Can I bring honey and maple syrup

jcCruiserNYC

A question to you guys the veteran NCL cruisers ...

Does NCL allow honey (in commercially packaged bottles) to be brought on board?

How about bottled maple syrup?

I ask because I like to use honey for my coffee and tea, maple syrup for my pancakes and waffles. While the ship may provide these condiments, I cannot be certain that they don't contain ingredients that I can't consume, such as high fructose corn syrup, etc. Hence, I want to bring my own *pure* sweetners.

I ask because I like to use honey for my coffee and tea, maple syrup for my pancakes and waffles. While the ship may provide these condiments, I cannot be certain that they don't contain ingredients that I can't consume, such as high fructose corn syrup, etc. Hence, I want to bring my own *pure* sweetners.

Are you bringing your own meals too?! It's a cruise ship. I doubt anything is made without high fructose corn syrup and other crap.

I hear ya! I'm only guessing but I don't see why you can't. We bring other things to eat since we like some snacks they don't offer. I'd make sure they were both sealed and packed in a zip lock just in case. Happy sailing!

There is no prohibition against bringing those items on board. I suggest that you bring small enough quantities that you don't mind throwing what you don't use away, because you can't bring it back off the ship after it is open.

I’ve brought maple syrup in factory sealed containers may times.

The fake stuff isn’t an option when you live in one of the top producing maple syrup counties in Canada!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bringing sealed bottles of honey and maple syrup is fine.

I would pack them plastic zip lock bags and put them in checked luggage if you are flying to the port.

Being near a pre diabetes diagnosis, I am aware of high fructose corn syrup etc added to foods, and try to stay away from processed foods.

BTW-“sugar free” food items are usually made with artificial ingredients. Not healthy choice as you may think.

Bringing sealed bottles of honey and maple syrup is fine.

I would pack them plastic zip lock bags and put them in checked luggage if you are flying to the port.

Being near a pre diabetes diagnosis, I am aware of high fructose corn syrup etc added to foods, and try to stay away from processed foods.

BTW-“sugar free” food items are usually made with artificial ingredients. Not healthy choice as you may think.

I've brought my own Maple Syrup a couple of times, so much better than that served on the ship...in my opinion anyway. We have a Maple Sugar bush in our area so it just seems nature that we'd prefer our own. They do check the bottle, in my case it was in shape of a Maple Leaf, to ensure it is the real deal but once confirmed it was no issue.

The small containers were prizes at the M&G, someone enjoyed it with pancakes or waffles... :hearteyes:

;)

I use to bring a bottle on honey but now bring Manuka honey that I got on Amazon that comes in individual serving sealed envelopes..Lighter weight and better honey.

• Like 1

I know I’ve already responded but Cc doesn’t allow editing after 5 mins...

The Haven restaurant has pure maple syrup (upon request), honey is in small single serving glass jars on each table.

Seriously? The OP has a valid, sincere question for those in CC.

I totally disagree. This poster gave a sincere and forthcoming response.

I get op’s concern about hfcs, but this is in soooooo many food items today it’s almost impossible to avoid. It is 100% impossible to avoid on a cruise ship. And if that is her concern, she should know that simply bringing on honey and maple syrup will actually NOT avoid consumption of hfcs.

This was a great question, and one I wished I had thought to ask before my last cruise.

The Haven does have single serving jars of honey, but it’s imported from France before being bottled in New Jersey then sold to Norwegian.

While there’s nothing wrong with any of that in and of itself...it just doesn’t taste as good as what I get from my own bees.

being a native vermonter, i refuse to eat fake syrup. if it doesnt come from a tree, i dont want it anywhere near me. its not a health thing for me, rather a taste preference. ive considered bringing my own syrup on the ship since i can never eat pancakes on board with their version of "syrup".

i dont get how they enforce you taking OFF the ship an opened bottle. we do easy walk off, there is no scanning or checking of our bags.

Are you bringing your own meals too?! It's a cruise ship. I doubt anything is made without high fructose corn syrup and other crap.

Are you kidding? A great many commercial products use high fructose sugar as an ingredient. Start checking your labels, you will be surprised.

Pat

They have (or had) Smuckers Sugar Free Maple Syrup.

That’s not maple syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it isn't, but is a good thing for those of us who have diabetes. They still have it readily available in the buffet and on request in the MDR.