Room Service Fee & Yes the Mobility challenge individuals have to pay the fee!

I sympathize with mobility challenges. My dad's degenerative muscle disease left him so profoundly disabled that he couldn't brush his own hair because he wasn't strong enough to lift the hairbrush. But he never took that to mean that he was entitled to free services. If everyone else was paying for room service, he would have paid too and not complained about it.

Walking with a cane entitles you to common courtesy from people around you so that they don't jostle you or make you walk faster than you should. It does not entitle you to free stuff.

In the windjammer, if you are having issues navigating with a plate, ask a manager for an employee to help you as you get your food, and to carry it to the table for you. They will do it. Other choice on every day for breakfast, and sea days for lunch, go to the main dining room where you will be served.

When RCL first started charging for room service the fee was removed for handicapped cruisers .So that is where the reference to room service being free for handicap came from.

When the charge first started, I know there were multiple posters that obtained a waiver of the room service fee, I don't think it was for all across the board, I thought it was on a case by case basis. I remember one poster with an autistic child that was more comfortable eating in their cabin and special needs was able to accommodate the family.

Just my two cents, but every cruise I have ever been on if we have asked a staff member for assistance, we have never had a staff member refuse. I have even seen them carry trays for individuals, and helping them choose their selections.

I do think the fee for room service is ridiculous, but we pretty much never order it. Honestly I figured they do it to discourage it being used.

maybe you'll will be a little more helpful, supportive or just maybe you'll see someone on a cane say hi we have an extra chair go get some food and come sit

I’m taking this excellent advice and will strive to look for people dining alone or struggling so that I can offer assistance. While I don’t believe I’ve ever deliberately ignored anyone in need, I can honestly say I don’t always LOOK for people needing assistance (other than in elevators) either.

In the windjammer, if you are having issues navigating with a plate, ask a manager for an employee to help you as you get your food, and to carry it to the table for you. They will do it. Other choice on every day for breakfast, and sea days for lunch, go to the main dining room where you will be served.

Just my two cents, but every cruise I have ever been on if we have asked a staff member for assistance, we have never had a staff member refuse. I have even seen them carry trays for individuals, and helping them choose their selections.

I do think the fee for room service is ridiculous, but we pretty much never order it. Honestly I figured they do it to discourage it being used.

I read through the entire thread before posting. The two of you have said what I was going to suggest. I have seen crew helping to select the food as well as carry it to the table. One could always ask that crew member for a drink.

As for food being cleared from the table it has happened to us on land as well as at sea. An over zealous employee got us both times.

When you are living with mobility challenges you'll understand! It has been really difficult traveling solo with a cane in one hand & trying to get food & drink! Thank goodness for the Solarium bistro! I couldn't even get a table at WJ the other day or park cafe today! I was stuffed into a small corner table that was about nearly impossible to get in & out of at the MDR! Yeah it is hard! Try it sometime and maybe you'll will be a little more helpful, supportive or just maybe you'll see someone on a cane say hi we have an extra chair go get some food and come sit, 4 days in not one person has offered that! No wonder why I can't stand people! Thank goodness for the best dog ever!

I spoke to GS about the charge & they didn't give a flying you know what!

I called Room Service back and said calmly that they should come collect the food and try it! They said they send someone & remove the charge!

I am not picky, but when something says it should have chicken it then it should be so, & pasta is pretty inedible if not cooked properly! The carrots were raw in the soup & noodles barely cooked!

We all have choices and mine is that my cruising days on Royal OVER, and that lake house is looking pretty good!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

I cruise with my sister, who has mobility issues. Have you spoken to the Maitre D' in the MDR about a different table. When they assign tables they don't know that you can't access the table you've been assigned unless you tell them. Hopefully that would solve some of your problems.

On our last cruise, the WJ had a separate section (but only for breakfast and lunch) that was specifically for disabled passengers. My sister is very independent and always wants to go through the buffet line herself. She is always offered assistance as she tries to navigate the buffet so I would assume that if you asked, someone in the WJ would be able to walk the lines with you.

I've had plenty of tasty food from RS in the past year. I guess I'm one of those missing sheep.

I've also had a couple items of poor quality. They've gone back

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Personally, I have never had RS except for breakfast. My son though, has had RS numerous times and he has been quite impressed with the quality. In his opinion, since the charge came into place along with the new RS menu , the options and quality have improved.

