The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 20th, 2024

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Ann, Debbie & Dixie.

Good collection of days.  I kind of like the Bob Marley quote.  There’s some truth to it.  Yum on lamb chops.  @cat shepard DD DH would enjoy that Malbec.  @StLouisCruisers glad to see HAL is doing something to “make it right” with you missing those ports.

IMG_2508.jpeg.9c9761bedfbaaae555de14b4623e2c09.jpeg

Quick post as the guys are here to work on the gardens.  I got a small dent in which will help (ouch) and things are paining from walking up and down the hills to go over things with them but it is what it is.  Another appointment today - financial - ugh.  I have a new planner and makes things trickier since I had the same one for 20 years and he knew me well.

IMG_2507.thumb.jpeg.e8dcddcbaabadcd47165657f1a2737d3.jpeg

Heat wave continues - no air conditioning but my house stays quite cool most hot days, thankfully.  Hope everyone affected can stay cold and hydrated - a must!.

IMG_2509.jpeg.b8683cfc9f33550426874d3e5ee7c50a.jpeg

Pryaers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 28
  • Haha 8

Good Thursday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Happy first day of summer (at 4:51pm), it has certainly felt like summer all week here!

I’ll certainly take the flitch of bacon.  I have my research for today with Nystagmus Day.  I think surfing is such a cool sport, friends of ours moved to Biarritz and the surfers abound there.

I really like today’s quote, it’s a call to look inside and see if there is any room for improvement.

I think I’ll pass on the meal but since each drink recipe sounds tasty I’d try them both.

I have not been to today’s port but am really enjoying your photos.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 31

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  Once again sleep came, and I was awake within an hour, repeat, repeat, repeat, so I slept until 8.  I wish i could fall asleep and stay asleep for at least 6 hours.  Pain and leg cramps finally threw me out of bed.  

@1ANGELCAT I am so glad that TT came home safe and sound.  I was hoping for last night, so that you would not have to worry,  but this morning is good, and I hope TT was reprimanded harshly with love and hugs and lots of smooches this morning.

@LambKnucklesCannibal!  I had to laugh, my  stage name in the 80's was Catfish Brown, I wouldn't eat catfish telling people it was cannibalistic of me to eat my own kind.  There is a local band in town named Catfish Brown now.  Not me.

My problem with the "flitch" was umm... what was it?  I understand the giving of a flitch of bacon, that @grapau27 mentioned, but what was the quantity of the "fltich"-this is what I found 

a piece of meat consisting of the side of a pig, made into bacon = preserved meat

And of course now because I copied that, my print font has changed.  Oh well.

In England there are a lot of old customs going back before the middle ages.This one from the

Screenshot_20240620_145226.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 14

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  My nephew is(or at least was) an avid surfer.  A fitch is a LOT of bacon, perhaps almost enough to last a couple many years.  Nystagmus sounds like something to definitely be avoided and prayers for a better treatments.

I like Marley quote..

II thought I had been to Oslo but can’t find any record of it.

A great day in music  history,.

I like today’s meal and will pass on an alternative.

It will be hot today and getting hotter for the rest of the week. I have finished my mall walk and will be outside just briefly the rest of the day.  Home-car-UPS store-car-fire house-car-grocery-car-home.  Sandi, that compensation sounds extremely generous. 

Special hugs to Elizabeth.  Such a pointless loss.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Kidney scan this morning to determine if all my "visitors" have vacated or if I'm still waiting on another round of fun. Urology appt is a week away, so I'm hoping to get the report when it's ready & not spend the week wondering. 

PT this afternoon - they're working on both shoulders, knee and neck plus dry needling so it's a full hour. Their a/c works very well, so it actually feels cool in there. See, always a positive if we just peel back enough layers 🫣

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words & hugs about my brother yesterday and today.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

• Like 33

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I believe I qualify for a Flitch of Bacon, recall reading about Nystagmus on police reports presented for DUI cases, and have never tried surfing - I have balance issues at the best of times, so it wouldn't likely be my best choice.

It's a clear blue sky that I'm seeing out there this morning and there's barely a ripple in the leaves on the trees.  It would be nice if it keeps up like this all day for a change.  This morning DH is heading out of town with his son and 2 of his friends who want to take the Riverlands Heritage Tour, so he's up packing a bag of things to take along with them.  It should be a good day for sightseeing and wandering through the countryside.

