The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 14th, 2024

Good morning and thanks all!  So excited to see blue skies!  

@summer slope Happy 58th anniversary!  We too are in the it won’t last club, 51 years now,  an elite group for sure, lol!  

hoping all goes well today for @Nickelpenny and @catmando

@RMLincoln praying things go in the right direction! You’ve got this! 

@kazu hope things are improving!  

well the owlets attempted to fly and both are out of the nest!  What a scary time for them!  One was taken by parks, don’t know if it was injured,  the nest was probably twenty feet up,  the other was on the ground but with both bleary eyed parents watching closely.  

DSC_2061.jpeg

DSC_2063.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good morning to all. everything looks so good and /or beautiful.  Happy anniversary @summer slope  This will be a short update. 

there were some complications during the surgery so I am here flat on my back until tomorrow Wednesday. Then we will trial raising the head of the bed 10 degrees every hour. If that goes ok the I get to walk. Tentative discharge is Thursday. 🤷🏻‍♀️

food?  Lol. A liquid diet. Through a straw. 

thoughts for others going through trials and tribulations and cheers for those celebrating. Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 22

Posted (edited)

Good drizzly afternoon. More rain expected for tomorrow. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey today.

I had an email from Cracker Barrel advising that today is National Buttermilk Biscuits Day. They are so good.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 19

Sunny and cool here. I am having trouble getting myself started this morning. No good reason.... just no motivation. Dogs have been walked twice now and they are back in bed and not setting a good example for me.

Saw the Grand Australia for 2026 listing. That is one great cruise... but hot. I have my eye on a couple of other cruises but glad I did Australia this year. I am not getting any younger. Evidently the Volendam will be doing the World Cruise that year.

@NickelpennySorry to hear of complications. Hope the gradual raising of the bed allows you to walk free soon. Somehow these days nothing is ever easy and back surgery is not easy to start. I would not care for a liquid diet unless it was milkshakes.

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning to all. everything looks so good and /or beautiful.  Happy anniversary @summer slope  This will be a short update. 

there were some complications during the surgery so I am here flat on my back until tomorrow Wednesday. Then we will trial raising the head of the bed 10 degrees every hour. If that goes ok the I get to walk. Tentative discharge is Thursday. 🤷🏻‍♀️

thoughts for others going through trials and tribulations and cheers for those celebrating. Have a great day everyone. 

I'm sorry things didn't go as planned yesterday  😞  thinking positive thoughts that you'll tolerate gradual raising of the head of your bed without problems.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Sorry to hear there were complications during the surgery.

Sending prayers 🙏 you will recover quickly.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  It's a dreary, cool day here.  DGD had her 1st softball game last night...got rained out after 2 innings.  the team is 6 - 8 year olds, I think they were having fun.  The treat at the end is the best though!! 

I'm going to pass on the meal today.  The drink sounds interesting. Haven't done the chicken dance in a while...maybe with DGD at her 3K Grandparents day celebration! Stars and Stripes is a great march!  I'm guessing we played that during my  band days.   The pictures of the port today look like fun.  

@Nickelpennysorry to hear that you have to be flat for a while, hoping the pain isn't too bad. 

@summer slopeHappy Anniversary!

@marshhawkHoping your DH is doing well with his surgery.  

@JazzyVHoping your BFF is doing ok waiting for surgery. 

I'm getting ready to go to Hand Bell choir practice with our kids choir, they didn't have enough kiddos to play the songs they wanted, 3 people from the adult choir are helping them out.  

Baked another sourdough bread today.  They aren't turning out right, but if you make toast with the slices, they are ok.  The taste is good, but the look is not right!  Not sure what I'm doing wrong!  😆

Have a good afternoon, Karen

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Dailyite @kochleffel, has started posting what I find to be interesting alternatives to the Daily Wine of the Day from his home state (I presume) of New York.  So, I am going to post an alternative wine from my state.  Many people are unaware that some pretty good wine is made in California. 