Speak calmly to Guest Services, and/or ask to speak to the Food & Beverage manager or the Hotel Director, with your photos, and calmly request a refund of your fee.

I fail to see what one's mobility has to do with it.

I agree.

I don't like the look of that food either but I eat steak all the time.

We always get a hot room service breakfast every morning because it's nice and we can laze on the balcony in PJs and robes while we eat it.

I just sign the bill and don't look at how much it is plus I give the server $2-3 tip every day.

They ring a couple of minutes before it turns up and it is always on time and hot.

When you are living with mobility challenges you'll understand! It has been really difficult traveling solo with a cane in one hand & trying to get food & drink! Thank goodness for the Solarium bistro! I couldn't even get a table at WJ the other day or park cafe today! I was stuffed into a small corner table that was about nearly impossible to get in & out of at the MDR! Yeah it is hard! Try it sometime and maybe you'll will be a little more helpful, supportive or just maybe you'll see someone on a cane say hi we have an extra chair go get some food and come sit, 4 days in not one person has offered that! No wonder why I can't stand people! Thank goodness for the best dog ever!

I spoke to GS about the charge & they didn't give a flying you know what!

I called Room Service back and said calmly that they should come collect the food and try it! They said they send someone & remove the charge!

I am not picky, but when something says it should have chicken it then it should be so, & pasta is pretty inedible if not cooked properly! The carrots were raw in the soup & noodles barely cooked!

We all have choices and mine is that my cruising days on Royal OVER, and that lake house is looking pretty good!

Life is what you make it.

We brought MotherInLaw and her wheelchair on 6 cruises sharing our JS and GS cabins with us and can understand to a large degree how hard it is for you especially on your own.

We have made lots of friends on cruises by asking in the Windjammer or bar if we could share a table when there were no empty tables.

Sometimes you have to be proactive and say hello first.

Best Wishes.

Graham.

Not to mentioned I have had my food cleared while I was refilling my ice tea! I had people take my table even though there was food on it looking like yes someone has left for just a second to get a refill! Again my attitude sucks! I think not!

I might suggest to any Solo Singles make up cute index cards

Saying someone is still here & please don't clear my food! Get a little stand thing for it to grab attention, so the over worked staff might see it & cruisers will hopefully respect it!!

I believe some of the cruises do single meet ups.

If I was single I would pop along and make some friends then at least you would have someone to keep your table when you went for tea and vice versa.

I have mobility problems and although I have sailed solo, I often go to the WJ myself. It is challenging but not as difficult as OP might suggest.

First I avoid very busy times. It is difficult to navigate, find a table, get a member of staff to help. Other times, everything falls into place. Usually a member of staff will offer to carry your tray, get you a drink etc. I also find it helpful to join other people and share a large table instead of sitting by myself. That solves all the problems of losing your space and having your food taken away.

It is difficult but many things in everyday life tend to be difficult if you have a disability. We just have to find a way to adapt.

You have a great attitude.

I normally don't say things about the disabled, but I really thought you were wheelchair bound, and some serious mobility issues. But you post cleared it up. You have a mobility challenge, and were looking for some sympathy with it in the original post. Room service is always worse than eating in the dining areas. The charge has nothing to do with your mobility challenge, and it certainly should be charged to you. It should not even be in this topic of conversation your issue.

Before I get bashed, let me tell you my wife is on disability for a life time illness. She walks with two arm canes, not just one. She also uses a mobility scooter, off the ship. She has never once, ordered room service. We are not always together on the ship. She always manages to get food in the Windjammer. Never has an issue at any sit down restaurant. Crew is always available to help. One of the things she loves about RCCL. Plus we travel around the world with these disabilities.

So although your food was not the greatest, don't use your challenges as an excuse not to eat in the dining areas of the ship.

Great read, lovely attitude.

So my attitude is bad, because I sent back disgusting inedible food? Well I am glad you know what is like, but you mentioned in a group much scenario different then going it as a solo! I have no one to scout or hold a table! I expect no less then the snarkiness of the people from this board!
I'd say your attitude is bad because of comments like these: When you are living with mobility challenges you'll understand! … Try it sometime and maybe you'll will be a little more helpful … No wonder why I can't stand people! … I expect no less then the snarkiness of the people from this board!

I agree that the food you've pictured is lackluster, and I agree that you have every right to (politely) complain ... but these nasty comments to online posters do nothing towards finding the path to resolving the problem.

