Get a grip on prices!!

gordylad

Come on Celebrity..........looking at a sv cabin 12 night med cruise in Sept 2019. $6640 OR £5000.

This is for the same old same old med cruise to the usual ports, nothing out the ordinary.

I mean really...........

Come on Celebrity..........looking at a sv cabin 12 night med cruise in Sept 2019. $6640 OR £5000.

This is for the same old same old med cruise to the usual ports, nothing out the ordinary.

I mean really...........

We are Celebrity Elite Plus and had a 2019 Med cruise booked. Out of curiosity I looked at Holland America's site to compare. What I found was amazing! We are now booked on a HAL 23 day Med. cruise (on their newer ship Konsingdam) for a bit more than Celebrity"s 10 day. Never again will I book a Celebrity cruise without checking other lines. We have sailed HAL and consider it in the same league as Celebrity.

We have a B2B Caribbean cruise later this year which we booked early January 2018. Now if we purchased the same cruise/cabin/perks today the price would be 47% higher. Now that's ridiculous and if the gullible wish to pay these prices so be it, we have jumped ship for 2019 forward.............bye, Celebrity. Remember you a mass market cruise line and premium prices are not for you.......

We have a B2B Caribbean cruise later this year which we booked early January 2018. Now if we purchased the same cruise/cabin/perks today the price would be 47% higher. Now that's ridiculous and if the gullible wish to pay these prices so be it, we have jumped ship for 2019 forward.............bye, Celebrity. Remember you a mass market cruise line and premium prices are not for you.......

To be sure, my Edge sailing for next year is up 25% I Am so happy we booked when we did... Who wants to pay more for the same product if they do not have to. Just like airfares, if there is NO emergency to go, one can always postpone or change their mode of getting to the destination, within reason.

The price rise is a way to weed out those who do not want to pay the requested prices on X... the real options are: book earlier, watch for an intermittent price drop or book after final payment, none of which options are 'guaranteed' to yield a lower fare.

As noted here and elsewhere on this board, there are cruise lines which are offering (much) lower fares for 'comparable' itineraries and it may be advisable to look elsewhere when price is an issue. Also, there are TA's which may offer a price which is 'acceptable' where one can book.

Creativity and searching for acceptable fares is not a new concept, if one does not want to go that route, then, what can anyone say?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

We were looking at two med cruises for next May. Fairly high prices but man there are 100s of cabins available. We’ll hold out for a sale which has to be coming on some itineraries. There’s more available than sold on the two we were looking at. Neither are on Edge.

The prices are crazy! I booked a March 2019 ABC Islands cruise in January. I check in regularly hoping for a sale. Nope. There are 2 cabins left in my 1A category and the price has gone up $800 per person for a 2 person stateroom. When I booked I received 2 perks, now they're offering 1.

I was thinking about moving my cruise so was looking at cruises that are past final payment. There are some deals for a similar itinerary in September. I guess if you can book last minute deals, you can get good deals. For now, I'm sticking with the March cruise, perfect time for the Caribbean after a cold grey winter and excellent itinerary. But I will be taking a second look at HAL.

We wanted to move a Far East cruise on millennium to abc on equinox, cruise only (10 days verandah with classic drinks unlimited WiFi) this Nov but the price together with the admin fee means we can do a 14 day on Marella all inclusive (Drinks package, gratuities, transfers) to uae including premium club flights with change no brainer

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All our recent X cruises have followed an identical pattern. It's easy to track on the "fish" site. For non-suites opening price is somewhat higher than same sailing prior year. Price then goes up, up, up, sometimes doubling. Then as sailing date approaches price drops sharply, often below opening price.

If you're flexible it pays to wait. We've tired of their games and have booked our first Viking Ocean sailing for this October.

Went from doing 40-60 days a year, mostly on Celebrity, we've done nothing since December of 2016 and nothing in sight. We do have a Grand Suite booked on the Allure of the Seas, for seven days in October as probably our last hurrah. It was $1550 p.p. with prepaid gratuities, and $200 obc from RCL. Suite guest get free internet. Our other choice was a Junior Suite, which is 25% smaller, on Celebrity. It was $140 per person, per day more, and for that money you get the Premium drink package and another $100 obc over the RCL offer, The drink package is of no interest to us and we normally don't spend any money on the ship so the extra $100 obc would be even less than worthless. If things work out, we would consider doing more suites on RCL but I think the ship has sailed, no pun intended, on Celebrity.

I don't see any value in the product currently offered and I don't see anything happening to change it. Time to possibly move on.

I’m moving on to Azamara. Amazing small ship experience and with Celebrity raising prices, AZ doesn’t seem that much more expensive, especially if you can get one of their specials.

Unless the price is cheap plus the itinerary is great, I won’t be sailing Celebrity again. If price and itinerary are right, then that’s another story....