I personally enjoy Sauvignon Blanc quite a bit. One interesting thing about wines made from this grape is that it can be made in so many styles.  The report made by @cat shepard on today's New Zealand example sounds like no other SB that I have ever tasted.  The dominant flavor that I usually get from NZ SBs is grapefruit.  SB is a very important grape from the Loire Valley in France.  The two Loire regions that are known for their SB wines are Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume.  Interestingly, they are right across the Loire River from each other, but their wines are each distinct/

A small online wine group in which I participate has regular tasting events on Tuesdays.  Next Tuesday's theme is Sauvignon Blanc -- from any region.  I am going open up this one:

IMG_3002.jpg.9429714bd542789036ceb8a54486d9fe.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg.dd0775935bc219ab50db73dbb4a964cf.jpg

I learned about Arnot-Roberts from my participated in a couple online wine boards, I have enjoyed every one of their wines that I have tried.  Most of their wines are single-vineyard bottlings sourced from all over the state.  They select both old-vine and newly planted vineyards, but they do select only from well-tended--often, dry-farmed or sustainable--ones.  

I plagiarized this from the Arnot-Roberts website

Arnot-Roberts was founded in Healdsburg in 2001 by childhood friends Duncan Arnot Meyers and Nathan Lee Roberts. Beginning with one barrel of wine made in their basement, the winery started small and grew slowly by sourcing grapes from some of the most remarkable vineyards in California. Duncan and Nathan grew up together in the Napa Valley and from an early age were immersed in the rhythm of agrarian life surrounded by the vineyards and winemaking of the early 1980’s. Both of their families, while not directly involved in winemaking, were deeply rooted in the community as chefs, coopers, teachers and attorneys in what, at the time, was a small up and coming wine region. After college, the duo followed their passion into the wine industry with Nathan joining his father as a cooper of oak wine barrels and Duncan pursuing winemaking in several renowned wineries in Napa and Sonoma counties.

As you can see from the back label, the grapes for this bottling were grown in the Randle Hill Vineyard located in the Yorkville Highlands region.  Yorkville Highlands is a cool climate relatively high-elevation region located southeast of the more well-known Anderson Valley.  While the Anderson Valley is high regarded for Pinot Noir, the Yorkville Highlands is building a reputation for Syrah.  Some pretty experienced tasters have mistaken Yorkville Highlands Syrah for Rhone Valley Cote-Rotie.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this Sauvignon Blanc.

Oh, and Mrs. XBGuy really likes the A-R front labels.  (To me they seem to have an Asian look.)  She often soaks them off for use with her crafting projects.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I'll salute the Stars and Stripes Forever, as it's a great march. The chicken dance is still popular at wedding receptions. Every day should be decency day. Good quote. Maybe for the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I've been to Germany quite a bit, but not Kiel (Hamburg). A good day in history.

It's cloudy and humid here. I had a dental cleaning today; I'd not been in a year, as my October appointment had to be cancelled due to my back epidural, and this was the first available! I will have to go back in June to replace a very old filling. Yesterday was tiring. I took BFF for his preop exam. Then it was determined he needs an Echo prior to surgery, per his Cardiologist. So calls were made to try to get that quickly. Then we stopped to pick up a prescription and then for takeout for a late lunch. I then did some tidying at his house and got his trash and recycling to the curb. I was careful not to do too much, taking the recycling bin out on the rollator seat. Tomorrow I'll take him for the Echo, luckily not too far a trip.

@summer slope Happy Anniversary Dixie and George! 🍾🥂

@marshhawk Prayers that DH's vascular surgery went well.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you had a good lunch, and sorry to hear dinner wasn't great. Thanks for the Kiel/Hamburg photos, and the onboard photos.

@Heartgrove I'm glad you enjoyed your MSC cruise. Thanks for the Kiel photos.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos! 

@RMLincoln Prayers that all your diligence with DH's eye care leads to good results.

@bennybear Great owl photos.

@Nickelpenny I'm sorry to hear there were some complications with your surgery. Prayers for your recovery and that you'll be walking soon.

@quilty964 Check out https://foodbodsourdough.com/ . She has lots of tips and a simple "master" recipe for sourdough bread that is easy to follow and turns out well. It does take some practice to get a loaf you like, but you get to eat your mistakes most of the time and they taste good even if they don't look as good as you'd like.

@XBGuy Thanks for the wine information.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7

I'll skip the chicken dancing, thank you. I had to check to make sure that National Decency Day was only about civility and didn't have anything to do with the now-defunct Legion of Decency.

