Free Promos are Not Free

Djptcp

I love when people get on here, all huffy about something that NCL does and vow they will never cruise again on NCL. Do they think we care?

To me it’s just one less whiny, obnoxious , pretentious passenger to have to listen to on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not whining, just trying to do a little fact finding and attempt to understand logic. It’s the whole purpose of this website.

Hmmm...what ports do you speak of? As I've said, never encountered on other cruise lines...maybe they are absorbing the cost, but NCL will not?

Miami does and YES We were taxed on Carnival also while docked on embarkation day.

i find it hilarious that after spending all the money on airfare, cruise fare, hotel, food pre and post cruise people complain about maybe 6 dollars on 100 dollars worth of drinks purchased before the ship sets sail and while in US ports, at the most this may add 20 dollars to your week

Yes, a frozen margarita is less than $15. We tried all types of frozen drinks in January and none were over $15.
Thank you!

That would be upsetting for us frozen drinks lovers if we would have to pay more. Planning to try them all. :)

It’s only US ports, NY, Miami, Port Canaveral, etc have been charged in all three.

It is certainly NOT only US ports. As just one example, try sailing into or out of any Spanish port and you will be hit with their VAT tax on shipboard purchases.

I have been on two cruises so far. One out of Miami and one out of NYC. On both, I began drinking while still in port. I think between my partner and I we paid less than $10 on both cruises combined? The drink taxes imposed in US ports are just sales tax. So under 10%. If you have 2-3 drinks before leaving port, that's at most maybe $3? It is definitely NOT a big deal.

I simply asked a question...what ports were you charged a tax in addition to what you paid NCL for your drink package? That's all...not sure how my answers affect your experiences, but if it somehow makes you feel better about yourself, here you go:

On RCI and CCL I have never paid out of pocket for a tax at the following ports: Nassau, Cozumel, Falmouth, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, Roatan, Puerto Costa Maya, Ocho Rios...in other words, everywhere in the Caribbean.

On our Western Caribbean cruise on the Getaway we were charged taxes on our drinks prior to sailaway in Miami, I understand it is the same in New York. The taxes I was charged was less than a dollar for 2 drinks. You are correct about the ports you cited. The ports in the US that charge tax consider the ship just the same as a land based bar for tax purposes. It is hardly anything to get worked up about and it is not NCL gouging you. To avoid it simply wait until you are out to sea to start drinking.

I love when people get on here, all huffy about something that NCL does and vow they will never cruise again on NCL. Do they think we care?

To me it’s just one less whiny, obnoxious , pretentious passenger to have to listen to on the ship.

It is even more ridiculous when the 'NCL issue' is something that applies to all cruise lines.

It is certainly NOT only US ports. As just one example, try sailing into or out of any Spanish port and you will be hit with their VAT tax on shipboard purchases.
I think you can return VAT once you are leaving EU. There is some form.

Not for booze and food - only for large purchases (over about 90 Euros IIRC).

You are correct. Booze and food are consumed. The VAT refunds are for items that are taken home and thus are considered to be exported goods.

I always find NCL's "free" promos to be their version of a sale and a way to add value to a cruise where others don't have it.

Third passenger free was always great for us and saved a lot of money - cruises always priced out more on RCCL out of New York compared to NCL. The Unlimited Beverage package is a great added value for us and I think this is the reason it is so popular: At regular prices, I won't drink more than 1 or 2 day. For a 7 day for 2 people that's over $300 in drinks... a lot more for longer cruises. But the price of the UBP means we each have to drink 7 or 8 a day to break even! We don't drink that much. So it's in the cruise fare and we can enjoy drinking and not worry about the price once we've made final payment. win. So we don't get $500 off the cruise fare on a sale, instead we get more than that in extra value. Okay with me. By shopping carefully we've always found lower prices to begin with choosing itineraries and dates that are better than others.

Port Canaveral? RCI and CCL do not pass on any kind of tax to the customer. If one exists, they absorb it. Same goes with Fort Lauderdale. Can't speak to NY or Miami.

As others have posted, the cost is mere pennies per drink, and in the grand scope of vacationing, is so inconsequential that I can’t believe people complain about it on here.

If it bothers you that much, then stick with CCL and RCI. Everyone has their own reason for choosing who to cruise with, maybe that is yours.

I always find NCL's "free" promos to be their version of a sale and a way to add value to a cruise where others don't have it.

Third passenger free was always great for us and saved a lot of money - cruises always priced out more on RCCL out of New York compared to NCL. The Unlimited Beverage package is a great added value for us and I think this is the reason it is so popular: At regular prices, I won't drink more than 1 or 2 day. For a 7 day for 2 people that's over $300 in drinks... a lot more for longer cruises. But the price of the UBP means we each have to drink 7 or 8 a day to break even! We don't drink that much. So it's in the cruise fare and we can enjoy drinking and not worry about the price once we've made final payment. win. So we don't get $500 off the cruise fare on a sale, instead we get more than that in extra value. Okay with me. By shopping carefully we've always found lower prices to begin with choosing itineraries and dates that are better than others.

Other cruise lines also offer some form of free beverage package. MSC does for example AND they don't charge you gratuities on it at all. Now that's truly FREE.

On our Western Caribbean cruise on the Getaway we were charged taxes on our drinks prior to sailaway in Miami, I understand it is the same in New York. The taxes I was charged was less than a dollar for 2 drinks. You are correct about the ports you cited. The ports in the US that charge tax consider the ship just the same as a land based bar for tax purposes. It is hardly anything to get worked up about and it is not NCL gouging you. To avoid it simply wait until you are out to sea to start drinking.

you are right, it applies only the sailing out of American ports. I don't care which lines someone has sailed. Some people have one bad experience and for years think their job is to let everyone know how bad the product is. Oh well, there are whiners everywhere.

It's unreal. People pay thousands for a cruise, then complain about pennies on sales tax.

The only reason some people come here to CC is to complain. It gives their life purpose, in their minds. We all know who they are.

The only reason some people come here to CC is to complain. It gives their life purpose, in their minds. We all know who they are.

Cruises are among the most awesome experiences in life! Hardly worth complaining about.

I'd be surprised if you even get a chance to complain about anything, leave alone petty taxes.

Cruises are among the most awesome experiences in life! Hardly worth complaining about.

I'd be surprised if you even get a chance to complain about anything, leave alone petty taxes.

I've been on dozens of cruises over the years and have never needed to complain about anything. Sure, some cruise lines are different in what they offer or specialize in, but I know that when I book and am just happy to be on a cruise and not at work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Remember "Good Deals" are subjective. Paying $176 in gratuities if you don't drink their maximum of drinks is NOT a good deal for some. I NEVER drink even $176 in drinks....so having to pay up front what NCL calls "gratuities" on a service not yet rendered is far from FREE no matter what the cost of the package is on other lines? I am not against paying the gratuities....BUT only for WHAT I drink, not a 'flat fee' on drinks not served!! NCL probably makes out well on this promo (it is a business after all and they wouldn't offer it if they lost $$).

I agree 100% with this!