The only X cruise we have booked is on the Edge, which we thankfully booked when first opened up. We have recently done more HAL cruises, which are much more reasonably priced. The only other booked cruise is on Oceania next year. We are looking forward to trying some of the other lines again and MSC. As much as we like X, there prices are out of line, in my opinion. However, we did love our most recent X cruise on the Constellation that was only $100 per day pp in Aqua. Those deals are few and far between now.

We used to sail on X twice each year until around 2014. Our last cruise was 7 nts on Cunard in Queens Grill for £1000 less pp than the typical X price for a balcony.

I now rarely even look at Celebrity, just can't reconcile the value on offer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

We have not cruised on X for 2 years after doing 25 cruises with them. AQ and Suite prices became too high. In the last 2 years we found good deals and cruised with Crystal, Seabourn and Oceania.

I do have a Edge Cruise booked for 2020 as the rates start to drop then. I also have 2 cruises booked on the Solstice 1 in AQ and 1 in SV. X is still the best Mass Cruise line but not worth luxury prices.

I’m moving on to Azamara. Amazing small ship experience and with Celebrity raising prices, AZ doesn’t seem that much more expensive, especially if you can get one of their specials.

Unless the price is cheap plus the itinerary is great, I won’t be sailing Celebrity again. If price and itinerary are right, then that’s another story....

I have one lined up on Azamara, but it's much more expensive than Celebrity for a similar itinerary. The reason we booked Azamara was that it can berth right in Bangkok, while Celebrity, because the ship is larger, books two hours away. That port is three days. There are two days in Saigon where Azamara is right in town and Celebrity is 80 miles away.

However, there are trade offs. You won't get the same entertainment on Azamara and there is much more to do on Celebrity ships. It's really a different type of vacation.

We have been lucky on Celebrity. I found a couple travel agents who usually give me 10% discounts plus an additional perk.

After 27 Celebrity cruises, we also have decided enough is enough.

We're taking our first Oceania cruise this July on a 12 night British Isles cruise on the Marina. We booked a cruise only Concierge class room (282 sq ft) that includes 3 land tours each, unlimited free internet, complimentary coffees, sodas, etc. for the same $6650 the OP stated Celebrity wanted for a SV cabin.

Thought about doing Northern Europe again next summer (did it on Constellation in the past).

If you shop around, you can find some real impressive prices on =X=.

Like a 12 day Northern Europe, plain vanilla itinerary, AQ, $800 per day.

Or a Sky Suite for $1325 per day. Royal Suite $2100 per day.

Have 5 cruises booked on AZ, O and Viking. Not one of those are in those ranges. A couple less than half. Of the AQ price, no less!

I have experienced both extreme ups and downs of prices, everything depends on the demand. My cases

1) Eclipse 03/18/18 14 nights Caribbean, we booked in June 2017 interior, before the final payment there were several price reductions, I was upgraded to veranda 2C, after the final payment they continued to lower prices such that C1 became cheaper than the interior that I had reserved, here in MX I could not receive the upgrade, but fellow roll call managed it from inside to concierge!

2) Summit 10/07/18, New England and Canada, we booked last month an interior GTY at $ 1,100 cheaper than the interior CAT12, also received the promotion, cash payment deferred to 12 months without interest.

3) Silhouette B2B 03/15/19 (9 nights) and 03/24/19 (12 nights) Caribbean, we booked in July 2017 CAT 2B, currently the prices have increased too much $ 1,640 in the first leg and $ 1,225 in the second leg (which contrast with the Eclipse of 03/18/18)

4) Eclipse B2B2B 09/22/19 (11 nights), 03/10/19 (10 nights) and 10/13/19 (7 nights) Hawaii and Pacific Coast- Book in December 2017 when the itineraries were launched, currently for the 1st and 2nd legs there were 2 price cuts the 1st a month ago $ 1,100 for each, and this week $ 400 in each, the surprising thing was that in the last update, they added $ 200 in each leg, the savings discount for summer and $ 90 in each leg for specialty restaurant.

I'm happy to be sailing with Celebrity and with my TA

The prices for 2019 are outrageous. They are actually higher for AQ than Oceania on a couple Caribbean sailings! almost $8k for a 9 night...ya good luck.

Next year is the first year in a long time we have nothing booked with Celebrity, which is a shame as we just made Elite plus. I won't give up on X, but until the prices come down we will be sailing on other lines :(

The only X cruise we have booked is on the Edge, which we thankfully booked when first opened up. We have recently done more HAL cruises, which are much more reasonably priced. The only other booked cruise is on Oceania next year. We are looking forward to trying some of the other lines again and MSC. As much as we like X, there prices are out of line, in my opinion. However, we did love our most recent X cruise on the Constellation that was only $100 per day pp in Aqua. Those deals are few and far between now.

Would you compare Celebrity and HAL in terms of their smoking policy please? I am very allergic to smoke so it is an important issue for us (and a reason we have continued with Celebrity).

Thanks.