No on the pasta (shrimp). Also no on the drink (general principles). For the wine, maybe Buttonwood Grove's Fumé Blanc 2021. The name typically denotes a rich, oaky style of SB and came from Robert Mondavi back when most of the SB in the U.S. was mediocre. When he had a better one, he named it after the French region of Pouilly-Fumé for marketing purposes.

switch that controls nothing.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

@Nickelpenny, Pennie, I am so sorry to hear of the complications and that you are lying supine. I hope there are nice people around to keep you company, if not, there are a whole lot of us here. Sending hugs, very gentle hugs.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  I'm back from being scanned and pressed.  Now, I just have to wait until the radiologist reads the bone density scan and the mammogram, and sends the results.  It turns out, the position for part of the bone density scan is much more uncomfortable than the mammogram, but I surprised both.

It was so nice and pleasant out today, that I was able to open the top of the Smart for the drive over and back.  We're planning on taking advantage of the nice weather and grilling a ribeye to share, along with baked potatoes, salad and of course, wine.

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

Pennie, I'm so sorry there were complications with the surgery and you are flat on your back for another day.  I hope you tolerate the head raising tomorrow, and will be allowed to go home on Thursday.

43 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Dailyite @kochleffel, has started posting what I find to be interesting alternatives to the Daily Wine of the Day from his home state (I presume) of New York.  So, I am going to post an alternative wine from my state.  Many people are unaware that some pretty good wine is made in California. 

I personally enjoy Sauvignon Blanc quite a bit. One interesting thing about wines made from this grape is that it can be made in so many styles.  The report made by @cat shepard on today's New Zealand example sounds like no other SB that I have ever tasted.  The dominant flavor that I usually get from NZ SBs is grapefruit.  SB is a very important grape from the Loire Valley in France.  The two Loire regions that are known for their SB wines are Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume.  Interestingly, they are right across the Loire River from each other, but their wines are each distinct/

A small online wine group in which I participate has regular tasting events on Tuesdays.  Next Tuesday's theme is Sauvignon Blanc -- from any region.  I am going open up this one:

IMG_3002.jpg.9429714bd542789036ceb8a54486d9fe.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg.dd0775935bc219ab50db73dbb4a964cf.jpg

I learned about Arnot-Roberts from my participated in a couple online wine boards, I have enjoyed every one of their wines that I have tried.  Most of their wines are single-vineyard bottlings sourced from all over the state.  They select both old-vine and newly planted vineyards, but they do select only from well-tended--often, dry-farmed or sustainable--ones.  

I plagiarized this from the Arnot-Roberts website

Arnot-Roberts was founded in Healdsburg in 2001 by childhood friends Duncan Arnot Meyers and Nathan Lee Roberts. Beginning with one barrel of wine made in their basement, the winery started small and grew slowly by sourcing grapes from some of the most remarkable vineyards in California. Duncan and Nathan grew up together in the Napa Valley and from an early age were immersed in the rhythm of agrarian life surrounded by the vineyards and winemaking of the early 1980’s. Both of their families, while not directly involved in winemaking, were deeply rooted in the community as chefs, coopers, teachers and attorneys in what, at the time, was a small up and coming wine region. After college, the duo followed their passion into the wine industry with Nathan joining his father as a cooper of oak wine barrels and Duncan pursuing winemaking in several renowned wineries in Napa and Sonoma counties.

As you can see from the back label, the grapes for this bottling were grown in the Randle Hill Vineyard located in the Yorkville Highlands region.  Yorkville Highlands is a cool climate relatively high-elevation region located southeast of the more well-known Anderson Valley.  While the Anderson Valley is high regarded for Pinot Noir, the Yorkville Highlands is building a reputation for Syrah.  Some pretty experienced tasters have mistaken Yorkville Highlands Syrah for Rhone Valley Cote-Rotie.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this Sauvignon Blanc.

Oh, and Mrs. XBGuy really likes the A-R front labels.  (To me they seem to have an Asian look.)  She often soaks them off for use with her crafting projects.

Thanks for the information on a winery I have not heard of before.  While I'm not a fan of most white wines, I'd like to try some of their reds.

18 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I'll salute the Stars and Stripes Forever, as it's a great march. The chicken dance is still popular at wedding receptions. Every day should be decency day. Good quote. Maybe for the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I've been to Germany quite a bit, but not Kiel (Hamburg). A good day in history.

It's cloudy and humid here. I had a dental cleaning today; I'd not been in a year, as my October appointment had to be cancelled due to my back epidural, and this was the first available! I will have to go back in June to replace a very old filling. Yesterday was tiring. I took BFF for his preop exam. Then it was determined he needs an Echo prior to surgery, per his Cardiologist. So calls were made to try to get that quickly. Then we stopped to pick up a prescription and then for takeout for a late lunch. I then did some tidying at his house and got his trash and recycling to the curb. I was careful not to do too much, taking the recycling bin out on the rollator seat. Tomorrow I'll take him for the Echo, luckily not too far a trip.

