Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

On 10/4/2017 at 8:38 AM, froggy9143 said:

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

Well, I've been on enough cruises to experience it all.  Even if they don't wash their hands after using the restroom, sit in the Lido buffet and watch people who lick their fingers, get up and go through the buffet line, touching serving spoons, sit down and repeat the finger licking.  I don't say anything to anyone, I say it to the crew so they remove the serving spoons.  I believe this is how noro is started - not in the restrooms, but in the buffet and everything that is touched by a carrier outside of it.

Even with someone standing at the door telling you to wash your hands before coming in, the crew cannot force you to do so.  It's what is happening inside the buffet that's more dangerous.  Oh, and people eating french fries while in line then licking their fingers is another problem that exists.  Only say something to the crew about it - even then they won't say anything to the passenger.  CYA and forget about what others are doing.  JMHO.

PS Finger licking goes on in the MDR as well, just sit and watch....Tablemates especially go to town licking their fingers.  People have done this all their lives and will continue to do it because it's a habit that they've never been taught to understand that it's just plain nasty.  We're ALL guilty of it.

Edited by elliair
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Donald said:

I just completed my annual USPH refresher course in Miami, with all the USPH Inspectors and experts.

We talked about many things - as we always do. Many of them new developments.

We were reminded that two of the most unsanitary places around us are trousers pockets and ladies' purses.

Then the inspector asked how many of us were carrying mobile telephones.

Nearly everyone pulled a telephone out of a trouser pocket or purse.

Then the inspector asked us how often we sanitized our telephones.

Most of the attendees replied, "Never", or "Rarely".

Then he asked how often we pushed our smartphones against our faces, loaned them to others to push them against their faces, or passed them around so everyone could hold the telephone and see a photo or video.

Most in the room replied that they did this quite often.

Then the inspectors gave a presentation, predicting that mobile telephones will soon be the #1 cause of Norovirus infection on land and at sea.

An additional note on hand sanitizers. Most are barely effective against Viruses. For those few that do have some effect on viruses, one needs to be aware of something called "dwell time". This is the period of time that an anti-viral agent must remain in a liquid state in order to have any effect against viruses.

The few - extremely expensive - hand sanitizers that do kill norovirus spores require a dwell time of around 5 minutes.

If, like most people, you immediately shake or wipe your hands dry after applying a hand sanitizer, you have removed any chance that it will actually do something beneficial for you.

The same theory applies to your mobile telephone. If you apply sanitizer, the telephone must remain wet for at least 5 minutes to get any positive effect at all.

Good points made about cell phones.  How many people use the restroom and take the opportunity while sitting on the toilet to read their emails, etc.  I admit that I carry my cell phone in my pocket, but I've never taken it out of my pocket in the restroom.  GAG!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elliair said:

Well, I've been on enough cruises to experience it all.  Even if they don't wash their hands after using the restroom, sit in the Lido buffet and watch people who lick their fingers, get up and go through the buffet line, touching serving spoons, sit down and repeat the finger licking.  I don't say anything to anyone, I say it to the crew so they remove the serving spoons.  I believe this is how noro is started - not in the restrooms, but in the buffet and everything that is touched by a carrier outside of it.

Even with someone standing at the door telling you to wash your hands before coming in, the crew cannot force you to do so.  It's what is happening inside the buffet that's more dangerous.  Oh, and people eating french fries while in line then licking their fingers is another problem that exists.  Only say something to the crew about it - even then they won't say anything to the passenger.  CYA and forget about what others are doing.  JMHO.

PS Finger licking goes on in the MDR as well, just sit and watch....Tablemates especially go to town licking their fingers.  People have done this all their lives and will continue to do it because it's a habit that they've never been taught to understand that it's just plain nasty.  We're ALL guilty of it.

That's the exact reason why using the sanitizer is next to useless.