@smitty34877I'm so glad your DB is coming to help you out; prayers for Tana that she can kick this fever and malaise.

@grapau27you do have some of the nicest restaurants to enjoy. 😉

@Haljo1935I'm sorry yesterday was such a tough one; I can't begin to imagine the loss you've experienced.  Hugs to you from afar.

@kazuI'm glad you found people to help with your yard work - there's too much for you to do by yourself, let alone with your painful leg and foot.

Thanks for your wishes for DH yesterday - the echocardiogram was uneventful.  The cardiologist wasn't there, just the technicians, so he had the procedure and we left.  Unfortunately while we were there my phone decided it was time to give up the ghost.  First it went into maximum mode where the screen magnified itself to the point that all I could see was the number 5 from the home screen.  No amount of turning off and on worked, so after I dropped DH at home, I went and bought a new phone.  I've moved out of the stone age from an iPhone 7 to and iPhone 15, and now I have to figure out how to do things again.  Thank goodness for videos on you tube that answer many questions I had yesterday.

Not much happening for me today; while DH is away I'll tackle some of the clutter in the house and see what I can put into bags and boxes to take to the Salvation Army.   Really, do I need 11 eyeglass cases?

I'd like to try the drink of the day (first recipe), would probably like the wine, but it's a bit spendy, and oh yes to the lamb!!  Any of the 3 recipes sound absolutely delicious and I'd be happy to be served any of them.  With DH being away for the day and likely not returning until early evening, I'll be dining alone, so I think I'll make up a Greek salad and put a chicken breast in the air fryer to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in pain, in grief, in turmoil, in the path of destructive fires and storms, and for those suffering through the heat domes.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@grapau27, Graham I saw on Sky News about the idiot protesters defacing Stone Henge and spraying some orange substance on private jets at Stanstead Airport. I hope they prosecute them severely. Totally disgusting.

Some protesters called Just oil have also caused hold ups on main roads as well by lying down on main roads and stopping traffic.

They do deserve to be prosecuted for criminal acts.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

and because I dont like to type too big, back to the story-

last year our trash and water service decided to go with trash cans that are 65 gallons, so that they could do trash pick up once a week instead of two.  And they ordered these nifty trash trucks that the driver operated that would pick up the can, and empty the contents into the top of the truck.  Service complete with just one employee.  But for the last month, I have noticed that we are back to two guys on the back of the truck, picking up the cans and dumping them in the back of the truck.  So there are 3 employees, on each truck.  If the trash is not in the can, it wont get picked up.  Now I understand that when there was just the one guy, but really? there are 3 guys.  We do not exceed the can, but the nursing home across from us does, the family with 7 does, and the trash just lays there.  Then they pick it up after the trash guys are gone, throw it into the trash can, and haul it back up to the house until the next week.

I gotta tell you for two elderly somewhat feeble people taking the trash down the hill to the street  when it is full, is very hard! After my fall last month doing the trash, my left leg is still not right, and the ankle swells every day.  I want my tiny trash can back (i'll take two) 45 gallons was a lot easier to deal with. 

We had to go out last night and get paper towels (how did neither of us know we were out?) So we had dinner out and then shopped. 

What did our moms do without paper towels?  Laundry I guess.

b59e4052fd7164d092d7e9d28283f848.jpg

4c816f991128cee121e96473a3a42f59--good-morning-thursday-good-morning-my-love.jpg

• Like 29

I might have an internet problem for a couple of days 😭 so don't worry 😭 if I don't post again till Sunday with Father David's sermon.

I will miss you all.❤️

• Like 16
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from a mostly cloudy central Texas.  It is 77F and feels like 77F.  I knew it was humid when I opened the blinds this morning and found the outside of the window covered in condensation.  The weather app says it's 96% humidity with a dew point of 75F, and an 8mph wind.  However, our neighbor's flag is barely moving.  Our high today will be 90F.  As far as summer, today may be the beginning of summer on the calendar, but we've had summer weather for most of the month and part of May.  It rained last night, and was still raining when I went to bed.

Three interesting days with Flitch of Bacon Day being an interesting custom  Nystagmus is a medical condition that we should be aware of.  I am not a surfer, but it was fun watching the international surfers on Hawaii's North Shore.

The Bob Marley quote is good, and we should all look within at times.

I like lamb chops, and have them on BHBs since DH does not care for lamb.  I've only had lamb loin chops once, on Princess, and they were so over done, I didn't get them again.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice, but a bit pricey.