@summer slope Happy Anniversary Dixie and George! 🍾🥂

@marshhawk Prayers that DH's vascular surgery went well.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you had a good lunch, and sorry to hear dinner wasn't great. Thanks for the Kiel/Hamburg photos, and the onboard photos.

@Heartgrove I'm glad you enjoyed your MSC cruise. Thanks for the Kiel photos.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos! 

@RMLincoln Prayers that all your diligence with DH's eye care leads to good results.

@bennybear Great owl photos.

@Nickelpenny I'm sorry to hear there were some complications with your surgery. Prayers for your recovery and that you'll be walking soon.

@quilty964 Check out https://foodbodsourdough.com/ . She has lots of tips and a simple "master" recipe for sourdough bread that is easy to follow and turns out well. It does take some practice to get a loaf you like, but you get to eat your mistakes most of the time and they taste good even if they don't look as good as you're like.

@XBGuy Thanks for the wine information.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, just as you were very fortunate to have BFF take care of you, he is very lucky to have you as a caregiver.  I hope the echocardiogram goes well tomorrow.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

It must be the day for surgeries gone wonky.  I'm home, but Chuck is not.  Surgery unsuccessful with complications, and NO the dr did not call me or stick around to talk with me.  I was sitting in the lobby at the hospital because the first batch of nurses said I had to, He wouldnt be in long.  When two burly men nurses came to get him for the surgery, they said 4 hours.  I went and got some food, and sat in the car, and walked in the rain, went back to the lobby, called, before I left the car, they said he was not out yet.  Sat back down in the lobby and the phone rang.  It was one of the nurses to tell me that DH aka @catmando had to lie flat on his back for the next 4 hours, the surgery was unsuccessful.  They would call but it wouldn't be before 5 today, so I came home. She asked if I wanted to come down the hall, I asked if he was asleep, she said yes, and I said no, I have thing to do, let sleeping puppies like.  When awake all he does is curse and say OUCH a lot.   If he is asleep he is not in pain, or if he is, he doesn't know it.  And it is freezing back there.  So if there are changes, they will call.  Otherwise I am on stand by.

@Nickelpenny I too would vote for milkshakes, but maybe some clear broth.  Women cannot live off gingerale forever.  Please do as the doc says,  and maybe see if they can get a nurse for you when you get home.

Time to give momma cat her special food, I hope everyone is having a good day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 16

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

I'm sorry things didn't go as expected, Pennie, and hope they are keeping you as comfortable as possible.  Prayers are with you that the adjustments tomorrow go well and that you heal swiftly.  Please keep us updated.

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

It must be the day for surgeries gone wonky.  I'm home, but Chuck is not.  Surgery unsuccessful with complications, and NO the dr did not call me or stick around to talk with me.  I was sitting in the lobby at the hospital because the first batch of nurses said I had to, He wouldnt be in long.  When two burly men nurses came to get him for the surgery, they said 4 hours.  I went and got some food, and sat in the car, and walked in the rain, went back to the lobby, called, before I left the car, they said he was not out yet.  Sat back down in the lobby and the phone rang.  It was one of the nurses to tell me that DH aka @catmando had to lie flat on his back for the next 4 hours, the surgery was unsuccessful.  They would call but it wouldn't be before 5 today, so I came home. She asked if I wanted to come down the hall, I asked if he was asleep, she said yes, and I said no, I have thing to do, let sleeping puppies like.  When awake all he does is curse and say OUCH a lot.   If he is asleep he is not in pain, or if he is, he doesn't know it.  And it is freezing back there.  So if there are changes, they will call.  Otherwise I am on stand by.

@Nickelpenny I too would vote for milkshakes, but maybe some clear broth.  Women cannot live off gingerale forever.  Please do as the doc says,  and maybe see if they can get a nurse for you when you get home.

Dang...crummy news from your front, too, Annie.  Thinking of you and your long, stressful day, and will be praying that you hear better news soon.

@JazzyV, it's touching to read about how you and BFF look out for each other.  I'm so sorry you're both struggling right now.  