On 10/4/2017 at 7:25 PM, rojoand8 said:

Those people you think aren't washing their hands after using the restroom may be doing what I do--use a personal wipe after I've touched those grimy doors. Where do you think my hands were in that bathroom? My hands pull down my slacks and pull them back up. I shake things dry. If I need to do the other kind of business I use my cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're 'shaking things dry' then you're within the "if-you-touch-these-areas,-wash-afterwards" zone.      

18 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

If you're 'shaking things dry' then you're within the "if-you-touch-these-areas,-wash-afterwards" zone.      

No, if you’re a woman, shaking it dry means doing the shimmy. No touching involved. 

If I had to even consider wearing protective equipment to prevent being infected by unclean people raised by wolves, I would immediately and seriously reconsider my vacation choices and options.

What has happened to the people on this planet?

• Like 3

I am so surprised when I see people  leaving the toilets without washing their hands. I mean come on! Also, I pay so much attention to hygiene while on the ship, coz no one wants to get sick on their holiday. But, when i go in the buffet, after washing  my hands and i see someone in the line licking their fingers or eating while they are choosing their food, I feel like punching them! They lick their fingers and then touch the tongs. People, please stop doing that!

• Like 3

Are my husband and I the only ones that have noticed that in the buffet eating area, those that clean used (dirty) tableware, plates, glasses and coffee cups off the tables, are the same hands, unwashed, that bring you your OJ, coffee, milk, tea, etc. to you???

I mentioned this on our post cruise survey last May but have not heard anything or cruised since.  We will be on the Sky Jan 11th for 14 days, so will observe. 

PS: we get our own drinks when eating in the buffet.

44 minutes ago, #love2cruise said:

Are my husband and I the only ones that have noticed that in the buffet eating area, those that clean used (dirty) tableware, plates, glasses and coffee cups off the tables, are the same hands, unwashed, that bring you your OJ, coffee, milk, tea, etc. to you???

I mentioned this on our post cruise survey last May but have not heard anything or cruised since.  We will be on the Sky Jan 11th for 14 days, so will observe. 

EEK!  We always get our drinks just because we can and prefer to, but I had never thought of that.  Good heads up.  I know on NCL, they only have one person getting coffee(they walk around with a coffee cart) and designated people cleaning tables, now I can see why. 

1 hour ago, #love2cruise said:

But who do you think stacked those drink cups?

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, #love2cruise said:

Sorry, but don't know what your question means?

You said you get your own drinks.  But who do you think touched those cups before you?  Lets face it, buffets all have their "issues" when it comes to hygiene.  HAL has gone their own way by minimizing the opportunity for folks to touch things in the buffet.  Most items that need to be served are only touched by the serving staff.  Even the salad bar has become a "salad station" where staff makes your salad per your specifications (you tell them what to put in the bowl).  Other items are already in individual portions so if you want a piece of cake you take a small plate with a slice.  Want a sandwich and you take a pre-made sandwich in its own paper bag.  Despite all these precautions HAL seems to have as many health related problems as cruise lines that have a more open buffet.   

We do not have the answers other then using a lot of common sense.  DW and I use a hand product (sold by a company called ZooNo) that adheres to one's skin and is supposed to be effective for about 24 hours.  We also do frequent handwashing.  Anecdotally neither one of us has ever suffered a major GI problem (or Noro) on more then 100 cruises (over 1200 days).  Perhaps we have just been lucky, or maybe it is keeping our hands relatively clean and sterile.  That being said, we have both had more then our share of respiratory infections....but it is difficult to avoid folks who are coughing and sneezing.

Hank 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Do you propose that everyone handling food on princess skip the gloves as well?

There was no proposal in my post;  just a musing about the multiple threads about limiting the use of single use plastics, vinyl and rubber products.There seems to be a conflict in the suggestion for passengers to bring their own food handling gloves. 

If you want to propose what you suggested of my innocuous post, by all means propose it. I happen to be comfortable in washing my hands thoroughly. 

