. It seems that an update was done to Navigator last night and the ship's internet is down for Guests. No idea of when it will return.

One couple had only purchased a day pass, and another complained that they had to work today.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

did they actually cut and serve the jackfruit/durian

Although they look similar, jackfruit is very different from durian. In a Thai cooking class I learned how to make a delicious coconut jackfruit sticky rice that I frequently serve as a dessert.  The ripe fruit has a banana/mango flavor. The green fruit makes an excellent substitute for meat.  I have made bbq with it and people did not know they weren’t eating pork.  It is easily found in a can.  
Durian is the “stinky” fruit; I have never tasted it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

Yogurt would add lactose, so the suggestion wouldn't be my first choice. No on the drink (pineapple juice). I think that all Sauvignon Blanc is light, so I might substitute Grüner Veltliner from Fulkerson's. The grape is the characteristic variety in the Danube valley; in a blind tasting some  years ago it ranked ahead of Chardonnay, although they are different enough that I don't know how a blind tasting would have been possible.

I haven't been to Falmouth in the UK, or in Jamaica. I haven't even been to the Falmouth in Massachusetts, although people I know ran the College Light Opera there for many years.

I fear that this could be some of us.

dennisdonttryathome.thumb.jpg.f9f6e1a73f56146c656b993452bcaf06.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Yippee! Filed taxes early Feb. Got state refund in about 4 weeks, federal refund yesterday (about 7 weeks). Last year we got both in less than 2 weeks. 

Federal refunds are a lot slower this year. When I was doing tax prep, it typically took just 11 days.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Interesting to see how long tax returns are taking.  I filed my taxes about 3 weeks ago.  I received my federal tax refund a little over a week ago.  The next day I received my Ohio refund and on Monday I received my Michigan refund.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I've been meaning to ask how DaVinci and Mona Lisa are doing - are they becoming more sociable and accepting of you as their staff?

They are becoming more sociable, but strictly on their terms. Mona Lisa joins me upstairs at bedtime and lies next to me until it's time for her next patrol of the house; DaVinci gets into my lap whenever I sit down to watch television. The other day I was watching a report about cat hoarding and advised him not to watch, but he seems to have no interest in the actual programs. (Fergus liked shows with lions, and Sasha liked any with small, squeaky animals or birds.)

They agree that the service in this establishment is awful, just awful.

• Like 12
  • Haha 11

Well I had an interesting morning.  DH and I went on our usual morning golf cart ride.  We have a great development that we ride in.  While sitting at a stop sign a lady in a car cut the corner sharp and ran into the golf cart with such force it turned the cart 180 degrees and threw me out of the cart.  I hit the road very hard, bouncing my head off the road.  Ambulance ride to the emergency room. (There a total of 4 hours.)  Cat scan, xrays of hip, knee, and ankle were all negative. Lots of bruising.  Will feel it better tomorrow I'm sure.  No need for the care list, just giving an FYI.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 24

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Well I had an interesting morning.  DH and I went on our usual morning golf cart ride.  We have a great development that we ride in.  While sitting at a stop sign a lady in a car cut the corner sharp and ran into the golf cart with such force it turned the cart 180 degrees and threw me out of the cart.  I hit the road very hard, bouncing my head off the road.  Ambulance ride to the emergency room. (There a total of 4 hours.)  Cat scan, xrays of hip, knee, and ankle were all negative. Lots of bruising.  Will feel it better tomorrow I'm sure.  No need for the care list, just giving an FYI.

I'm so sorry to hear this; how horrible! It's good that the scan and x-rays were negative, but just hope that whatever pain meds you have can provide enough relief.

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Oh, my gosh, Dixie!  I'm glad everything was negative, but be on the watch anyways.  I think you and George should find more sedate activities for morning fun.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Holy Crap, Dixie! Glad no serious injury.  Hope that lady learned a lesson. 

• Like 17

19 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I am sorry that you got hurt and hope that it feels ok tomorrow. Was your husband hurt as well?

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I am sorry that you got hurt and hope that it feels ok tomorrow. Was your husband hurt as well?

DH has a scrape on his elbow from hitting the wheel. And we found out her license was expired. Elderly lady. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 14

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident.

I hope your bruising is minimum and you feel a lot better in the morning.

Best wishes.

Graham x

giphy.gif

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

Well I did something interesting this morning.  After reading @ger_77's cruise news, I told DH about it, and when he heard the word Morocco, he perked up, when he heard the word, Bermuda, he said, YES!  So, I am doing a cruise next November or in 584 days......and I get to meet Gerry and Maurice!  Yippee!  I really was afraid the DH didnt want to cruise anymore.  It turns out that he likes the days spent in one place before the cruise (like Rome, and now Barcelona) and the cruise is my thing. But I too love to see new things.  

• Like 21

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you weren't seriously hurt!  Please do be careful though, because you might find aches and bruises in the next number of days.  I do hope the lady's insurance will take care of any costs involved in you getting to the hospital, tests, etc., as it was her fault.  And an expired license . . . . I hope her family is made aware of this and they remove the car before she kills someone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Oh my, what a morning! I'm glad your tests were ok, and I do suspect you'll feel it more tomorrow. I think you deserve one day on the Care List at a minimum.

• Like 16

My goodness, Dixie, that is terrible!  You could have been badly hurt especially hitting your head on the pavement.  Thank goodness tests were negative.  You should have quite a variety of colorful bruises tomorrow.  Hope it doesn't hurt too much!  My friend Susan and DH Scott got hit by a car while on their golf cart in the Villages.  Apparently that's pretty common down there.  I think a spot on the care list is deserved for you!

12 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Well I did something interesting this morning.  After reading @ger_77's cruise news, I told DH about it, and when he heard the word Morocco, he perked up, when he heard the word, Bermuda, he said, YES!  So, I am doing a cruise next November or in 584 days......and I get to meet Gerry and Maurice!  Yippee!  I really was afraid the DH didnt want to cruise anymore.  It turns out that he likes the days spent in one place before the cruise (like Rome, and now Barcelona) and the cruise is my thing. But I too love to see new things.  

Wow, that's exciting news Annie!  I'm happy for you.  It will be fun to get together with Gerry and Maurice.  Congratulations!

DD spent 3 hours at the Florida Aquarium today watching Morgan do her job.  It's an interesting place to work and she has many varied jobs.  She enjoyed it a lot. I saw a video of Morgan's co-worker in one of the tanks cleaning algae with all the turtles crawling all over her.  I think they like people!   DD Facetimed us and showed us all the new furnishings at Morgan's apartment and it's really all set up and cozy for her.  DD will cook dinner tonight for Morgan since she worked all day.  They went to a fab Mexican restaurant this week and we plan on going back when we all go down for graduation.  The taco salad she tried was especially good, she said.  DD drives back up here tomorrow to spend the night and we will prepare one of the favorite dishes from back in the day when we had kids to feed every night.  Can't wait!

• Like 18