We have been to Oslo several times on Marco Polo and Prinsendam.

We never saw Jimi Hendrix in concert, but I remember the news coverage of the Newport '69 concert.

@ottahand7  Nancy, please wish John a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.  Enjoy your mini getaway.

@1ANGELCAT  I'm glad TT returned this morning.

@smitty34877  Terri, I'm glad your DB is coming to help for a few days.  I'm sorry Tana has a headache and fever, but am more concerned about the lack of interest in food.  I hope she improves, and the hospice nurse can help her.  I hope you can get some rest while your DB is there.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you feel better soon.  That was a generous compensation for missing the three ports.

@dfish  Debbie, I was not a lamb eater until I had some in a dish on a cruise.  Since then, I try to get lamb chops, but not loin chops, when I'm cruising.  Enjoy your lunch with former classmates.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you are getting help with your garden.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for all the explanations today.  I can't help thinking your dining venues are moving about on the ocean, but I know we won't find out for several more days.  

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I hope the scan determines that all the stones are gone.  I hope the PT continues to help you.

@ger_77  Gerry, my guess is that your DH's test yesterday did not show anything alarming.  When I ask the technician about such a test once, knowing he couldn't tell me any details, he said "if things were bad, you wouldn't be leaving the office."  I am happy your DH is able to go with his son and friends today, and think that is a good sign he is doing a lot better now.

@marshhawk  Annie, I remember the movie.  While I haven't surfed, we've snorkeled with black tip reef sharks.  The sharks and humans mainly ignored each other.

359702842_10224047999804741_1479947768852280860_n.jpg.9e3caaee7b06fe8e01fb9337b08c7281.jpg

369215994_7623954174288598_8245302773877346759_n.jpg.d47227ccbdbde560a908ac53a9a77b89.jpg

369543346_1722562041518417_5809659524681076102_n.jpg.0cb4ffad3ae70304f907856e1b4a0cf2.jpg

369634650_254727834144559_5860245545937748585_n.jpg.b686bd6fa0ff194e452b410289e5ad89.jpg

369703498_254296714187671_489724503563654884_n.jpg.4adef4877982bd13f5adcf53544d750a.jpg

369934488_6605768969480461_2370238324135614983_n.jpg.c287710875b569ca85c829f47f8a272d.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 10

We have been lucky enough to visit Oslo four times, with three of those times being on the Prinsendam in 2011 (North Cape and Murmansk cruise), 2016 and 2017.  The first time there was on the Marco Polo in 2005 on a North Cape cruise.

Of course, we visited all the major highlights, but the last time, we took the tram out to a part of town that is off the beaten path.  It was interesting to see areas without the tourists (except us) and how the locals lived.  I tried to find some pictures that showed some places other than the main tourist places, but included some well known sites.

The first two are the Radhuset where the Nobel Peace prize is awarded, and the part of hall where the ceremony is held.

P1020791.thumb.JPG.449c12a2edfa760dcc6aa02d28fe45a3.JPG

P1020809.thumb.JPG.9a1e6dd9d910d265150760d436f3694f.JPG

This one is a view of the Vigeland park from the top.

IMG_5898.thumb.JPG.aede0c6e3be4052dde8f77b532186f7b.JPG

The next two are from the Viking Ship Museum and the Fram Museum.  The Fram was the ship that Roald Amundsen sailed to Antarctica on his exploration to the South Pole.  In the same area as these museums are the Kon Tiki Museum and the Norsk Maritimt Museum, which was very interesting.

IMG_5880.thumb.JPG.f047d80ffb133dc4ede57a0ea20107bf.JPG

P1020760.thumb.JPG.1c0e779196cd408f8cdfe3adcb7031a4.JPG

These next to are for those who like to stroll through food markets and flower markets.  They were set up in a open area in front of the Oslo Cathedral.

DSC00397.thumb.JPG.39daa62b7857601b2701af319e493238.JPG

DSC00398.thumb.JPG.4aa12536a1532840b61d158a5ffe2263.JPG

We were lucky enough to be able to "crash" a tour of the auditorium in the Opera House, but the pictures are not as good as I'd like because of the lighting.  Of course we also walked on the roof.

I'll leave you with an overview of Oslo, from across the bay at the museum area.  The highlight of the picture is the blue hulled beauty that brought us to this fabulous city.