Maxine

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from my 2015 Crystal Serenity Transatlantic Miami to Lisbon.  On May 14 we visited Ponta Delada.

dawn0514.jpg

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Several months ago I suggested to the doc, that with Chuck's continuously blocked arteries, that he change his diet.  But he said it is too late for that. Every week we go to a doc, and they weigh him, he is 6'1" and now today weighs 158 pounds with his heavy shoes on. This happened when he weighed 220, and was on chemo and had no appetite.  Now he eats, but keeps losing weight. Way too rapidly, last week he was 165.  The week before 168. HIs clothes are falling off of him, and he doesnt want to get new ones.  Is it the drugs?  Is it his cancer?  I have no idea.  Tomorrow he is supposed to go to his immunotherapy, but as of right now, I dont know if he will be able to walk. The blood flow is now going outside the artery, not through, and they could not unblock the artery even using the laser.  I wish the doc had called me. This was their last resort.

• Thanks 20

Oh @marshhawk my heart goes out to you - what awful news.  I can't imagine what you're going through, worrying about Chuck and what will happen with his legs, various cancers, etc.  Please know you both will be in my prayers for the absolute best possible outcome.

@NickelpennyI'm sorry to hear your surgery ended up with complications; hopefully the 10 degree raise will go well and that it continues without further problems. 

Ladies, we're all here, cheering you on as you deal with your terrible, rotten, no good days.  Hugs to both of you.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, 

@summer slope Happy Anniversary to you and DH. I hope you have a lovely day. 

@Nickelpenny and @marshhawk So sorry to hear that procedures didn't go as planned. I hope things get better a lot sooner than later!

I had PT for my stuck hip flexor muscle today. I had taken a 6-week break and I had good news. I didn't lose ground and gained some so the therapist was very happy. I'm doing my exercises at home and doing water aerobics 3 times a week. She watched me walk today and was quite impressed noting several good changes since April 2nd. I bought some hiking poles so will take them in next week and they'll be sure they are the right height, etc.

I take the PT folks cookies when I go (also take them to the parking people at the Seattle Armory lot when I cruise) and the request for next week is peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip so that will be what I make this coming weekend. 

Have a good day and @kazu wherever you are stop by and say hi! We're all on your side you know. 

Karen 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for the information on a winery I have not heard of before.  While I'm not a fan of most white wines, I'd like to try some of their reds.

Arnot-Roberts red wines are outstanding,  I have been pleased with every A-R red wine that I have tried:  Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Gamay Noir, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Trousseau,  Last year they released the first of a blend of red Bordeaux grape varieties cleverly named California Red.  I am being patient.  It will be a few more years before I open mine up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Annie, that is heart breaking that the surgery was not successful -- again.  I wish there was more any of us could do but send you HUGS!

28 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Several months ago I suggested to the doc, that with Chuck's continuously blocked arteries, that he change his diet.  But he said it is too late for that. Every week we go to a doc, and they weigh him, he is 6'1" and now today weighs 158 pounds with his heavy shoes on. This happened when he weighed 220, and was on chemo and had no appetite.  Now he eats, but keeps losing weight. Way too rapidly, last week he was 165.  The week before 168. HIs clothes are falling off of him, and he doesnt want to get new ones.  Is it the drugs?  Is it his cancer?  I have no idea.  Tomorrow he is supposed to go to his immunotherapy, but as of right now, I dont know if he will be able to walk. The blood flow is now going outside the artery, not through, and they could not unblock the artery even using the laser.  I wish the doc had called me. This was their last resort.

Anni, I think it is unconscionable that the doctor did not talk to you.  I hope something can be done about the leg, and that something can be done to help with the weight loss. 

3 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon, 

@summer slope Happy Anniversary to you and DH. I hope you have a lovely day. 

@Nickelpenny and @marshhawk So sorry to hear that procedures didn't go as planned. I hope things get better a lot sooner than later!

I had PT for my stuck hip flexor muscle today. I had taken a 6-week break and I had good news. I didn't lose ground and gained some so the therapist was very happy. I'm doing my exercises at home and doing water aerobics 3 times a week. She watched me walk today and was quite impressed noting several good changes since April 2nd. I bought some hiking poles so will take them in next week and they'll be sure they are the right height, etc.

I take the PT folks cookies when I go (also take them to the parking people at the Seattle Armory lot when I cruise) and the request for next week is peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip so that will be what I make this coming weekend. 

Have a good day and @kazu wherever you are stop by and say hi! We're all on your side you know. 

Karen 

Karen, that is good news from your PT therapist.  I'm glad someone had good news today.

Lenda

• Like 10