Regards,

Tom

Not too many years ago the Buffet had stacks of paper napkins as you entered the area.   It was so easy to grab a clean napkin and use it to grab the spoons.   Once at the table it was thrown away.   I'm sure cost cutting  and environment was the reason for the removal of the napkins.   Then they had the silverware rolled and stacked  in a cloth napkin as you entered.  A bit more difficult but I could open the cloth napkin and  use that to handle the spoons.    I too on the last cruise had a gentleman in front of me in the buffet lick his fingers then proceeded to touch the next spoon.    I wish they would bring back the paper napkins.

36 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Your concern about saving the planet seems wrongly placed as plenty of plastic is already in use and will continue to be.

Actually lines are cutting out a lot of single use plastics (balloons,  toiletries, straws, and wouldn't be surprised if there was more) 👍

On 10/4/2017 at 10:38 AM, froggy9143 said:

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

Sad to say, but the person responsible for your health is largely the person you see in the mirror. I always assume I am the only person on the ship who practices even the most basic sanitary practices.  Although it is not 100% effective, we always carry a small bottle of Purell when we leave the cabin to be used very often. In particular, just after a trip to the buffet. I assume the serving utensils in the lines were used by those carrying the plague......I probably am not too far off in my assumption!😧

On 10/5/2017 at 12:48 PM, runnerodb83 said:

...........It also doesn't hurt to wipe down phones, remotes, and frequently touched surfaces in your cabin when you board the ship with disinfecting wipes.

Yep, first thing we do when entering our cabin after embarking. I have no idea if it does any good, but like using Purell often along with washing at appropriate times, I don't see how it could possibly hurt. 😎

Currently aboard the Caribbean Princess I was greeted at the entrance of the buffet area by two staff members "inviting" me to use the newly wall mounted and installed open sinks to wash my hands before proceeding.  The well placed and easily used sinks supply ample soap, running hot water and immediate disposable paper towels.  An excellent idea especially for those who are returning from tours who proceed directly to the buffet area.  Well done!!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Actually lines are cutting out a lot of single use plastics (balloons,  toiletries, straws, and wouldn't be surprised if there was more) 👍

Please let us know when the USPH updates their regulations to not require food handlers to wear gloves...

5 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

Currently aboard the Caribbean Princess I was greeted at the entrance of the buffet area by two staff members "inviting" me to use the newly wall mounted and installed open sinks to wash my hands before proceeding.  The well placed and easily used sinks supply ample soap, running hot water and immediate disposable paper towels.  An excellent idea especially for those who are returning from tours who proceed directly to the buffet area.  Well done!!!

Unfortunately, crew only does this for a few days and then they give up.  We were on the CB last month and was happy to see the hand washing stations.   One time a group walked right by without either using Purell or the sink to wash hands.   Then I saw the man swipe his nose with his hand.  Called him on it but it was like talking to a brick wall.   Do my best to take sanitizer with me and use it after going thru the Markeplace and before eating.  

Even if people wash their hands first before entering and handling the buffet serving spoons, then they go back in for more food

and don't wash again. On recent Caribbean Princess cruise we saw someone use their hands to scoop up potato chips. I am sure they weren't the only ones doing that.

Mostly we eat in the dining rooms.but not always.

I have seen people leave the restrooms without washing hands. Even if careful and not eating in buffet, how about the handrails

on stairs.

On 10/8/2019 at 5:42 PM, waltd said:

Not too many years ago the Buffet had stacks of paper napkins as you entered the area.   It was so easy to grab a clean napkin and use it to grab the spoons.   Once at the table it was thrown away.   I'm sure cost cutting  and environment was the reason for the removal of the napkins.   Then they had the silverware rolled and stacked  in a cloth napkin as you entered.  A bit more difficult but I could open the cloth napkin and  use that to handle the spoons.    I too on the last cruise had a gentleman in front of me in the buffet lick his fingers then proceeded to touch the next spoon.    I wish they would bring back the paper napkins.

Did anyone call out that filthy PAX?

• Like 1