DSC04962.thumb.JPG.75acd111fcb0432a3609e873a978ab63.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  A front came through last nite and the temp dropped around 10 degrees.  It's raining now, but expected to stop soon.  I'd like to visit Oslo.  The flitch of bacon sounds interesting! 

@kazugood to hear you have help with your gardens.  Hoping you get answers and feel better soon

@smitty34877Sorry to hear about Tana, hopefully you can get her comfortable. 

@StLouisCruisersYou got nice compensation for the missed ports.  Feel better soon! 

@grapau27thanks for the explanations.  Your food pictures are great! 

Have a good day.  Maybe we'll get to the Concert in Gardens tonight!  Karen

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Today's sunrise photo was taken one year ago today just outside my neighborhood Middle School.  I hadn't noticed when I took the picture the reflection off the basketball backboard.

dawn620a.thumb.JPG.5d2f38c914af39d4bc8dca8b6c38bb82.JPG

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Several mentions of the Prinsendam reminded me that a couple of weeks ago someone mentioned Captain Roberts when he was with Windstar. And we and many others had cruised with him on the Prinsendam. We had dinner with him just the night before on the Seabourn Odyssey and I mentioned that. So, I thought perhaps those of you who have fond memories of him might like to see him today.

Capt.RobertsWelcomeAboard(2).thumb.jpg.62c90fcf170e9f979e23a9e6b32a894e.jpg

At the Captain's welcome

EmployeeAward(2).thumb.jpg.ca8b3f583f6689958aa2c0ccb0f77876.jpg

Honoring 20, 16 and two 15 years of service to crew members. Surprising to me was that the Doctor was the 20 year awardee.

I did ask Captain Roberts where he was going after the Odyssey leaves the fleet later this year, and at this time, he does not know. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

On our last visit to Oslo, our port of the day, was on the Zuiderdam in 2023.  We visited three museums that were conveniently located next to each other.  The first was the Norwegian Maritime Museum, which has a dugout canoe that’s estimated to be 1200 years old.  Other smaller boats were also on display.  The next museum was the Fram Museum, which showcases the Norwegians polar explorers.  We were able to board the Fram, which is a three masted schooner.  This 128’ boat, which was used from 1893 to 1912 in the exploration of both the north and south poles, was most notably used by Roald Amundsen in his quest to be the first man to reach the South Pole.  The next museum was the Kon Tiki Museum that honors Thor Heyerdahl, who led the expedition in 1947 where they sailed the Kon Tiki, a balsa wood raft, 5000 miles from South America to French Polynesia.

IMG_5906.thumb.jpeg.8e295fa6c0e857e99a80b9265ff5106a.jpeg

IMG_5913.thumb.jpeg.58bc97f13a131819816dc623d872098e.jpeg

IMG_5914.thumb.jpeg.00b22612604b0ffccb1cf7756bdf41de.jpeg

IMG_5907.thumb.jpeg.5ab56975668a0c7ab65bce7169cb5daf.jpeg

IMG_5912.jpeg.52015fd66608d230595754e06a38c684.jpeg

IMG_5911.thumb.jpeg.c076cde1fbacfccc4d8849139c3f9977.jpeg

IMG_5910.thumb.jpeg.3516e3d11f77188222fb15fae2941b02.jpeg

IMG_5909.jpeg.6b825b58b3981b61e0b47a184f49a0b6.jpeg

IMG_5908.thumb.jpeg.953af735aae431f8a691f71a92bc704d.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Even if I were married, I'd pass on the flitch of bacon. Nystagmus is serious when it's not caused by intoxication. I have a feeling that International Surfing Day doesn't refer to interweb surfing.

Lamb chops would be OK but I won't be having any. Neither version of the cocktail appeals to me. Thirsty Owl is the only Finger Lakes producer of Malbec that I can think of, $34.95.

I was at Oslo overnight in 2022 on the Voyager of the Seas. We docked at Filipstad, which is 1/2 mile from the Radhuset. It's an easy enough trip by bus, using the ruter.no app for the fare, but requires a connection along the way. My pictures are all from either the Munch museum or the Norsk Folkemuseum.

Munch selfie

Munchselfie.jpg.f57532d68a731c8e7961b573e0d6a2d0.jpg

Henrik Ibsen by Munch

IbsenbyMunch.jpg.0fd073e496d3c1a52f987742047bc67a.jpg

Munch3.jpg.58ad0c58cfa6ee7c74077c2b00263362.jpgMunch4.thumb.jpg.a7d5bb4ec8afe28f865e44f6073c969d.jpg

The Norsk Folkemuseum is a collection of historic buildings from all over Norway. This is a popular idea in the Baltic countries.