I understand your problems. While I am able-bodied, I was a primary caretaker for my grandmother, who lived a century. I'm well aware of the small details that gave her trouble /the small things that made her life easier.

Given that you've had problems with tables and trays, here are my best suggestions:

- Skip the problematic buffet and stick to the MDR (or other venues that offer wait staff). That will remove the problem of finding a table, juggling a food tray and a cane, and refilling your tea. In the MDR you'll be seated with other cruisers, which will also make your meal a more social event (which you seem to want ... and not want).

- Contact RC's special needs department before you cruise, and let them know that you need a table kind of "out in the open" /easy to reach -- not a table in the corner or a table that requires walking through a maze of other tables/chairs. When you board, go to the dining room right away and talk to the Head Waiter -- he will be available during boarding to help with problems. Check out your table, and -- if it's not easy to reach -- request a change with him. If you do this right away (not while he's seating people for dinner), he will probably be able to help you.

- You say you were cruising alone. Perhaps next time invite a friend -- sounds like another set of hands could've been helpful.

- Canes are trouble -- you have to hold onto them. I've seen two types that might be easier for you: I've seen models that have a "wrist strap", which would allow you let go of the cane for a moment ... without losing it. I've also seen models with a three-pronged base, which allows you to let go of them for a moment without the can falling over.

Everyone seemed to agree about getting the fee reversed for poor quality. Just not for the reason of mobility issues.
I certainly agree with this comment. If the food tasted like it looks, it's sub-par ... but the reasoning makes no sense: No one should be served poor quality food. Disability has nothing to do with it.

Adventurous night for MDR! I hope all that Pasta & Rice is actually Cooked! I know the mashed potatoes have been fine! The fish at Bistro way over vcooked the steak looked as well the other day! Off to get wicked runny eggs, but the pancakes okay! Fruit pretty good!
You know, when someone dislikes a couple things, I tend to listen and sympathize ... when someone finds a negative to essentially every meal or every dish, I start to think that person's hobby is searching for problems.

I believe some of the cruises do single meet ups.

If I was single I would pop along and make some friends then at least you would have someone to keep your table when you went for tea and vice versa.

Nice idea! Expanding upon it:

- Once you've booked a cruise, search out (or start) a thread to get to know people.

- Maybe consider signing up for a suite so you'll have access to the lounge. That'd give you another social venue ... with the same people every evening, so you'd get to know them.

To the OP, while I sympathise with your disability, the below part that I bolded speaks volumes...

"Try it sometime and maybe you'll will be a little more helpful, supportive or just maybe you'll see someone on a cane say hi we have an extra chair go get some food and come sit, 4 days in not one person has offered that! No wonder why I can't stand people! Thank goodness for the best dog ever!"

You can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.

In regards to Windjammer, as other have suggested, ask assistance from the staff, while going through the lines.

For tables during busy times, if you see a party with empty seats at their table, ask if you can join them. You don't have to talk to them if you don't like. While dining alone I have had people ask if they can join me or if I see someone looking for a seat and there is room, I flag them down and have them join me. In either case sometimes we end up talking other times we don't.

In lounges, many times either just myself, or both me and wife often share lounge tables with other people.

In regards to drink refills. In the morning I almost have to beat them off with a stick in regards to drink refills. At other times they are not as efficient but are around.

In regards to the MDR. People request table reassignments and are usually accomdiated. As a single diner it should be a simple request to be accomdiated due to your disablity.

Originally posted by Justmekaren918 Not to mentioned I have had my food cleared while I was refilling my ice tea! I had people take my table even though there was food on it looking like yes someone has left for just a second to get a refill! Again my attitude sucks! I think not!

I believe if you fold your napkin in a triangle with the point to the edge of the table they (royal WJ staff) will leave your plate alone. Ask when you see a head watier supervisor but that was what I was told on EOS last summer.

Canes are trouble -- you have to hold onto them. I've seen two types that might be easier for you: I've seen models that have a "wrist strap", which would allow you let go of the cane for a moment ... without losing it. I've also seen models with a three-pronged base, which allows you to let go of them for a moment without the can falling over.

Love most of your advise to OP but for me canes with wrist straps are a non starter. My dad use to have one, I have lost count of the number of times he has hit someone with the cane, as he moves, with the cane on his wrist. I use to take the cane off him if I saw that he was going to put it on his wrist, for everyone's safety including mine. :D