NorskFolk1.thumb.jpg.942e1332b1596008ee8bd62819b96f5c.jpgNorskFolk3.thumb.jpg.80b559d63d3d96f8c71bcf8a23125c7e.jpg

NorskFolk2.thumb.jpg.96317f91147c69eb14f5c9d0a6e054ef.jpg

I'll be out to Aldi as soon as possible. It will be cooler (ahem) at only 87°, with thunderstorms later.

Spinachinquisition.jpg.180c0a04197dd351ac25ceef24951747.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

Our development went from twice a week to once a week trash pick up. We got those big 65 gallon trash cans. Since we have a lot of elderly in our development, they also offered a smaller 30 gallon trashcan for those people that didn’t need the big one.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. They are promising rain this afternoon/evening and tomorrow.... we shall see. I have not turned off the sprinkler system as that would jinx the whole thing. Will wait until the first raindrops fall and then rush out. High today will be mid-70's which will be very nice. And it does seem to be clouding up a bit.

Talked to my neighbors in building 7 which is just along the hill (actually a glacial moraine)  where the mountain lions were seen. They say 2 nights ago there was a huge commotion on the hill in the wee hours of the morning.... lots of animals screaming and noise of thrashing about. No one has the nerve to go up the hill to see if there is some sort of body up there.... time will tell. The balconies on that building are close enough to the hill that an agile cat could make the leap.... glad I am further over. Oh yes, and we have had a bear sighting so the whole cast summer visitors seems to be here now. And meanwhile my not so nice next door neighbor in building 4 lets her chihuahua run loose. I have told my dogs no night time walks.

Have been to Oslo twice and friends took me on various tours including the ship museums. And I will eat lamb when offered. Ate a lot of it on the GANZ this year. It was very good.

Better take the dogs out again and pick my projects for today. Think I will skip the Thrift store run since the clouds are moving in rapidly.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a windy day at the beach

No rain currently although forecasted for later. I am playing golf this afternoon so I hope it is much later. Although the wind will be a challenge!

We are scheduled to stop in Oslo on the VOV. Thanks for the pictures. We plan to walk to the palace , Vigland Park and hopefully at least one of the museums.  

I wish that CC had another option to react to a post. Sometimes "like" just doesnt seem appropriate. 

As you can imagine Surfing is big around here. DS has been surfing since he could stand up! There are several "surf schools" here and it is a popular summer camp activity for the kids. At any given time, there ae always people out surfing. Today not a good day as the ocean is still really churning.

@smitty34877  Glad you have some help coming. Sorry that Tana is having a bad day.

Must have lunch before heading to the course. DD is staying home with DH today. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

Quick morning here as I am heading out at 9:00 AM to pick up a friend and then head to Canada to spend the day with my Mom. She's almost 98 and a going concern. You have to plan ahead to get on her social calendar. She wants us to take her to the bank, to get her lottery tickets, to the local bakery for scones, to the cemetery to clean up my Dad's headstone and then out to lunch at a local Italian place. We'll get up there about 11:00 and leave about 3:00 to come back down. It's about a 2 hour trip. 

Temps today are to hit 80F or higher so on the warm side. Yesterday was the pool and then a few errands. DS picked up the baseboards and got them painted but not sure on the schedule for installing. I may come home to some installed - he has a house key. 

Enjoy your Thursday! Just over 2 weeks to my next cruise and my friend going with me is sooooo excited. We'll be booking nail appointments today and going over a few things as I drive and she passengers. 

Karen

• Like 27

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Our development went from twice a week to once a week trash pick up. We got those big 65 gallon trash cans. Since we have a lot of elderly in our development, they also offered a smaller 30 gallon trashcan for those people that didn’t need the big one.

Same in our city. We don't need the big one and honestly the smaller one is probably still too big. But we kept the larger one because it's easier to roll out with little in it.

The challenge now is, as others said, the stuff that doesn't fit in that people set out next to the bins - it doesn't get picked up...

• Like 17

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I might have missed the reason for cancelling all three Greenland ports. Was it fog? I have been looking at two Celebrity cruises (NB or SB) for next year Reyjkavik via Prince Christian Sound, Greenland but may reconsider. That is the draw for us as we have been to Iceland.

• Like 11